Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 19, 2018 3:58 AM

Nov 2013
Fuck this twice. Haruhi was way better than Nagato not to mention Asakura and Tsuruya.
At least Tsuruya is happy with her waifu.
GvendolineApr 20, 2018 5:34 AM
Apr 25, 2018 6:53 AM
Jul 2017
I had an interesting thought about this episode upon a watch through, hear me out:
At the end they suggest writing a book because they're the literature club, it's suggested Haruhi help write it. Kyon scoffs at the idea and says if she writes it it'll have aliens, espers, and time travelers all together.

I think that this story arc is the "real" arc. and the events of Haruhi season 1+2 and the movie were "books" written by the literature club based on a "what if" from Haruhi.
Oct 28, 2018 11:32 AM

May 2017
English dub wasnt bad. Well the haruhi series english dub were well made.
Stil I like better how bridget hoffman performance was in here.

because how she originally protrayed ryoko asakura in the original series was a bit off.

But she got it better on haruhi-chan parody and then on the dissapearance movie and now she came with that flow with this series which made Ryoko sound pleasant.

On another hand i like the characters since they are more down to earth, especially Haruhi.
Originally I found Haruhi's tsunderness really obnoxious, but in this series she is more tolerable to the point that i actually would had this version of haruhi ending with kyon.
but this is nagato's story and i am a nagato fan so... well.

Still, this version of haruhi is more down to earth (no pun intended of she being a god and all), and more mature, even on her eccentric ways.
At least in the manga she was more reasonable and mature.
Jan 7, 2019 5:12 PM
Jul 2013
Quite a lot of screentime and potential wasted. The ending was not handled very well in my opinion. If it wasn't for the disappearance arc, I'd say it's not worth watching.
Jun 28, 2019 12:58 PM
Feb 2014
if you watch this after the Haruhi movie and you still remember the movie, it feels obvious that it's a world where Kyo didn't tryhard to go back to "his world", rather he doesn't even remember. this is supposed to be the world where Haruhi doesn't have her godlike world-changing powers and all the characters remain unchanged (since Haruhi didn't modify anyone). This is the world where Nagato can have her happy ending too, as the anime title says. It's about NAGATO. There isn't even a place for argument, idk what people expected. (even if my thoughts about the world are wrong, this anime is still about Nagato, without a doubt, title still tells it). Although I have to admit, I never expected "the old Nagato" to appear here (since that self isn't supposed to exist in this world at all), let alone her getting a happy ending here, while "the new Nagato" kinda gets screwed. wtf lol

But in a world where Haruhi obviously doesn't own any inhuman powers, idk why anyone expected supernatural stuff to happen.
Jun 29, 2019 6:42 AM

Jul 2013
Meh ending to a meh spin-off

If you're gonna do a spin-off an iconic anime with its unique cast, the least you could do is be more creative with it. So we got a romcom spin to the original series, tried to build up the romance and even had a plot twist in the middle of the series for it and yet we still got the typical "couldn't hear the confession" ending. What a waste of time. Haruhi was the only entertainment I ever got from this show. I'd take Endless Eight over this lol
Jul 25, 2019 12:57 PM
Apr 2019
Maybe unpopular opinion but absolutely hate Haruhi Suzumiya due to the sense of inprisoning her friends. This spinoff shows her lessons she should have learned in the original series and this version is much better. This is clearly made for an audience curious of Nagato's melancholy or silence and those who's interested in the subtle hints that barely got noticed between Nagato and Kyon, potential romance and friendship development.

I can relate to Nagato in so many ways. She's exploring human emotions, her interests are sincere, she is surrounded by other's perceptions of beauty etz. I love how she is original, accept others unconditionally only to feel accepted for being the girl she is. She is so Innocent and never hyper jelous of other Girls' appearances, only human Ofc but she is so healthy about it.

Last episode when they running through the fire works cuz he is going to confess to the other Nagato, Haruhi at this moment reacts emotional and releases two fish back into the water and for me, that was symbolic and meant that she finally felt ok with letting go of these two and their relationship and letting go of the fear to lose him as a loyal companion that would always be there for her.

Only sad that Nagato never confessed by herself as the other Nagato wanted her to. That, I guess, is left to my imagination.
Jun 18, 2020 7:32 PM

Feb 2019
Memories of Endless Eight intensify

Still find it funny and cute how this Asahina has a particular liking to weird objects of questionable practicality and veracity lol

So I guess that confession scene basically means that Yuki, not Yuki-chan, managed to hear Kyon's confession? I was a bit confused on why suddenly she started wearing her school uniform. I was already confused at the start of the festival because the preview from last episode showed Yuki(-chan) in a school uniform but she started with a yukata here.

