Forum Settings
Forums
The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 19, 2016 4:10 PM

Nov 2013
Rhohen said:
Now just have to deal with the empty void that I get for having finished such a great story...

The void never goes away...
Aug 5, 2016 6:14 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Ah, and it’s finally over. And now I feel empty, dammit. People weren’t lying when they said that this was the best volume of the series. This volume basically had three parts to it: Kazuki’s madness, Maria’s past and the aftermath of all the characters. I was happy to see at first that Kazuki didn’t give up, even after knowing that Maria has forgotten about him, but damn, what he had to go through was pure insanity. The funny part was when he gives up, proposed to Mogi then later realizes that he’s in a loop (again) and does the same thing over again. And all those times he jumped off the school building, that’s just sad. When the loop count went over 100000, it got a little disturbing though. And it was depressing seeing Kazuki using different methods to kill himself. The electrocution death made me laugh. And Kazuki forgetting Maria’s name was also sad. But the worst was when he decided to kill everyone else, and how he was thinking of the most efficient ways to create massacre. Some of them were way to funny though (like “I break into a truck that was parked by the convenience store and kill the driver with a hammer. I planned to drive to school and run over some students, but since I don’t even have a license, I end up crashing the truck at an intersection. The accident isn’t fatal, but my right leg is crushed. Since I can’t go on killing while crippled, I cut my throat.”). It’s the fact that how calm he’s saying it makes it feel more disturbing, yet hilarious. Also, “I try to hijack an airplane in order to crash it into a high-rise, but I can’t even get onto a plane. I commit suicide by biting off my tongue”, lol Kazuki, do you even know what you’re doing. “After I finish slurping down a bowl of noodles in Ikebukuro, I take a chainsaw out of my overnight bag and start cutting down the people in the restaurant. Once I’m done, I leave the establishment and start slaughtering the people on the streets… Thinking back, the broth for those noodles was quite something.”, what the hell am I reading?! I’ve seen characters suffer before, but never to this extent where they end up forgetting how to talk and do normal human functions. After all, Kazuki went through 400000 loops of madness. Meanwhile that all happened, we get a more in-depth backstory for Maria and Aya and is was quite sad. Aya was definitely weird, especially for purposely creating situations for more happiness. Who is she, Komaeda Nagito? Lol, but she was weird, and Maria did have to go through a lot. It was nice to know how the “Flawed Bliss was actually created”. Also, this was the most emotional volume by far. That part when Maria had to see Kazuki’s endless loops was depressing, especially when she tried to call out to Kazuki to stop him. And seeing Kazuki so broken was just too sad. But he was already broken before he did the loops. After all, he killed a dog and showed its insides to the owner, just to get her attention. And Kazuki wasn’t lying in the last volume when he said that he’ll kill every last person in the world for Maria; that he’s willing to create a mass genocide. Most fucked up romance ever? But the epilogue felt like a machine gun loaded with feels, just shooting at me. Kasumi’s going to try to be independent, Iroha’s actually mentally stable, and Yuuri’s a troll. That conversation between Yuuri and Iroha was priceless. Also Haruaki following his dreams was nice. Daiya going into coma and Kokone being depressed about it really hit me hard, especially the part when she was trying to kill Daiya then herself. But I’m glad we actually get to see Daiya being okay, since he does deserve his happiness. Maria promising she’ll get married to Kazuki was perfect. But it was Kazuki’s epilogue that really hit me hard. Maria dedicating her life to Kazuki and helping him live was both sad and sweet. And that breakdown he had in Daiya’s room was sad too. But the ending was still a happy one, and Kazuki got to say Maria’s name (the feels were real). And they actually got married (thank god). But now I don’t know what I should read. I doubt I’ll find anything better than this series :/

Easily a 10/10
Sep 30, 2016 5:54 AM
Apr 2014
Questions guys: Why exactly did maria forget everything every time she used the flawed bliss? What was the point of preserving the chasing between her and "O"?
Oct 4, 2016 12:24 PM

Jun 2016
IceFox95 said:
Questions guys: Why exactly did maria forget everything every time she used the flawed bliss? What was the point of preserving the chasing between her and "O"?

Wow. I just finished marathon-ing through all seven volumes, and I'm not sure whether I can answer this. I sure do feel stupid. Let me clear my thoughts and attempt to answer..

Why did Maria forget about every person (and people related to that person) she incorporated into Flawed Bliss?

I might be wrong (and I'd love if someone corrected me on this), but I don't think we ever get an explicit explanation for this. It's just stated as something that happens, right from Vol. 1, and comes to the fore in Vols. 5 and 6. If I have to think of a reason, I think it's tied to the origin of Flawed Bliss: When Maria wished for 'Bliss', she also wanted to run away from her past and the sorrow of losing her beloved sister and parents. She wanted to forget it all - and so she did. At that point, the act of her wish being granted became tied with her forgetting everything about the person she granted the wish to.

What's the point of preserving Maria's endless chase of "O"?

It came as a part of Flawed Bliss. because of Maria's inherent skepticism. If Maria actually did manage to chase down O and fix her box, it wouldn't stayed 'flawed' anymore. That's something the zeroth Maria could never imagine happening, so as a part of her wish, she only chased the ideal, but could never really reach it.
ArachnophobicOct 4, 2016 9:49 PM
Oct 4, 2016 8:29 PM
Apr 2014
Arachnophobic said:
IceFox95 said:

Wow. I just finished marathon-ing through all seven volumes, and I'm not sure whether I can answer this. I sure do feel stupid. Let me clear my thoughts and attempt to answer..

Why did Maria forget about every person (and people related to that person) she incorporated into Flawed Bliss?

I might be wrong (and I'd love if someone corrected me on this), but I don't think we ever get an explicit explanation for this. It's just stated as something that happens, right from Vol. 1, and comes to the fore in Vols. 5 and 6. If I have to think of a reason, I think it's tied to the origin of Flawed Bliss: When Maria wished for 'Bliss', she also wanted to run away from her past and the sorrow of losing her beloved sister and parents. She wanted to forget it all - and so she did. At that point, the act of her wish being granted become tied with her forgetting everything about the person she granted the wish to.

What's the point of preserving Maria's endless chase of "O"?

It came as a part of Flawed Bliss. because of Maria's inherent skepticism. If Maria actually did manage to chase down O and fix her box, it wouldn't stayed 'flawed' anymore. That's something the zeroth Maria could never imagine happening, so as a part of her wish, she only chased the ideal, but could never really reach it.
About the first question, I think Maria forgets everything to run away from the fact the her sister is dead and no longer alive. That way she can "deify" her or say that she was possessed by her. Otherwise, she would not be able to live with the fact she is empty and no one needs her. Perceiving herself as "Aya Otonashi" grants her a purpose in life, and remembering that she is actually dead, takes away that purpose.
Oct 4, 2016 10:51 PM

Jun 2016
IceFox95 said:
About the first question, I think Maria forgets everything to run away from the fact the her sister is dead and no longer alive. That way she can "deify" her or say that she was possessed by her. Otherwise, she would not be able to live with the fact she is empty and no one needs her. Perceiving herself as "Aya Otonashi" grants her a purpose in life, and remembering that she is actually dead, takes away that purpose.

Agreed. Linking that to her forgetting about people whom she absorbs into Flawed Bliss is pure speculation on my part, and weak at best.
Oct 9, 2016 11:41 PM
Oct 2016
is it possible for anime adaptation? tbh, i'm not really fond of reading but i'll give it a try.. any link for reading it onlina?
Oct 10, 2016 8:46 AM

Nov 2013
Probably not -- the series isn't really popular in Japan. It's tough to see money in something that doesn't have a huge immediate following, at that something that has been completed for a little while now.

To answer your other question, look for it on baka-tsuki.
Jan 13, 2017 6:32 AM

Nov 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed it as a whole, volume 5 was my favorite, can't deny there were some inconsistencies here and there but didn't really deter from the overall experience. First half of the volume was probably the darkest thing i've read in a while. It lacked what i would call a proper climax with O effectively giving up but liked the ending. 8.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 31, 2017 9:47 AM
Aug 2009
Finished it a few days ago and still can't over it.

The overall experience was amazing.

Also, I don't know if LNs are always like this (this was my first), but I can't emphasize the importance of the illustrations enough. Basically made me create a manga version of the plot in my head.
Mar 14, 2017 9:43 PM

Aug 2010
This right here is a masterpiece...theres no other way i can qualify it. Tbh this is my first light novel ever and im not even fond of this kind of literature i rather read manga, but the story was just superb i couldn't drop it or nag about reading it...the ride just took me by the collar of my neck and dragged me in a binge reading journey that was crude and painful yet beautiful.

I can't even grasp why this isn't considered popular in japan...i guess cultural differences? anyways im really glad i picked this up, even if it was just on a whim and curiosity of its high ranking...surely will open my way into some other LNs out there.

I'm so glad that yen press recently licensed this, im so eager to buy a copy of it when they release it by the end of this year.

So finally 10/10 for me, and remember don't neglect ourselves or you might end up with a box and set sail on a wish granting journey filled with despair and straight up genocide :)
Aug 26, 2017 3:51 AM

Aug 2013
xzysc said:
Note: spoilers ahead, and also I think I might, if I'm correct in my thought process, ruin the ending somewhat for those who really liked it.

I have a problem: if the entire romantic premise between Kazuki and Maria relied on an emotional or even existential symmetry between the two (i.e. both are the other's sole reason for being etc.), how are we supposed to understand the fact that Kazuki was practically dragged into the whole shebang in the first place by Maria's flawed wish?

To put it another way, just like how there is a zeroth Maria that exists prior to all boxes isn't there also a zeroth Kazuki who, if not for Maria's wish, would have possessed a different set of priorities and sense of being? And if thats the case, the entire ending -"happy" as it is (which is also ironic, seeing that Maria's relinquishment of her former wish actually accomplishes it) - seems to be predicated on the fact that Kazuki simply doesn't seem to care in any way (even after he finds out the truth from O in volume 5) about being manipulated by Maria's wishes since day one. So in fact, the only thing we know about Kazuki before Maria intervened is that he's super gentle to Yannagi -and we only know that because it was deemed significant by Maria and it ended up being the single factor that got Kazuki into the whole mess.

This is all to say, this series is completely oriented towards Maria while Kazuki, interestingly, is an empty vessel who exists solely for Maria to achieve her real wish (i.e. to find a meaning to life). And thus, we arrive at the end of the tale with the strange discovery that Kazuki is in fact the flawless "box" of the story.

But what about the zeroth Kazuki? How would he feel about everything?

