Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 9, 2018 2:49 PM
Jan 2018
Soichiro should've wrote down Mello's real name down in the Death Note as quickly as possible, and he shouldn't have died either
Dec 3, 2018 4:31 PM

Aug 2007
I almost wonder if the intention of the end of this series was to be a mess to showcase Light's degeneration after L's death? But the writing is not as tight as the beginning.

The biggest problem is N, to be honest. He's a carbon copy of L with no real flaws. He doesn't get enough development to care that he is Light's new rival. Mellow is interesting, but he's generally overshadowed by Near :/

Feb 22, 2019 5:11 PM

Feb 2019
The series has gotten a bit bland since L died. I hope things will tense up a little in the coming episodes.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Mar 4, 2019 6:28 AM

Dec 2007
some of the problems i have in this episode is - in the first half of the series every master plan light had they showed us it's clearly how it's done, but again the anime just rushed ahead to the point, unlike the manga they showed us stape by stape, now, it's good thing they skipped some chapters with unimportant information but this...

anytime i rewatch this episode i'm asking myself - if light didn't tell them to seek for melo how would soichiro died? i mean, his death was planned since he shortened his lifespan so it will happen anyway.
Mar 9, 2019 7:40 AM

Dec 2018
Scared of Mello? Rly?

His father will see that Light is Kira in heaven or maybe hell? lol.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Apr 24, 2019 12:27 PM
Apr 2018
How the hell did Mello escape from his hideout? The whole building exploded ffs and he had no protection bar the helmet. I hate that guy.

I'd lie if I said that the episode wasn't entertaining though.
Oct 22, 2019 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
There seem to be some plot loopholes, but nonetheless, this series is sustaining my interest. It was beyond perfect a few episodes ago though ;(

Poor Otto-san.. felt bad.
Jan 20, 2020 6:33 PM

Apr 2015
This was a heavy episode just like the Rem and L one. I'm really curious to see where this goes now as I haven't read the manga.
Sep 1, 2020 10:58 PM
Oct 2019
Light is just like Lelouch
BTW it just really pissed me off that Soichiro couldn't even write a single name... man it will just take few seconds.. how can he... everything would've been changed...
Still, i'm a little bit confused, why light is so determined to kill Mello by his father? he has misa.. doesn't he?
And how the hell he lost his ownership of deathnote?
Oct 23, 2020 8:05 AM
Aug 2020
I'm so glad Mello didn't die. It's not like i'm on his "team" but he seems a cool carachter. Probably one of my favorites. But what pissed me off in this episode is the fact that Light's father died believing that his son was not kira. And I don't see why ppl are saying that this episode or that the show is getting boring, it was pretty exciting to me.
Oct 23, 2020 8:09 AM
Aug 2020
OtAkU_TaBiB said:
Light is just like Lelouch
BTW it just really pissed me off that Soichiro couldn't even write a single name... man it will just take few seconds.. how can he... everything would've been changed...
Still, i'm a little bit confused, why light is so determined to kill Mello by his father? he has misa.. doesn't he?
And how the hell he lost his ownership of deathnote?

ikr he's from the police and can't kill the man that kidnaped his daughter... but it wouldn't/ will not be easy for misa to get in contact with mello, so light wanted to use the chance that he had with his father.
Nov 4, 2020 3:56 AM
Jul 2020
He should have written mello's name
Nagisa Hentai is lit as Fuck!
Jan 7, 2021 7:36 PM

Mar 2020
Yikes... this episode really hurt in the beginning. It broke me to see innocent and cute old Sayu, completely in shock and unresponsive (and in a wheelchair). That’s just messed up.

As for the rest, it was really cool, but... WHY THE FUCK DIDN’T YAGAMI KILL MELLO. I know, I know, he’s never killed someone before, but Mello is like, the second worst person in the show after Light and I just wanted him GONE.

