Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 6, 2015 5:03 AM

Mar 2011
Dear club member,

Please read 'Section I' of the MAL Site & Forum Guidelines attentively, and make sure you understand them fully. In the club, you are expected to follow these rules, and not doing so may eventually result in a ban from the club. Please make sure to also read and understand the additional details outlined below.

Aside from following the rules, know that you are also expected to contribute to a positive and accepting atmosphere. Be kind and considerate; unnecessary spite and vulgarity are not accepted. Any attempt at provocation, purposefully contributing to a negative atmosphere, or any other display of hostility will result in a warning. Do not bring up subjects you know are controversial, likely to result in heated discussion, or which may be considered offensive or grossly uncomfortable by others; i.e. subjects which are likely to result in fights and insults. Naturally, comments which are racist or otherwise discriminatory or highly offensive in nature are not accepted and may result in a temporary ban without warning.

Every member will have 1 formal warning before a ban is carried out, though minor warnings may be offered for lesser offences when a ban is not imminent. Warnings will be given through MAL personal messages. Every offending member will have a personal file detailing their behaviour which documents their offences. This file will be available to any member themselves upon request, but is otherwise kept private. Know that this document is likely to influence future decisions made by our moderators. Consistently bad behaviour will increase the chances of a ban being enforced, and of an eventual permanent ban happening.

If you think someone breaks a rule, or if they offend or insult you, please don’t take matters in your own hands. Don’t start or continue an argument, instead send a PM to me, Lazhward. Don't hesitate doing so; even minor complaints are worth mentioning, as this will increase our understanding of what our members want. I will be notified, and necessary actions will be taken as soon as possible. There’s no need to ruin the atmosphere for everyone, keep these matters private and let the moderators handle it.

Any complaints or disagreements about/with moderators or their actions should be addressed in our Feedback Thread, for the sake of transparency. Do not discuss these issues in the comment section on the front page however, as to not bother our other members with personal matters.

This protocol is still a work in progress, and this post may need further improvements. Please ask for clarifications or suggest improvements in this thread below or in our Feedback thread linked above.
LazhwardNov 15, 2015 3:36 PM
"The view from the bottom of a well may not be much, but you can see the sky and the stars really well. My world is small, but since I'm looking up at space night after night, you could say I'm a frog on a universal scale. When you gaze up at space all alone like that, the back of your mind goes quiet, and you feel as though you've gained an extraordinary amount of wisdom."
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 6, 2015 5:24 AM

Dec 2013
so basically, i've been a member for like what? a year now?
never had any problems as far as i'm aware of and i don't feel like reading a wall of text. does it matter much if i don't read it?
Jul 6, 2015 5:27 AM

Mar 2011
Please read it so you know what to expect and you're aware of what this means for the club.
"The view from the bottom of a well may not be much, but you can see the sky and the stars really well. My world is small, but since I'm looking up at space night after night, you could say I'm a frog on a universal scale. When you gaze up at space all alone like that, the back of your mind goes quiet, and you feel as though you've gained an extraordinary amount of wisdom."
Jul 6, 2015 5:30 AM

Mar 2010
wen294 said:
so basically, i've been a member for like what? a year now?
never had any problems as far as i'm aware of and i don't feel like reading a wall of text. does it matter much if i don't read it?

Its not that big of a text.. ^^" not like we set up 20 rules lol

It does matter yes would be better if you read it. So you know whats accepted or not tho the line is still vague and it is still under discussion :)
Jul 6, 2015 5:32 AM

Dec 2013
Lazhward said:

unnecessary sarcasm is not accepted. Any attempt at provocation will result in a warning. Do not bring up subjects you know are controversial, likely to result in disagreement or heated discussion.

:(
but that's basically what i always do...
Jul 6, 2015 5:33 AM

Nov 2012
Wen you'll be fine as long as you don't disagree with the management.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 6, 2015 5:34 AM

Nov 2012
wen294 said:
Lazhward said:

unnecessary sarcasm is not accepted. Any attempt at provocation will result in a warning. Do not bring up subjects you know are controversial, likely to result in disagreement or heated discussion.

