Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2015 5:28 AM

Dec 2011
As we know, light novel series are often adaptated into anime. Given that this is an anime focused website, I assume most people in this club have watched a few anime adaptations of light novels. These anime are often made with a large part of their purpose being to advertise the light novels that they are adapted from.

Some potential points for discussion:

To what extent does an anime adaptation impact whether or not you read a light novel series?
Do you even pick up series that have not been adapted into an anime?
Are you the sort to go out and read the light novels before the anime begins, or do you wait until the anime is over before you start reading?
How effectively do you think anime adaptations advertise light novel series for you? Are there series where you feel that the anime let down the source material? Are there any series where you think the anime far outshone the original light novel series?
Have you ever actually been put off a series that you were previously interested in because of an anime that wasn't very good?

You can also, of course, come up with your own things to talk about or discuss other people's comments.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 25, 2015 5:28 AM

Dec 2011
Personally, finding potentially interesting light novel series to read is one of the main reasons why I watch anime adaptations of light novels. A slight majority of light novels that I have bought volumes of are ones where I watched the anime first (although there are a couple like OreTwi which I would probably have bought anyway). As the anime is what persuades me to buy them I generally buy the series after the anime is sufficiently far through that I feel confident that I want to get the series, so I won't start reading them until after the anime finishes - although with Chaika, which I already owned but hadn't really started on before the anime was announced, I tried reading as much as I could in the month or so before the anime began - only for the adaptation to pretty much catch up with all I had read in the very first episode.

Obviously as I often watch these anime as advertisements, the anime will have a big impact on whether or not I will pick up the series. However, when watching anime adaptations I generally try to separate out the things which will be down to the anime from those that probably originate from the novel series. For instance, the art quality, pacing and how exciting stuff like battle scenes are in an anime usually bear little to no relation to the light novel. On the other hand, the characters, setting and style of humour are usually similar. I also accept that anime adaptations are usually slightly less enjoyable than the novels they are based off, which is only natural given that they are very different forms of media.

As I generally pick up novels after watching the anime (and most of the other series I have bought don't have anime adaptations) I am unlikely to buy things if the anime really put me off, which probably lessens my chance of having stuff that I feel the anime butchered. However, I'm sure that the ending of Chaika will be a lot better than that super-rushed anime ending (how they even got approval for that "I don't really care anymore" style episode is beyond me), episode 0 of SaeKano probably put off a lot of people who would really enjoy the series, and most of the negative things I have heard other people say about Inou-Battle result entirely from the fact that the anime was like taking some of the better parts of the story, breaking them up into sections and then using a random number generator to determine what order to put them in.

There have been a couple of series which I have not bought because of not liking the anime which I would have probably bought otherwise. Mahou Sensou is the stand out case, although Seikoku no Dragonar is another example - this latter one is one which I've heard some people say is a case of the light novel being far better, but I'm not sure I have sufficient confidence in this to go out and buy the novels despite having droped the anime in discomfort.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 25, 2015 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
Wow this is a pretty good discussion topic (thing...)! I'm going mull over this for a bit...

To what extent does an anime adaptation impact whether or not you read a light novel series?
For me, the anime adaption doesn't really impact whether I want to read a light novel, but sometimes it does introduce me to a series I may have not know about previously. Rather than the animation though, the art of anime adaption may influence my opinion of several characters in the book (as most of the time the anime art doesn't resemble light novel art at all)
Most of the series I pick up haven't been animated because I usually buy new series...so I guess this is a yes. For me, the artwork of the lightnovel would get me interested, and then if the synopsis convinces me to buy it, then I will. Whether the lightnovel has an anime or not doesn't really concern me when the first time I see a novel.
Are you the sort to go out and read the light novels before the anime begins, or do you wait until the anime is over before you start reading?
If I bought the light novel before the anime began, than I would read it, but if I planned to buy it and the anime came out before I got a chance to, I guess I would buy when I get to a part in the anime where I don't want to wait for the next week ahaha...But I think, I would normally buy it before the anime comes out, because the time sequence or the plot in the anime doesn't entirely match up with the novels'.
How effectively do you think anime adaptations advertise light novel series for you?
Pretty effective in my opinion, as series like the Koten-bu series were simply books I passed by at the bookstore before Hyouka came out (and then they suddenly became a favorite....).
Are there series where you feel that the anime let down the source material?
I haven't actually read or entirely watched this series, but I heard that 'Mahou Sensou' anime was a let down to many fans of the author? However, personally I don't have anything like that as of yet, unless anime with art that doesn't match its content counts?
Mar 26, 2015 4:54 PM

Jun 2013
I agree, lol. I would have answered sooner... but I was busy with other things and really had no time to come up with a thoughtful response.
Anyways!

I'd say it impacts me to a pretty good extent. There are times when I'm only able to read the light novel because the anime came out and caught my attention~ This is what happened with Mondaiji-tachi, To Aru Series, and Unlimited Fafnir.
Of course, there are even more light novels that I've read without the influence of an adaptation.
Overall, it has a pretty positive effect on me in the end.

