Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2015 1:50 PM

May 2012
Loved the story and the ending was expected. If she survived, the story would have had less impact overall
Mar 19, 2015 1:51 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Mar 19, 2015 1:51 PM
Aug 2013
I haven't listened to anyone's opinions or comments on this show since I started watching it. No one recommended this show to me, I was not influenced by anyone. Personally, I loved the whole thing and I gave it a ten. For me to give a show a ten, I have to enjoy it and see nothing wrong with it.
Anyways, after bawling my eyes out during the entire 20 minutes of the last episode, I came here to share my thoughts on the show and see some hopefully similar thoughts. Boy was I wrong. Most of what I've read is negative. I just don't understand. What was wrong here? The music and art was good. Kousei's development was beautiful. And for those of you who think this show can't decide what it wants to be, what are you even talking about? It's not about romance...it's not even all about music. It's about a traumatized boy who is brought back into the light with the help of a bright and lively girl. And once he is finally brought into the light, his shining companion falls and he has to learn to stay strong despite that. The music was important, but this show was really about feelings. At first I expected Kaori and Kousei would play together a lot more, but it went in a totally different direction and I was fine with that.
Though I was really surprised by the comments on here, I respect your opinions, I just was quite shocked since it seemed like such a nice story to me.
Mar 19, 2015 1:52 PM

May 2014
Ending was actually ok.
Kaori is a free girl living her life to her fullest and achieving everything she wanted to do knowing she's going to die.
It's kinda sad.
RIP KAORI

I absolutely have no idea what's going to happen in the special.

Jul 2014
to be honest, the last chapter of the manga made me depressed, but the final episode of the anime made me really happy. However, both mediums are fantastic, and made me feel a vast variety of powerful emotions. I'm going to really miss this series *sniff*
Feb 2015
That's was amazing. I got so many goosebumps throughout this episode. Especially when he read the letter...
I broke into tears when she said I love you... If I got a letter like that in real life, idk what I would do...
Well in the end it looks like a relationship is about the start with Kousei and tsukabi. I'm happy with the way it ended but I wished Kousei and Kaori performed together one last time.
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Mar 19, 2015 1:54 PM
Apr 2014
As person who likes to play piano and listen to classical/romatic music often. I like to point out how well placed the music in this anime is. Some say they varied the theme in this anime and that they couldnt decide what they wanted. But i think that clearly knew what they wanted.
I think i could say that this anime wanted to take certain'classical' pieces and give it meaning to it. As soon as i heard arima play the first notes of Chopin's first ballade i knew what would happen. And in this last episode each phrase of the ballade was given meaning by the events in this series. I really really loved.

as someone who loves to play classical/romantic music and havent experienced these kind of feelings, I am really thankful for this anime

10/10
Mar 19, 2015 1:56 PM

Jun 2011
Antearion said:
She was in love with Kousei the whole time. It kind of makes you wonder what the story would have been like if she told him all that stuff about her before hand.

Well, she implied things at times. But in general I believe that Kaori never revealed her feelings (as well as her disease) to Kousei out of kindness and selflessness. At first I thought that this late confession was horribly cruel (because it'd leave Kousei with regrets for what could have been) but now I think that's the best way to have things done. A romantic relationship in their complicated circumstances would probably be miserable - and it'd tie Kousei to Kaori the Human Being much more than to Kaori the Living Dream.

That would make his recovery after her passing much more slow and draining. And after all her goal was to ensure he was happy as a pianist again, not to just claim his love immediately. Remember how she told that after learning the truth she chose to do "whatever she wanted"? Yet apparently she wished for Kousei's long-term happiness more than to have a romance with him.

A wondrous girl, indeed.
We have to keep our dreams alive. Something to look forward to.
Mar 19, 2015 1:57 PM

Dec 2012
REALLY SAD
This show was amazing , I will never forget.
Mar 19, 2015 2:00 PM

Jul 2008
While I knew she was going to die for weeks. The part where she last plays with him is what got me so annoyed.

