Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (29) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 17, 2015 10:57 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
[b]THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION THREAD. DO NOT DISCUSS THE VISUAL NOVEL BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

- This thread is only about this episode / this anime. If you want to discuss (future) events in the VN or Fate/Zero, compare the anime with the VN or Fate/Zero etc. please use separate threads.
- Do not spam in this thread. This isn't a chat thread or your twitter.
- Do not ask where to watch this episode or post links to the episode.
- Trolling/baiting/abuse/harassment will not be tolerated.

For more information see the Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.[/b]
May 23, 2015 8:24 AM

Jan 2011
EMIYA KITTAAAAA
Based Lancer is based.

All this anime original.
How the hell did Archer cast UBW twice?
Aimer is all well and good, but the insert song seemed kinda out of place for me.
Weird flashback was weird.
Avalon...doesn't work like that.
Ufo fucked up.

May 23, 2015 8:25 AM

Nov 2011
UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS

So based Archer. I'm not sure how I feel about Archer vs. Shirou this episode though but it had its moments. The theme song was good though.

Good to see Lancer back for a moment but RIP D:
May 23, 2015 8:25 AM

Jul 2007
Well at least they did Lancer scene justice and worst fears did not come to passs. Rejoice people, at least they did Kirei's death right even if I hoped for more of hot-blooded lines from Lancer and maybe some smirks there. Still greatest part of EP.

"Answer"(i put it in quotations since it is not the real Answer) was mostly meh. It was pretty much Shirou doing his typical TEMEEE screams with none of actual thoughts that made Answer the deepest moment in UBW. And they used EMIYA theme at the wrong time.

And of course Archer then casts UBW for no reason at all and the show's powerlevels are completely and utterly fucked(even more so than they already are. And then he keeps not using UBW at all? What was the point of even casting it ffs?

Seriously show, did we need dat edgy emorock for the final scene? Seriously? The scene was decent even if utterly shonen-y but that emorock pretty much made me burst up laughing.

And the huge problem with this episode is the lack of any sort of build up to Answer, namely to Shirou's ideals. Why should we care that Shirou believes it is not a mistake? How should we know how important the ideals are to Shirou and why? How are the viewers supposed to root for Shirou in this fight when they know nothing about his ideals or how they changed or what he believes in? It feels completely one-sided while at this moment the viewer is already supposed to know what Shirou thinks, why and the conclusions he came to.

As it stands it does more to characterize Archer(the less important POSSIBILITY of Shirou) than Shirou that actually developed in this route.

And dont give me that shit about "meh they changed it to reduce monologues" - they still have monologues...but for wrong people.

Too sum up - too much Archer wank, not nearly enough Shirou focus.

What should have been Shirou teaching Archer a lesson from what Shirou experienced through the route was turned into Achaa teaching idiot ginger a lesson. Meh.

3/5

Plot holes?
- Archer is not supposed to even be able to cast UBW int his state.
- In UBW Archer should be able to grind Shirou to paste in seconds. But alas in the show UBW is just a pretty scenery with no purpose at all.
- Projections are not supposed to "chip away". They are supposed to disappear.
AhenshihaelMay 23, 2015 8:29 AM
May 23, 2015 8:26 AM

Feb 2015
Archer summoned UBW for the second time...
Shirou used Avalon...
gj ufo
May 23, 2015 8:26 AM

Oct 2010
10/10 Shinji running away after he got stabbed by Lancer.
Shirou removing his jacket for more speed, dbz mechanics.

I AM THE BONE OF MY SWORD
UNKNOWN TO DEATH
NOR KNOWN TO LIFE
UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKS

Diz Archer: how to waste mana, use UBW just to talk with Shirou.
Shirou abusing avalon after he got rekt.
The quality was good as always.
May 23, 2015 8:27 AM

Aug 2014
That was better than I expected. Infosar as I can tell they portrayed Shirou's internal struggle and look back on everything well enough so far, though the whole flashback thing was a little....weird. I liked the OST too, though mostly for EMIYA and the Aimer song there.
That said, it is certainly weakened by the lack of proper build up of his character prior to this episode, especially with how the Distortion scene was handled.

Lancer scene was done well, heh, Shinji got away with a prick and ran away instead of getting stabbed, lol.

