Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2015 4:32 PM

Jan 2014
Rapidfir3Pho3nix said:
Goatee said:
Haha, if she died its predictable. If she lives it's predictable. Characters are horrible and poorly written. Wasted potential. Does anybody watch anime for the sake of enjoyment anymore instead of scrounging for things to nitpick? This show used every bit of potential it had, don't kid yourself. Just because the author didn't tell the story you wanted to hear doesn't make the story any worse. The characters reminded me exactly Toradora, a show praised for its lovable characters. Kousei and Kaori had great chemistry as well as the three supporting characters.

People complain about Wataris lack of a complex story, but it doesn't need it. Watari was there as a tool for Kaori to get to Kousei, if you grow to attached to Watari when Kaori admits that she lied, you side with Watari which is a bad idea. The story was about Kousei, and his mental growth. He learned that even when you lose someone dear, there will be others who value you and your well being. I think the premise and execution was fantastic. If I had a complaint, it would be the artsy dialogues, those got a litter awkward at times but never were overdone. The art is beautiful, the animation is smooth and gorgeous, the soundtrack is the most underrated in years. For anyone who likes music and romance, watch this. But watch this with an open mind. Don't go into it with a shovel ready to dig into it as soon as you find a soft spot. Anime isn't about ratings or being right, its about looking for beauty in unexpected places. For me, I definitely found a ton of it here. 10/10

Took me far too long to find a comment with some sense in it.

There's not much I can add on to that. Are people really trying to tell us the unpredictable ending would be Kaori surviving??? Happy, miraculous fairy tale endings are such a rarity in anime right!?!? People find any little blemish on a popular show and blow it out of proportion like a bunch of hipsters. Besides some out of place comedic scenes, and a being a tad heavy on melodrama this show was all I look for in an anime series. I've only given a 10 to four shows before but it's time to make it five. 10/10
Mar 19, 2015 4:33 PM
Dec 2010
The only thing i find negative in this show is too much abstract scenes, especially during music parts in the latter episodes. I'm not saying all of them were bad, but at some point creaters overdid it for the worse.
Still - beautifull anime.
Mar 19, 2015 4:33 PM

Feb 2013
Impressive ending, as it had everything I hoped for. Thank you A-1.
Mar 19, 2015 4:35 PM

Jan 2013
Mugen24 said:
Rapidfir3Pho3nix said:

Took me far too long to find a comment with some sense in it.

There's not much I can add on to that. Are people really trying to tell us the unpredictable ending would be Kaori surviving??? Happy, miraculous fairy tale endings are such a rarity in anime right!?!? People find any little blemish on a popular show and blow it out of proportion like a bunch of hipsters. Besides some out of place comedic scenes, and a being a tad heavy on melodrama this show was all I look for in an anime series. I've only given a 10 to four shows before but it's time to make it five. 10/10
Butthurt
Mar 19, 2015 4:39 PM
Oct 2007
Loved it. I figured she was going to die from the first episode when she went to the hospital on the bus. To bad she didn't have a magical junk robot to bring her back to life. I gave it a 9/10
Mar 19, 2015 4:39 PM

Nov 2013
Meh it was an ok ending, the other episodes were a lot better done IMO, poor Kousei tho he's gonna need some therapy after all that, probably has a thing for dead girls now.
"He's a player??? THE ONLY THING HE BE PLAYIN IS A HENTAI DATING SIM THAT FAKER"
Mar 19, 2015 4:43 PM

Aug 2014
Since the beginning until the end was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! ^.^
The last episode is one of best episodes I've ever seen in my life. Kousei-kun was always great at the end, and I'm happy to see that he didn't fall again, when Kaori-san died... :(
This serie should and must receive an Oscar for the most beautiful romance story, between people which share their love playing their owns sounds. ;)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Mar 19, 2015 4:45 PM

Aug 2014
The feels are too much to handle right now...
Great ending, the art was amazing!!!! I enjoyed every episode so much that i could do a rewatch soon.
I want to watch the OVA so badly :c
MALoween Mansion 2017

Main Candies:

Kabo-chan's Candies:

Mar 19, 2015 4:48 PM

Aug 2008
Tears run down my face quietly.

