Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 28, 2015 5:27 AM

Jun 2008
bastek66 said:
sbyrstall said:
WTF???

It's buzzword meaning "a character that acts different then I would like for unknown reason".
That's a pretty sick buzzword.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Apr 29, 2015 2:58 AM
Mar 2012
Exploring the relationship & emotional subtlety is refreshing to see, a bit closer to Hyouka in kyoani's works. It fits nicely with dof cinematography & realistic backgrounds.
Kumiko's fickle, superficial thoughts (chest size & ponytail in ep1 "trying too hard"), treats osananajimi like crap, unmotivated, and one-sided wariness toward Kousaka are all portrayed with fine detail. Sure she's an unlikeable/annoying character, but feels tangible & future growth possible.
Asuka's english with Sapphire, they're both awesome!
Amost went gay for Taki sensei... for a moment too long.
Hatoko's voice!? She's now Haruka, baritone sax & brass lead.
In our HS band (classical orchestra with brass & woodwinds, no strings), called that oboe & bassoon, not fagott. I miss its really deep unique tone & never heard it in anime yet.
Aoi, tenor sax, screams of a truckload of hidden backstory. "I guess I was establishing an alibi." Felt I immediately got what she meant. Biased for Haruka & Aoi, maybe since in HS band I played three variants of the saxophone family. I totally miss holding that baritone sax & keeping pressure through the huge instrument.
Both euphists are kinda weird is that a thing?
May 26, 2015 12:59 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A bit bland to be honest but there's still potential. I must say Asuka Tanaka will be hard to top as the coolest character here.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 31, 2015 11:02 PM

May 2014
Gotta be said, the backgrounds and sceneries look incredible. Liking this anime so far =)
Jun 17, 2015 2:10 PM

Nov 2010
bastek66 said:
Beatiful backgrounds. Especially water

That was indeed breathtaking
I also liked the expressions from the characters
Jun 20, 2015 4:52 AM

Jul 2010
I loved Taki-sensei <3
Asuka is so fun to watch.
Jun 28, 2015 7:58 PM

Feb 2013
Don't lie to me, you all read that eye-catch as"oboe and faggot"

Anyway this seems like it'll be unmemorable fluff the whole way through, but I also felt that way about Shirobako when I got it into it so maybe I'm judging too early? It's not like I can't see myself coming to like this cast down the line with some good writing (and I already do just a bit) Hoping this will click with me down the road too.
gedataJun 28, 2015 8:08 PM
Jul 1, 2015 11:58 AM

May 2012
Solid development so far, really like where this is going so let's see what's next!
Jul 1, 2015 12:45 PM

Jan 2014
Midori seems a mixture between Mayushii and Mugi.
Extremely cute, by the way. I like the main character, also, even though she's really overthinking things regarding that middle school contest.
Oct 2, 2015 6:38 PM

Jun 2011
Much better than the first episode. It's looking good right now, though I'd rather they tone down the kyoani-ism in this show, I don't like those small details where they scream "hey look I am so kawaii".

High school girl's uniform sure has a very short skirt, eh? I'd like to ask, if rolling up your skirt count as 'whoring yourself out'. I don't get the point. If you think it's hot under the skirt, think about the guys.

So far I've enjoyed the male characters accompany in this show. At first I thought it's gonna be a female-centric series. It's not over yet, so I hope I am wrong.

The walk under the sunset was great. I really enjoy those kind of things, you know, walking around the town, conversing, it makes the series feels more real if you know what I mean. It also expand on the world (town) building. Just overall chill moment.

I also like that the series isn't too over dramatic, though it is still too soon to tell. I hope that this series does not get too serious, I like it the way it is right now. I feel that if they are really aiming for the national, it will turn into a generic "aim for national" type of show, and I don't want that. I have a feeling it wouldn't work in this show, for me at least.

To sum it up, I hope the male characters get more screen time, and this show wouldn't turn generic or having lots of melodrama.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Goto dude, I really like the guy's deep voice, apparently his voice actor is Tsuda Kenjirou, who also acted in K, Free, Prince of Tennis, Yu Gi Oh (Kaibaaaaa). Gonna be keeping my eye on this guy. :)
ToG25thBaamOct 2, 2015 6:50 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 1, 2015 1:58 AM

Jul 2012
The instrument selecting and the goal scenes were nice. I wanna know more about Kousaka. I'm looking forward to her and Kumiko building their relationship.

And wow, the artwork for this show is gorgeous
Jan 6, 2016 5:22 AM

Apr 2014
Lol at Fagott.I know, that's immature
Jan 14, 2016 10:35 PM

Jun 2009
is it not possible for these people to "make memories" while trying to get to nationals? or can they only "make memories" via fucking around? anyway, that instructor is good.

kuro-ooji said:
billybob300c said:

2. Instead of "Fagott" in the eyecatch, they could've used "bassoon"

yes, this. I thought I was mixing up my instruments for a sec and was really confused when they said fagott?? like, bassoon is definitely the most common name for that instrument

1. they're different instruments
2. the french bassoon is actually becoming less and less common in orchestras around europe (and the world really) in place of the greman fagott.
loghneckbeardJan 14, 2016 10:39 PM
Mar 5, 2016 8:42 PM

May 2010
I thought it would be kinda bland slice of life series, but it has some pretty funny moments, that's great. Animation is absolutely flawless, and characters have pretty nice design. Music is just delicious. Sasuga KyoAni!