UBW being casted was still dumb. Why didn't they at least have the full chant now if they're going to have it anyway? They didn't show him absorbing any other way, and Archer didn't actually use UBW to do....anything.

That was a good ep, 4/5, might go up (or down lol) with subs.
InsertanamehereMay 23, 2015 8:41 AM
May 23, 2015 8:29 AM

Aug 2009
Shinji mvp this episode.
Good episode.

May 23, 2015 8:31 AM

Mar 2015
Better than I expected it to be from the preview,I guess it helped to lower my expectations ;D
Leaving the UBW "bs" aside,Lancer's scene was good.
"You are not human" :/
_HeroKenzan_May 23, 2015 8:40 AM
May 23, 2015 8:32 AM

Jul 2007
Insertanamehere said:
That was better than I expected. Infosar as I can tell they portrayed Shirou's internal struggle and look back on everything well enough so far, though the whole flashback thing was a little....weird. I liked the OST too, though mostly for EMIYA and the Aimer song there.

TH if we lower expectations and not expect them to add anything to Shirou, his reasoning WITHIN Answer was decent, but it was seriously brought down by absolutely no showcase of his development to this point in the rest of episodes.

VN readers can feel for Shirou and understand why this is important, but for anime onlies who only got "lolsurvivor'sguilt" about his ideals, this tells them nothing. And without characterization which would have made him into snarky lively likeable person, it does nothing but drive up the "tragic backstory" part which they already did justice.
May 23, 2015 8:33 AM

Sep 2014

Shota Shirou is kyuute. Avalon-thing was far more flashy than expected, but great nevertheless. OST was godly. I think my ears just had an orgasm ~.~
The sun is a deadly laser
May 23, 2015 8:33 AM

Aug 2010
This episode was simply... amazing.

For an episode to surpass 11 years of my insane expectations and headcanon, that's a fucking achievement.

I can't find even a single flaw in it.

The Lancer scenes and the absolute ecstasy of seeing Kirei die 10/10
Shinji's humiliation 10/10
Archer's back-to-back talk 10/10
Shirou's doubt 10/10
Saber's trauma face 10/10
Shirou's flashback 10/10
Excellent use of OST 10/10
Shirou reaching his conclusion 10/10
Shirou finally appearing as the badass he is 1000/10

This is one of the best episodes in ANY Fate adaptation out there.

Emiya/10

Also, obligatory:
astroprogsMay 23, 2015 8:40 AM
May 23, 2015 8:34 AM

Dec 2014
Based ufotable, show's great, I really liked how they explained why Archer can cast UBW the second time.

The Caladbolg+Durandal projection scene was adapted 1:1 too.

The first half of the episode is enough to make most people cheer for Shirou with all the Archer explanations.

10/10.
May 23, 2015 8:35 AM

Mar 2015
It was a fine adaptation of Answer but within the context of the anime it doesn't land because they haven't built up Shirou correctly.

In other words, like the rest of the show, fanservice for VN readers but a poor standalone. Oh well.
May 23, 2015 8:36 AM

Sep 2014
astroprogs said:
This episode was simply... amazing.

For an episode to surpass 11 years of my insane expectations and headcanon, that's a fucking achievement.

I can't find even a single flaw in it.

The Lancer scenes and the absolute ecstasy of seeing Kirei die 10/10
Shinji's humiliation 10/10
Archer's back-to-back talk 10/10
Shirou's doubt 10/10
Saber's trauma face 10/10
Shirou's flashback 10/10
Excellent use of OST 10/10
Shirou reaching his conclusion 10/10
Shirou finaling appearing as the badass he is 1000/10

This is one of the best episodes in ANY Fate adaptation out there.

Emiya/10

Also, obligatory:

Originally posted by WrongPriest.

Literally mine and BL's reactions.

Jul 2013
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS

BUT TO ME, THIS EPISODE WAS ABSOLTUELY EPIC!

