Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 10, 2015 1:46 PM

Jan 2015
Why is this rated 7.36? This anime was great and unique.
Popular anime = More haters?
I didn't see nothing wrong with this anime. This is Hilarious
XenocrisiJun 20, 2015 10:29 AM
Jun 15, 2015 8:10 PM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
^ Seriously. Nothing was wrong with this anime and I thought it was a masterpiece honestly. And I never read the manga to it. But thought it was a great anime while it aired.
Jun 25, 2015 4:38 AM

Oct 2014
It's not something everyone likes
Your answer is simple as that.
Jun 25, 2015 5:12 AM

May 2009
Looks like a fair rating to me. Sure, I loved it, and rated it much higher, but that's mostly because I genuinely connected with Tomoko and could easily see past some of the flaws that were there.

Also, keep in mind that a cringe comedy is not an easy thing to watch, especially not if it reminds you of yourself, either present or past. And some people couldn't understand Tomoko's problems and rated the show low as a result.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2015 6:04 AM
May 2010
People just don't get the sense of humor, taking themselves too seriously. I thought the exaggerated humor is hilarious. Slapstick is not for everyone, so some people with a more 'high-browed' opinion would consider it garbage or trash.
Jul 12, 2015 1:20 AM

Jul 2015
Numbers are for scrubs.
Jul 12, 2015 1:23 AM

Jul 2012
It's nothing special at the end of the day.
Jul 15, 2015 12:05 AM

Jul 2015
mayukachan said:

I mean It kinda is, nothing has really done what watamote has explored. IF you know any other, please share, I would love to watch it.

(blatant curse word that starts with" f"), I would take watamote over any katana wielding edge lord any day.
Jul 15, 2015 8:05 PM

Jun 2013
mayukachan said:

I completley disagree, there arent many animes like this one, if any. Extremley unique anime and an amazing one
Jul 15, 2015 8:08 PM

Jul 2011
The score seems fine to me.
Jul 18, 2015 1:24 PM

May 2012
They don't get it.
Jul 20, 2015 12:26 PM

Oct 2014
too many normalfags

this anime is a masterpiece and the most realistic SOL and school anime there is. where things just don't "magically happen to turn your life around"

mayukachan said:

you're an idiot

Cradily said:
It was good, but there was barely any character development and it feels like nothing actually happened, because everything is still the same for Tomoko.

another idiot.

there was a HUGE character development. idiots like yourself are too simple-minded to understand. at the final episode, at the very end, she laughs at "unpopulass" meaning she gave up and finally accepted herself and her situation, then she happily heads down for dinner.

it's realistic. for people like tomoko, everything is always the same. i know at my highschool and elementary school i had no friends the entire time and was always the social outcast, never had any fun, never went out. always skipped school when we had to partner up, faked being sick, etc. normalfags will never understand.
AoiYuukiHusbandoJul 20, 2015 12:32 PM
Jul 21, 2015 10:53 PM

Jul 2015
/a/ much?
Jul 21, 2015 10:55 PM

Jan 2011
I could have sworn this was rated 8 something last time I checked.
Aug 5, 2015 8:27 AM

Jan 2015
ReaperCreeper said:

no lol
Aug 5, 2015 8:29 AM

Jul 2014
ReaperCreeper said:

Me too lol.

If I had to guess it's probably the cringe, I've never felt that amount of cringe from watching anime before as with this show.
Aug 5, 2015 8:31 AM

Dec 2012
Because this anime seemed to have a sense of progression, but in the end absolutely nothing improved about the MC. Not one thing.

Comedy grow thin very quick and also the ending was pathetic.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Aug 19, 2015 7:37 PM