Shigatsu's beautifulness cover up all its tiny imperfection here and there. Overall, it's a series I like a lot.

Animatiion-wise, you can see how much effort the staff pour in it. A stunning beautiful anime.
Mar 19, 2015 4:49 PM

Oct 2011
Tyrel said:
6.5/10. I honestly felt nothing in the Anime and manga. I expected a lot more music, but was sorely disappointed in that. Final score prob a 6/10.

This. Music was lacking and overdramatic love crap.
Mar 19, 2015 4:52 PM

May 2008
Perfect ending, although I'm curious what happened with Kousei's rivals ( Aiza and Emi ).
Mar 19, 2015 4:55 PM

Mar 2015
I was not prepared for that.

...is what I want to say. Last week I got impatient and looked up the last chapter of the manga. Even though I knew what was going to happen in this episode, it doesn't make it any less heart-wrenching.
Mar 19, 2015 5:02 PM

Dec 2014
A beautiful ending indeed.Choosing Chopin Ballade no. 1 op. 23 in G minor was emotional too. Completely different approach than its use in "The pianist" even thought the melancholy still exists.An episode full of emotions.
"Don't be distracted by the what-if's, should-have's, and if-only's. The one thing you choose for yourself - that is the truth of your universe."
Kamina
Mar 19, 2015 5:04 PM

Jan 2008
At first I thought the "lie" in the title refered to their promise to perform on stage together (which is also true in a way, since it only happened in their minds). But it seems the lie was that Kaori never felt anything for Watari at all, and her whole intention was to get close to Kousei, the one she tuely loves. Very interesting to see Kaori with a different look in the background, both at 5 during Kousei's concert, and her cute twin-tailed/glasses combo.

That fantasical duet with Kousei imagining playing with Kaori was really beautiful. It's too bad their only real performance together was their first and last one, which turned out to be a sort-of disaster/ win.
Estoy_GordoMar 19, 2015 5:15 PM
Mar 19, 2015 5:07 PM

Jun 2011
That was beautiful and sad.
'wipes tear'

Now to do 99 push ups because of the feels.
Mar 19, 2015 5:13 PM

Jun 2007
I am satisfied with the way they handled her death. Their fated last duet being performed almost spiritually as she passes away during surgery was far more believable than having her miraculously be able to perform on stage in her condition, surgery or not. Kaori having been interested in Kousei all along also makes the events of the series more logical in retrospect.

The finale didn't quite move me to tears, but I may just be dried out from having to euthanize my cat last Saturday.
Mar 19, 2015 5:16 PM

Nov 2007
The letter Kaori left for Arima saved his soul from a second death. Absolutely beautiful ending. A 9/10 for such a warm finale. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 19, 2015 5:18 PM

Oct 2011
</3

T______________________T

Kaori NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Mar 19, 2015 5:20 PM

Mar 2012
I'm at a little bit of a loss for words trying to think of how to describe this series.

The best way I can describe it is I feel somber completing it. I pretty much knew going into this episode (I don't know about knew, but had a pretty good feeling) that Kaori was going to die.

The spiritual duet was handled fantastically and the subsequent letter read put a nice frosting on the cake.

It was an interesting way to end the series, it almost reminded me of White Album 2 how it ended on a sour note, but the appropriate one considering the tone of the series (ironic that they are both series revolving around music and love triangles).
Mar 19, 2015 5:26 PM

Jun 2014
This was the most emotional, inspirational, touching, and beautiful anime I've watched since Clannad and Kanon! I thought I was prepared for the ending and I honestly was not!

My final score may be piss some people off, but I gave this a 10/10!