Brolancer especially went out like a total bro ;_; LANCER DIED! YOU MONSTERS!...but at least he got to go out in a (literal) blaze of glory, rather than succumbing to a depressing suicide like another Lancer I know. He totally showed Kirei AND Shinji! AWWWW YEEEAAAAHHHH!!! YOU WERE AWESOME TO THE VERY END!!! BAI BAI RANSA, YOU WILL BE MIIISSSEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDdddddddddddd

Apart from that, Shirou himself was really badass this episode. We got a lot of talking and flashbacks, and the one with the fire was especially cool - I think it would've been more appropriate to have the Emiya remix play instead of the Aimer song, but ah well. The Avalon healing and the usage of UBW too was surprising, but it made the episode seem more epic overall, so I don't mind~

Overall, I really liked this ep =")

Good luck, Emiya Shirou~ BECOME A HERO OF JUSTICE!
CarenPriestessMay 23, 2015 10:29 AM

Aug 2014
CookingPriest said:
Insertanamehere said:

TH if we lower expectations and not expect them to add anything to Shirou, his reasoning WITHIN Answer was decent, but it was seriously brought down by absolutely no showcase of his development to this point in the rest of episodes.

Yeah I agree.
May 23, 2015 8:37 AM

Jul 2007
Caliburn220 said:

In other words, like the rest of the show, fanservice for VN readers but a poor standalone. Oh well.

Frankly thats the problem with adaptation.

What does this adaptation want to be?
Stand alone anime original route?
Ensemble Cast Zero Sequel Edgelordery?
VN Fanservice?
VN Adaptation?

They mashed together all of above and what we have is very inconsistent poorly constructed show that has no real identity.

And then they added freaking emorock in the place where Emiya should play and I outright started laughing.

Still out of second cour this is mostly best episode. But that is only because everything else in the second cour was garbage. Still not as good as EP4 of first cour or Ep0 and 1.
May 23, 2015 8:39 AM

Dec 2014
The death at the beginning of this episode was the most heartbreaking scene I've ever witnessed. Can't believe how touching it was. Bravo ufotable!

I was in such shock that I hardly remember what happened afterwards. There were some pretty lights and the taller idiot screamed a lot at the Kirito wannabe before his powerlevel went over 9000.
Pretty anticlimactic after the opening act, to be honest.

I'll still give it a 2/5 since I was rather touched.
I am the Priest of my church
Yuetsu is my body, and wine is my blood
I have trolled over a thousand users
Unknown to sympathy, nor known to apathy
Withstood Shirou to eat Mapo Tofu
Yet, my question will never be answered
So as I rejoice, Unlimited Kirei Works!
May 23, 2015 8:41 AM

Aug 2010
CookingPriest said:
And then they added freaking emorock in the place where Emiya should play and I outright started laughing.

Emiya will surely be played in the next episode. It needs an epic continuous fight for it to shine the best.
May 23, 2015 8:43 AM

Jul 2007
astroprogs said:
CookingPriest said:

Emiya will surely be played in the next episode. It needs an epic continuous fight for it to shine the best.

It should have been used for Shirou's resolve moment, not for Archer.

Defend this adaptation all you want but that emorock had absolutely no place in this.

Aug 2010
TrueKirei said:

Salty about not having enough screen time, eh?

Sep 2014
Funny how you guys aren't even complaining about this;

Poor Ransa ;_;
May 23, 2015 8:44 AM

Jul 2013
Oh yeah, I forgot father died.

Well then...farewell, oh lovable priest. It was short while it lasted. It seems that today is simply not your day, so you'll have to wait until HF comes about for people to truly realize your badassery~

May 23, 2015 8:44 AM

Mar 2015
Stream was going on and off, so I couldn't here the replacement for EMIYA ost. I'll wait for subs for that particular issue, but from everything else I've seen, 10/10, or as close as I can give it that without feeling just a little sour about not getting EMIYA at the right time.

Lancer was Lancer, and the look on Shinji's face was once again priceless. Archer casting UBW was unexpected and uneeded, but cool enough to warrant the "fine, it's AU" excuse for it. From what I hear, Avalon was used when my stream petered off...? Shirou's contract should be cut already, but I'll give ufo some leeway so they can explain what happened next ep or something.

EMIYA was strangely calming, which makes me wonder if we'll get yet another edition later on (in Answer Part 2 or the last battle). But this ep. Lancer. Shinji. EMIYA. a UBW summon. And probably more if the stuff I missed is as good as people have touted it as in this thread. kk Ufo, take your 10/10 again~
May 23, 2015 8:45 AM

Mar 2015
mira-nyan said:

Poor Ransa ;_;

Sasuga Ufotable

Place fanservice in the same episode as the most important event in the whole story
May 23, 2015 8:45 AM

Oct 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:
Stream was going on and off, so I couldn't here the replacement for EMIYA ost. I'll wait for subs for that particular issue, but from everything else I've seen, 10/10, or as close as I can give it that without feeling just a little sour about not getting EMIYA at the right time.