Still though, that was my only complaint with the episode. Rest In Peace
NOW WATCHING: Blue Exorcist (Season 3), Bungou Stray Dogs (Season 2), Delicious in Dungeon, Mashle (Season 2), The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio, Whisper Me a Love Song, Wind Breaker

Jan 7, 2021 7:37 PM

Mar 2020
Kayrhandros said:
Ok... Someone explain to me ,before I even think about talking more about the ep, this: ...
Mello has Kira's old note, Kira as Misa's note, he gives up possession of it and yet Misa has a 3rd note? I must have missed something....

maybe I'm watching too much stuff at the same time ^^
AGREED!!! I love the show but I was like TOO MANY DEATH NOTES AAAA
NOW WATCHING: Blue Exorcist (Season 3), Bungou Stray Dogs (Season 2), Delicious in Dungeon, Mashle (Season 2), The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio, Whisper Me a Love Song, Wind Breaker

Jan 8, 2021 1:16 PM

Jan 2020
there is some action. it is improving.
but it still didn't please me as much as i was hoping for.
this anime keeps switching back between boring & good.
Jan 15, 2021 8:16 AM

Dec 2019
Where is Misa's notebook? I thought Light & Misa had it. Why didn't Light kill Mello while his dad was with him? Doesn't he have extra pages stuck around his house & in his watch? What the hell is going on.
Feb 1, 2021 7:59 AM

Jul 2017
Light Yagami is such a phenomenon. Using his father and making him do the shinigami eye deal, having him write the name in the book of Mello as he was easily about to be killed and basically not caring for his father dying but the fact that the name wasn't written in the notebook in time, Light couldn't even write the name in the page that was there in the watch because he didn't know what Mello looked like. He's truly a bastard and by far the best character in the show, even if his mentality is becoming more and more generic kind of like the show itself with this final arc so far. RIP Soichiro though, but at least he can go to sleep knowing that his son isn't Kira from the fact that he could see Light's lifespan, even though he'd find out the truth in purgatory.
Apr 5, 2021 10:50 PM

Nov 2018
What happened in this episode was definitely a strong blow for Light, but not only because he could not eliminate Mello, but also because I think he was not ready to lose his father. Similarly to Sayu's case, I find it hard to determine how much of Light's pain was out of love for his father and how much out of interest for his own objective. I'm tempted to believe that he cared more about his father than about Sayu, yet I also must admit that his father was definitely more useful to Light in the Kira affair, due to his position. This is why I was a little bit confused by Light's ease at accepting his father to make the deal with Ryuk for the death god's eyes (this involving the shortening of Souichiro's life). At the same time, his surprise that Souichiro didn't act or think like him, his desperation at his father's different approach, made me conclude that Light cared about him, he wanted his father as a partner who survived and continued working with him.

Much like L, I think that Light's father was one of the characters that Light admired. It's very likely that Light's strong sense of justice stemmed from the admiration of his father. Yet, Light could not convince his father of his beliefs just as he couldn't have convinced L either (not that he tried 😆). Plus, Light was blinded by his own vision. It seemed so natural to him that his father desired revenge, the same way some episodes ago he was certain that eventually all people would have embraced Kira's thinking. Souichiro had his own blind spot too. He would not doubt his own son in the most stubborn way 😆. Even before things got too far he hadn't the slightest feel, intuition that Light was directing toward a radical vision. As a consequence, Soucihiro was powerless in helping his son, in diverting him from Kira's path. The only one who showed vigilance in this sense—even trying to change Light's mindset at some degree—was L. Unfortunately, L had not the necessary time and context to get close enough to Light as to allow Light to become more trustful of him and take him more seriously about Kira.

One aspect that interested me in particular was to follow the death notebooks, as I felt they were key elements to understand the anime's action and Light's schemes.