My first finale of the season and I am just stunned at the way it ended!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Mar 19, 2015 5:26 PM

May 2014
Well, the feels train has come to its final stop. Kousei's performance was spectacular. It really fit in with what he was thinking and imagining. Kousei and Kaori playing together, even if it was through Kousei's own head, was pretty nostalgic. I missed Kaori playing the violin. When Kousei was trying to hold back his tears, I couldn't hold it.

Now I understand the meaning of the title after the letter. The letter was very touching. Kaori wanting to play the violin after seeing Kousei's performance when they were 5 years old was heartwarming. It was a sad yet, beautiful ending.
Mar 19, 2015 5:34 PM

Feb 2012
Fuck this anime, seriously. Feel like an emotional wreck right now.
9/10
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Mar 19, 2015 5:39 PM
May 2014
I was underwhelmed by some of the changes they made from the manga. They cut lines from other characters and decided to have Kousei and Kaori in that abstract ocean location from the opening. I also felt they overdid the petals when she started disappearing. Other than that, it was still good. Some parts did not hit me as hard as reading it, but some parts hit harder than I expected.
Mar 19, 2015 5:40 PM
Feb 2014
As predictable as the ending was supposed to be, it couldn't be all that bad.

I don't know what I'm going to give this show. I thought there were good moments and bad moments. There's no need to call this a masterpiece or something appalling though. People are just simply too extreme and feel that grading this show is like taking a side. The middle ground doesn't even exist.

Because elitist and casual stereotypes are showing here. And it's not making me happy atm.
Mar 19, 2015 5:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Goatee said:
Characters are horrible and poorly written. Wasted potential. Does anybody watch anime for the sake of enjoyment anymore instead of scrounging for things to nitpick? This show used every bit of potential it had, don't kid yourself. Just because the author didn't tell the story you wanted to hear doesn't make the story any worse.

I think most people here watch anime for the sake of enjoyment...why bother doing things which are essentially pointless (in general, watching anime won't directly positively affect your health is what I mean by pointless) when you don't enjoy it? Have you ever thought about how people enjoy things in different ways? I think most came into this anime with an open mind, especially since it's not some sort of harem LN adaptation, where people will definitely have expectations going in. I definitely did enjoy the first few episodes, but then gradually I found that I didn't enjoy it that much anymore. Initially, I didn't think about exact factors as to why I didn't like it as much anymore, it was just a feeling. So was I nitpicking? No. Then I thought about it briefly, concluding that I simply did not like the "comedic" (the violent tendencies of the female characters to be more specific) scenes which interrupted the flow, or the melodramatic tone. These and other reasons overall led to me not being able to enjoy the show as much anymore. If it really was just two or three small things, I wouldn't mind. But I don't think it's nitpicking when several factors that occur again and again, and affects my overall enjoyment of it.

Also, characters are very important to people's enjoyment, and proper character development also contributes to some people's enjoyment of an anime. And even then, character development can be really subjective. Some will tell you that it seems forced, while to others it may seem natural (not that it necessarily pertains to this anime). Anyways, you say that this story was about Kousei and his mental growth. Indeed it is the overall focus of the story. Unfortunately it was polluted with unnecessary things like Tsubaki's romantic feelings for Kousei. They spent quite a lot of time on that, yet she wasn't a character that many could feel connected with, thus, she was not a very likable character. I do like seeing Kousei growing past his trauma, yet have you also considered how the portrayal of Kousei's mother and the abuse that Kousei went through did not sit well with some of the audience? It doesn't matter if the production was great, no one's going to tell you that the visuals weren't beautiful or that they didn't like the soundtrack (in fact, I've been listening to it on replay). That alone will not be able to wash away the distaste of the problems that I, or other people, found throughout the series. You found beauty in this anime, but not everyone did. I'm also betting that I will find beauty in some other anime in which you won't find any in that same anime. It happens.

Lastly, "Just because the author didn't tell the story you wanted to hear doesn't make the story any worse." Of course people will always complain how it could've been written better or what they would've liked to see happen. But that also doesn't make the story any better :) I don't think that's what the negative comments are pointing out though, it's more about the directing and the execution of certain parts of the story.