Of course, all this is not to say that the novel was not meticulously written and have some truly superb plot/character development. I am also aware that the passive/oblivious/normal-to-the-point-of-actually-being-extraordinary kind of male protagonist is quite prevalent for the sake of reader-identification.

I guess it's just that all along the final volume I had hope that the author would address what I see as a not insignificant gap in the protagonist's psyche instead of just asking us to take for granted Kazuki's selfless (like literally as if he doesn't even have a self or identity that's distinct from Maria's influence) devotion to Maria.

What do you guys think?

after all the endless praise comments i see(which is fine, not complaining) i'm glad there was atleast a few who grasped this, this has been bothering me since the beginning too, Kazuki literally suffered for 1000 years for no reason but the selfish wish of Maria.

It also felt to me that the author doesnt like his main character, he prefers Daiya which is why he tries to force him in a lot of times, looks to me initially the 'hero' of the story would've been Daiya but the editor made him change that since that wouldnt work well with this story and would be unnatural

on that note, man Daiya must be one of the most annoying characters for me, esp i dont undestand what Kazuki has to apologize to him for? it should be the other way around, because of his emo insecure ways he dragged his friend to his bullshit and led him to 1000 years of torture. Maria might've disappeared either way but wish he wrote that differently instead of using a 'friend' of Kazuki's, thank god Haruaki stayed true to him till the end, he's the real bro.

If the "Flawed Bliss" box didnt manipulate Kazuki like it did, in my view, Kazuki probably would've fallen in love with Mogi eventually or heck he could've come across Yuuri somehow and it wouldnt take long for him to charm her either and go from there, her character itself meshes the best with Kazuki and he brings the honest side in her.

I myself wanted a happy ending for both of them at first but the events of the latter half of vol. 6 and before the epilogue of vol.7 changed my mind completely, it was heart-breaking to read, in Dark Souls terms Kazuki died and died and died and slowly 'Hollowed' but because of that stupid role forced upon him he neither could die nor could he forget and was trapped in that loop. That bothers me a lot but whatever its his story not mine anyway

At the very least we saw him regain his sanity towards the end and that was nice to see and to know that he can most probably go back to his 'everyday life'. This was an interesting read for sure, one that will always linger in my mind but definitely not 10/10 that everyone says because of the problems i mentioned above but 8.5/10 sounds about right to me.

Now to go read a happier story ;c

PS. Its also too bad Daiya lived but i'll imagine him getting permanent brain damage to his already damaged brain ;d and yes i really dont like him.

Aug 27, 2017 7:56 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Freestyle80 said:
after all the endless praise comments i see(which is fine, not complaining) i'm glad there was atleast a few who grasped this, this has been bothering me since the beginning too, Kazuki literally suffered for 1000 years for no reason but the selfish wish of Maria.
I mean, you can have a "what if" scenario for any romance story. Kazuki being influenced by the Flawed Bliss could've been considered destiny, or it can be considered as luck. If Maria was able to solve the Rejecting Classroom on her own or with Daiya's help, a lot of things would change too. Kazuki even talks about "possibilities" at the very end of chapter 3 on volume 7. He talks about how a part of him regrets that he ever met Maria, but if he were to choose between a timeline where she exists and a timeline where she doesn't, Kazuki will always choose the former. Kazuki was always a character that saved others rather than himself, which is really ironic when Kazuki's supposed to be a selfish character. Unknowingly, he changed Daiya, Kirino, Yuuri and Iroha's life for the better. And lastly, he was able to save Maria too, with the price being his insanity.

Freestyle80 said:
on that note, man Daiya must be one of the most annoying characters for me, esp i dont undestand what Kazuki has to apologize to him for? it should be the other way around, because of his emo insecure ways he dragged his friend to his bullshit and led him to 1000 years of torture.
At that time, Kazuki didn't have all his memories. All he remembers is that he is supposedly responsible for Daiya's current state and starts apologizing. But if Kazuki had his memories of what happened and if he was him old self, he wouldn't have apologized, just like how he Daiya after the whole Wish-Crushing Cinema thing. I understand why a lot of people dislike Daiya because his ideology was never right. I personally don't like him as a person, but I liked how he was handled as a character. He was just a delusional teenager with a lot of angst, who blamed himself for everything wrong that's happened to Kirino. In some sense he's really similar to Kazuki, because he's also a delusional teen who lets his ego get ahead of him. A character like Daiya is a necessity in the series because he perfectly contrasts Kazuki when it comes to ideals, but complements each other when it comes to motivation and personality.

Freestyle80 said:
If the "Flawed Bliss" box didnt manipulate Kazuki like it did, in my view, Kazuki probably would've fallen in love with Mogi eventually or heck he could've come across Yuuri somehow and it wouldnt take long for him to charm her either and go from there, her character itself meshes the best with Kazuki and he brings the honest side in her.
If the Flawed Bliss didn't exist, then either of the possibilities you've mentioned would cease to exist. Kazuki only fell in love with Mogi because of the Rejecting Classroom (due to the repeating loops and Mogi's repeated confessions) and Kazuki only met Yuuri (and found out about her true side) because of Kingdom Royale, both of which only exist because of O/Flawed Bliss. Either way, the Flawed Bliss was the start of everything.

GoldenDevilGamerAug 27, 2017 8:01 PM
Aug 31, 2017 4:40 AM

Jul 2014
Freestyle80 said:
xzysc said:
Note: spoilers ahead, and also I think I might, if I'm correct in my thought process, ruin the ending somewhat for those who really liked it.

I have a problem: if the entire romantic premise between Kazuki and Maria relied on an emotional or even existential symmetry between the two (i.e. both are the other's sole reason for being etc.), how are we supposed to understand the fact that Kazuki was practically dragged into the whole shebang in the first place by Maria's flawed wish?

To put it another way, just like how there is a zeroth Maria that exists prior to all boxes isn't there also a zeroth Kazuki who, if not for Maria's wish, would have possessed a different set of priorities and sense of being? And if thats the case, the entire ending -"happy" as it is (which is also ironic, seeing that Maria's relinquishment of her former wish actually accomplishes it) - seems to be predicated on the fact that Kazuki simply doesn't seem to care in any way (even after he finds out the truth from O in volume 5) about being manipulated by Maria's wishes since day one. So in fact, the only thing we know about Kazuki before Maria intervened is that he's super gentle to Yannagi -and we only know that because it was deemed significant by Maria and it ended up being the single factor that got Kazuki into the whole mess.

This is all to say, this series is completely oriented towards Maria while Kazuki, interestingly, is an empty vessel who exists solely for Maria to achieve her real wish (i.e. to find a meaning to life). And thus, we arrive at the end of the tale with the strange discovery that Kazuki is in fact the flawless "box" of the story.

Of course, all this is not to say that the novel was not meticulously written and have some truly superb plot/character development. I am also aware that the passive/oblivious/normal-to-the-point-of-actually-being-extraordinary kind of male protagonist is quite prevalent for the sake of reader-identification.

I guess it's just that all along the final volume I had hope that the author would address what I see as a not insignificant gap in the protagonist's psyche instead of just asking us to take for granted Kazuki's selfless (like literally as if he doesn't even have a self or identity that's distinct from Maria's influence) devotion to Maria.

What do you guys think?

It also felt to me that the author doesnt like his main character, he prefers Daiya which is why he tries to force him in a lot of times, looks to me initially the 'hero' of the story would've been Daiya but the editor made him change that since that wouldnt work well with this story and would be unnatural

on that note, man Daiya must be one of the most annoying characters for me, esp i dont undestand what Kazuki has to apologize to him for? it should be the other way around, because of his emo insecure ways he dragged his friend to his bullshit and led him to 1000 years of torture. Maria might've disappeared either way but wish he wrote that differently instead of using a 'friend' of Kazuki's, thank god Haruaki stayed true to him till the end, he's the real bro.

I myself wanted a happy ending for both of them at first but the events of the latter half of vol. 6 and before the epilogue of vol.7 changed my mind completely, it was heart-breaking to read, in Dark Souls terms Kazuki died and died and died and slowly 'Hollowed' but because of that stupid role forced upon him he neither could die nor could he forget and was trapped in that loop. That bothers me a lot but whatever its his story not mine anyway

At the very least we saw him regain his sanity towards the end and that was nice to see and to know that he can most probably go back to his 'everyday life'. This was an interesting read for sure, one that will always linger in my mind but definitely not 10/10 that everyone says because of the problems i mentioned above but 8.5/10 sounds about right to me.

PS. Its also too bad Daiya lived but i'll imagine him getting permanent brain damage to his already damaged brain ;d and yes i really dont like him.

If you'd like to see some more criticism, then here's mine (because the endless praise everywhere is honestly annoying, even though I gave HakoMari a 9/10 myself):

(Note: I have nothing against Mikage, and I'm not trying to badmouth him. I'm just trying to offer hopefully reasonable critique of his work, since almost everyone else here is heaping nothing but praise. And I'm not trying to be contrarian just for the sake of going against what's popular; it's just that too much positive circlejerk gets boring after a while, we could use some more variety in opinions for discussion. And obviously, this is all just my opinion.)

Some of my main problems with HakoMari include the awkward dialogue/prose at many points, the tendency of several characters to over-explain things and sometimes speak in similar voices, and the lack of subtlety (especially in the philosophical ramblings of characters in Volumes 5 and 6). Though I guess those 3 things are all related to each other.

I dunno if this is just a problem with the translation, but often times, the way the characters speak feels so... stilted? Mechanical? Generally, the prose kinda reads like fanfiction. There's also very little description so it's sometimes difficult for me to feel grounded in the setting and events that are happening. Furthermore, I feel that HakoMari does too much "telling", over-explaining thought processes and psychology in too much of a tedious, expositional manner that, again, the writing feels stiff and mechanical as a result, with a lack of subtlety in execution.

And here are some spoiler criticisms (not all the criticisms I have...):

*Volume 2 is straight up bad, with poor mystery and lackluster antagonists who drop out of the story afterwards, and generally poor plot. Volume 2 by itself already prevents HakoMari from being some godly amazing masterpiece, in my opinion. Granted, Vol2 does have some decent relationship-building for Kazuki and Maria, but that's pretty much the only thing going for it.*

Almost everyone has some kind of (melo)dramatic school (love) drama backstory... it gets tedious and repetitive after a while, not to mention kinda cringe-worthy. Where are the adult characters and their distorted wishes? That would've been interesting to explore, for more variety. Anyway, there was this one subplot in Volumes 3/4, for example, about a love triangle involving Iroha, Yuuri, and some random throwaway guy, which was pretty ridiculous. Seriously, the guy didn't even get a name. I know it was to contribute to the whole jealousy theme going on, but it felt like a superficial add-on and frankly, these are rather generic, uninteresting backstories anyway. Oh, and I remember a scene where Iroha, like, chops off her finger or something to show her leadership resolve? Pretty over-the-top... to the point it almost comes off as funny instead of serious. It's kinda like one of those overly dramatic scenes in Death Note, maybe the "SAKUJO SAKUJO SAKUJO!" scenes, lol. But yeah, not a fan of it.