Of course, most of the series that I've read don't have an anime adaptation~ I'm constantly looking for more series to read... but a lot of the ones I do catch an interest in don't have dedicated translators... So I'm only able to put them on hold. >w>

I fluctuate on this... Sometimes I read the light novel before the anime begins... Other times I begin the Light Novel after I finish the anime... Heck, I've even started the Light Novel as the anime was airing, lol.
It honestly just depends on how I'm feeling about it at the moment.

How effectively do you think anime adaptations advertise light novel series for you?
That's a tough one... To an extent I'd say. It's pretty effective on me for the reason that I'm always looking for awesome light novel adaptations in a new list.
So Yeah, It's effective on me... but I know it has no effect on some people.

Of course. Many.
In my opinion, It's a rule of thumb that the Light Novel is always better than the adaptation. So the adaptation usually lets down the source material.

Are there any series where you think the anime far outshone the original light novel series?
None. The closest instance where I thought an anime was even on par with a Light Novel was No Game No Life. Maybe Mondaiji?

Have you ever actually been put off a series that you were previously interested in because of an anime that wasn't very good?
Only Once... That was with Mahou Sensou.
After the anime made me so disappointed, I really didn't even want to think about the Light Novel.
In fact, I want to read it the least... Really, I don't even think I can imagine myself reading it.
If I ever do read it, which I probably won't... It'll be for Mui.

How about this question?
To a Light Novel that has an anime adaptation, Did you feel the need to recommend the LN first, or the Anime Adaptation?

For myself, on this question... I think I've been more inclined to recommend the anime version.
Usually, people like to see the anime version first to get a taste, then if they feel like they want to... I'd show them the LN version.
Unless the person is already a Light Novel of course... if they already read Light Novels, I'd recommend the LN.
Mar 27, 2015 6:35 AM

Apr 2013
When I started buying LN? I started with LN with an anime adaptation that I liked (Gosick, Baccano, Index) as well as a LN with an anime adaptation that I didn't watch yet (luckily actually) but heard about, C^3. After that, for a while I choose LN with anime that I liked (spice & wolf, kyouran kazoku nikki...)or that I didn't watch but heard about as well (toradora, mondaiji...).
I simply wasn't knowledgeable enough about LN to know what could please me and not, and didn't have enough volumes read to understand which LN readers had similar tastes with me and who didn't have.
Right now, I almost completely switched toward LN/novels without adaptation, with a few exceptions here and there. There's very few LN with an existing anime adaptation among my top 20, which shows that it was a smart move in my case.

Mostly now, as answered above, since I noticed that most series being adapted are confined into very specific tags that don't especially gives good things most of the time.
Main tags being Harem, Ecchi, School life
Secondary tags are more varied, but basically, the more of those main tags a series posses, the higher the chance of being adapted. A story without any of those tags has a far far lower chance of adaptation. Considering I don't especially favour any of those tags well...

If I'm interested into a series that will get an anime adaptation, then the former (or around the same time at least, trying to go over the point that will be the end of the anime before the anime ends), mainly to avoid stumbling into spoilers written here and there by people having seen the anime and not caring about peoples who didn't.

This helps a series to be translated in english by making it more widely known by the western audience, which means more possibilities of having others peoples to talk with about that series.
Outside of that, it helps for sales, which is a good thing. But when the adaptation ruins the original work, the advertising can turn into a nightmare as well, with every single anime watcher sure that X series is crap.
As for the effect on me. Well, right now, close to none.

A lot.
-I could rant for pages about CubexCursedxCurious adaptation for example, where almost everything possible was butchered, mostly for no reason at all.
-Kyouran Kazoku Nikki adaptation was fun to watch. There's only one probleme. They left out 100% (yes, 100%) of the main plot across the 7-8 volumes they adapted, only adapting the arc plots, some of them very very partially to boot.
When you know that one of the main interest of this series is the very well made main plot, that's a shock.
-Denpateki na kanojo's adaptation is ridiculous. fitting a 300 pages novel into a 40minutes long anime is already screaming lots of content being cut or butchered, but they also managed to skip the second volume, which introduce AND develop HALF of the important characters taking part in the third arc which was adapted with a 40 minutes again. Looking at the result with those short scenes inserted painfully here and there in an already completely butchered and compressed content, those short scenes trying to introduce in a few seconds the missing characters who would have required 1h by themselves was sad. Especially considering that the most interesting element in this stories are the characters, all riiiight...

Rokka no Yuusha will be next, probably. in some case, I don't even watch the anime any more, not interested in seeing the source being butchered like that.

Are there any series where you think the anime far outshone the original light novel series?
I can't think of any. Some did a very good job most of the time like Gosick, some were even very creative like Baccano's adaptation, some tried hard impossible adaptation mission like Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon, but outdoing the original material? I've heard that IS anime actually managed that, but that it was due to the sheer mediocrity of the original material rather than actually be good though.