In the manga it was so simplistic yet beautiful and it really spoke to when they met (especially when she disappears afterward). Seeing how the show just dramatized it honestly made me more annoyed then sympathetic.

That one moment is one of my favorite in the series and I was so excited to see it animated that seeing what they did....it made me really dislike the first half of this episode. *sighs*

P.S. The part with the letter played out astoundingly!
Mar 19, 2015 2:00 PM
Mar 2013
I don't know how I feel about this show. It's cheesy as heck and the characters are pretty one-dimensional, however, it never failed to make me cry. I feel so conflicted.

though Kaori was so so so SO cute as a little kid oooh my goD
Mar 19, 2015 2:01 PM

May 2014
Had almost lost hope for this type of anime/manga series having an awesome ending like this.

Also, the whole story didn't have anything naive about it, so 100/100 for that! :)

Mar 2014
Yes this gave me feels

May 2014
5/5 10/10 Beautiful Masterpiece
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2015 2:07 PM

Jan 2014
Had alot of problems with this anime, with its melodrama second half, but this final episode was really good. I give it a 7/10
Mar 19, 2015 2:07 PM
Mar 2008
Wow, this shit was so predictable from start to finish. And when something is so predictable, you can't feel the characters and the (cheap) drama.
6/10 just for the nice art.
Mar 19, 2015 2:08 PM

Jan 2014
They didn't put the competition's results and crowd reaction, and changed the concert scenario with kaori to the all blue scenario with kaori. My only complaints.

The piano play Kousei was really heartwarming, beautiful, and fantastic. You can really feel, see, hear how he displays his feelings and dedication, especially to kaori. Then they are playing together for one last time "somehow", I first thought it was 2 lies: liking Watari and the promisse to play again together, but they actually did? But that doesn't really matter does it?

The letter was exactly like Kaori, it had the Kaori character written all over, kousei face reactions slowly reading the letter. Even if a miracle did not happen we still got a great teary ending. Absolutely loved these 22 episodes. The anime ending felt more happy than the manga ending, and the cemetery transition didn't feel that much as a shock. What a great experience, hoping for more animes like this in the future. Rating between 9 and 10
Mar 19, 2015 2:09 PM
Sep 2014
You have to be kidding me. This episode besides the art and animation was just stupid. The last 10 minutes of the episode was just telling the fans that the writer F***ed up by adding Tsubaki into the story. She held back all potential the show had, and contributed nothing. She blocked off a love interest, and added unfitting comedy. She drew out the show but not in the it should've been drawn out. She single handedly ruined the show
Mar 19, 2015 2:12 PM

Mar 2014
Akichi said:
My only complaint about the last ep is that A1 skipped the audience's reaction at the end of the performance.

Funny, I was happy they cut that out, because it just wouldn't fit when dozens of people applauding and cheering after Kousei played the performance of his life and started crying.

But what a blast the performance was! I would never think that the nop-notch manga ending could be topped in THAT way. The first 11 minutes are beyond description.

Silvertide said:
Anyways, after bawling my eyes out during the entire 20 minutes of the last episode, I came here to share my thoughts on the show and see some hopefully similar thoughts. Boy was I wrong. Most of what I've read is negative. I just don't understand. What was wrong here? [...]