The school is literally the only concrete setting in HakoMari lol, with everywhere else being vague background blurs with little description...

Kazuki is honestly a pretty bland protagonist, especially from Vol1 to the end of Vol3. You may argue that him being so generic and "ordinary" is intentional as it serves to make him a symbol of everyday life or something, but I don't think that's a good enough excuse. "Everyday life" doesn't mean the protagonist has to be plain; there are plenty of people in our real-world "everyday life" with more vibrant and interesting personalities. Take Kyon from the Haruhi series, for example. He also appreciates and enjoys his ordinary life, though he's obviously not (unhealthily) obsessed with it to the extent that Kazuki is, but Kyon is a much more interesting protagonist in terms of thought process, dialogue, and personality.

In Vol4, Kazuki gets somewhat better by being more proactive and not relying on Maria all the time, but that kinda gets undermined by his frankly unnatural development in Vol5-6. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think his gradual insanity development is written that well, even though I admit it makes him more interesting. Again, I just don't think it's a natural transition from Vol4; his change feels like it's due more to contrived plot "design" as a result of Maria's box influence rather than a more human approach to psychology. Basically, it's like "Oh, maybe I can make Kazuki crazier and throw in some convenient supernatural explanation so he's not bland anymore." And that's not the only thing: eventually, most of Kazuki's character revolves almost entirely around Maria, to the point that I remember Kazuki much more for his designed insanity and obsession with her rather than his own individual merits as a character. As someone said earlier, Kazuki's somewhat of an empty vessel without Maria. Not to mention how I personally don't see that much romantic chemistry between them. Maria, in terms of personality and individuality, is much more compelling and interesting than Kazuki; she has her own individual character arc that doesn't revolve around him. What I desire from romantic pairings in fiction is for the two characters to be around equally competent/complex/compelling, but Kazuki-Maria is quite lopsided in Maria's favor. So yeah, I wasn't invested in this romance so much, unfortunately.

[HakoMari Vol3] Touji Kijima and Yanagi Nana. Lol, what the hell was this all about? They were introduced in Volume 3 as part of Kazuki's backstory, with Kijima being his best friend and Nana being his first love, but I really don't think any of this was necessary. I mainly remember more melodrama with "drinking tears" and stuff... jeezus. This is what I mean when I say the execution of scenes feels over-the-top sometimes. Admittedly, if I recall correctly, I think Nana had something to do with Kazuki's Empty Box, but that was literally the only relevance. As individual characters, Nana and Kijima were pretty useless, with like no lines of dialogue for either of them, and this is further damning because they were part of the *protagonist's* backstory. It also doesn't help that Nana was hyped up to be someone important by "O" at the end of Volume 4, when "O" took on Nana's appearance for some odd reason. So yeah, basically, this whole thing should've been cut; explaining the origins of Kazuki's Empty Box could've been executed differently and better.

[HakoMari Vol4] Okay, so Kamiuchi is a crazy sadistic high school kid who's fine with killing AND rape cuz dark edginess, and the entire reason for the Game of Idleness is because he was f*cking bored. Just great... that's literally the only possible reason that someone could have for thinking such a screwed up distorted wish too, how convenient... how contrived. And Kamiuchi also had a pretty cliche, cringey school backstory. The thing is, I'm not inherently against high school melodrama, and I mean no offense to anyone suffering difficult hardship, of course, but HakoMari... I dunno, to me, just the execution of the writing here feels juvenile and exaggerated to the point that it's almost hard to take seriously. Probably has to do with the poor prose and over-the-top feel of some of the dialogue and scenes.

[HakoMari Vol6] Miyuki Karino being the owner of the Wish-Crushing Cinema box. What? Some trivial flashback character with, again, like no development and no lines of dialogue is the main culprit for this entire Vol 5-6 arc? Seriously? Talk about anticlimactic and out-of-left-field jarring... and then Karino says absolutely nothing even when she shows up near the end of Vol 6 and places her hand on Daiya's shoulder. The whole reveal is just so... underwhelming. Kokone Kirino should've been the owner.

[HakoMari Vol5-6] I see mentions of prostitution, rape, AIDS, and suicide, but really it feels like they're just superficially there to make the story seem more thematically dark (edgy), especially since random no-name side characters (all female, to boot) are the ones suffering those issues. Anyone can write this stuff in and have a character (in this case, Daiya) lament the horrors/tragedies of the world or something; this kind of execution just feels shallow though, lacking maturity and deeper exploration.

[HakoMari Vol7] That random Kazuki sediment thingy was just a plot device to explain stuff to Maria, and in a very dry, detached manner, too. Convenient and lacking energy.

[HakoMari Vol7] Aya's backstory in particular was pretty damn cringe-worthy, with some newly introduced throwaway characters. I remember stuff about a burning house, some kid going crazy in front of Aya, some teacher falling in love with her or something, and some other weird, over-the-top stuff. Plus, the development came too late for me to really care about Aya. I don't think she was a really compelling character either way, since most of her backstory described her more exaggerated, seemingly superhuman parts, which is unfortunate for the main antagonist.

By the way, it feels to me that the plot is less about a theme of "wishes" (meaning, exploration, possible dangers/advantages, etc) and more about "Hey, what kind of contrived wishes can I come up with that I can arbitrarily morph into psychological thrillers? Cuz yes, *all distorted wishes* should result in psychological thrillers, amirite? Basically, Mikage's plot ideas come to him very conveniently; he can essentially tweak whatever wish he wants into almost whatever cool psychological thriller mystery plot he wants, just because. For example, somehow Kamiuchi's wish gets distorted into a death game with VEEERY specific and complicated rules and layout. Why? Did Kamiuchi think specifically about any of that? I don't think so. Another example, somehow Karino's wish gets distorted into a f*cking cinema that plays movies/recordings of very precise memories from Daiya's past. Why? Did Karino think specifically about any of that? I don't think so. So in general, the whole wish-distortion idea makes for very, very, VERY flexible writing, to the point of being overly convenient and contrived, kind of "gimmicky". Promoting an oh-so-deep theme of "be careful what you wish for"? Nah, not really, it's just that any wish you make is very conveniently distorted into whatever Mikage wants so the plot can actually be interesting somehow and screw you over in the most insane ways.

^Granted, I'm sure most people wouldn't really consider this a problem. But like, why can't there be a "good" distorted wish? A supernatural wish shouldn't be inherently bad, you know.

Oh, and here's some terribly written dialogue:

[HakoMari Vol1] "I absolutely refuse to abandon you to solitude!"

^Kazuki (to Mogi). LOOOOOL WTF. Seriously, imagine a modern-day teenager saying that out loud to another person, it's hilariously chuuni-sounding. Using "absolutely", "refuse", "abandon", and friggin "solitude" is really bad word choice, it's over-the-top and pretentious. Just say "I'm not leaving you alone like this!" and be done with it... it's still a tad cliche, but at least it sounds a helluva lot more natural than the original. (Granted, this may be due to some poor translation, but regardless, you're all apparently fully accepting of this kind of poor dialogue, which I cannot overlook... at the very least, I rarely ever see anyone here criticizing the prose, so yeah)

[HakoMari Vol5] "It’s true that many people who think the death penalty is an easy answer are idiots. But even if you have an informed opinion after evaluating the sinners, the correct answer is still the death penalty. I know I’m being presumptuous here, having killed people in the ‘Game of Idleness’ myself, but I can still say with conviction that those guys are truly different from those of us who possess common sense. There really are assholes who can’t be pitied and make you want to vomit! You’d be surprised by their ignorance, their complete lack of empathy, and the crap that comes out of their mouths! It’s people like that who commit crimes. They are simply unable to adapt to society. Just take this guy here: guess what he said when I asked him if he pitied the girls he raped? ‘But I can’t hold back,’ ‘they were unlucky, running into me when I’m feeling like this,’ ‘I know I’m doing something wrong, but what can I do about it?’ Do you get what I’m saying? Don’t you feel the repulsiveness of those statements? These guys never learn. They don’t understand how much their victims suffer. They don’t realize what they have done. They have no scruples about privileging their own desires above the rights of everyone else. I now realize that they are born as scum - they can’t escape their destiny."

^Iroha. Like, holy shit... I physically cringe when reading that. Ranty, pseudo-philosophical monologue that pretends to be deep but actually isn't, and it's also way too wordy, too non-subtle (seriously, it's so in-your-face), too overdramatic, and too stilted in delivery. And Iroha's rant is just a pretty standard, simple perspective to take, it's not really thought-provoking at all. -*Something like this can't be just a translation problem, it's most likely a flaw with the original Japanese prose.*-

[HakoMari Vol6] "It was inevitable! Do you think that it wouldn’t have any effect on me when people honestly think that I’m a wicked devil? Even worse, I used to be a shy and silent girl, don’t you understand what that means? Do you think I could in all honesty still think positively of myself after being treated like shit, burned with cigarettes and told off as a devil, a bitch, a whore? I can’t! I couldn’t! Can you imagine a whole bunch of people doing horrible things to you? Who are seriously thinking that you’re just scum who deserves it? Of course I would start to think so, too! Of course I would think that I deserve it! That was the only way to put up with all that stuff! Those marks have stolen all my self- confidence, self-respect, and everything I hold dear!"

^Kokone. Thank you very much, Kokone, for *explaining your psychology in such excruciating, expository detail*, dear God... again, not subtle at all, and very in-your-face. And once again, something like this can't be just a translation problem. Like, I know teenagers can rant and sound whiny, but the dialogue just comes off pretentious and does not feel natural, and from a storytelling perspective, the writing here is just too heavy-handed and unskillful.

And there's plenty more poorly written dialogue scattered throughout the series...

LightBladeNovaSep 17, 2017 6:47 PM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Sep 18, 2017 11:51 AM

Apr 2015
LightBladeNova said:
Freestyle80 said:

If you'd like to see some more criticism, then here's mine (because the endless praise everywhere is honestly annoying, even though I gave HakoMari a 9/10 myself):

(Note: I have nothing against Mikage, and I'm not trying to badmouth him. I'm just trying to offer hopefully reasonable critique of his work, since almost everyone else here is heaping nothing but praise. And I'm not trying to be contrarian just for the sake of going against what's popular; it's just that too much positive circlejerk gets boring after a while, we could use some more variety in opinions for discussion. And obviously, this is all just my opinion.)