Initially, I have wrongly assumed that Rem did not use his own notebook when killing Watari and L. But he couldn't do otherwise because Gelos' notebook was already with Misa and Sidoh's was in L's custody. Therefore, we have four notebooks, but we've only seen three of them so far:
1) Sidoh's notebook which Ryuk has thrown on Earth. It has "Death Note" written on its first cover and usage instructions, including some false ones (at the back of the notebook). This was the notebook Light had used from the beginning, later delivered by Rem to Yotsuba Group and finally recovered by L and the Japanese police.
2) Gelos' notebook that Rem gave to Misa. It has also something written on the first cover (which unfortunately I can't read 😅). Misa has used this notebook until she became arrested by L. The notebook has been brought by Rem to Light. It was given to Ryuk and was buried during the time of Light and Misa's imprisonment. Misa recovered it after her release and she continued to kill criminals with it in Light's place.
3) Rem's notebook. It has nothing written on any of its covers. Rem used it to kill L and Watari. After Rem's death, Light retrieved the notebook in secret. He used it to kill the Yotsuba people and L's accomplices, Wedy and Aiber.
4) Ryuk's notebook. We don't know anything of it except that it exists 😁.

There are some important aspects related to these notebooks, which I couldn't understand at first:
— in episode 24 we learn Light's strategy before his surrender to L: he switches the notebooks of Sidoh and Gelos between Rem and Ryuk. Rem ends up with Sidoh's (the notebook used by Light) and Ryuk with Gelos' (the notebook used by Misa). Just like me, neither the death gods did understand what Light intended 😂.
— Sidoh's notebook had to be with Rem for the following reason: Rem was supposed to give the notebook to someone; that someone would have become the next Kira, a trap for L. The false instructions, which would have acquitted Light and Misa were in this notebook. If L and the police were to ever get their hands on a death note this was the appropriate one.
— Ryuk was requested to toss Gelos' notebook on earth for Light to get it. But after taking it, Light immediately returned it to him. Before surrendering, Light needed to keep his contract with Ryuk, hence to possess a notebook that Ryuk owned. Light didn't want to lose his memories before his surrender. As we can see now, in this episode, taking a brief possession of Gelos' notebook at that moment, has proved useful at present. Although he has given up on Rem's notebook (which was in his possession), keeping Gelos' notebook (which belonged to Misa now) helped him preserve his memories. In episode 21, Rem said that you could not recover your memories about the notebook unless you touched a notebook that you had used previously. The term "used" is a little bit debatable since Light hasn't really used Misa's (Gelos') notebook. But when he asked Ryuk to toss it and then picked it up, Light possessed that notebook. On the flip side, when Rem touched Misa with a piece of paper of Sidoh's notebook, she couldn't recover her memories about the notebook because she had never been that particular notebook's owner/user (Sidoh's). Still, I doubt that Light went as far as to predict the current situation. I think that at that time he had done it only to preserve his memories, or maybe for a supplementary back-up too; but not more than that.
— As Gelos' notebook was left in Ryuk's care, when Misa was freed she could get in its possession. She could restore her memories because that was the notebook she had owned and used previously. Light certainly envisaged this scenario because he left her a letter in the notebook. Under no circumstances that notebook should have gotten in L's hands or police's! Light must have assumed that he would have remained around L and the police even after the false Kira was captured.

Coming back to the current episode, I became a little bit confused about what happened with two of the notebooks.
— Light gave Ryuk Rem's notebook, ending his ownership of it. This way, when his father had the death god's eyes he could confirm that his son was not Kira (he had no possession of a death notebook) — Amazing scheme!!!
— At the same time he kept Misa's notebook to avoid losing his memories of the death notebooks.
— Rem's notebook was provided to Light's father (minute 11:09 — a notebook with nothing written on it — its book spine is at the viewer's left side/Souichiro Yagami's right side. So, we definitely see the front cover).
— Light's father was also the person to recover Sidoh's notebook from the Mafia guys.
— When Light's father confronted Mello he had with him both Rem and Sidoh's notebooks.

But what do we see?
— Minute 15:55 — Souichiro Yagami threatened Mello opening Rem's notebook (none of the covers had anything written on them).
— Minutes 16:13, 16:14, 16:30 and 16:58 — Souichiro held in his hand Sidoh's notebook while threatening Mello (we had "Death Note" written on one of the covers).
I have closely watched the interval between 15:55-16:13; he didn't change the notebook. It wouldn't even had made any sense, if we think about it.

After taking all this trouble to investigate what had happened, I came to the conclusion that it may have been only a tiny technical error 😆.