I'm not too fond of the main girl though, she seems kinda like an asshole, annoyed by everything :v Hope she grows on me in the future.
May 8, 2016 1:27 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, this anime has beautiful art and light effect, especially with background scenery.
Affinity to MAL
Anime: 47.35%
Manga: 46.36%
Aug 12, 2016 10:10 PM

Aug 2012
-Hagu
-Wow their elementary schools had hella funding for them to be able to have all those instruments, especially since they had silver ones and both french horns and mellophones. Seems they had cornets instead of trumpets, though, which is kinda weird to me.

-That's a pretty simple reason to have picked up the euphonium, but I like simple things, so...
-Yeah that's definitely too big of a mouthpiece for a trumpet
-These instruments are very extremely accurately drawn.
-Wait, they aren't letting green sapphire talk about the contrabass?
-That's some sharp and clear trumpet playing from Reina
-Hazuki's first trumpet notes were pretty spot on
-Asuka's pretty great
-Well, there goes KyoAni again doing KyoAni things with the Cinderella analogy
-They're introducing characters at a much more manageable pace than some other shows I've watched
-I have literally never heard a bassoon referred to as a fagott ever before, so this episode's eyecatch took a moment for me to understand
-KyoAni does KyoAni things again with Kumiko's fumbling with the pea pod or whatever that thing was
-Just noticed, halfway through the scene in question, that the lighting in the Aoi/Kumiko scene by the river is super-detailed
-Aoi's got a pretty interesting perspective on the concept of deciding on a common goal as an organization

So, I thought the Taki guy was Reina and Kumiko's conductor in middle school because of the scenes last episode with Orpheus in the Underworld playing, but they don't seem to have recognized him in this episode. Show still seems to be in introduction mode, but that's not a bad thing since I hate when shows rush through it and throw me off with all the characters. That being said, the episode was pretty decent.

Art is pretty spectacular, though.
Aug 31, 2016 12:01 PM

Aug 2008
Asuka is already my fave. Knew Aoi would accidentally bring up the euph thing. Haha.
Sep 24, 2016 6:05 AM

Oct 2013
Nice balance between a bit of humor and not too over the top drama. Beautiful animation. I thought the sequence where Kumiko, Sapphire, and Hazuki are walking down the sidewalk between the hedges was particularly striking and cool.
Jan 4, 2017 11:23 AM

Sep 2013
Green haired girl is a little bitch so far.
Apr 20, 2017 5:29 AM

Jun 2013
This show is absolutely gorgeous. The character designs are possibly the least flamboyant ones I've seen from Kyoto Animation, save for Hyouka perhaps. Even with the low saturation of the hair colors, they still manage to stand out. The only characters I initially confused were Reina and Asuka, but the glasses help.

The fact that the characters are so often drawn from different angles keeps the visuals engaging, and yet there's hardly ever a moment where I can't follow what's happening.

The main conflict arises between Kumiko's lack of genuine motivation and the various motivations of the other characters. This is introduced from the very first scene, and it'll be the driving force of the story, for sure.

There is also a surprising amount of comedic moments, mostly resulting from Kumiko's impulsive nature and the quirks of the other students, especially Asuka. Speaking of Asuka, it's pretty funny how she looks as cute as everyone else, and yet the characters keep informing us how beautiful she is.

Jan 29, 2018 7:41 PM

Dec 2015
OP has a Suzumiya Haruhi feel. Animation is beautiful as per Kyoani and pacing is nice however the discord between Kumiko and Reina feels forced.
~
Apr 7, 2018 8:33 AM

Nov 2016
Good follow up episode. The character interactions and the mellow feel of this series are making it for me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 29, 2018 12:39 PM

Oct 2017
So far Asuka is still best girl. She really seems to outshine Kumiko imo.

We got a little bit of instrument playing. I was hoping for some more. I’m sure we’ll get lots of it in the next episode.

I also really like their teacher. I hope we get to see lots of him in the future.

At least Kumiko finally managed to say something to Reina. I guess she’ll officially join the group soon.
Also, Aoi is an interesting character, and I really like her design. I wonder how much importance she’ll have?
Mar 12, 2019 9:25 AM

Feb 2018
Aye Asuka was great, its fun to watch her

Ugh kumiko should just tell kousaka what she feels already.

Remembering all their names gonna be tough tho

The animation is top tier just what you would expect from kyoani
Apr 7, 2019 9:27 PM

Jul 2012
I love Asuka's random English and how she tricked Hazuki into being with Tuba-kun hahaha.

Kumiko faces/noises are still great.

Reina is so cool and mysterious haha. I want more of her!

This show is gorgeous, I'm really liking the OST so far, and some of the camera angles chosen during some scenes were nice :)

Oh, I almost forgot!