Some of my main problems with HakoMari include the awkward dialogue/prose at many points, the tendency of several characters to over-explain things and sometimes speak in similar voices, and the lack of subtlety (especially in the philosophical ramblings of characters in Volumes 5 and 6). Though I guess those 3 things are all related to each other.

I dunno if this is just a problem with the translation, but often times, the way the characters speak feels so... stilted? Mechanical? Generally, the prose kinda reads like fanfiction. There's also very little description so it's sometimes difficult for me to feel grounded in the setting and events that are happening. Furthermore, I feel that HakoMari does too much "telling", over-explaining thought processes and psychology in too much of a tedious, expositional manner that, again, the writing feels stiff and mechanical as a result, with a lack of subtlety in execution.

And here are some spoiler criticisms (not all the criticisms I have...):

*Volume 2 is straight up bad, with poor mystery and lackluster antagonists who drop out of the story afterwards, and generally poor plot. Volume 2 by itself already prevents HakoMari from being some godly amazing masterpiece, in my opinion. Granted, Vol2 does have some decent relationship-building for Kazuki and Maria, but that's pretty much the only thing going for it.*

Almost everyone has some kind of (melo)dramatic school (love) drama backstory... it gets tedious and repetitive after a while, not to mention kinda cringe-worthy. Where are the adult characters and their distorted wishes? That would've been interesting to explore, for more variety. Anyway, there was this one subplot in Volumes 3/4, for example, about a love triangle involving Iroha, Yuuri, and some random throwaway guy, which was pretty ridiculous. Seriously, the guy didn't even get a name. I know it was to contribute to the whole jealousy theme going on, but it felt like a superficial add-on and frankly, these are rather generic, uninteresting backstories anyway. Oh, and I remember a scene where Iroha, like, chops off her finger or something to show her leadership resolve? Pretty over-the-top... to the point it almost comes off as funny instead of serious. It's kinda like one of those overly dramatic scenes in Death Note, maybe the "SAKUJO SAKUJO SAKUJO!" scenes, lol. But yeah, not a fan of it.

The school is literally the only concrete setting in HakoMari lol, with everywhere else being vague background blurs with little description...

Kazuki is honestly a pretty bland protagonist, especially from Vol1 to the end of Vol3. You may argue that him being so generic and "ordinary" is intentional as it serves to make him a symbol of everyday life or something, but I don't think that's a good enough excuse. "Everyday life" doesn't mean the protagonist has to be plain; there are plenty of people in our real-world "everyday life" with more vibrant and interesting personalities. Take Kyon from the Haruhi series, for example. He also appreciates and enjoys his ordinary life, though he's obviously not (unhealthily) obsessed with it to the extent that Kazuki is, but Kyon is a much more interesting protagonist in terms of thought process, dialogue, and personality.

In Vol4, Kazuki gets somewhat better by being more proactive and not relying on Maria all the time, but that kinda gets undermined by his frankly unnatural development in Vol5-6. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think his gradual insanity development is written that well, even though I admit it makes him more interesting. Again, I just don't think it's a natural transition from Vol4; his change feels like it's due more to contrived plot "design" as a result of Maria's box influence rather than a more human approach to psychology. Basically, it's like "Oh, maybe I can make Kazuki crazier and throw in some convenient supernatural explanation so he's not bland anymore." And that's not the only thing: eventually, most of Kazuki's character revolves almost entirely around Maria, to the point that I remember Kazuki much more for his designed insanity and obsession with her rather than his own individual merits as a character. As someone said earlier, Kazuki's somewhat of an empty vessel without Maria. Not to mention how I personally don't see that much romantic chemistry between them. Maria, in terms of personality and individuality, is much more compelling and interesting than Kazuki; she has her own individual character arc that doesn't revolve around him. What I desire from romantic pairings in fiction is for the two characters to be around equally competent/complex/compelling, but Kazuki-Maria is quite lopsided in Maria's favor. So yeah, I wasn't invested in this romance so much, unfortunately.

[HakoMari Vol3] Touji Kijima and Yanagi Nana. Lol, what the hell was this all about? They were introduced in Volume 3 as part of Kazuki's backstory, with Kijima being his best friend and Nana being his first love, but I really don't think any of this was necessary. I mainly remember more melodrama with "drinking tears" and stuff... jeezus. This is what I mean when I say the execution of scenes feels over-the-top sometimes. Admittedly, if I recall correctly, I think Nana had something to do with Kazuki's Empty Box, but that was literally the only relevance. As individual characters, Nana and Kijima were pretty useless, with like no lines of dialogue for either of them, and this is further damning because they were part of the *protagonist's* backstory. It also doesn't help that Nana was hyped up to be someone important by "O" at the end of Volume 4, when "O" took on Nana's appearance for some odd reason. So yeah, basically, this whole thing should've been cut; explaining the origins of Kazuki's Empty Box could've been executed differently and better.

[HakoMari Vol4] Okay, so Kamiuchi is a crazy sadistic high school kid who's fine with killing AND rape cuz dark edginess, and the entire reason for the Game of Idleness is because he was f*cking bored. Just great... that's literally the only possible reason that someone could have for thinking such a screwed up distorted wish too, how convenient... how contrived. And Kamiuchi also had a pretty cliche, cringey school backstory. The thing is, I'm not inherently against high school melodrama, and I mean no offense to anyone suffering difficult hardship, of course, but HakoMari... I dunno, to me, just the execution of the writing here feels juvenile and exaggerated to the point that it's almost hard to take seriously. Probably has to do with the poor prose and over-the-top feel of some of the dialogue and scenes.

[HakoMari Vol6] Miyuki Karino being the owner of the Wish-Crushing Cinema box. What? Some trivial flashback character with, again, like no development and no lines of dialogue is the main culprit for this entire Vol 5-6 arc? Seriously? Talk about anticlimactic and out-of-left-field jarring... and then Karino says absolutely nothing even when she shows up near the end of Vol 6 and places her hand on Daiya's shoulder. The whole reveal is just so... underwhelming. Kokone Kirino should've been the owner.

[HakoMari Vol5-6] I see mentions of prostitution, rape, AIDS, and suicide, but really it feels like they're just superficially there to make the story seem more thematically dark (edgy), especially since random no-name side characters (all female, to boot) are the ones suffering those issues. Anyone can write this stuff in and have a character (in this case, Daiya) lament the horrors/tragedies of the world or something; this kind of execution just feels shallow though, lacking maturity and deeper exploration.

[HakoMari Vol7] That random Kazuki sediment thingy was just a plot device to explain stuff to Maria, and in a very dry, detached manner, too. Convenient and lacking energy.

[HakoMari Vol7] Aya's backstory in particular was pretty damn cringe-worthy, with some newly introduced throwaway characters. I remember stuff about a burning house, some kid going crazy in front of Aya, some teacher falling in love with her or something, and some other weird, over-the-top stuff. Plus, the development came too late for me to really care about Aya. I don't think she was a really compelling character either way, since most of her backstory described her more exaggerated, seemingly superhuman parts, which is unfortunate for the main antagonist.

By the way, it feels to me that the plot is less about a theme of "wishes" (meaning, exploration, possible dangers/advantages, etc) and more about "Hey, what kind of contrived wishes can I come up with that I can arbitrarily morph into psychological thrillers? Cuz yes, *all distorted wishes* should result in psychological thrillers, amirite? Basically, Mikage's plot ideas come to him very conveniently; he can essentially tweak whatever wish he wants into almost whatever cool psychological thriller mystery plot he wants, just because. For example, somehow Kamiuchi's wish gets distorted into a death game with VEEERY specific and complicated rules and layout. Why? Did Kamiuchi think specifically about any of that? I don't think so. Another example, somehow Karino's wish gets distorted into a f*cking cinema that plays movies/recordings of very precise memories from Daiya's past. Why? Did Karino think specifically about any of that? I don't think so. So in general, the whole wish-distortion idea makes for very, very, VERY flexible writing, to the point of being overly convenient and contrived, kind of "gimmicky". Promoting an oh-so-deep theme of "be careful what you wish for"? Nah, not really, it's just that any wish you make is very conveniently distorted into whatever Mikage wants so the plot can actually be interesting somehow and screw you over in the most insane ways.

^Granted, I'm sure most people wouldn't really consider this a problem. But like, why can't there be a "good" distorted wish? A supernatural wish shouldn't be inherently bad, you know.

Oh, and here's some terribly written dialogue:

[HakoMari Vol1] "I absolutely refuse to abandon you to solitude!"

^Kazuki (to Mogi). LOOOOOL WTF. Seriously, imagine a modern-day teenager saying that out loud to another person, it's hilariously chuuni-sounding. Using "absolutely", "refuse", "abandon", and friggin "solitude" is really bad word choice, it's over-the-top and pretentious. Just say "I'm not leaving you alone like this!" and be done with it... it's still a tad cliche, but at least it sounds a helluva lot more natural than the original. (Granted, this may be due to some poor translation, but regardless, you're all apparently fully accepting of this kind of poor dialogue, which I cannot overlook... at the very least, I rarely ever see anyone here criticizing the prose, so yeah)

[HakoMari Vol5] "It’s true that many people who think the death penalty is an easy answer are idiots. But even if you have an informed opinion after evaluating the sinners, the correct answer is still the death penalty. I know I’m being presumptuous here, having killed people in the ‘Game of Idleness’ myself, but I can still say with conviction that those guys are truly different from those of us who possess common sense. There really are assholes who can’t be pitied and make you want to vomit! You’d be surprised by their ignorance, their complete lack of empathy, and the crap that comes out of their mouths! It’s people like that who commit crimes. They are simply unable to adapt to society. Just take this guy here: guess what he said when I asked him if he pitied the girls he raped? ‘But I can’t hold back,’ ‘they were unlucky, running into me when I’m feeling like this,’ ‘I know I’m doing something wrong, but what can I do about it?’ Do you get what I’m saying? Don’t you feel the repulsiveness of those statements? These guys never learn. They don’t understand how much their victims suffer. They don’t realize what they have done. They have no scruples about privileging their own desires above the rights of everyone else. I now realize that they are born as scum - they can’t escape their destiny."