A pretty good series, but it doesn't have the same charm as the original. As a fan of slice of life, I had fun with this, though it's not the best. What I liked most about this series was definitely Asakura! To me, she's the highlight of the show, especially since Asakura didn't feature as much in the original series. Gonna really miss Asakura ;_;

7/10. Would not mind a second season.
Sep 10, 2020 9:56 AM

Jan 2014
this was so full of wasted potential... the characters were watered down paradies of their old selves, especially yuki (turned into annoying moe blob) and kyon (boring generic MC). the only one you could argue was improved is haruhi, she was actually incredibly mature in this series lol

so to break it down... the art/animation was atrocious, and the voice acting sounded off at times (probably the voice actors took time to remember how to do the voices??). the plot in general was also a mess, i really don't think this show knew what it wanted to do. it was started off with terribly cringy romcom tropes, then a weird medical/psychological arc with yuki's "other self" (which somehow was the best 3 episodes of the entire show), and scattered random references to the original series throughout the whole thing. and the ending was so anticlimactic, she couldn't even hear him?? like we're back at square one lol

despite everything this anime did wrong, the BGM was pretty inoffensive/good at times, and i for whatever reason enjoyed watching it... like a lot lmfao. it was so easy to shut off your brain and just watch these weird haruhi parody characters do whatever, even if the episode was incredibly boring. objectively i think it deserves a 4/10, but bc i had fun watching it i'll give it a 5/10
laputiaSep 10, 2020 9:59 AM
Oct 26, 2020 12:50 PM

Nov 2018
God I wish that were me
Nov 5, 2020 9:55 PM

Mar 2020
Was kinda hoping for a 16 episode Endless Eight spinoff.... This is good too I guess.
Nov 20, 2020 5:09 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Hah. So Kyon really did that. I finally heard something great from Sugita! But he said that to the dissappeared Yuki. Its kinda relieved a bit about their previous awkward moment. However, since their path still long through the time until the end. There must be some point, that he felt the same way too to the current Yuki. I just wishes that implification was the same. Lol, what a complicated end, and its kinda irritating a little with these Yuki. That seriously, she even didn't want to confessed her own feeling toward Kyon too, after having the chance at that time. Damn, the writer really made these shy Yuki felt dumb and i just don't like with that way ....

But oh well. Its already end. I guess i can take a metaphor that their relations was just fine. No disturbance and kept perfect as Asakura wishes about them. A pure relationship without something that over the capacity. Lol. Whatever it was. Its really an enjoyable show. No batshit from me.

8/10.
For the sake of Haruhi that looked so brave and gentleman to these spin-off. Even in the other show, her charm always shine much on my mind. Lol.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 20, 2020 5:16 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
allie2023 said:
I had an interesting thought about this episode upon a watch through, hear me out:
At the end they suggest writing a book because they're the literature club, it's suggested Haruhi help write it. Kyon scoffs at the idea and says if she writes it it'll have aliens, espers, and time travelers all together.

I think that this story arc is the "real" arc. and the events of Haruhi season 1+2 and the movie were "books" written by the literature club based on a "what if" from Haruhi.

And this theory was just great. Its really deserved my quote. XD.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 18, 2021 5:13 AM
Apr 2020
*sighs*.. Ended with a freakin typical " fireworks confession but didn't hear it because of the noise of fireworks" scene.. Really hoping for a better conclusion for Nagato-chan conclusion but I guess that's just it.. 7/10 final rate for this
Apr 3, 2021 7:20 PM

Jun 2014
Well, Kyon finally grew some balls, but apparently, Yuki didn't hear what he said, lol.

This was a lot of fun to watch. It was even as good as the original series in my opinion. I'll be watching the OVA now.

Apr 9, 2021 10:47 PM

Jan 2021
It doesn’t deserve the hate. Super underrated spinoff. The scene with the fireworks was dumb but I don’t care. Some episodes hit different than others like 10-13 with (the original) Yuki, that was definitely the best part of the show. Wish KyotoAni could’ve done it, but Satelight did pretty decent. 8/10
SpicelitApr 10, 2021 12:15 AM
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Jul 31, 2021 2:23 PM

Jan 2020
Not a bad finale I guess. I didn't really like some parts of the series but it did have it's peaks as well. I think I would give it a 6/10 overall

Oct 6, 2022 6:38 PM

Jul 2021
I liked the series, but kinda hated the confession scene? Didn't really understood if he confessed or not, because by the looks of it when he "confessed" he did it to the "old" Yuki that doesn't exist anymore, not to the real one. I was hoping for a conclusion, but nothing happened. Probably would've rated the series higher if not that.
Nov 21, 2022 2:44 AM

Oct 2021
"Kyon-kun,Denwa~". 8/10
Alvie48xiNov 21, 2022 3:01 AM
Dec 30, 2022 3:31 PM

Sep 2020
I liked this ending, but overall mixed feelings on the whole series. 7.5/10

The 1st half was pretty good imo, it took a while to get used to the difference in tone from the original series but it was enjoyable as a cute rom-com. If only it had stayed that way the whole way through.