Silvertide said:

Anyways, after bawling my eyes out during the entire 20 minutes of the last episode, I came here to share my thoughts on the show and see some hopefully similar thoughts. Boy was I wrong. Most of what I've read is negative.

Hm well from what I've read in this thread, I see pretty much about a 50/50 with positive and negative comments. Won't really count them cuz that'll take too long, but I think I actually see slightly more positives than negatives (don't judge just based on the first two pages alone). Anyways, this isn't anything new. The proportion of positive to negative comments doesn't really reflect the poll. If you want to know what most people think about this anime, look at the ranking, and look at the poll for just this episode alone. It seems people who have negative opinions about something are usually more vocal. Not always, but usually. I learned not too soon after I joined MAL when I saw the same thing happen to an anime that I really liked. I think it's more interesting to see why people have different opinions. It's easy to say "I don't understand why people..." have this or that opinion, but when people give you reasons and it's not just a few of them, then it's something worth thinking about, I guess. Or if you don't want to think about it and just love (or hate) the anime, that's fine too. It's a discussion thread for a reason. Though you did also give your POV, which adds to the discussion. This isn't targeted towards you, but a few others who "don't understand" why there are so many negative comments here.
Mar 19, 2015 5:44 PM

Jun 2013
ฺBeautiful Series :) TT
Mar 19, 2015 5:57 PM
Jan 2015
9/10 ... Nice ending

RIP Kaori
Mar 19, 2015 6:03 PM

Jul 2012

god damnit
おやすみ、おやすみ
close your eyes and you'll leave this dream
Mar 19, 2015 6:14 PM

Sep 2012
I'm a 25 year old man with a full beard, and i just finished balling my eyes out. God damnit. I knew how this was going to end, from the moment the show even hinted at her being sick, I knew she was going to die, but I still held hope that maybe, just maybe, there would be a happy ending. NOPE. There was no hope, hope does not exist. Anime exists to crush hopes and dreams. I feel hollow inside. 9/10 I fucking loved that show.
Mar 19, 2015 6:15 PM

Aug 2007
Very heartfelt. Enjoyable ride throughout. Only had minor issues here and there, but overall it was well done. Never read the manga so I had hoped for the best, but I guess it was inevitable.

Loved it.
Mar 19, 2015 6:19 PM

Sep 2011
4kicks said:
At first I thought the "lie" in the title refered to their promise to perform on stage together (which is also true in a way, since it only happened in their minds). But it seems the lie was that Kaori never felt anything for Watari at all, and her whole intention was to get close to Kousei, the one she tuely loves. Very interesting to see Kaori with a different look in the background, both at 5 during Kousei's concert, and her cute twin-tailed/glasses combo.

That fantasical duet with Kousei imagining playing with Kaori was really beautiful. It's too bad their only real performance together was their first and last one, which turned out to be a sort-of disaster/ win.

I don't think she loved him initially. To her Kousei was her hero and musical inspiration. However once she got to know him that admiration turned into love. I'll have to rewatch it to see if i can spot where that seems to happen, but it certianly is before she faints and misses the performance.
Mar 19, 2015 6:23 PM

May 2012
I really hate that person who spoiled the ending for me earlier this week.

Not sure whether to rate it a 8 or 9.

Mar 19, 2015 6:30 PM
Feb 2015
I just finished the last episode and I'm currently BAWLING MY EYES OUT SHE LOVED HIM HER WHOLE LIFE I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF NOW.