^Iroha. Like, holy shit... I physically cringe when reading that. Ranty, pseudo-philosophical monologue that pretends to be deep but actually isn't, and it's also way too wordy, too non-subtle (seriously, it's so in-your-face), too overdramatic, and too stilted in delivery. And Iroha's rant is just a pretty standard, simple perspective to take, it's not really thought-provoking at all. -*Something like this can't be just a translation problem, it's most likely a flaw with the original Japanese prose.*-

[HakoMari Vol6] "It was inevitable! Do you think that it wouldn’t have any effect on me when people honestly think that I’m a wicked devil? Even worse, I used to be a shy and silent girl, don’t you understand what that means? Do you think I could in all honesty still think positively of myself after being treated like shit, burned with cigarettes and told off as a devil, a bitch, a whore? I can’t! I couldn’t! Can you imagine a whole bunch of people doing horrible things to you? Who are seriously thinking that you’re just scum who deserves it? Of course I would start to think so, too! Of course I would think that I deserve it! That was the only way to put up with all that stuff! Those marks have stolen all my self- confidence, self-respect, and everything I hold dear!"

^Kokone. Thank you very much, Kokone, for *explaining your psychology in such excruciating, expository detail*, dear God... again, not subtle at all, and very in-your-face. And once again, something like this can't be just a translation problem. Like, I know teenagers can rant and sound whiny, but the dialogue just comes off pretentious and does not feel natural, and from a storytelling perspective, the writing here is just too heavy-handed and unskillful.

And there's plenty more poorly written dialogue scattered throughout the series...

Why do I feel that the whole wall of text you put here can be summarized to "the writing is too chuuni for me"? All the characteristic you put are those that's commonly found in chuunige. Aside from translations.
Sep 18, 2017 1:00 PM

Jul 2014
You said:
Why do I feel that the whole wall of text you put here can be summarized to "the writing is too chuuni for me"? All the characteristic you put are those that's commonly found in chuunige. Aside from translations.

Because as I said, I think the writing tends to be too expository and lack subtlety? Characters may over-explain stuff or come off as somewhat exaggerated, like with the Iroha and Kokone quotes I posted (and again, with those quotes, they're likely not just translation issues). I'd appreciate it if you don't try to reduce my entire argument to simply a chuuni complaint. I was fine with Dies Irae, which is like the ultimate chuunige, so yeah. It's just that HakoMari's writing execution sometimes feels poor to me, because the story is supposed to be a more sensitive and serious approach to character psychology and behavior. And so the occasional overexplanation, lack of subtlety, and over-the-top moments feel jarring to me in the tonal context of the story. The high school melodrama thing is a more subjective criticism on my part; I just thought a lot of it was kind of generic and uninteresting, and it got tedious and repetitive (since, again, almost every character had something like that). I don't think that's a chuuni criticism. And anyway, there's such thing as poorly written chuuni.

And Volume 2 is still legit bad.

But hey, you don't have to agree with me. I see you rated HakoMari a 10/10 so I imagine you're a big fan, but hearing only positive praise all the time isn't really fun or interesting. I just tried to offer my own hopefully reasonable criticism to give a different perspective for discussion.

I can give credit where it's due though, of course, since I gave HakoMari a 9/10 myself. The main reasons are because the mysteries and plot twists were all quite well developed and logical, and aside from the occasional over-the-top hiccups in characterization, all the relevant characters got good development, with Daiya and Maria being standouts. Despite the prose problems, the story is still just a pretty addictive read, with nice pacing and not many dull moments. And Volume 7 has Kazuki's insane emotional journey (though Aya's backstory is still meh, in my opinion) along with a really great ending. It's hard to find an ending that's so emotionally satisfying.

So yeah, there you go. I'm not some hater lol.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Sep 18, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2015
LightBladeNova said:
You said:

Because as I said, I think the writing tends to be too expository and lack subtlety? Characters may over-explain stuff or come off as somewhat exaggerated, like with the Iroha and Kokone quotes I posted (and again, with those quotes, they're likely not just translation issues). I'd appreciate it if you don't try to reduce my entire argument to simply a chuuni complaint. I was fine with Dies Irae, which is like the ultimate chuunige, so yeah. It's just that HakoMari's writing execution sometimes feels poor to me, because the story is supposed to be a more sensitive and serious approach to character psychology and behavior. And so the occasional overexplanation, lack of subtlety, and over-the-top moments feel jarring to me in the tonal context of the story. The high school melodrama thing is a more subjective criticism on my part; I just thought a lot of it was kind of generic and uninteresting, and it got tedious and repetitive (since, again, almost every character had something like that). I don't think that's a chuuni criticism. And anyway, there's such thing as poorly written chuuni.

And Volume 2 is still legit bad.

But hey, you don't have to agree with me. I see you rated HakoMari a 10/10 so I imagine you're a big fan, but hearing only positive praise all the time isn't really fun or interesting. I just tried to offer my own hopefully reasonable criticism to give a different perspective for discussion.

I can give credit where it's due though, of course, since I gave HakoMari a 9/10 myself. The main reasons are because the mysteries and plot twists were all quite well developed and logical, and aside from the occasional over-the-top hiccups in characterization, all the relevant characters got good development, with Daiya and Maria being standouts. Despite the prose problems, the story is still just a pretty addictive read, with nice pacing and not many dull moments. And Volume 7 has Kazuki's insane emotional journey (though Aya's backstory is still meh, in my opinion) along with a really great ending. It's hard to find an ending that's so emotionally satisfying.

So yeah, there you go. I'm not some hater lol.
I was meant about the whole violent melodrama and backstories though, and yeah it's being expository at times? Now I wonder why you're okay with Dies Irae but not with Kazuki on first 3 volumes because Ren and Kazuki vol 1-3 has little difference. Both are extreme daily life lover to the point that it defines most of their characterization.

Volume 2 is the weakest, we all know it lol.

And yep give it a 10/10. It's not like I give it only to a "perfect" work so I give quite a lot of it. But yeah it's one of my favorites, although not the most.

Not sure on what kinds of subtlety you wanted to though.
Sep 18, 2017 4:37 PM

Jul 2014
You said:
I was meant about the whole violent melodrama and backstories though, and yeah it's being expository at times? Now I wonder why you're okay with Dies Irae but not with Kazuki on first 3 volumes because Ren and Kazuki vol 1-3 has little difference. Both are extreme daily life lover to the point that it defines most of their characterization.

And yep give it a 10/10. It's not like I give it only to a "perfect" work so I give quite a lot of it. But yeah it's one of my favorites, although not the most.

Well, the melodrama's not really violent most of the time; again, I'm just saying that it's repetitive and mildly tedious to keep going through all these generic high school backstories (all involving some kind of romance) for almost all the characters. Too much cliche, uninspired school-related/teen-romance-related drama, not enough original variety.

About Ren vs. Kazuki, here's the thing:

1.) I'm not a big fan of Ren either, he's kinda okay to me. But Ren doesn't make up all of Dies Irae anyway. My favorite thing about the VN is how interesting and entertaining a lot of the *other* characters are, especially the antagonists.

2.) Even though I'm not a big fan of Ren, I can say he's more interesting than Kazuki as an individual character at least, because while they're both pretty obsessed with their everyday lives, Ren has a more sophisticated philosophy behind his obsession, with some deeper thoughts on the subject, like for example, his wish for time to stop so he can enjoy living in his present ordinary life without fear of the unknown (foreknowledge vs. unknown), as well as his appreciation for the beauty of "ephemeral moments", the fleeting nature of life. I don't recall Kazuki really having this kind of explored depth behind his daily life obsession.

3.) Even without the daily life philosophy, Ren still has a more defined personality than Kazuki; Ren can be somewhat distant from others, he can be stubborn and sharp-tongued when expressing his opinions/convictions, he can be kinda cynical, and he just has more active vitality than Kazuki, who's more passive/reactive and ordinary (at least until Vol4).

Yes, Vol2 is the weakest, and is probably the main reason why I'm not giving HakoMari a 10/10.

As for subtlety, I already gave the quote examples from Iroha and Kokone... those are way too expository and heavy-handed in delivery, not subtle at all. A lot of the time, HakoMari tends to focus too much on "telling" psychology or thought processes or reasoning in excessive detail, probably due in part to the lack of narrative description. It's kind of mechanical writing.

Again, if you don't agree, then that's fine. Simply put, I just don't find HakoMari as "OMG BEST THING EVER" amazing as so many other people here seem to think. I feel the same way for Steins;Gate and Muv-Luv Alternative. I never tend to fanboy about anything, I try to be more balanced when possible.
LightBladeNovaSep 18, 2017 4:50 PM

Sep 18, 2017 6:22 PM

Apr 2015
LightBladeNova said:
You said:

Well, the melodrama's not really violent most of the time; again, I'm just saying that it's repetitive and mildly tedious to keep going through all these generic high school backstories (all involving some kind of romance) for almost all the characters. Too much cliche, uninspired school-related/teen-romance-related drama, not enough original variety.

About Ren vs. Kazuki, here's the thing:

1.) I'm not a big fan of Ren either, he's kinda okay to me. But Ren doesn't make up all of Dies Irae anyway. My favorite thing about the VN is how interesting and entertaining a lot of the *other* characters are, especially the antagonists.

2.) Even though I'm not a big fan of Ren, I can say he's more interesting than Kazuki as an individual character at least, because while they're both pretty obsessed with their everyday lives, Ren has a more sophisticated philosophy behind his obsession, with some deeper thoughts on the subject, like for example, his wish for time to stop so he can enjoy living in his present ordinary life without fear of the unknown (foreknowledge vs. unknown), as well as his appreciation for the beauty of "ephemeral moments", the fleeting nature of life. I don't recall Kazuki really having this kind of explored depth behind his daily life obsession.

3.) Even without the daily life philosophy, Ren still has a more defined personality than Kazuki; Ren can be somewhat distant from others, he can be stubborn and sharp-tongued when expressing his opinions/convictions, he can be kinda cynical, and he just has more active vitality than Kazuki, who's more passive/reactive and ordinary (at least until Vol4).

Yes, Vol2 is the weakest, and is probably the main reason why I'm not giving HakoMari a 10/10.

As for subtlety, I already gave the quote examples from Iroha and Kokone... those are way too expository and heavy-handed in delivery, not subtle at all. A lot of the time, HakoMari tends to focus too much on "telling" psychology or thought processes or reasoning in excessive detail, probably due in part to the lack of narrative description. It's kind of mechanical writing.

Again, if you don't agree, then that's fine. Simply put, I just don't find HakoMari as "OMG BEST THING EVER" amazing as so many other people here seem to think. I feel the same way for Steins;Gate and Muv-Luv Alternative. I never tend to fanboy about anything, I try to be more balanced when possible.
No, I agree with that. Ren has his tsundere side (very visible during Kei's route) and donkan side, while Kazuki isn't and more of ordinary guy, before develops into a yandere. I'm fine with his development though, I like it.

