Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 30, 2017 11:07 AM

Oct 2010
Just beautiful. Another entry for the "it hurts not to get this" folder, along with new Luke+Han+Leia scenes and a full series of Eighth Doctor adventures outside audio dramas.

On the plus side, moe moe lady Doctor this Christmas, hooray.
Dec 1, 2017 9:47 PM
Nov 2017
Nope. Couldn't take it. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far. No self-respecting plane captain would let those girls anywhere near those jets. No pilot with half a brain would try to fly in a goth loli or schoolgirl outfit. I gave up just after the OP to confirm I really saw what I thought I saw.

I'd be respectful to Aoi telling her why I couldn't watch. But to Kinoshita, I'd be blunt. Ridiculous to the point of stupid.
Mar 17, 2018 7:41 AM

Mar 2014
That was pretty terrible. Would rather have had 2 episodes of the first one.
Apr 21, 2018 4:41 PM
Mar 2016
Is this the only anime in existence with an Israeli character? I'm having trouble coming up with any others.
Sep 7, 2018 6:41 AM

Mar 2014
Nogame-sensei is really into this kind of manga, huh.
Nov 3, 2018 7:00 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, those clouds xD I coudn't stop looking at them during the whole episode.
Dec 29, 2018 5:42 AM

Jun 2014
DarkAudit said:
Nope. Couldn't take it. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far. No self-respecting plane captain would let those girls anywhere near those jets. No pilot with half a brain would try to fly in a goth loli or schoolgirl outfit. I gave up just after the OP to confirm I really saw what I thought I saw.

I'd be respectful to Aoi telling her why I couldn't watch. But to Kinoshita, I'd be blunt. Ridiculous to the point of stupid.

Absolutely necro-ing this but you're blaming the wrong one, isnt this a manga adaptation? You should blame the author instead of the director.
May 19, 2019 6:05 AM

May 2018
okay, that was a hell lot more fun than exodus

plus aria and cathy are so gay
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Oct 23, 2019 7:23 AM

Apr 2013
That was pretty good, even though the CGI lacked a bit detail in some scenes. Not really my kind of genre, but I still enjoyed it.
Dec 6, 2019 7:39 PM

Feb 2018
I kind of wish the CGI planes had blended a bit more with the backgrounds during the fight, but I certainly couldn't have done better so I'm not one to talk (also all of the other art, character designs, backgrounds, etc. more than make up for it). I honestly really liked this and wish this was also a full cour show (might have to check out the manga). Really liked the characters too, and while Exodus may have been more 'fun', this would've had me a lot more emotionally invested in the characters. I may sort of interested in knowing more of what happened between episodes 1 and 13, such as knowing the characters' pasts, how much they develop and why they act the way they do. Also, yuri undertones which are great, but knowing the ending makes it pretty heartbreaking even in the SOL scenes. Overall 8/10, would watch a full cour.
Jan 1, 2020 3:01 PM
Nov 2018
I thought this was a cool episode. I would watch a full series on this haha
Feb 20, 2020 6:52 PM

Oct 2016
Unlike the idol one, I'd actually watch this one, if the planes were rendered a bit better and the characters weren't so moe in personalities and designs, it could be a decent anime.
Apr 21, 2020 10:27 AM

Oct 2010
I did not like this, I have no words to describe it
Jan 18, 2021 8:28 PM

Jul 2017
The story is a bit of a mixed bag when seeing this as an actual episode, but not too bad actually. I kinda like a couple of the characters already from here and knowing how the finale would turn out to be, I would wish for an actual anime of this given how it actually takes a pretty depressing route at the end with a bittersweet finish. The animation though is what really stood out the most. Kind of unbelievable that the first special and this special were both Musashino Animation projects since the first special looked pretty ugly for the most part except some of the action scenes, which looked average. Meanwhile here, mostly everything looked really good, with action and flying scenes looking really well choreographed and intense with its speed and realism while character reactions like blushes and little movements of the body look really smooth and nicely directed and animated here too. There's definitely more attention to detail here and for the better actually, looks unironically better than most anime I see seasonally recently so Musashino must have struck gold with this adaptation compared to their previous anime. I can actually picture some of the stuff that Iguchi and Ema were drawing and key animating from this episode alone, so it really did stick out to me visually like its a passion project, despite the sort of cliche story idea. Seems like this would actually be the good version of Girly Air Force.