Wrong expectations, I guess. I would agree with you. It's about a boy becoming an adult and his feelings and how he manages to live with them.
Mar 19, 2015 2:13 PM

Dec 2011
I love classical music anime and this one really have lots of emotion....Love the music in that last episode and i could really feels the love they have to each other.
I think the ending was good and it made it less difficult for Kousei if he had date her,he will get a breakdown for sure....
Now waiting for the OVA hoping it will be an alternate ending....
Mar 19, 2015 2:13 PM
Jan 2014
7/10, Show would have probably been 9/10 if not for 14 year old MCs and random comedy elements.
Mar 19, 2015 2:18 PM

Aug 2012
My heart. :'(
Mar 19, 2015 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
Goatee said:
Haha, if she died its predictable. If she lives it's predictable. Characters are horrible and poorly written. Wasted potential. Does anybody watch anime for the sake of enjoyment anymore instead of scrounging for things to nitpick? This show used every bit of potential it had, don't kid yourself. Just because the author didn't tell the story you wanted to hear doesn't make the story any worse. The characters reminded me exactly Toradora, a show praised for its lovable characters. Kousei and Kaori had great chemistry as well as the three supporting characters.

People complain about Wataris lack of a complex story, but it doesn't need it. Watari was there as a tool for Kaori to get to Kousei, if you grow to attached to Watari when Kaori admits that she lied, you side with Watari which is a bad idea. The story was about Kousei, and his mental growth. He learned that even when you lose someone dear, there will be others who value you and your well being. I think the premise and execution was fantastic. If I had a complaint, it would be the artsy dialogues, those got a litter awkward at times but never were overdone. The art is beautiful, the animation is smooth and gorgeous, the soundtrack is the most underrated in years. For anyone who likes music and romance, watch this. But watch this with an open mind. Don't go into it with a shovel ready to dig into it as soon as you find a soft spot. Anime isn't about ratings or being right, its about looking for beauty in unexpected places. For me, I definitely found a ton of it here. 10/10

Thank you so much for typing this, I agree completely.
Mar 19, 2015 2:19 PM
Oct 2014
I'm so horribly sad now. Painful, but such a great ending.

ALSO THEY'VE BEEN TEASING US SINCE THEY STARTED THE SECOND INTRO

Mar 19, 2015 2:20 PM

Feb 2015
it's ending....

well that was good....
overall i liked the show

9/10

Mar 19, 2015 2:22 PM
Nov 2014
The animation on this show was top notch. That ending was nice and beautiful.

I hope to see more well made animes like this.

I'll give this show 8/10.
Mar 19, 2015 2:24 PM

Apr 2012
RandomDeception said:
ImTheGuy said:
I need to go do some manly shit right now.

Such as maturbation?
Girls dying and crying in general make me hard, so I find this show decent for that purpose.

Necrophilia is always nice.
RandomDeception said:
I wonder if Kousei had a fetish for corpses at this point.

It would be nice if he did.

you are trying too hard

Mar 19, 2015 2:25 PM

May 2014
11/10 Amazing! I was even crying so many times while I was watching this art. I'm waiting for OVA so much.
Mar 19, 2015 2:27 PM

Nov 2014
I love this show, I will never forget how moved I was by this.
I have one word to describe this show: "Beautiful"
Hi there
Mar 19, 2015 2:28 PM

Jan 2013
Average piece of shit.

5/10

Only for its backgrounds
Mar 19, 2015 2:29 PM
Jul 2018
What a beautiful final episode (it's sad that the last 11 eps were mediocre). Overall, outstanding art and animation, average original soundtrack (OST only, not classical music, cuz everybody knows that Classical Music > Any OST), good story (i guees) but bad executed, forced melodrama all over the place (good first 10 episodes tho).

7/10

Overrated imo.
removed-userMar 19, 2015 2:43 PM
Mar 19, 2015 2:29 PM

Apr 2012
A bit too melodramatic for me throughout the series, but I thought the last episode was really well made. The duet was pretty breathtaking, and the letter at the end wrapped things up nicely. I only wished they developed Kaori's and Kousei's relationship a bit more so it would have been more meaningful. It's rare that we get full adaptations so I'm definitely appreciative.

7/10

Mar 19, 2015 2:30 PM

Dec 2012
I need a hug
Mar 19, 2015 2:32 PM
Oct 2010
I think this would have been much better without dragged melodrama, excessive amount of death flags and badly executed comedic relief.

It all might come from a general lack of subtlety both in narration and direction.