Lancer was Lancer, and the look on Shinji's face was once again priceless. Archer casting UBW was unexpected and uneeded, but cool enough to warrant the "fine, it's AU" excuse for it. From what I hear, Avalon was used when my stream petered off...? Shirou's contract should be cut already, but I'll give ufo some leeway so they can explain what happened next ep or something.

EMIYA was strangely calming, which makes me wonder if we'll get yet another edition later on (in Answer Part 2 or the last battle). But this ep. Lancer. Shinji. EMIYA. a UBW summon. And probably more if the stuff I missed is as good as people have touted it as in this thread. kk Ufo, take your 10/10 again~

Avalon works in the VN there too, as long as Saber is close and supplying it mana.
May 23, 2015 8:46 AM

Sep 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:

It was in the VN, and Archer explained it here, as well.
May 23, 2015 8:47 AM

Aug 2010
CookingPriest said:
astroprogs said:

Defend this adaptation all you want but that emorock had absolutely no place in this.

I honestly think it's best to be played at the intense fighting moments, not a scene like Shirou's resolve.

I know it played in Shirou's resolve in the VN, but you need to remember that Shirou reached his resolve in the VN DURING the fight. Literally in between the sword clashes, ala DEEN.

ufo's execution is MILES ahead of that.
May 23, 2015 8:47 AM

Mar 2015
CarenPriest said:

Well then...farewell, oh lovable priest. It was short while it lasted. It seems that today is simply not your day, so you'll have to wait until HF comes about for people to truly realize your badassery~

Har. Har har.

mira-nyan said:

Poor Ransa ;_;

It's Shinji, Mira-chan. We hate him so much we're apathetic towards him already :)
May 23, 2015 8:48 AM

Oct 2014
astroprogs said:
CookingPriest said:

I honestly think it's best to be played at the intense fighting moments, not a scene like Shirou's resolve.

I know it played in Shirou's resolve in the VN, but you need to remember that Shirou reached his resolve in the VN DURING the fight. Literally in between the sword clashes, ala DEEN.

No he didn't reach it between sword clashes. He was on one knee and thought about why he was losing and regained his resolve and took Archer's words as his own, something he could be proud of.
May 23, 2015 8:48 AM

Mar 2011
mira-nyan said:

ANN is gonna be a fun place today.
May 23, 2015 8:49 AM

Aug 2010
OneTrueEmiya said:
EMIYA was strangely calming, which makes me wonder if we'll get yet another edition later on (in Answer Part 2 or the last battle).

And that's exactly what i mean. Emiya NEEDS a continuous fight on screen to be the adrenaline pump it is.

Sep 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:
CarenPriest said:

Har. Har har.

mira-nyan said:

Poor Ransa ;_;

It's Shinji, Mira-chan. We hate him so much we're apathetic towards him already :)

It's Kirei.

Mar 2015
mira-nyan said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

What exactly happened in the end of this ep? Did Avalon heal him completely? What did Archer say?

Aug 2014
astroprogs said:

Er...no.
May 23, 2015 8:51 AM

Feb 2015
OneTrueEmiya said:
mira-nyan said:

What exactly happened in the end of this ep? Did Avalon heal him completely? What did Archer say?

Wait for the subs(same as what I am doing...:P)

Mar 2015
mira-nyan said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

Har. Har har.

It's Kirei.

Ah. My bad. Lemme rephrase. It's Kotomine Kirei, the muddiest fake priest that will ever exist. We're apathetic towards him already, and he got stabbed in the end, so all's cool~

Oct 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:
mira-nyan said:

Completely healed him. Archer probably said what he said in VN 'the Sheath still works with no contract'
May 23, 2015 8:52 AM

Sep 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:
mira-nyan said:

Avalon healed him with it's glorious flashy-ness(inside Shirou's mind).