If you want to be an individual I guess you better head over to /b/
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 6, 2015 5:39 AM

Mar 2011
Please keep this thread on topic.
Jul 6, 2015 5:42 AM

Dec 2013
Lazhward said:
Please keep this thread on topic.

but now i still don't know what /b/ means :(

but seriously, the things i quoted are things i do a lot. i've never received a warning for it anywhere i went tho. should i assume i'm offending at an acceptable level or that everybody is too lazy to complain to me or something?
Jul 6, 2015 5:43 AM

Mar 2011
wen294 said:
Lazhward said:

Know that by 'sarcasm' I'm referring to "A sharp form of humor, intended to hurt, that is marked by mocking with irony." Sarcasm is not itself irony, which is fine, but maybe the wording is somewhat archaic. Don't know a better word for it though.

no_good_name said:
Wen you'll be fine as long as you don't disagree with the management.
There is no such rule, disagreements are fine just don't start a fight over it. Agree to disagree and don't bother the other members with it.
Jul 6, 2015 5:49 AM

Dec 2013
hmm that's not exactly what i think sarcasm is.
for example if somebody asks you if you like it and you reply with something like "i like it so much i'd kill for it" while you're talking about pink hamburgers on soaked bread or something.
irony is more like when you're talking about how good you can do something and then 1 moment later you completly fail at that thing.

or at least that's what i think what's what.

i do understand what you mean you don't want but i don't think it's sarcasm. sarcasm is a pretty common and non-hurtful kind of humor.
Jul 6, 2015 5:49 AM

Mar 2011
wen294 said:
but seriously, the things i quoted are things i do a lot. i've never received a warning for it anywhere i went tho. should i assume i'm offending at an acceptable level or that everybody is too lazy to complain to me or something?

I don't think you do any of those things, maybe it's worded poorly. Can you say what it is exactly that you think those things mean?
Jul 6, 2015 5:52 AM

Mar 2011
I would consider that irony, sarcasm is something which insults or attacks someone else for humorous effect. But I'll think about wording it differently.
Jul 6, 2015 5:53 AM

Dec 2013
Lazhward said:
wen294 said:

I don't think you do any of those things, maybe it's worded poorly. Can you say what it is exactly that you think those things mean?

take for example another club where i know there's a guy who is a big fan of SAO while i think it's not very good. after i watched something i sometimes reply with things like "well, it's still better than SAO" because i know he'll get somewhat pissed. exchange a few sentences which often contains the words "your taste sucks" and then drop the topic. stuff like that is what i often do. i do try to drop the topic after not too long, not get too personal and i only do that to members i know decently.
i guess whenever tthammy posts is an example as well about the sarcasm part.
Jul 6, 2015 6:00 AM

Mar 2011
Doing something like that will be noted and weigh in on future decisions. Saying something for the sole purpose of provoking someone else is not friendly behaviour.
However, these things will of course still be taken on a case-by-case basis. If you know him well and it's more of a continuing joke, whatever. But don't let it escalate to the point at which it bothers other members and someone actually gets hurt or angry. If I think that point is being reached, you'll get a PM with a warning. If you think that belief is not justified you're of course free to reply and explain it to me. No one will be banned by me without previous warning, and I'm not going to be unreasonable in employing these rules. See them more as a guideline, not a strict law.
Jul 6, 2015 6:03 AM

Dec 2013
well fine with me, i'm just doing it for my own fun but i don't intend to hurt anybody with it. If people do get angry do notify me. (that's also the reason why i don't go personal and drop topics quickly when i see people get angry)

that said i do think some people just have a short fuse. in cases like that i don't think i'm the only one who should change their behaviour but that person should be a bit more accepting as well.
Jul 6, 2015 6:10 AM

Mar 2011
It works both ways, everyone needs to put in some effort. Just be nice ;)
Jul 6, 2015 6:16 AM

Mar 2010
wen294 said:
well fine with me, i'm just doing it for my own fun but i don't intend to hurt anybody with it. If people do get angry do notify me. (that's also the reason why i don't go personal and drop topics quickly when i see people get angry)

that said i do think some people just have a short fuse. in cases like that i don't think i'm the only one who should change their behaviour but that person should be a bit more accepting as well.