Additionally, as a pet peeve, Tsubaki never grew on me. With Nagi or Emi around, she seems to me like the worst match for Kousei... Which reminds me, I can see this turning into a harem anime if the story went on XD (So I'm grateful it ends here)

I did enjoy some parts, but I cannot give it more than 6/10.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Mar 19, 2015 2:33 PM

Jul 2009
I'm not really into romance animes. But gentlemen, this one is simply amazing.

I was attracted by great piano music at first and I got attracted by the simple yet beautiful story revolving around Kousei and Kaori.

And damn, that ending... Made me cry manly tears. Even more than 12cm per second.

10/10 without any hesitation.
Mar 19, 2015 2:35 PM

Jan 2013
another tear jerking anime added to my list.... it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015 2:38 PM

Feb 2014
Japman said:
I need a hug

{Hug}
Mar 19, 2015 2:39 PM

Mar 2012
Ajunky said:
Additionally, as a pet peeve, Tsubaki never grew on me. With Nagi or Emi around, she seems to me like the worst match for Kousei... Which reminds me, I can see this turning into a harem anime if the story went on XD (So I'm grateful it ends here)
Nagi? Seriously, lol? But I agree. If the story continued it would be Arimamonogatari.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 19, 2015 2:39 PM
Jul 2018
Kinda sad he never got the chance to tell her his feelings and he only learned about hers afterwards.
Mar 19, 2015 2:40 PM
Dec 2014
Whats the ost at the end? When kousei is reading the letter ?
Mar 19, 2015 2:41 PM

Sep 2007
I didn't expect that. The title is pretty clever.

Mar 19, 2015 2:41 PM
Mar 2010
It's too much for me:( My tears can't stop flowing....
Mar 19, 2015 2:43 PM

Apr 2014
(T-T) Fuck....

What a beautiful ending that was

The tears won't stop

10/10 A-1 pictures you've done it again

Mar 19, 2015 2:43 PM

Jul 2013

FUCK THIS SHOW I LOVE IT BUT FUCK IT. IT'S A MASTERPIECE BUT ITS HORRIBLE. WHY IS DEATH EVEN A THING WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO

The best anime is the Road to El Dorado
Mar 19, 2015 2:44 PM

Oct 2010
I had to go somewhere and say something about this great series, and this episode. It was an amazing episode and a great series. My only issue was the way they did this episode. I really wanted to see the reaction of everyone that were watching Arima play. I had to go and look at the manga chapter and that chapter showed the reactions of everyone while he was still playing and the insane cheers when he finished. I kinda wish they did that with this episodes end.

Anyway, amazing series.

Btw, I wasn't expecting her to die either.
Mar 19, 2015 2:44 PM

Jun 2008
Damn it ; __ ;

Chibi Kaori was the cutest thing ever <3

I hope we get a ten years later OVA or something. I want to know what happens next.
Mar 19, 2015 2:45 PM

Dec 2014
It was beautiful. I really enjoyed watching it.

Kousei's final performance was stunning. Especially when he played with imaginary Kaori. It was so amazingly showed - their happiness and excitement, that they are playing together, but also Kousei's grief. He knows. He is aware, that she is leaving him, but he fights with this grief and smiles so bittersweetly, enjoying the moment. (Though I agree, that this scene with all this light and petals was exaggerated. It was... weird. In manga it was more subtle.) For me this was even more moving than the letter...

And regarding the letter. Kousei's bittersweet smile with teary eyes pulled my heartstrings. And then his peaceful face when he plays piano... So beautiful... And conversation with Kaori before she tells him she loves him. This would be perfect...

...if there wouldn't be scene with Tsubaki who kicks him and shouts that he won't be alone. Ugh... Okay, I understand that she has troubles dealing with emotions and is full-fledged tsundere. But what is friggin wrong with her?! Kousei knows her and he understands that she wants to comfort him, he is used to her behaviour. But damn, she has some serious mental problems. Or maybe that's how you comfort people and I just didn't know. Probably I should try to kick someone who is in grief and shout to them so they'll feel better... Yup, that's definitely great idea.