"Hugu."
AndoApr 7, 2019 9:39 PM
Jun 18, 2019 10:08 PM

Feb 2018
Finally their relationship is closer.
Nov 29, 2019 7:54 PM

Feb 2008
Hopefully Aoi doesn't try to kill herself. It definitely feels like the series is hinting at that, but I'm hoping it'll be something less dark.
Dec 18, 2019 3:52 AM

Apr 2013
And so she ended up playing eupho again, that was to be expected. I would play the contrabass as well, since I'm mainly a guitar player ^^
Jun 3, 2020 11:55 AM

Sep 2018
Episode that confirms the first sensation of watching the previous episode: the narration is devoted to telling the protagonists' daily life in a serious tone, without sweetening situations and giving us non-stereotyped characters. Although it is a work that is serious, the spaces dedicated to funny and funny moments are not lacking in order not to make the narration too demanding and burdensome in the eyes of the spectator. Excellent backgrounds, a pleasure for the eyes.
Aug 6, 2020 6:22 AM
Apr 2019
Hm,typical Kyoani show where more girls are relevant than boys
,where hesitation and kawaism are similar to each other.
Let's hope we can get something new,why can't we expect another Haruhi ?
Sep 5, 2020 9:21 AM

Jul 2015
Goto's speech there on the tuba was amazing, I see Hazuki is the only one from the new members who has good taste. I believe giving the choice was a good thing, but wouldn't it be better to do this a bit later so the new members know their instruments and other members better (in case some leave the club).

Oct 24, 2020 12:08 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Tuba-kun gonna be op ASF

Knew this was going to be beautifully animated, but hot dam this was even better than expected. Kyoto animation does it again, with yet another seemingly compelling story to match.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 6, 2021 11:34 AM

Feb 2020
This show is so gorgeous. I just love the visuals so much. The concept and all the main characters are also interesting, so there's not much to complain about..
Apr 3, 2021 6:21 AM

Apr 2009
Asuka is so full of life! LOL

I've got a feeling Taki-sensei is gonna be hard on them, oh well they choose to dig their own graves.

I still don't get her anxiousness over Reina, Reina seemed to have moved on and her own past guilt or pride or whatever that was is her own problem now.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 16, 2021 1:24 AM
Aug 2021
That advisor dude's rather laid back. He allowed them to either just have fun in the concert band or seriously compete for the Nationals. And most of them chose the Nationals option but in reality quite a few of them don't really care about it. It's interesting how Aoi was being honest about this. Kumiko you need to talk to Kousaka.

Also the background visuals in Kumiko's and Aoi's conversation looked beautiful.
Sep 21, 2022 2:36 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
At least now they're all in the fanfare group, but sure there's some kind of trauma behind with the contest
Oct 22, 2022 12:38 PM

Nov 2021
By the end of this episode i thought i was watching some movie thats how amazing the animation is.

Jan 25, 2023 12:58 PM

Jul 2022
Hoping for a lot more drama and dark moments, it's a little but too sol for me right now, visuals are great
Aug 12, 2023 5:05 AM

May 2020
Of course a hot-looking glasses-wearing male teacher would end up as the advisor for a band with ninety-nine percent of its members as girls;)

Leaving that aside, the band has chosen their goal of competing at the nationals, however unserious it might be, and the main girl despite being beyond indecisive will play that same instrument again.

Not sure what's awaiting them going forward, but hopefully it shouldn't be something serious like whatever that Aoi girl makes it sound like lol.

Also based KyoAni with movie like visuals.
Dec 26, 2023 7:58 AM
Aug 2022
I think I am hooked on it, from this episode.
Jan 31, 10:05 AM

May 2021
Reply to loghneckbeard
is it not possible for these people to "make memories" while trying to get to nationals? or can they only "make memories" via fucking around? anyway, that instructor is good.

kuro-ooji said:
billybob300c said:

2. Instead of "Fagott" in the eyecatch, they could've used "bassoon"

yes, this. I thought I was mixing up my instruments for a sec and was really confused when they said fagott?? like, bassoon is definitely the most common name for that instrument

1. they're different instruments
2. the french bassoon is actually becoming less and less common in orchestras around europe (and the world really) in place of the greman fagott.
@loghneckbeard
I think what they meant was that the choice is between preparing rigorously for nationals or just allowing the members to pursue music as a hobby.

Mar 24, 2:41 PM
Mar 2018
I hope Kumiko can quickly find the strength to tell Kousaka what's on her mind!

Oh, and I thought the animation of the river was so pretty! *o*
Mar 28, 12:51 PM

Jun 2015
This is getting interesting. I like it.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Jun 2020
Wow, the skirt rolling was a blast from the past. I'd almost forgotten all about that whole phenomenon lol. A nice bit of added realism that takes you right back to being 15 again!

Also lips girl with the short skirt is best girl. That innocent expression when she rolled down her skirt... My mouth was laughing, but my heart was fluttering. 10/10 character design.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2015

194 by BritishBlitz87 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

243 by BritishBlitz87 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

396 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 24, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2015

206 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 18, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

454 by Max98 »»
Apr 29, 2:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.