Oh the other hand, I guess Kousei's music...
was to die for

Please don't kill me.
Mar 19, 2015 6:30 PM
Aug 2013
I wasn't expecting to cry but in the last part of the letter, seeing how full of life she was and how she had to die made the tears flow ;__;

What a great anime. I'm so glad I watched the whole thing.
Mar 19, 2015 6:32 PM

Dec 2010
the last few scenes were too humiliating for kaori..kousei walked off with a happy smile and having fun with the other girl..kaori's disease was treatable too(als treatment)..itis very risky but hoping for that it logical...
Mim
Mar 19, 2015 6:33 PM
Jul 2009
i didnt like the first part.. to "artsy" for me.. but i must say
what a beautiful ending.. wow
Mar 19, 2015 6:34 PM

Apr 2011
This was fantastic, rich, beautiful show filled with many ups and downs and fantastic music to go along. 10/10 for me.
Mar 19, 2015 6:38 PM

Jun 2013
I was planning not to cry from this but it happened anyway .
R.I.P Kaori.
Mar 19, 2015 6:41 PM

Oct 2012
Still crying.
Mar 19, 2015 6:49 PM

May 2011
Aha, so it did happen. I'm glad they decided that Kaori passes away, I wouldn't want a BS miracle to happen; that wouldn't fit the mood at all. I'm not saying I'm happy Kaori died, I'm just saying the way went about the ending was well played.

I really wanted to cry. I really did. Unfortunately, I didn't. It was a beautifully orchestrated end episode. I'm not thinking about the little faults this series had along the way for once. It was absolutely beautiful to watch, and I'll miss looking forward to this every week. I just wish I could have cried.

5 is average, so 9/10.
Mar 19, 2015 6:52 PM
Nov 2010
this show moved me, even though it might have been predictable and with some forced situations in it, but I wouldnt want it different. The ending blew me away. 9/10,
bflealMar 19, 2015 6:58 PM
Mar 19, 2015 6:56 PM

Aug 2014
It was nice to see Kousei and Kaori perform together one last time. The death flag scattered throughout past episode already make her death inevitable so I did not expect a miracle to happen. But it still hit me hard...
Mar 19, 2015 7:02 PM

Apr 2013
MuruManu said:
What a beautiful ending.
Mar 19, 2015 7:06 PM

Nov 2014
I liked the final episode, except where Kaori and Kousei were performing together because they over-did the farewell scene of Kaori (her bursting some light or whatever that is) it should have been better if she faded quietly along with the cherry blossoms while Kousei's music mellowed down until she was gone.

But overall, it was a great anime. It's something that you will certainly remember years from now. It makes me feel nostalgic, I'm mourning for Kaori.
Mar 19, 2015 7:22 PM
Jul 2018
Miragee said:
The final episode was quite good. I thought the animation+music of the first half was really enjoyable and the letter in the second half was a good way to wrap it up.

HikariJake said:
A true masterpiece and a great adaptation.
This was on par with the Clannad feels imo ;__;

lol, no it was not. The disparity between the feels of Clannad and this show is so big I can't even begin to describe it. I'm personally not sure why people have "the feels" in this show. I didn't cry a single time over its whole course. The character writing has been awful so I didn't feel attached to the characters and the dramatic moments all felt really forced. Also, most of the time, the mood was destroyed by a comedy scene.

^
Mar 19, 2015 7:23 PM

Aug 2014
Wow, what a liar. Deserved to die for lying.
Mar 19, 2015 7:33 PM

Jun 2013

This anime has played with my heartstrings like a violin. A selfish angel has passed on and I don't think most of us can recover.
Loved the manga
Loved it in animated form even more.
9/10

Mar 19, 2015 7:38 PM

Jan 2015
I knew it was going to be a tear jerker and as promised there I sat completely captivated, tears streaming down my cheeks and into my green thai curry as I listened to Kousei's amazing performance.

This was an amazingly beautiful series. I hope we're treated to more like it.
Mar 19, 2015 7:39 PM

Nov 2014
Just the perfect ending! I mean I am sad and everything but it wouldn't be right if Kaori didn't die.
Yes, the soooo much feelings were annoying sometimes, the lack of development of Watari -who I really like were some of the weaknesses in my view, but overall very good show, very good.
I have to say I teared in almost every episode.

I am still amazed that it is page 14 already of the discussion, apperantly it was one of the great shows this season. Because of the beautiful ending, I raised my rating from 7 to 8/10
Mar 19, 2015 7:46 PM

Nov 2014
Very good story with a nice and touching ending
Pages (24) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.