Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2015 3:36 AM

Nov 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, what a heartwrenching experience.
aikaflipNov 27, 2015 3:23 PM
Jul 29, 2015 5:30 AM

Mar 2015
Great movie.
I really liked how it adapted the story and the great animation and detailed backgrounds were just the icing on the cake.
It's a really emotional watch I'd say and I like how it merely uses WW2 as a setting.It doesn't preach some anti-war stuff or "family is the most important thing in life" nor does it show dehumanization (something that is more than usual for these types of films) to emotionally manipulate the viewers.All it does is showing how Anne had to deal with/confront all this terrible things in her life,giving it a sense of realism not many other anime can even dream of and making it one of the "truest" Slice of Life anime I have ever seen.This is not to say that everything in this anime was "realistic" as I personally think that the relationships felt a bit unexplored.I mean they are having to hide to survive and living together for a really long time and for that the atmosphere was most of the time a tad too....ehm...let's say positive.Sure I bet you can say extreme situations can bring people really closely together,but they didn't show any real conflict.The "romance" between Peter and Anne also felt really weird and the ending was rushed and came a bit out of nowhere.

What surprised me was even though I already knew what was going to happen,some scenes were still really tense.Like the one where they wake up at night and are scared of being found...my hands were sweating lol.

The scene with the cat was also a really nice one,showing how people always act superior and want to get rid of the weaker ones.Highly ironic considering that this is in a way the same issue that lead them into such a miserable situiation.I know it's a different thing but still.

When they showed Operation Neptune and underlined it with some happy sounding music it also kinda showed that even though many people are dying because of that cruelty,some other people are happy because there is hope that they might get saved.I also don't think there was a single line of text for a german soldier and their faces seemed really distant and their eyes were never shown?Really liked how this was done tbh.

Having some background with the content in it myself I think the movie did a fantastic job with what it was going for.I can't even imagine how miserable these people must have felt and how scared they were...but maybe I don't even want to?

Last but not least,Anne was great in it and never even once felt forced on me,something I often have the problem with when it comes to female protagnoists.

I'm really glad Madhouse animated such a great and importat story.Highly tragic and depressing if you think about how all these characters died in the end,especially if you haver been to a KZ.Just disgusting.

8/10
Nov 8, 2015 3:48 AM

Jul 2014
Very well-done movie, the background art was particularly gorgeous. I really liked it.
Nov 15, 2015 9:53 AM

Jun 2013
Great and sad.
Sep 22, 2016 6:30 PM

Jan 2015
Wish it was a bit longer.
Jan 10, 2021 3:26 PM
Apr 2016
What a sad story, i think it was adapted reasonably well, the background art was good but the voice acting was kind of lacking, a good movie overall, 7/10
Apr 3, 2021 7:12 PM
Superior

Apr 2008
If you don't give this a 10/10, I have to assume you're a nazi.
May 20, 2023 9:09 PM

May 2015
I read the reviews after having watched the movie, and I'm very surprised people are "disappointed with the art". I had to stop a couple times just to admire the beautifully painted backgrounds. The characters, although inaccurately designed for the majority of the group, were well proportioned and they moved well. The only think I could complain about is the facial expressions - they were very lackluster!
 But I thought, if it's a Japanese production, then maybe it's a little bit of a difference in how westerners express themselves vs how the Japanese do. And out of respect for such a sensitive subject I think they tried to portray the family as well composed as they could. Idk.

Heartwrenching, regardless. I read about Otto Frank after watching and it made me sob like a child
Aug 12, 2023 1:19 AM
Jul 2021
yersfghdfghjfghs sfg hsfg hsfg hsfg h
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.