And to people comparing Tsubaki to Kaori. Please, stop. That's true, Kaori is also violent, but she can have actual conversation with Kousei. Without shouting, kicking, punching, running away etc.. There are only few scenes, when Tsubaki normally comforts Kousei - in the past, when they are small children. Maybe I've overlooked something, but that's how I see it. Okay, I've gotta stop ranting about Tsubaki.

So, back to the story. I like how it ended. I mean it's sad that Kaori died, but it was necessary for Kousei to overcome his trauma and grow as a musician. Magical recovery would be so cliché and it would ruin the point of this series.
Besides, we've already known that Kaori is dying:
In 3rd episode she goes to the hospital. In 4th she faints. In 5th she says: "So I've passed out again". Then, in 9th she goes to the bathroom and has a lot of medicine. In 11th her house is shown with grab bars in the corridor (like in hospital) and at the end of ep she says to Kousei, that she "won't always be around to help him". In 12th she doesn't show up at gala concert and in 13th is in the hospital with IV-drop. And then, to the last episode she stays in the hospital, mentioning death etc..
So to people saying her death was predictable - Really? You don't say. I must have missed something...

So making long story short - Kaori's death is hinted from the beginning. We are supposed to know that she is dying. That is the point of this story. Kousei is dealing with the past with the help of Kaori, who brings up memories of his mother. Shigatsu wa kimi no uso is about Kousei - how he grows as a musician. He is a pianist, but also young boy. There is friendship, first love, dealing with loss, thinking about future (choosing school) - just life.

This anime has vices, but I didn't watch it just to point them all out. I don't concentrate on this. I've watched this to see manga I like animated. To see lovely art. To listen to beautiful music, which is even more powerful, because is overfloving with emotions. I've learned some pieces of classical music I haven't heard. I laughed and cried. So with a clear conscience I can recommend this to everyone. 10/10
Mar 19, 2015 2:48 PM
Aug 2014
I finally cried for real this episode. First half was somewhat cliche (sorry) but honestly, that ending was just amazing. I'm a little disappointed that Kaori died, but then again I tend to like anime with main characters dying so I guess that's what makes this show so good. Too bad it couldn't be 26 episodes, because then I could get motivated for my piano competition more lol.
Mar 19, 2015 2:50 PM

Jan 2014
Deem feelz 10/10.
pRideeSep 22, 2016 6:18 PM
Mar 19, 2015 2:50 PM

Dec 2013
Well, they followed the manga to a T in the end. I liked that they didn't do some cop-out with some alternate ending. It was because of this canon ending that made the story so beautiful for me. The one mutual love of your life that was never meant to be. It's a really powerful message to send out.

Kousei, having suffered from the loss of his mother, the loss and subsequent rediscovery of his passion for music, grew strong enough that when life was giving him the same lemons as before, he was strong enough to face it on his own. He grew, he matured, he became stronger.

Ultimately Kousei was the one who set the stage for his own recovery, because it was his talent and his music at age 5 that affected so many of the people around him (Aiza, Nagi, Emi, Kaori) who would 10 years down the line end up changing his gloomy outlook on life and to allow him to find his own music and to stand on his own two feet again. Everything came full circle in the end, and even though the girl whom he wanted a relationship with most ended up a sad victim of circumstances, he'll live the rest of his life knowing that their feelings were mutual, if only for a year.

She's waltzed in like a hurricane and became an essential part of his recovery, of his young life, and for sure he'll remember her for the rest of his life. She's the symbol of the one that meant everything to him, was perfect for him, but was never meant to be with him.

I really do love everything about this show, including the "Romeo and Juliette"-esque tragedy of Kousei and Kaori's fate together.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Pages (24) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.