Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2015 2:14 PM

Oct 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Quite surprised to not see a topic of the grand finale.

I must say - the manga was brilliant. The story, the art, the characters - even in our days one can only be awed by such a classical masterpiece.

It's one of those classics which don't age - the art is great, it has specific style, but it's very clean and you can understand every small detail you see(although it's not too detailed).
It's usually a problem with old manga to understand what actually happens due to worse quality, but this is totally not a problem in Ashita no Joe. I can see someone not liking the style of art itself, but it's realy a matter of taste there.

Story is very emotional - we see highs and lows of Joe's life, who started from zero and going all the way to the world rankings of boxing, seeing all the hardships he has to face and never faltering, always sticking stubbornly to the way he is.

The story just drags you in and doesn't let go until you are actually finished reading.

The only one big flaw I had is - the low amount of matches Joe made through his pro boxing life up to world rankings. It's not like you can't get up to world rankings fast, it's just that Joe did it WAY too fast, especially his amount of losses would make his score seem so so, since he didn't have many matches to begin with. This could be filled with some time skip, but I can see author's reasons not to as well- it's about Joe's personality who rushes towards his goal and author's way of making a perfectly linear story. You can barely see any flashbacks or time skips - the story flows so smoothly that you can barely even notice you are reading next volume already.

Now for the ending - simply brilliant way to end it, last chapter was both packed in action and nostalgia of Joe's past(I have realy been waiting for him to use some of his old techniques, realy glad author didn't just drop it off)
At the same time we had a conclusion of a battle that sure gave most of us a strong heartbeat.

I can certainly see people hate the ending if they like happy end's, but as for me - that's the best outcome I could ever hope for.
The moment author captured for the final page is spot on - I guess Joe was happy in his last moments, he burned his spirit until not even ashes remained and fulfilled his dream.

Quoting Faust - 'stay, thou art so beautiful', it's as if Joe calls the devil himself to take him at the moment he longed for.

Ashita no Joe - a classic amongst classics, a must read sport genre manga which paved the road to many popular titles, Hajime no Ippo included.

It's rare for me to tell it - but it's a must read despite your tastes, it won't let you disappointed for sure.

It's not without it's own flaws, as I mentioned, but I stopped struggling and gave it a 10 - not only it's a classic, which is older than most of the manga readers here - it's also a great read even today, which can't be told about many manga's from 80's and lower due to variety of reasons. Ending easily tipped the scales in favour of giving it a 10/10.
Oct 28, 2015 10:05 AM

Mar 2013
I finally completed Joe and I understand why this manga is a classic. The art is simple and beautiful, the story is interesting.
The last fight was incredible and I think that the ending, although it is a little sad, is perfect like that.
RIP Yabuki Joe
Jan 7, 2016 8:08 AM

Mar 2015
Redmyr said:
I finally completed Joe and I understand why this manga is a classic. The art is simple and beautiful, the story is interesting.
The last fight was incredible and I think that the ending, although it is a little sad, is perfect like that.
RIP Yabuki Joe

I think the ending is meant to be ambiguous, he might not have died. Note that Joe is facing the left on the last page the way you would normally read manga. The point is that Joe was always looking forward, he's Tomorrow's Joe!
Jun 9, 2016 11:40 AM

Oct 2012
I remember Joe ;_;
Jul 13, 2016 1:50 PM

Apr 2012
Hentaicheg said:

Now for the ending - simply brilliant way to end it, last chapter was both packed in action and nostalgia of Joe's past(I have realy been waiting for him to use some of his old techniques, realy glad author didn't just drop it off)
At the same time we had a conclusion of a battle that sure gave most of us a strong heartbeat.

I can certainly see people hate the ending if they like happy end's, but as for me - that's the best outcome I could ever hope for.
The moment author captured for the final page is spot on - I guess Joe was happy in his last moments, he burned his spirit until not even ashes remained and fulfilled his dream.

Oh I disagree with this. I just finished reading and the ending dissapointed me. Not because of what happened (since I already predicted it would happen after the Rikishi thing) but -how- it ended.
I felt like the two last fights were terrible in comparison with Rikishi and Carlos. While I get that Joe feeling "meh" during the last arc was done intentionally by the author, I think that carried on too much, and, IMO, carried on until the very last page which felt underwhelming. I never saw him truly leaving that state.
Still, I can't disagree with it being a pretty good manga.
Jul 19, 2016 5:04 PM

Jul 2013
Hentaicheg said:

Oh I disagree with this. I just finished reading and the ending dissapointed me. Not because of what happened (since I already predicted it would happen after the Rikishi thing) but -how- it ended.
I felt like the two last fights were terrible in comparison with Rikishi and Carlos. While I get that Joe feeling "meh" during the last arc was done intentionally by the author, I think that carried on too much, and, IMO, carried on until the very last page which felt underwhelming. I never saw him truly leaving that state.
Still, I can't disagree with it being a pretty good manga.