Well it's somewhat expository yeah, perhaps to avoid people questioning stuffs, lol
Oct 6, 2017 8:25 PM

Dec 2008
Just wanted to get my thoughts vented out somewhere about the book here, but I ended up giving this an 8 out of 10. Mind you an 8 till my standards is still great and if I had to rate this on enjoyment alone then this would be a 9 or a solid 10. The writing and the ideas used are very gripping in a way that you actually just can't put the book down and binge sessions are just very common. Unlike something like oregairu where I myself would need to read it parts at a time. However, volume 7 for the most part contained most of my complaints about the series as a whole. It ended up being one of the best and in a way a meh volume at the same time.

Like the entire recursion aspect like the repeating classroom was just simply amazing. The constant talk about different methods of suicide, how strong mankind really is, and how hard it is to commit mass genocide is simply amazing. The whole Aya backstory is okay, but in the end they try to say she isn't super human but still completely write her off as if she is super human its just weird. 'O' giving up because Kazuki banged inside of her for too long was pretty hilarious. Again the sediment thing speaking out convenient parts of the plot were 'ehhhhh' like maybe there was a better way to deliver it.

I think the worst part of it all or my biggest gripe is that they paint Kazuki's obsession, yes obsession, with Maria as love. While it might sound like some deterioration of his mental state even after Daiya killed someone he was still fairly sensible about his actions he was just an idiot about how others felt around him. With Kazuki though after his first kill he legit became completely insane. Like from Maria's standpoint in volume 6 it made sense for her to call him a devil because you realize the lengths he is willing to go to to protect his beloved Maria. It as if he is idolizing her in the same way that people had idolized Daiya as his crazy fanatics. Not to mention when Maria sees all this she kind of smiles and goes something like "wow you are willing to do all this for me" or something like that. I am not sure if any girl would be realistically flattered that you completely massacred people with a chainsaw as a love letter to someone.

By the end of it I feel this issue wasn't properly addressed and that Kazuki wasn't able to properly 'love' Maria for who she is which kind of sucks because scenes in Volume 3 and 4 where they hold hands and they get close are great and makes me root for them as the OTP. Even the scenes where he sleeps with Maria in the same bed or some of the epilogue scenes are great and sweet.

But even in the real world this man ended up literally murdering a dog just to find answers about Maria. Hell instead of calling the cops the Aunt pretty much goes "If I tell you what you want to know will you leave?" Like bitch you murdered my pet I'm gonna call the police first before going out there.
Oct 11, 2017 2:46 PM
Jun 2016
Best novel of all times
Oct 15, 2017 3:57 PM
Nov 2015
Just finished it while listening to the ED and damn that was a feels trip, 10/10 imo, im still hoping for an wedding illustration tho.
Oct 21, 2017 8:07 AM

Jun 2014
grandy_UiD said:
This was my first light novel. I enjoyed it but don't think it's quite as amazing as some people seem to think.

The main problem I had with the series was the relationship between Kazuki and Maria. For the longest time it just felt so fake and forced. Yeah, they spent that eternity together in the Rejecting Classroom and that's supposed to make them closer to each other than anyone else. But I just didn't feel it. There was just no chemistry between them, their interactions somehow lacked any kind of warmth and emotion (might also be because Kazuki was so unbelievably bland for most of the series). In my opinion it wasn't really "love" but just a really unhealthy and weird obsession with each other. Anyway, I didn't buy it and could never shake this thought off throughout the entire series, which kinda diminished my enjoyment. (As far as the romance department goes I preferred the Mogi X Kazuki pairing)

Also the Kokone x Daiya relationship was MUCH more interesting and emotional.

That being said, I quite liked the series overall and rate it 8/10.

I realize this reply was over a year and half ago but I felt compelled to reply after finishing the Novel.

The reason why it doesn't feel right is because you're probably used to the generic relationships shown in anime & manga, this is beyond that, neither of them had any kind of "love" towards eachother in the rejecting classroom, at least none that they were aware of.

Kazuki was obviously in love with Mogi & Maria was just Aya, this begins to change towards the end of the rejecting classrom & their relationships became closer & closer afterwards, however, my point is that if you spent 70+ years with a single person that you absolutely knew from the bottom of your heart that you could trust then sooner or later even without you realizing it you'll care a great deal about them, that in itself can be called some sort of love, and that's exactly what the author was trying to portray and honestly he did an amazing job at it.

One of the few reasons why I felt like the romance in this LN was so strong & impactful when compared to anything I've ever read os far was exactly because of how long they actually spent together
SteelHardOct 21, 2017 8:18 AM
Oct 21, 2017 8:33 AM

Jun 2014
Freestyle80 said:
xzysc said:

What do you guys think?

I finished the LN yesterday and it only took me 2-3 days so everything is still fresh in my mind so let me tell you this:

In no point in the story do we get told that Kazuki WAS FORCED to save Maria, nor do we get told that Maria's wish forces him to save her, if it did then his success would be pre determined and her box would be perfect.

The thing is that people are getting too focused on Kazuki's actions and not the actual reasoning for them, yes, he is insane, yes he loves Maria, yes he worships Maria, yes he would kill every single person in the world for Maria and yes he is her knight.

However ever since the very first volume we're always told that he was peculiar, hence why 'O' took interest in him, to begin with, he wasn't Maria's knight and yet his desire to accomplish is goal is what made 'O' take an interest in him and it's exactly why Daiya tells him that he feels so distant almost to the point of not being considered a human -- No human could ever aim towards a goal and keep going for it even after literally hundreds of years, and yet, he still did it.

The point is that Kazuki ever since the beginning was unnatural, his willpower was superhuman.

As was explained, he wasn't always Maria's knight, as he and Maria became closer she started to depend on him, she started to grow feelings for him even though she wasn't aware of them or despite suppressing them, this can be seen as early as volume 3 when she tells him to never let her go and to save her, as she became closer to him so did her feeligns thus the real "Maria" started becoming "stronger" and actually believing that she could be saved hence why Kazuki became her Knight, however we were not told that he was ever forced to save her at any costs, HE himself is the one that decides so after he notices how much he has depended on her ever since the rejecting classroom and thus he decided to become her knight in the death game long long before we're even introduced the whole empty box & him actually being Maria's Knight based on her wish.

TLDR;
Kazuki was not forced to do anything.
Maria's Wish didn't force him to save her and sacrifice everything and everyone
Kazuki unnatural willpower was always there since volume 1
His willpower was what made him decide to save Maria at any costs even long before we're introduced the whole Empty box & his Knight duty.
SteelHardOct 21, 2017 8:37 AM
Oct 26, 2017 10:46 AM

Aug 2013
SteelHard said:
Freestyle80 said:

I finished the LN yesterday and it only took me 2-3 days so everything is still fresh in my mind so let me tell you this:

In no point in the story do we get told that Kazuki WAS FORCED to save Maria, nor do we get told that Maria's wish forces him to save her, if it did then his success would be pre determined and her box would be perfect.

The thing is that people are getting too focused on Kazuki's actions and not the actual reasoning for them, yes, he is insane, yes he loves Maria, yes he worships Maria, yes he would kill every single person in the world for Maria and yes he is her knight.

However ever since the very first volume we're always told that he was peculiar, hence why 'O' took interest in him, to begin with, he wasn't Maria's knight and yet his desire to accomplish is goal is what made 'O' take an interest in him and it's exactly why Daiya tells him that he feels so distant almost to the point of not being considered a human -- No human could ever aim towards a goal and keep going for it even after literally hundreds of years, and yet, he still did it.

The point is that Kazuki ever since the beginning was unnatural, his willpower was superhuman.

As was explained, he wasn't always Maria's knight, as he and Maria became closer she started to depend on him, she started to grow feelings for him even though she wasn't aware of them or despite suppressing them, this can be seen as early as volume 3 when she tells him to never let her go and to save her, as she became closer to him so did her feeligns thus the real "Maria" started becoming "stronger" and actually believing that she could be saved hence why Kazuki became her Knight, however we were not told that he was ever forced to save her at any costs, HE himself is the one that decides so after he notices how much he has depended on her ever since the rejecting classroom and thus he decided to become her knight in the death game long long before we're even introduced the whole empty box & him actually being Maria's Knight based on her wish.

TLDR;
His willpower was what made him decide to save Maria at any costs even long before we're introduced the whole Empty box & his Knight duty.

go read it again, u missed out so many obvious plot points

the MC was not in love with Maria, The only reason he could remember her was because he was already influenced by her 'box' by the time the Rejecting Classroom came into existence

The only reason he helped her to that extent is because of her unconscious selfish wish of a 'knight' that would save her. This was explained clearly in the novel, how could u miss this? No i aint going to re read and point out where, go do it yourself

And u say willpower? U think it was willpower that made him do that? haha no

Each time he died and each time he almost forgot his purpose, the box forcefully reminded him of his sole duty, even when he doesnt even remember her name he knows that there is someone he HAS to save, its not a want, thats what he is more or less 'programmed' to do now. You saw the terrible power of boxes Vol.2 and how it could influence people. Taking over a body, taking over control like its no big deal, same shit here.

And you can confirm this towards the end when all Kazuki did was bash a wall, he had no will, he was just carrying out a action that was forced upon him.

So yes in conclusion,It is very clear the power of boxes compelled him to do all that insane stuff in vol 6 and vol 7. He isnt the type of character to do those stuff.
Oct 26, 2017 11:33 AM

Jun 2014
Freestyle80 said:
SteelHard said:

TLDR;

go read it again, u missed out so many obvious plot points

the MC was not in love with Maria, The only reason he could remember her was because he was already influenced by her 'box' by the time the Rejecting Classroom came into existence

The only reason he helped her to that extent is because of her unconscious selfish wish of a 'knight' that would save her. This was explained clearly in the novel, how could u miss this? No i aint going to re read and point out where, go do it yourself

And u say willpower? U think it was willpower that made him do that? haha no

Each time he died and each time he almost forgot his purpose, the box forcefully reminded him of his sole duty, even when he doesnt even remember her name he knows that there is someone he HAS to save, its not a want, thats what he is more or less 'programmed' to do now. You saw the terrible power of boxes Vol.2 and how it could influence people. Taking over a body, taking over control like its no big deal, same shit here.

And you can confirm this towards the end when all Kazuki did was bash a wall, he had no will, he was just carrying out a action that was forced upon him.

So yes in conclusion,It is very clear the power of boxes compelled him to do all that insane stuff in vol 6 and vol 7. He isnt the type of character to do those stuff.