Yeah I also try to accept as mich as I can and let it go on and on.
Tho the case with joey and no_good have been going on for a longer period of time and after a while.. Yeah :) but I know I can be easily hurt thats why I dont immediatly take rash actions either I just say how i feel about the matter and someone can do something with it or ignore it..
Jul 6, 2015 8:33 AM

Jan 2015
These rules don't bother me too much, though it's kinda sad that we have to formally recognize these rules. :(

Naturally I have a few concerns:

Aside from following the rules, know that you are also expected to contribute to a positive and accepting atmosphere. Be kind and considerate; unnecessary sarcasm and vulgarity are not accepted.

What constitute as "unnecessary sarcasm"? This is a vague description.

Do not bring up subjects you know are controversial, likely to result in disagreement or heated discussion, or which may be considered offensive or grossly uncomfortable by others.

I'm sure there are many subjects, controversial or not, that will incite some disagreements or debates. I think some of these discussions are very healthy, but when does it become considered "offesnive or grossly uncomfortable by others"?
Jul 6, 2015 8:56 AM

Dec 2013
danielpham said:
These rules don't bother me too much, though it's kinda sad that we have to formally recognize these rules. :(

Naturally I have a few concerns:

Aside from following the rules, know that you are also expected to contribute to a positive and accepting atmosphere. Be kind and considerate; unnecessary sarcasm and vulgarity are not accepted.

Do not bring up subjects you know are controversial, likely to result in disagreement or heated discussion, or which may be considered offensive or grossly uncomfortable by others.

I'm sure there are many subjects, controversial or not, that will incite some disagreements or debates. I think some of these discussions are very healthy, but when does it become considered "offesnive or grossly uncomfortable by others"?

as for the sarcasm that's somewhat answered in the comments above yours. "A mocking kind of humor intended to hurt". simple sarcasm is okey (it seems (luckily)) but you should purposely try to hurt others with your jokes is pretty much what it means.

as for the discussions, first of all you're new here so you won't know some of the older discussions but if you know that a certain subject will bring up a long discussions that won't end up anywhere where it's likely that people end up being rash and say not so nice things you're supposed to avoid them.
same with basic things like putting on a discussion about how awesome hitler is or something. follow common sense and you can avoid most problems. some others are just impossible to know and you find out at a later point in time and after that you just gotta remember to not bring up that topic too lively again.
Jul 6, 2015 10:43 AM

Mar 2011
danielpham said:

The descriptions are vague because it's impossible to quantify bad behaviour. As I said previously, consider them guidelines more than anything. And like wen said, 'sarcasm' I regard as mean and spiteful humour. I'll have to change this since it seems to cause some misunderstanding, seeing as how sarcasm is already a pretty contentious word.

danielpham said:

Some disagreement or debate is fine, I was not implying that discussions be eradicated. I'm more talking about extremes: don't discuss the holocaust or your rape-fantasies, it's just bound to end in disaster. If you have to wonder whether it's offensive, it probably isn't.

Crazy_Cofee_Cat said:

You can't disagree with something, you can't argue back, you can't go into heated discussion (heated not in way that you start insulting each other of course) then what the hell are you supposed to do? pretend that you like general idea submitted in the club? is that not just indulging in circlejerk just so you can keep pretending that everything is good?

You can't disagree with something, you can't argue back

I don't know how you inferred that from that sentence, of course you can just disagree or argue back as long as you just make sure to do it respectfully.
With heated discussion I was in fact referring to discussions which end in insult and personal attacks, I'll change the wording on that as well.
Jul 7, 2015 1:14 AM

Dec 2013
Lazhward said:
don't discuss your rape-fantasies, it's just bound to end in disaster.

aw, those topics can sometimes end in a pretty hilarious conversation xD
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Claim your tsundere here! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Gyarutsundere - Nov 30, 2011

668 by removed-user »»
Nov 18, 2021 1:46 AM

Sticky: » admins needed for designing and cards!

Gyarutsundere - Dec 1, 2011

38 by Gyarutsundere »»
Nov 14, 2021 6:42 AM

Sticky: » Claimed tsundere list

Gyarutsundere - Nov 30, 2011

20 by Gyarutsundere »»
Jan 16, 2017 5:42 AM

» Joeys Card Delivery

joey101937 - Sep 26, 2015

3 by joey101937 »»
Jan 15, 2017 3:04 PM

» introduction

Gyarutsundere - Dec 19, 2011

18 by caninesrock »»
Nov 18, 2016 7:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.