Sep 2013
I can see how this series might rub some people the wrong way. I find it highly successful in achieving its purpose, but its purpose is perhaps not to the taste of a number of viewers. This series does a fine job of exploring the inner workings of a hopeless social misfit. Perhaps for those of us who have either been like Tomoko at some point in life, or for those who have dealt closely and frequently with such people, this series has some resonance. In my case, both conditions apply. When I was young, I was like Tomoko in many ways - utterly socially inept and reclusive. However, I managed to find a small group of misfit friends, so things weren't quite so bad. Although I eventually got over it and can now handle myself quite well in social situations, I still feel like a social misfit dwells at the core of my personality and is apt to reemerge at any time. Later in life, after gaining control over my own problems, I found myself dealing with other people who had similar issues, and having once been much like them, I tried to befriend them and help them with their issues, but I found that some were simply beyond hope, and spending time with them was emotionally and physically draining. Tomoko reminds me of these people; anyone who gets too close to her is bound to be dragged down. Since the series focuses so strongly on her thoughts, primarily by way of interior monologues and fantasies, a viewer is bound to be drawn closely to her and become frustrated. The comic exaggeration present throughout the series renders her more approachable, however, and helps to dispel some of that frustration. If presented as a completely serious dramatic series, this show would truly be too painful to watch no matter how well constructed. I think a viewer's response to this series might depend on this balance between the dark comedy, the painfully embarrassing situations, and the frustrating inability of this character to find a way out of her terrible situation. Therefore, I might expect a wider distribution of scores for this series than for some others. For me, it works, and it works fantastically well, but something like this simply isn't going to work for everybody.

I can see that one major source of frustration for some viewers is that Tomoko never gets anywhere, and there is seldom any indication that she will (although the OVA seems to present some faint rays of hope). In reality, people like this often remain trapped in their doldrums for years on end, and some never emerge. In my case, the doldrums of social incompetence lasted through most of the first seventeen years of my life, albeit moderated somewhat after I entered middle school. This sense of hopelessness is depicted well here, albeit lightened a bit by the comic elements. Yes, it is a frustrating series to watch, but the series is depicting a character whose life is a never ending series of missed opportunities, dashed hopes, and painful embarrassments, so viewing it is supposed to be frustrating. If you want to tear your hair out, punch your computer monitor, and cringe like you have never cringed before, then this series has successfully achieved its purpose.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Jan 21, 2018 2:39 PM
Dec 2017
Xenocrisi said:
Why is this rated 7.36?

It isn't. It now stands at just 7.24 on MAL, based on 178 thousand votes... How the hell is that possible for an outright cult piece? Tomoko is life, she's best waifu, she should have a figure eight and get a second cour.
Jan 21, 2018 2:45 PM
Jul 2018
It's not a bad anime at all, but it wasn't my favorite. The manga is SO much better. I'll give the anime credit where credit is due. The animation is nice, and I fuckin love the opening. Plus I think they do some neat things with the visuals. But while it was enjoyable to me, it wasn't particularly stand out in any way.

To me, the manga is not only funnier. But Tomoko is more likable. She learns from her mistakes and grows as a character. On top of that, there are more characters in the manga. More characters means more people for Tomoko to interact with means more possible stories and jokes. (It actually makes me really happy to see Tomoko making friends. It's a nice feeling after watching the anime.)
Feb 8, 2018 1:27 AM

Aug 2016
RealmOMFG said:
It's not a bad anime at all, but it wasn't my favorite. The manga is SO much better. I'll give the anime credit where credit is due. The animation is nice, and I fuckin love the opening. Plus I think they do some neat things with the visuals. But while it was enjoyable to me, it wasn't particularly stand out in any way.

To me, the manga is not only funnier. But Tomoko is more likable. She learns from her mistakes and grows as a character. On top of that, there are more characters in the manga. More characters means more people for Tomoko to interact with means more possible stories and jokes. (It actually makes me really happy to see Tomoko making friends. It's a nice feeling after watching the anime.)

A preson like Tomoko couldn't make friends, i know it cause i almost like her except i am a male. So in this condition anime remains more natural.
Mar 12, 2018 10:32 AM

Aug 2008
I can understand how this anime is under-rated; now that I see that it's "cringe-worthy."
I didn't really cringe as much actually. In fact, I found it hilarious. I saw a lot of myself in Tomoko. Her mindset and train of thought is spot-on with mine. I give the anime a 9.

And to the people that say it didn't go anywhere. Guys. It's under the genre "Slice of Life" for a reason. Not all stories come in a nicely packaged ending. The fact that it doesn't have much of an ending is a great indication of reality.

Think I'll read the manga.
Mar 16, 2018 8:51 AM

Dec 2017
bolei_cha said:

And to the people that say it didn't go anywhere. Guys. It's under the genre "Slice of Life" for a reason. Not all stories come in a nicely packaged ending. The fact that it doesn't have much of an ending is a great indication of reality.

you have my support, mate. this is absolutely right and i really wish people would finally get it, 'cause it seems they either ignore the tags or try to find an ending in everything. there's a definition of "open ending", which people don't seem to know about

More topics from this board

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.