This would have happened if I've seen c^3 anime first, that's for sure lol. Right now... Yes, I guess so, with SAO and Accel World, as well as hidan no Aria for example.

To a Light Novel that has an anime adaptation, Did you feel the need to recommend the LN first, or the Anime Adaptation?
LN first and then enjoy the character you learned to like being animated and gaining a voice as well, I'd say. I'd recommend to someone not very fond of reading to first try with a LN that had an anime adaptation he liked, though.
ZefyrisMar 27, 2015 6:40 AM
Jun 21, 2015 7:17 AM

Oct 2010
>To what extent does an anime adaptation impact whether or not you read a light novel series?

Any light novel adaptation that feels like skipped something and the anime is something that I enjoyed, I consider reading the light novel regardless how good or bad the anime. Additionally, common reason such knowing what will happen next is something I feel as well though it is limited to a few like Mondaiji-tachi.

>Do you even pick up series that have not been adapted into an anime?

Yes. The first set of light novels I've read online are those who dont have anime counterpart. Most of the light novels I read either something that seems interesting from synopsis like Only Sense Online; recommended to me like Madan no Ou to Vanadis; something I thought reading just to pass time like Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance; and light novel where the manga totally got me interested in the original/novel version like Tsuki Tsuki!.

For the sake of record, I already started the following light novel before the adaptation news for them
*Absolute Duo
*Heavy Object
*Madan no Ou to Vanadis
*Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
*No Game No Life
*Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

>Are you the sort to go out and read the light novels before the anime begins, or do you wait until the anime is over before you start reading?

I'm on the latter since I'm the type who prefer to read a complete volume instead of chapters by release unless it fits to what I mentioned in the second question.

>How effectively do you think anime adaptations advertise light novel series for you? Are there series where you feel that the anime let down the source material? Are there any series where you think the anime far outshone the original light novel series?

Anime advertisement tends to sucks on light novels that shows a lot of details. Such a prime example would be Madan no Ou to Vanadis adaptation. It removed a lot of content that would make it a very good political war anime into a shounen with mere supernatural power and a harem. But if the advertisement for ecchi anime, most of the time they are effective. High School DxD adaptation were pretty good for advertising the novel.

I also heard from a friend of mine that To Aru Majutsu no Index adaptation was terrible because a lot of details on it was missing.

>Have you ever actually been put off a series that you were previously interested in because of an anime that wasn't very good?

None so far.

>To a Light Novel that has an anime adaptation, Did you feel the need to recommend the LN first, or the Anime Adaptation?

That depends on the material. If the adaptation is something that could loss minimal to none of the novel offers, I would recommend the anime first but if the adaptation has a lot remove part, then light novel first. Sadly this rarely happens since the ratio of people watching anime to those who read manga and light novel is not really balance. In 10 people watching anime, its safe to say 7 of them reads manga and in 7 of them, 3 would be the biggest number of light novel readers among them.
mlcdlJun 21, 2015 9:14 AM
Jun 23, 2015 7:20 PM
Apr 2015
To what extent does an anime adaptation impact whether or not you read a light novel series? I wasn't aware of light novels until I watched anime adaptions so a mjority of the LN series I read are because of their anime.

Do you even pick up series that have not been adapted into an anime? Yes, but very rarely. Tate no Yuusha no nariagari is my favorite one that deserves an anime.

Are you the sort to go out and read the light novels before the anime begins, or do you wait until the anime is over before you start reading? Neither, I usually read as the anime is going on so that I could compare the two and see if the anime maintains the integrity of the novel

How effectively do you think anime adaptations advertise light novel series for you? Are there series where you feel that the anime let down the source material? Are there any series where you think the anime far outshone the original light novel series? I think they are great advertisements because some light novel adaptions such as No Game No Life, Oregairu, etc stand above other anime and that attracts new fans to the original source material.

Have you ever actually been put off a series that you were previously interested in because of an anime that wasn't very good? Yes, there was a time when actually seeing the light novel get animated kind of makes me feel stupid for reading it in the first place. It has only happened once, but I remember completely dropping that series
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » [CLOSED] ►► LNA Official Card Shop ◄◄ ( 1 2 )

Ranobe - Aug 2, 2016

70 by solace »»
Dec 25, 2020 12:15 AM

» Help me find the title of this LN

alysho10 - May 31, 2019

0 by alysho10 »»
May 31, 2019 8:18 AM

» manga which feels like your reading a light novel

foscor70 - Feb 3, 2018

1 by -daijoubu- »»
Mar 31, 2019 11:50 AM

» Light Novel

NatsukazeAi - Dec 29, 2018

1 by pedoropedoro »»
Jan 16, 2019 4:55 PM

Sticky: » [ACTIVE] ►► Add a LN to the Relations List◄◄

Ranobe - Jul 1, 2015

17 by valoon »»
Sep 9, 2018 6:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.