I'll give the specials a 3/10 overall as I'll rate it like Musashino Animation went serious with this and these are not just Shirobako OVAS. Exodus deserves a 0, and Third Girls Aerial Squad would get a 6.5 from me if I saw this as an actual real product.
Jan 30, 2021 10:47 PM

Feb 2019
Damn, that was great. It was really exciting. I always love seeing war in movies and shows, and this one-episode OVA was great too. I haven't seen a somewhat realistic anime in terms of military (except Violet Evergarden, although it's in a different era). And I really loved seeing the action!

It really could be a full 1-cour show, just like in the anime. Now I'm curious as to why Cathy is being tailed, why she survived and why the Builders were after her, and how she regains her memory because we know at the end her sister still calls her Catherine (I guess she somehow got her real name!). Would've loved to see this as a full on show really... Guess we won't ever get that... Maybe I'll check out the manga.

Gotta say I really like both specials especially because they seems so real and authentic (which I guess they are but as OVAs) and a complete departure from the main series. That means they'd have to use new character designs and colour palettes and whatnot! That's some dedication to show at least parts of the anime they produced in the show as a real anime.
Jul 31, 2022 2:27 AM

Jul 2021
This one was even better than Exodus. Really enjoyed it. Would like to watch a full series of this one too.

5/5 episode and will rate this 8/10 overall.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 29, 2023 8:47 PM

Sep 2018
I liked this a lot better than Exodus, it seemed much better made and more like it could be a real show. Not sure if it would work as a full series but I feel like it could work as like 4 or 5 episode OVA.

DarkAudit said:

Ah, yes, I can see by your profile that you only watch the most super ultra realistic anime... Give me a break, you have highly marked a lot of stuff that's worse than this on the unbelievability scale, jeez. Also compared to the first one of these this was a masterpiece. Exodus was an embarrassing disgusting mess, yet the fans of the show seem to have ate it up anyhow, I don't really understand.
KristiwazhereMar 29, 2023 9:12 PM
May 13, 2023 8:22 PM

Apr 2023
wth!!!!! i NEEDE more ofe aria!!!!!!
Jun 4, 2023 4:11 PM
Aug 2022
Shojo Top Gun?

Sign me up, ace!

I'm in 100% agreement with those folks who also want to see a complete series of the Third Aerial Girls Squad

Hell, I'd even go as far as saying that this one episode was more entertaining overall than the actual series of "Cute Girls Flying Military Planes" that Tsutomu Mizushima would direct - Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai.
Nov 1, 2023 8:33 PM

Nov 2010
Is this episode referencing Top Gun or Strike Witches or both with cute girls in actual aircraft? This is awesome!
Midway Pillar kind of looks like Teppelin from Gurren Lagann.
As much as I despise the USA, those F-22s and F-35s are so badass and kick a lot of ass, just like in real life.
I like the dogfight scenes!
Damn, Myers died! He looked so cool. The other chick captain also died. That sucks!
Fanservice is always appreciated! Those sexy bodies are screwable!
The first episode was intriguing, but this one takes the cake. I like the plot here. This deserves a one-cour!
May 9, 12:56 AM

Feb 2020
I honestly liked this better than the main series.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirobako Specials Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2015

82 by Serafos »»
May 9, 12:56 AM

Poll: » Which specials do you want more to be a full series?

millo - Oct 2, 2015

9 by Alpha-Nine »»
Jun 4, 2023 4:17 PM

» Where is BOING BOING PARADISE episode ?

G039G - May 30, 2023

0 by G039G »»
May 30, 2023 2:33 AM

» Special 2 Out Yet?

EmeraldEmperor - Jul 29, 2015

2 by AdiiL »»
Aug 3, 2015 1:36 PM

» New release date for Shirobako Special 2

zenjamibu - May 24, 2015

0 by zenjamibu »»
May 24, 2015 11:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.