I agree that the Harimau fight was kind of shit, but I really did like the Mendoza fight a lot. Although I think the fights themselves were never the strong point of Ashita no Joe in the first place, given that the things I always love about the series are the character moments inbetween each fight, which is part of the reason I prefer the anime adaptations a bit more since they expand on those portions of the story so much (Thank you based Dezaki god).

But even so, I think the final fight does a great job at characterizing Jose Mendoza who we only really knew was a high-strung family man who leans a little on the racist side given that he insults Joe by calling him a "Yellow Sheep". But in this fight we see his compassion towards his opponents (Who he no doubt most likely kills a lot of given how strong he is) when he tries to call off the fight after noticing Joe's condition and we also see how much he's afraid of being hurt in the ring since he has a family to return to. Both of these I feel end up making Joe's dismantling of him a little heartbreaking. Watching Joe struggle against Mendoza also hurt given the desperation of the entire fight, although I kind of wish there was a bit more to it than that, which the anime delivered for me by giving a little more story to what exactly was going to down in Joe's mind during the fight.
May 22, 2017 12:30 AM

Nov 2010
Wow, this was great. Really enjoyed it.

My favourite part was the beginning and everything at juvie. But all of the opponents and fights after it were still great. The only one I didn't like was Harimau, he just felt to cartoony and unrealistic. I did like the whole last fight against Mendoza and it was a great ending that did fit with the rest of the story. Joe's flashback conversation with Noriko also enhanced it.

However, I really didn't like how the female characters were written, with Yoko being the best example.There was really no need for her to be in love with Joe, and her big moment was just cheering him on.

Overall, it was a great experience and it's easy to see how this is considered a classic.
Jul 19, 2017 10:34 PM
Mar 2017
Fantalicious said:
However, I really didn't like how the female characters were written, with Yoko being the best example.There was really no need for her to be in love with Joe, and her big moment was just cheering him on.

What is the problem with Yoko? Given the subtle developments from very early on, it is sort of natural that it happens in the end. That makes her cheering more dramatic (seeing the man she loves fighting towards his possible end).
Jul 19, 2017 11:00 PM
Mar 2017
rockmandude said:
I think the ending is meant to be ambiguous, he might not have died. Note that Joe is facing the left on the last page the way you would normally read manga. The point is that Joe was always looking forward, he's Tomorrow's Joe!

Yes, the illustrator Chiba never answer to that kind of question, so it is intentionally left ambiguous. And I think it is best left ambiguous, so that everyone can come up with their own version of "tomorrow". What we can be sure of is Joe is happy about whatever that tomorrow is, because he has no regret on burning all he has to pure white ash today.

In fact, the original plan by the story author Kajiwara did give a "tomorrow" (from Chiba's official site). Well, it is rather plain compared to the actual epic ending, so Chiba rejected that unexpectedly. It is sort of understandable, since it is a shounen manga afterall. The story is full of tragedies, so the author envisioned a more positive ending.
ManganaticJul 19, 2017 11:13 PM
Jul 20, 2017 6:58 AM

Nov 2010
Manganatic said:
Fantalicious said:

What is the problem with Yoko? Given the subtle developments from very early on, it is sort of natural that it happens in the end. That makes her cheering more dramatic (seeing the man she loves fighting towards his possible end).

Having a female antagonist fall in love with the main character is an old cliché. It completely undermines her character that her arc is all about Joe and her feelings for him. And as I said, her big moment in the story is just cheering for Joe, so once again, it's all about him. She could have been an interesting character in her own right and done something that actually mattered in the end, but the story doesn't let her.
Jul 20, 2017 1:20 PM
Mar 2017
Fantalicious said:
Having a female antagonist fall in love with the main character is an old cliché. It completely undermines her character that her arc is all about Joe and her feelings for him. And as I said, her big moment in the story is just cheering for Joe, so once again, it's all about him. She could have been an interesting character in her own right and done something that actually mattered in the end, but the story doesn't let her.

Well, it's a matter of opinion, I don't consider her a typical antagonist. Joe was antagonistic towards her in the beginning because of her "rich bitch" appearance. I believe that she only appeared that way because she never encountered someone like Joe, and the story is all about how Joe's character and Joe's boxing changed that. I think she started to take interest in Joe ever since the boxing match in Juvie which was only their third encounter (in the manga). Afterwards, she made excuses for all her actions hiding her real thoughts, and these caused their later conflicts. Therefore, I wouldn't say she's an antagonist for most of the story.