A big problem is that Haruhi absolutely steals the show. I like her and all, but she took away all the focus from that rom-com aspect. If she was excluded completely or in just a couple of episodes then it'd probably be better.

Then the "disappearance" occurred, and while I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of it seeing Nagato's struggles, my interest in the show waned significantly after.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Mar 15, 2023 4:42 AM

Aug 2014
I gotta say, this was a pretty smart spin-off of the original anime. 

I like how all the characters kept their traits that you would see in the original. 

I also liked how the episodes were a spin-off version of the episodes of the original anime. 

I would have liked if this spin-off-anime made the love triangle between Kyon-Haruhi-Nagato stronger, since it had potential to be very spicy in this spin-off, but this spin-off never went there at the end of the day. 

With all that said above, this spin-off is a forgettable anime, mainly since it doesnt have the cinematography of the original anime and the episodes sometimes can be a bit slow, but still, if youve seen the original Haruhi anime, you gotta watch this spin-off once. 

Off to the OVA. 
oooo3333Mar 15, 2023 5:01 AM
Mar 18, 2023 7:44 AM

Nov 2010
Yuki x Kyon romance feels so forced, IMO. They don't have any chemistry at all. They're the kind of couple that wouldn't last. lol
Nice Endless Eight reference at the end. He only forgot to do his homework. lol
6/10
Jul 31, 2023 8:49 PM
Jan 2019
Well.... Nothing changes, umm.. not bad i think ?

And it makes me uneasy every time the camera pointing at jealous Haruhi
Sep 21, 2023 1:10 AM

Dec 2020
Confessed to other nagato. Haruhi fans we still gotta chance lmao

Love the entirety of the series as an whole but this spin off was just ok. The disappearance arc was best and I enjoyed all the throw backs and reference it has to the original series. So while I enjoyed it, it might've just been cause of the nostalgia it had connected the main series.
Nov 21, 2023 9:36 PM
Nov 2019
Reply to SHINOBI-03
As a Nagato fan, I enjoyed this series. Also helps that this Haruhi is the one I like the most (I hate Haruhi Prime)

@SHINOBI-03 yeah I prefer this Haruhi
Original sos Haruhi… demanding rude bi##
Nov 21, 2023 9:39 PM
Nov 2019
Sorry not sorry lol
But I prefer this haruhi to the original…

I just couldn’t stand her in season one
And two….

This might anger Haruhi fans

But alternate haruhi!! Ftw
Feb 18, 5:28 PM
Aug 2019

so that's it? Kyon just fall in love with the "other" Yuki and his relationship with Yuki will just be platonic? or he didn't really considered them different person? HOW SHOULD I TAKE IT? IT'S THE FIRST TIME IN MY WHOLE LIFE I'M SO ANNOYED AND MAD FOR A PIECE OF MEDIA! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (ノ°益°)ノ
Feb 18, 5:44 PM
Aug 2019
Reply to SmashTheOni
The anime was overall done better than the manga, which was pretty good itself. I honestly never thought this series would get an anime, although I did want it to happen. Can't wait for the OVA. Overall this series gets a 9/10
@SmashTheOni Hopping that mal have notifications for replay and that you're well and still into anime after all of this years. do you know if the manga continues? the idea of Kyon falling in love with the "other" Nagato and having a purely platonic relationship with her is killing me...
Feb 18, 5:44 PM
Aug 2019
Reply to SmashTheOni
The anime was overall done better than the manga, which was pretty good itself. I honestly never thought this series would get an anime, although I did want it to happen. Can't wait for the OVA. Overall this series gets a 9/10
@SmashTheOni Hopping that mal have notifications for replay and that you're well and still into anime after all of this years. do you know if the manga continues? the idea of Kyon falling in love with the "other" Nagato and having a purely platonic relationship with her is killing me...
Feb 18, 5:47 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to Pitt83
@Pitt83 The anime covers the first four volumes of the manga. There are six more afterwards. Notably, the anime cuts off right before introducing a character who from the main Haruhi series who never appeared in its anime.
Mar 4, 9:59 AM
Aug 2019
Reply to SmashTheOni
@Pitt83 The anime covers the first four volumes of the manga. There are six more afterwards. Notably, the anime cuts off right before introducing a character who from the main Haruhi series who never appeared in its anime.
@SmashTheOni thanks dude! I'll read the scan online since it wasn't published in my country. thank you so much!
Mar 4, 9:59 AM
Aug 2019
Reply to SmashTheOni
@SmashTheOni thanks dude! I'll read the scan online since it wasn't published in my country. thank you so much!
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2015

155 by _untitled »»
May 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

358 by _untitled »»
May 5, 3:04 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2015

85 by Sachoza »»
Apr 27, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

138 by Shaka-bun »»
Mar 7, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2015

82 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 17, 11:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.