Wrong, nowhere in the novel it tells you that he is forced to save her just because he is his knight, that's what he says to himself that he will be her knight and sacrifice anything and everything for her, Maria herself chose him to be her knight after she got close to him, it gave him the power to destroy boxes but it did not force him to change, in fact, NONE of the boxes forced ANYONE to change, it just forced them into certain situation, the only box that comes remotely close to being able to control other people is Daiya's but even that requires him to perform certain actions to control them (step on their shadow) and requires him to pretty much absorb their sin, and we're explained that they can be control with his box, however we're never told anything even remotely close to that from Maria's box despite having knowledge of her box ever since volume 1.

Not only that but following your logic would mean that his fate & the box fate was preordained, are you implying that the box was created with the purpose of eventually no matter what it would end up being destroyed?

None of the boxes had such a fate, they all were destroyed due to external forces not because the box made itself be destroyed, doesn't make sense to me.

Already during volume 1 he showed signs of developing amorous affection towards Maria despiting saying he loved the other girl (whos name I can't remember right now) the signs kept getting stronger and stronger as the volumes kept progressing, just because he doesn't says "I love you" it doesn't mean that he didn't love her, actions are worth more than words.

"And u say willpower? U think it was willpower that made him do that? haha no"
Yes, since the start of volume 1 it's said that Kazuki is very different from most people, that it feels like he's not even human and it's the exact reason why O was interested in him long before he was even Maria's knight, it was even said in volume 4 or 5 that his willpower was not human that he would always reach his goal and would never quit
Oct 27, 2017 5:01 AM
Jun 2016
Sorry for bad english in advance.I don't know many fancy english words so what I want to say should be easy to grasp.

I finished the light novel the day before yesterday and I just came upon this debate so while things are still clear in my mind I can say the following:

1-The role given to kazuki as Maria's" knight" is born from Maria's subconscious doubt about her wish ,and thus she is unaware of his role. Also kazuki was unaware when he received the role so his actions were not based upon it.

2-The role's influence goes as as to have allowed him to form his relationship with Maria in the rejecting classroom by allowing him to retain his memory but doesn't affect his choices. While their bond was not of love at first it slowly progressed towards it throughout the vloume. As steelhard-san said actions speak louder than words which was clearly shown

3-For the people speaking from the counter point of view , isn't it self-defeating for the author to go for a bleak epilogue where kazuki was simply forced to do everything and marry Maria not out of love but need? I simply think we side tracked by overanalyzing and missed the author 's intention.

While it's true that saying he was forced to go through the loop of vol.7 because of his role gives a rational explanation to his actions , I think this statement completely ignores kazuki's willpower which is inhuman. In other words I'd rather believe he has enormous willpower even though it's unrealistic rather than he was simply forced.

Also isn't assuming that all his actions were forced and not out of will or emotion mean that in the loop of vol7 he would continuously try to break out as "programmed " without failing even once? Where as in the final volume we can clearly see him giving up thousands of time before actually breaking out.

And now I can finally sleep peacefully knowing that the couple will have babies happily and not just because he is her knight.Also was it only difficult for me to imagine the characters as they suddenly shift from kids in the 4th vol to adults in the fifths and then back to kids in the seventh? And where is our wedding picture????

Ah and finally can someone clear up for me why is kokone 16 years old while being in their class? Did I skip sth or is it some sort of mistake? And thank you for reading
Hsn-nrdinOct 28, 2017 10:48 AM
Dec 11, 2017 7:05 AM

Jun 2012
Usually, once something like a happy story-ending it seems to me, at the very back of my wondering thoughts....It derails and degrade it to become a tragedy hopefully. And to a certain degree, I have my utmost trust that it is better to take my subconscious desire to be the real deal.

What I'm getting at is, if my expectations loses to a crushing reality and somehow I can't follow up a strategy to destroy it completely, like why is it that I am so overwhelmed by a fucked up bloody sky and a mellow engagement speech....An overall for this series of 8/10.

Of course it is my biased tainted wish to give this novel 10/10.
Dec 16, 2017 9:24 AM
Apr 2017
i was afraid of tragedy at the end...but i am satystied enough with this
Jan 17, 2018 11:16 AM

Nov 2017
OK so i have not read many light novels to completion because they arent real literature and not worth the time without flashy anime visuals.but i said ok this thing has a 9 on mal ill give it a shot and find out why these nerds like it so much.I Spent the last week captured by the thing such wonderful tight storytelling each char got there time to shine and have a lasting impression on me. The romance between Maria and Kazuki was so well done i felt i could fall for her myself when he was being abused in the classroom i called for Maria with him and there she was, what a girl.This last volume tied everything up so well I have no complaints i only wonder why isnt there an anime?
Jan 26, 2018 10:50 PM
Jan 2018
Can someone share a link where to read Vol 7 please
Feb 6, 2018 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
quickwork said:
OK so i have not read many light novels to completion because they arent real literature and not worth the time without flashy anime visuals.but i said ok this thing has a 9 on mal ill give it a shot and find out why these nerds like it so much.I Spent the last week captured by the thing such wonderful tight storytelling each char got there time to shine and have a lasting impression on me. The romance between Maria and Kazuki was so well done i felt i could fall for her myself when he was being abused in the classroom i called for Maria with him and there she was, what a girl.This last volume tied everything up so well I have no complaints i only wonder why isnt there an anime?

Because it is only popular in the West, more specifically fan-translation community. It sold quite poorly in Japan.
Mar 18, 2018 1:23 AM

Jul 2017
Why was basically every single character's motive related to love one way or the other?
btw everything about the ending was good except 'pure-heart' Yuuri, fucking Yuuri....
Mar 18, 2018 3:37 AM

Jul 2017
If you look at the entire thing from an objective viewpoint, countless people had their lives ruined literally for the sole reason that Maria couldn't accept her sister's death. And the most unlucky guy, Kazuki, had to have his life forever ruined because Maria saw her being nice to some girl and thus gave him the title of "Knight"(Literally had to devote his entire life to her whether he liked it or not). And in the end she managed to marry this guy and basically got away with the least possible repercussions(It was Kazuki who had to go insane).
I have never seen a villain in any anime/manga to get away this easy with almost everything.
Mar 18, 2018 7:30 PM
Oct 2017
This is a masterpiece, and thoroughly peaked my interest through all seven volumes. The ending was great and had just the right amount of emotion, and the whole story was very in depth, covering most of the questions that could be asked about the plot and leaving minimal plot holes. I really wish this would get an anime and it boggles my mind that it is not popular in Japan. 10/10 and favorited for me though.
Mar 22, 2018 3:21 PM

Jan 2016
It's quite astonishing, how is this so good?! I will never re-read Kazuki's despair part ever again because that almost made me puke. By that, I mean that it was so well written that I actually couldn't handle reading about Kazuki's pain.

Maria was chained to her sister and her misunderstood beliefs, I liked it. Of course, it's not something positive but from a 13-year-old perspective, it's realistic. The one you worship passes on her job to you, obviously, she would crumble under that pressure. But most of all Kazuki was amazing in this volume, I was on the verge of tear because of his resolve.

The last part was so sweet, perfection. After that nightmarish read through the majority of the volume, my mind found peace in this kind of an ending.

Mikage, you're a fucking genius!

10/10 I was ready to be disappointed because of the high expectations I had, but boy was I wrong

EDIT: I loved Yuuri's ending, I laughed so much at that. If I want to see a character animated it's definitely Yuuri. Although I don't see this
ever being animated for several reasons
FireFistYKMar 24, 2018 4:42 AM
Apr 5, 2018 7:57 AM

Feb 2009
T.T
I mean story reached satisfactory ending, but still something inside of me scream: "I wanna volume 8! Sequel, pequel, spin-off, side story, alternate story! Just give me more of Maria and Kazuki dammit!!!"

When I read epilogue parts for Kokonoe and Kazuki I had tears in my eyes T.T
I was teary at Marias too but those were happy tears...
Mogi and Haruaki had nice ones to (a lot of hope in it!).
I never liked Yuuri, but I warmed up to her because of her epilogue.

Overall really depressing volume for the most part, with happy ending (but how much pain main cast suffer for this).

When Kazuki goes on his killing spree I was worried for him, but gladly he and Mari are together at the end. And where is some art for the wedding, c'mon Tetsuo-san T.T

Truly a masterpiece, that I randomly found when I was shopping for some LN to ready. I want to thank Mikage for creating this amazing story, Tetsuo for his amazing art, and Waneko for publishing this in polish (all volumes are already released in Poland).

10/10
I'm sure I will re-read this again and again and again and ...
Apr 7, 2018 11:02 AM

Jul 2017
ciastos said:

I never liked Yuuri, but I warmed up to her because of her epilogue.

Yuuri is the true villain of the series
Mar 10, 2019 4:03 PM
Jan 2018
[quote=SteelHard message=52806656]
Freestyle80 said:

Wrong, nowhere in the novel it tells you that he is forced to save her just because he is his knight, that's what he says to himself that he will be her knight and sacrifice anything and everything for her, Maria herself chose him to be her knight after she got close to him, it gave him the power to destroy boxes but it did not force him to change, in fact, NONE of the boxes forced ANYONE to change, it just forced them into certain situation, the only box that comes remotely close to being able to control other people is Daiya's but even that requires him to perform certain actions to control them (step on their shadow) and requires him to pretty much absorb their sin, and we're explained that they can be control with his box, however we're never told anything even remotely close to that from Maria's box despite having knowledge of her box ever since volume 1.

Not only that but following your logic would mean that his fate & the box fate was preordained, are you implying that the box was created with the purpose of eventually no matter what it would end up being destroyed?

None of the boxes had such a fate, they all were destroyed due to external forces not because the box made itself be destroyed, doesn't make sense to me.

Already during volume 1 he showed signs of developing amorous affection towards Maria despiting saying he loved the other girl (whos name I can't remember right now) the signs kept getting stronger and stronger as the volumes kept progressing, just because he doesn't says "I love you" it doesn't mean that he didn't love her, actions are worth more than words.

"And u say willpower? U think it was willpower that made him do that? haha no"
Yes, since the start of volume 1 it's said that Kazuki is very different from most people, that it feels like he's not even human and it's the exact reason why O was interested in him long before he was even Maria's knight, it was even said in volume 4 or 5 that his willpower was not human that he would always reach his goal and would never quit

I wish I could have been a part of this conversation when you guys were having it, but I want to throw my 2 cents in here for anyone reading these comments.

From my understanding Maria's wish manifest itself in two ways. One part was the wish granting Aya Otonashi. This is the part of her that manifested because she truly believed she could grant the wishes of others [you could say this is 99% of her personality at any given point]. The second (latent) part of her wish constituted the knight which crushes wishes and was composed of the part of her that did not believe wishes could come true [this comprised 1% of her personality].