If she is a supporter behind the scene and even evolved close to obsession in the later story, I think it is inevitable that she would fall in love. That said, her falling in love is only a side product which adds more drama.

A side point is that at least in the manga world, I don't think it should be called cliché. Afterall, it is almost 50 years old, and they can't envision that 30, 40 years later, there would be so many "rich bitch" harem main heroines, etc. Of course, this is not an important point to this discussion.
Jul 22, 2017 12:22 PM

Nov 2010
Manganatic said:
Fantalicious said:

Well, it's a matter of opinion, I don't consider her a typical antagonist. Joe was antagonistic towards her in the beginning because of her "rich bitch" appearance. I believe that she only appeared that way because she never encountered someone like Joe, and the story is all about how Joe's character and Joe's boxing changed that. I think she started to take interest in Joe ever since the boxing match in Juvie which was only their third encounter (in the manga). Afterwards, she made excuses for all her actions hiding her real thoughts, and these caused their later conflicts. Therefore, I wouldn't say she's an antagonist for most of the story.

If she is a supporter behind the scene and even evolved close to obsession in the later story, I think it is inevitable that she would fall in love. That said, her falling in love is only a side product which adds more drama.

A side point is that at least in the manga world, I don't think it should be called cliché. Afterall, it is almost 50 years old, and they can't envision that 30, 40 years later, there would be so many "rich bitch" harem main heroines, etc. Of course, this is not an important point to this discussion.

Yes, as you said, it is a matter of opinion. I don't really disagree with anything you just said, it's just that I don't like the way it was written in the story, whilst you do. I would however say that she acts as an antagonist even after she probably has fallen for him, but she definitely isn't a typical antagonist.
Aug 20, 2017 3:10 AM

Feb 2013
So I finally finished this "must to read" manga and im quite...dissapointed?

So i know what Ashita no Joe made to the industry of manga, I know it inspired many manga artist but im not gonna try to say it doesnt deserve his fame im just gonna say why im dissapointed as in my opinion

First theres a little thing that kindda piss me off and is how Joe starts to gain weight and he starts a really hard diet to almost dehidrating himself he barely passes the test, after the fight theres no more mention of his weight, he is fine again not worrying about dieting or whatever and its like ¿?¿? but ok thats not why im dissapointed its just something i found silly

What im dissapointed is that people sold me this manga saying it was more about characters than boxing, seeing Joe develop but after finishing i ask, in what aspect does Joe develop? because he is the same since the beginning to the end, sure as a boxer he is more "mature" but as a person? He still treats his manager like shit (Something i was hoping by the end he showed some kind of respect) and the girl always with mysogynist coments and my favorite quote "You deserve some beating" i mean???? I know its a 60's manga but wow Joe must be the "Hero" yet i couldnt bring to have some affection for him, he didnt develop at all as a person....Appart from that, i enjoyed it and love the end though sadly i didnt feel sad at all.

Nov 25, 2017 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty interesting and enjoyable manga, not without its flaws but it has quite a few peaks that very few manga manages to do, and does an excellent job at that, I can see how it had served as an source of inspiration for many manga through the ages.

First of all let's get to its strength, Ashita no Joe excels at showing the realistic struggles, ups and down of the lives. It's like a journey, where you witness Joe's highs and lows of the career, and feel inspired from it. Interesting to note that Joe's wild personality remained more or less throughout the manga, he doesn't understand woman, and his straightforward nature remained the same, shutting up and throwing out Tange as usual or any other reporters but what makes the difference is how an aimless guy with no goal could care about the friendship on the ring and set his whole life for it, and find a place to return and play with the children. Personally I think he is quite an interesting character, despite having some features features of your usual shounen mc, perhaps because it's in the realistic way he is written.

For the characters, I think maybe because it's solely about Joe's journey, some characters suffered in that regard, like Nishi, Noriko and I thought Tange's character was a bit wasted too since towards the end he was mainly used as a comic relief and "showing surprise" guy. Perhaps it's because Yoko was so involved in Yabuki's fate, she had her fair share of development. However what impressed me the most is the character rivalries and the dynamics between them, especially Rikishi and Carlos, I loved how the author paired a new character trait for every major fight of Yabuki.

About the fights I loved all of them more or less but had some nitpicks, like with that guy from Malaysia had less flairs to it compared to the previous ones(still an interesting contrast) and Joe's tenacity card was used a bit too many times towards the end for dramatic development. Fight with Carlos could have taken a bit less chapters while I wished to see more of Mendoza as a character but these are minor personal nitpicks.

The art despite being so old is quite great imo, perfectly manages to show the intensity of the fights and the emotions.