It also partly helped him fight back. For some reason. Then he stood up(he was half-conscious before) and Archer said that same thing he did in the VN, plus some more things about Seibah and Kerry.
May 23, 2015 8:53 AM

Dec 2014
astroprogs said:
TrueKirei said:

Of course I'm not salty, but would make much more thematic sense for Kirei to fight Archer instead. He wants Archer dead, and Shirou is weak as hell. Instead of going to Rin and getting himself killed, he should have gone after Archer. Too many plot holes; Kirei is much smarter than this. I blame Nasu's mediocre story. ufo could have rewritten this to make a lot more sense, but they were shackled to that sexist and badly written VN. A shame, really.

CarenPriest said:

Thank you, Caren. Unfortunately, my time in Fate has ended. I understand if some of you see no point in continuing to watch. I know I'm running low on motivation now.

Mar 2015
mira-nyan said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

It also partly helped him fight back. For some reason. Then he stood up(he was half-conscious before) and Archer said that same thing he did in the VN, plus some more things about Seibah and Kerry.

Ah, I see. Then apart from lack of EMIYA 2015 playing, what's the problem there? Why all the complaints thrown around?

Sep 2014
TrueKirei said:
astroprogs said:

Of course I'm not salty, but would make much more thematic sense for Kirei to fight Archer instead. He wants Archer dead, and Shirou is weak as hell. Instead of going to Rin and getting himself killed, he should have gone after Archer. Too many plot holes; Kirei is much smarter than this. I blame Nasu's mediocre story. ufo could have had this make more sense, but they had to stick to that sexist and badly written VN. A shame, really.

CarenPriest said:

Thank you, Caren. Unfortunately, my time in Fate has ended. I understand if some of you see no point in continuing to watch. I know I'm running low on motivation now.

I think you mean UBW. You're coming back in HF, dude.
May 23, 2015 8:54 AM

Aug 2010
nocorras said:
No he didn't reach it between sword clashes. He was on one knee and thought about why he was losing and regained his resolve and took Archer's words as his own, something he could be proud of.

That's between sword clashes.
UBW only played in that scene when he was facing Archer directly. All other scenes had "This Illusion" playing instead.
May 23, 2015 8:55 AM

Sep 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:
mira-nyan said:

Ah, I see. Then apart from lack of EMIYA 2015 playing, what's the problem there? Why all the complaints thrown around?

Bored VN readers looking for something to nitpick at. They seem to have forgotten that it's a canon AU.
May 23, 2015 8:55 AM

Oct 2014
astroprogs said:
nocorras said:

UBW only played in that scene when he was facing Archer directly. All other scenes had "This Illusion" playing instead.

Shirou had time to think about things. I know exactly when the songs played.

It's not like it was a 5 sec break.

On one knee with a sword disappearing is not between sword clashes and he has time to think about things, tell Archer to shut up, then say his line.

I guess now we compare VN to DEEN. Based ufotable saved us.
nocorrasMay 23, 2015 8:59 AM
May 23, 2015 8:59 AM

Dec 2014
mira-nyan said:
I think you mean UBW. You're coming back in HF, dude.

Yes, of course. That's what I meant.

Time to look forward to best route being adapted.
May 23, 2015 9:01 AM

Jul 2007
Just realized...should Shirou, you know, be REALLY hurt in the grail fire flashbacks? Why the hell is he completely healthy ?
May 23, 2015 9:01 AM

Dec 2014
astroprogs said:

What's UBW? Don't recall that track in the ost.

Emiya played pretty much just after a flashback, and exactly at the moment where Shirou says 体は剣で出来ている Karada wa tsurugi de dekiteiru

Whoever told you it was played in middle of clashing, they're wrong.
May 23, 2015 9:02 AM

Aug 2010
nocorras said:
Shirou had time to think about things. I know exactly when the songs played.

It's not like it was a 5 sec break.

On one knee with a sword disappearing is not between sword clashes and he has time to think about things, tell Archer to shut up, then say his line.

It WAS between sword clashes. You think Archer would stand there silently for like 10 minutes for Shirou to monologue internally?

"This Illusion" and "Defeat" were the songs playing during his thinking time.
Once he reached his conclusion he told Archer to shut up and THEN "Emiya" started playing. Right at the start of the action.
Pages (29) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 11, 2015

1719 by icim_fitto »»
Apr 27, 4:58 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1282 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 16, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.