Other interesting aspects:
— Sidoh had to touch the notebook himself and then touch its owner with it so that he could make himself seen and heard. Obviously he was not the owner of his own notebook at that moment :))).
— Mello resembles more to Kira than to L...he is incredibly cruel! Perhaps the creators of Death Note tried to replicate the rivalry of Light and L through Mello and Near.
— Rem's notebook will remain in the police's custody as a substitute for Sidoh's notebook (bye, bye rules!!).

KonokoAsadaApr 5, 2021 11:03 PM
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

May 3, 2021 6:39 PM
Aug 2020
Light is a real bitch :)
Sep 13, 2021 2:36 PM

May 2019
I'm reading the comments here to figure out the transfer of notebooks. I know Light had intentionally made the Shinigami switch them around, certainly takes a lot of thinking as to which notebook belongs to which shinigami and which notebook was used by whom.

We know the one with the false rules was Sidoh's.

Anyway, smart move by Light.

Mr. Yagami takes the shinigami eyes? Holy shit, RIP you good man. Light must have ended up with a notebook he never used so that his father could see he was not Kira in the end.

I really am not a big fan of the Near and Mello arc but alright...
Dec 26, 2021 3:29 PM
Jul 2018
Sometimes I forget that anime is usually unrealistic but this episode was extra frustrating because of how realistic the show is so far. I know sometimes they gotta do that to keep the show running but it's just ridiculous when Light's dad hesitated that long to kill Mello. He kidnapped his own daughter and threatened to kill her, that should be enough for Light's dad to write his name in the book within seconds. But I guess it just adds to the plot, the scene where he says Light isn't Kira was pretty cool tho. I don't even be posting in these discussions but I just had to get this one off my chest fr
Feb 6, 2022 4:18 PM

Jan 2022
Honestly I'm kinda disappointed by the whole thing with that new shinigami, ended up being way more lame than I was hoping for. I was hoping that he'd like stick around atleast but there really wasn't any reason for him to be here.
Dec 2, 2022 11:30 AM

Feb 2022
I didn't expect Light's father to die
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Dec 15, 2022 12:32 AM

Jul 2022
AAAAAAAAAAAAAH! SO CLOSE!!

A lie, but at least Souichirou died thinking that Light is not Kira...
Apr 29, 2023 12:58 PM
Mar 2022
finally the dad of light died eucbwub
Jun 16, 2023 1:01 AM
Jun 2023
Very good episode really liked it
Aug 5, 2023 10:22 AM

Apr 2016
I will miss deputy director Yagami.
But why you didn't shoot you coward ?? Shoot a leg.
Aug 13, 2023 4:04 PM
Jul 2021
Really sad about Soichiro's passing. He died as a happy man.
Aug 13, 2023 4:07 PM
Jul 2021
Really sad about Soichiro's passing. He died as a happy man.
Oct 9, 2023 12:57 AM

Sep 2023
Lol I knew Ryuk was stronger than Siddo immediately... Confirmed when he was restraining him, yup.
Dec 4, 2023 12:28 AM
Dec 2023
i just couldn't stand the main character
Dec 14, 2023 10:15 AM

Mar 2018
misa has possibly the worst ass of all time, truly japanese.
hello hello
Mar 26, 5:21 PM
Mar 2023
Wow...just wow...

Soichiro, I don't know what to say. The man felt responsible enough for handing over the Death Note for his daughter's safety that he made a deal for the Shinigami Eyes and was EXTREMELY fucking close to using it on Mello, only to die before Light and the remaining Task Force.

R.I.P, Soichiro. You were a good man who believed your son to be innocent.

If only you knew....
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

917 by SrRubikat »»
May 15, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

395 by yalinarul »»
May 12, 12:41 PM

» Why didn't Light just write in the notebook 'Touta Matsuda dies after killing L at a specific day x and time y' Or something like that

CaptainKing_2009 - Jul 4, 2023

6 by InqMusic »»
May 11, 3:30 AM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

29 by YahiyaX777L »»
May 9, 12:33 PM

» Imagine a world without Death Note

ZeroMajor12 - May 6

0 by ZeroMajor12 »»
May 6, 3:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.