All in all Ashita no Joe was a great read with a fantastic ending to remember, 9/10.
Jan 1, 2018 10:05 AM

Feb 2015
I really loved this manga.

The only things I didn't really like what this Harimau guy, his abilites felt to unrealistic for this manga and overall his "personality" was too over the top.
Apr 13, 2018 2:04 PM

Jul 2016
'And so,

he fell as he lived, in the battlefield.

Fighting for what he lived for,

which was death'

This manga is a well-deserved classic, in fact, it may be the best I've ever read. It almost has everything I could wish for and I've been able to read 'between the lines' throughout most of the comic book, seeing its themes, characters, structure etc.

Tl;dr Automatic and round 10/10

That said, Harimau should have been introduced earlier in the manga, I agree with the guy above, he seems too weird for this story. Besides, what was with Joe 'recovering his savagery'? It's not like he used it much during the last fight, he just held on to himself like he always has.

But I can omit that, this wonderful story deserves it to be that way.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Dec 22, 2019 11:24 PM

Aug 2017
"And when it's over, only white ashes remain."

Joe you will live in my heart forever.
Jan 1, 2020 4:02 PM

Apr 2016
The last volume is one of the most intense things I've ever read or seen. This series is truly amazing, I'd say it’s a masterpiece, I loved it from the start to the end.
Jan 16, 2022 9:22 AM
Nov 2018
Joe won (my heart)
Jan 20, 2022 8:05 AM

Jan 2016
even tho I found flaws in the manga I am crying rn at this ending it was undoubtedly beautiful. Thank you Joe.
Jan 29, 2022 2:00 PM

May 2019
wow.

this was amazing, an epic tale concluded.

Honestly Joe's death is very heartbreaking, though he did have a good conclusion, he was able to burn all those white ashes. the GOAT tragic hero, his character journey throughout was great too

IMO i have the carlos arc at #1 of the series, wolf at #2, and Rikiishi at #3. (mendoza at #4)

one of my favorite manga now
Feb 13, 2022 6:38 PM
Dec 2020
Uma obra de arte! É muito impactante o final. Joe Yabuki é o melhor šŸ„Š
Aug 16, 2022 6:58 PM
May 2022
The manliest manga I ever read.
ElectricBearAug 16, 2022 7:05 PM
Aug 19, 2022 1:08 AM
Jun 2022
One of the best endings in manga
Sep 18, 2022 2:39 AM

Jul 2009
I dont know, i didnt liked the ending. It was painful to read it. Its almost gore to see he destructing himself cause the author wanted. Joe has a really unrealistic personality. No ones knows about his past, parents, and the author never said anything about it. He losing the fight was obvious since he was punched much more than medonza, but medonza wining was horrible, i wish he had a plan for destroying medonza, that dementia thing was not a good idea in my opinion, also Joe obsession with being a Bantamweight(thats the name?) it was really bad, he should accepted his fate and went to Lightweight(59.0–61.2 kg). That made my unlike Joe even more, how can he be so dumb? How the hell he cant see that Rikishi being underweight was a mistake, and learning from his friend's mistakes?
And for me at least, makes zero sense for he having zero interest in girls, since he was a teenager(in this universe teenagers can fight boxe on world ranking, yeah), and his hormones should be working.
another thing that made my angry, was no one realizing even judges, about Carlos using his elbows on his fight??? Carlos was the reason that Joe began to be brain damaged.
I would believe this bullshit if in the universe of Ashita no Joe, there were no slow motion replays, but they exist. And the author really wants me to believe that it would be possible for him to cheat like that?
I understand why few people talk about ashita no joe, the fights are good but the protagonist is an asshole, misogynist, troglodyte and unlikable most of the time. and the plot is incoherent in its second part.
6/10 cause the ending was unsatisfying
Sep 14, 2023 10:42 AM
Jun 2020
a melhor conclusao da historia
Dec 3, 2023 1:04 AM

Oct 2014
Weird time for a nap Joe :')

More topics from this board

» Official English Edition Announced by Kodansha

ItzElite - Feb 22

5 by DioBrando_69420 »»
Mar 25, 3:11 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Chapter 5 Discussion

Komlan_6 - Jan 30, 2021

2 by ZaToSisCloCk »»
Apr 4, 2023 12:31 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Chapter 4 Discussion

Komlan_6 - Jan 30, 2021

2 by ZaToSisCloCk »»
Apr 3, 2023 10:29 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Chapter 1 Discussion

Madara22 - Apr 23, 2016

2 by ZaToSisCloCk »»
Apr 2, 2023 1:25 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Chapter 51 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Apr 11, 2018

1 by zelfron12 »»
Nov 26, 2022 5:36 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.