At first there was no way for the knight to manifest itself because Maria did not know anyone that was suitable for the role. But boxes are dynamic and change as the owner changes as a person, and when Maria indirectly learns of how far Kazuki went for Nana without giving up, based on her interactions with Nana yanagi (I don't remember exactly how their interactions went) her box changes form and grants him the "knight" role which manifests itself as an "empty box".

The "knight" role doesn't decide Kazuki's destination - it is more apt to say that it prevents him from giving up. What he is unable to give up on is dependent on what is important to him and that has always been up to Kazuki to decide for himself. It is also important to note that in book 6 Kazuki is shown losing an argument to Iroha Shindou after having Maria walk away from him; he doesn't know what to say and sort of temporarily loses himself and for the first time the "knight" takes over and responds to Iroha in an almost robotic way - all of which implies that the "knight" ability that Kazuki has is also capable of running on what appears to be almost like an autopilot for when Kazuki is too mentally taxed to do anything expressly to prevent him from giving up.

I also think its fair to say that this autopilot ability is exactly what allows Kazuki to remain in a loop in Maria's box despite giving in to the box many times and attempting to forget Maria. The box would only move on if Kazuki lived out his dream life, but his ability won't allow him to give up on Maria out of convenience so Maria's box turns into another 'rejecting classroom'. And after 400000+ repetitions, with Kazuki's mind completely numb to everything the autopilot ability of "knight" was all that was left and its only outlet at that point was to bang on Maria's wall.

So it seems to me, in a way, Maria's box did predetermine where Kazuki would end up but it only gave him the power to fulfill his own hearts desire. If Kazuki never developed genuine feelings for Maria then Kazuki's ability would not have gone so far for her.

But the reason why this light novel is such a work of genius is that it does a great job of balancing the suffering between Maria and Kazuki. Despite seeing Marias backstory we weren't precisely told what it was that made her suffer so much that she could live out 27756 days in the rejecting classroom, yet it is understood how broken she is and how much she hated her past self. For Maria to give up her wish and attempt to love her past self - to prove that she would not feel alone if she accepted herself for who she is rather than the ideal of Aya Otonashi she had to see Kazuki kill himself over and over and over again and stripped of his sanity to the point where Maria could be sure that she would have someone upon bringing her old self back.

Its an amazing philosophical/psychological premise for a book to have because there are actually people who are like that. Everyone has differing degrees of trust and removing the mask from a person who grew up well is typically a lot easier than from someone whose grown up in difficult situations. In Maria's case Eiji Mikage took that to the nth degree and I never thought I'd be so glad to see someone suffer so intensely through 1000 years simply for a chance to see them again. It's as chilling as it is heartwarming and the contrast is really something special.
Aug 11, 2019 12:53 AM

Jun 2015
First and foremost, I curse you Eiji Mikage, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating such work. I also thank Eusth for the translation and all the people included in the project. I know I don't have to feel the pain of waiting and many uncertainties to whether the book is going to be dropped by the author.

What a read... What a fucking read, indeed. This is so fucked up in a very good way. I don't know. All the words and memorable events while reading it is jumbled inside my head and I don't know where to start. The mind boggling twists still left me twisted in many different ways. I experienced a lot of things in it, pleasures and sorrows. I really don't fucking know how to express it, and I really hated it when it happens. But most of the times, it describes how GOOD THE BOOK WAS...!!!!

And now, I have to cope with this huge void left by it, the biggest one I've ever had, wondering how the characters especially Kazuki and Maria deal with their life afterwards, looking at it from a worldview perspective as my little world that I could see at anytime anywhere. But unfortunately, I couldn't. That's why I hate picking up a new book because when I happen to pick up a masterpiece like HakoMari, this kind of void is very hard to deal with. But I also feel an enormous gratitude for a life-like journey I had from it.

In the end..... I curse you Eiji Mikage, I really do, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating such work, again, I really do. Just you know, you have left a mark in this world by creating this book, to at least one single human that is me. I hope for your greatest health and well-being. Thank You. 100/10
Nov 9, 2019 6:26 PM

Sep 2015
I just got finished reading the final volume of this series, which just had its English release by Yen Press a few days ago. Man, the ending was pretty emotional and quite profound. It will likely stick with me for the long term. I really liked the exploration of Maria and the closure of her character arc. Inspecting her character throughout the whole series, Maria was basically Homura Akemi, but a lot more complex and fascinating in the execution of conflict, backstory, and development. Great series overall.

Edit: I have more in-depth thoughts on Volume 7.

BluePikmin11Nov 10, 2019 2:13 PM
May 6, 2020 3:37 AM
Jul 2019
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria is the greatest work of fiction I've ever read and will probably stay like that for a very long time. Truly a masterpiece. I cried when Maria finally reunites with Kazuki and the I always had a smile while reading the epilogue. The writing and the flow of the story is so unique that it's impossible to replicate. It's so interesting that I can't stop reading once I read the first letter and be surprised that time flew by really quickly after finishing one volume. I'll buy the physical copies and re-visit this masterpiece again. If I got asked what series do you want to forget so you can experience it again, it would be this.

10/10.

If there's one thing I didn't like in this light novel. It's that they didn't show the KISS!
SomeGuyWithHairSep 23, 2020 9:02 AM
Jun 11, 2020 7:10 AM

Jul 2017
Finished rereading HakoMari today and it's still the best thing I've ever come across from the Japanese side, and is one of my favorite novel series ever. It borders a fine line with being too edgy and dark, and pushes against those limits by bringing out such an exhausting yet emotional rollercoaster of amazing, refreshing and captivating storytelling with two characters I really admire so much in Kazuki and Maria. The ending really was near perfect for a series like this.

The Boxes while seemingly wishes to help, instead has destroyed a big part of many people's lives who were involved, but the fact that they still try and look on and survive (whoever were alive) with accepting their burdens was really nice to wrap up things. And seeing Maria sincerely grow and care for Kazuki after he was really, really broken himself and even get ready to marry him just made my heart grow three times. Absolutely breathtaking stuff for me. Thank you Edgy, I mean Eiji Mikage!
Apr 22, 2021 11:40 AM

May 2018
Really awesome, the first parts were good and entertaining when they are battling with the boxes and games, but since the start of Volume 5, I started loving the series more, and was surprised how the story became more amazing, ofcourse most importantly is how the characters shines more at this part, really awesome.

Amazing ending, totally shocked how Kazuki became a killing machine, the past and wrong interpretation of Maria, and the epilogue. I totally love this volume from start to finish, my emotions totally changes from time to time while reading this volume.

Tragedy and Romance, Sadness and Happiness, thanks Eiji Mikage for this wonderful series.

Yuuri is the true villain in this series.
EsieEyenApr 22, 2021 11:44 AM

Jun 9, 2021 9:58 PM
Jan 2021
The best fictional story ever made Nothing more to say this the most fantastic I've ever read/watch all and all 10/10 this is easily the most underrated masterpiece ever made......... and if someone is reading this there's actually a fan fiction about this it's the continuation of the wedding scene i really recommend reading it if your still not satisfied here's the link https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12097646/1/Utsuro-no-Hako-to-Zero-no-Maria-Epilogue
Angel_crush1Jun 9, 2021 10:09 PM
Jun 13, 2021 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
oh gee
another example of a series I cant see the immense hype and praise for
yay
Oct 26, 2021 4:07 PM

Apr 2019
First light novel I've ever read, dont regret picking hakomari at all. Mikage Eiji has such a captivating writing style... I wasn't bored a single second. All I can say is wow.

It wasn't perfect, but i never cared for perfection in the first place, 8.5/10

願い事はあるかい?

Nov 19, 2021 1:49 PM

Feb 2020
bro why tf did they have to turn this into 7 books, 1 had a perfect conclusion this didn't need to happen. i refuse to believe the author actually continued the series because he had more ideas, it was definitely fan pressure or something.
i am shoebill
Mar 8, 2022 1:31 PM

Nov 2020
Utterly brilliant. I love Kazuki and Maria and their recovery toward the end got me so emotional. All in all just a phenomenal story with hard hitting themes of confronting your past and moving on. Will reread without a doubt, maybe once I can find volumes 3-5...
Nov 6, 2022 3:10 AM

Jan 2020
Peak fiction incarnate. The best LN series I've read alongside Mushoku Tensei at this point. This volume might just be the best LN volume I've ever read, bar none.

My volume rankings would be, 7>6=5>4>3>1>2

I love how this story was effectively about the toxic relationship of Kazuki and Maria, and how it became more healthy by the end.

Kazuki after his trauma with Yanagi, chose to live a normal, empty life. However, Maria's box influenced him subconsciously to become her knight and savior. This made his life lack agency, even making him willing to kill literally everyone just for Maria's sake. But, this volume proves that even though he's willing to do anything for Maria, a part of him feels tremendous guilt for his actions, so while he is definitely insane in the last 2 volumes, he isn't just defined by his obsession with Maria. His love for her is also not only due to Misbegotten Happiness.

This is emphasized even further in the ending where even after he has destroyed Misbegotten Happiness, he still cares about Maria and still wants to be by her side. This highlights how Kazuki now loves Maria even without the influence of her box, through his own agency. It also shows that Kazuki's connections to other people are just as necessary for him as being with Maria to restore his psyche.

Through this, Kazuki effectively learns that he needs other people just as much as he needs Maria to forgive himself and live happily.

Likewise, Maria finally realized to live for her own sake instead of projecting what she felt was Aya's desires onto herself.

She simply wants to be happy by being with the one she loves. She also desires to take responsibility for indirectly causing Kazuki's eternal suffering by taking care of him forever.

In doing this, she is actively both making herself happy and Kazuki happy. Unlike before where they both were hurting each other everytime they were together.

Kazuki understands that his connection with others is as important as his with Maria's.

Maria understands that she can indulge in her own happiness and Kazuki's, instead of just everyone else's.

I can still go on such as how Daiya and Kokone's relationship contrasts with Kazuki and Maria's, but that would take too long.

Tldr; Hakomari is peak, and it's basically a massively better written version of Mirai Nikki and Charlotte.
Nano201102Nov 6, 2022 3:15 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Volume 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

79 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 24, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Volume 5 Discussion

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

37 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 23, 8:16 AM

» The missing volumes

Perfectrockstar - Jul 4, 2021

4 by EmrysTatari »»
Feb 8, 1:36 PM

» Anime Adaptation possibility?

DarkHumor04 - Jan 11, 2022

14 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Poll: » Y'all think Hakomari is the best LN ever?

kelvin8072 - Jun 30, 2022

9 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.