Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2015 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
_YG_ said:
I did already.. But they aren't best friends lol. I meant a deep bond of friendship :3

You want to see two best friends dying at the same time?

People like you make me sick. jks

In all seriousness though, that could happen for a future episode.
Two friends getting into a fatal accident together doesn't sound too improbable.
Jan 30, 2015 12:36 PM

Apr 2013
_YG_ said:
The woman was sent to hell only because if you compare her sins to Yousuke... there obviously is a big difference

I would like to know kind of scale was (and you) used to pint point the difference in their sins.

not that I cried in this episode or something.... although at some point I hoped that they actually had a chance to be granted the wish of going back to life. mmmm foolish

and I am always happy listening to that ending, I hope for a full version.
Jan 30, 2015 12:37 PM

Jan 2014
Hikarusuke said:
BenMS said:

I guess he meant to say both had done well by laying bare their actions and reasonings, thus their true souls. Not complimenting on what they are or how they did in life.

So your saying like they just lived their life and just dealt with the outcome? I can understand that a lil but I still think she should have gotten a second chance especially her kids.

What second chance? There is not coming back, she would never see her children again either way even she got reincarnate she would be a new individual without the memories of her past life

"When /a/ sends its fags, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you.
They’re sending fags that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to us.
They’re bringing cancer. They’re bringing bait. They’re shitposters.
And some, I assume, are good fags."
-@Xinil
Jan 30, 2015 12:37 PM

Jun 2014
this was amazing, i even got teary eyes
:3
Jan 30, 2015 12:41 PM

Mar 2013
_YG_ said:
The woman was sent to hell only because if you compare her sins to Yousuke... there obviously is a big difference

Yes there is a difference, but like another poster said I believe this system doesn't weigh each person's sins against each other. The arbiter makes the verdict based on the darkness of their individual souls, not how that darkness compares to the other person.
Jan 30, 2015 12:42 PM

Apr 2011
InstaKiller said:
Hikarusuke said:

So your saying like they just lived their life and just dealt with the outcome? I can understand that a lil but I still think she should have gotten a second chance especially her kids.

What second chance? There is not coming back, she would never see her children again either way even she got reincarnate she would be a new individual without the memories of her past life

Your right I forget about the whole incarnation ruling. But at least a second chance at life has someone else would have been fine.
Jan 30, 2015 12:46 PM

Sep 2014
Ohh most emotional episode so far... Still waiting for other characters to show up :l
Jan 30, 2015 12:46 PM

Dec 2014
Tokoya said:
Ramkec said:
It seems as Decim's judging is getting shitty again, even tho the little boss girl warned him about this a couple of episodes earlier.

No way the woman was supposed to be sent to hell, and the otaku fucker got the heaven spot, who killed himself out of nothing.

Decim fucked up again.
In a sense, yes he had no reason to kill himself, but as we all saw, his mother not only abused him but she completely neglected and eventually abandoned him as well

Hearing your mom not only say that she wishes you weren't born but to mean every word of it can really fuck up someone and he was a little boy too when this happened

Depression is a serious thing and I don't condone suicide at all but a child should never have to go through that....I just wish that he could have seen that somebody did love him before he ended his life

This, people saying he was useless to society don't understand depression. He may have had time to become a working man, but the woman if still alive, would be still taking advantage of her children. aka. If both were alive the otaku could have grown, or stayed the same and not hurt anyone... but the woman would still abuse her children for fame, and thus hurting them and others like her manager more and more.
Jan 30, 2015 12:57 PM
Aug 2010
Regret really is always at the end. I believe both of them got the best outcome of their judgement. Remember that reincarnation and void do not translate to heaven and hell nor the good and bad. I was quite touched by the fact that Decim told them that "they did their best" despite the circumstances they endured in their past life. For me, the otaku needs a second chance simply because he didn't live his life out to the fullest and maybe he can learn something on his next one whereas the mother has done enough and "needs a rest" for all her terrible experiences in life.
Jan 30, 2015 12:57 PM

Dec 2013
Good episode. Finally, as good as the first ep.
4 episodes in, time to start forming an opinion. Its episodic nature is kinda giving its signs already. It's not as exciting as most of psychologicals, no cliffhangers. I'm not saying it's bad because that would be a lie but I expected something more.
6/10, AoTS so far
Jan 30, 2015 12:58 PM

Nov 2013
This show is getting intense
Jan 30, 2015 12:59 PM

Dec 2013
Wow that was intense. Loved how it kept going back and forth.

Felt mind of bad for Misaki being sent to the void. Not sure if it was the right decision considering that Yousuke committed suicide.
Jan 30, 2015 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Yousuke was sent for reincarnation. Misaki was sent to void.

I really like how Decim hugged both of them!
Jan 30, 2015 1:07 PM

Oct 2011
I'm a bit conflicted regarding the result of the episode.

I feel like both of them made bad decisions, but only Yosuke was wasting the gift of life, whereas Misaki, while doing so in the wrong way, was trying to make the most of her life.

It's hard thing to quantify, and even harder to compare.

Yosuke had everything, but rejected it and commited suicide, forfeiting his life.
Misaki had nearly everything in her life taken from her or taken out of her hands (Abused, made pregnant multiple times), but decided to keep living a flawed life.

Another parallel that could be drawn between them is the fact that Yosuke had a mother that hated him, then a stepmother that loved him, whereas Misaki was a Mother that loved her children despite the fact she was a bad mother.

Super complicated, I almost cried when they expressed their despair at being dead.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Jan 30, 2015 1:08 PM

Nov 2013
I wish I could feel what you guys feel while watching this anime. I laughed at the nerd's flashbacks because there was 0 effort put into his backstory.
Decim finally realized that the system is shit. Took him long enough. I hope the show will finally focus on the protagonists and that we get some character development.
Jan 30, 2015 1:09 PM

Sep 2012
Sloots gonna sloot.
No wonder her manager killed her. No one wants to deal with her shit.
Oh god who are you people?
Jan 30, 2015 1:11 PM

Nov 2012
And then theyyyy..... Wait what!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2015 1:12 PM

Feb 2014
Quite the emotional episode. Glad the guy went to heaven, and it doesn't really bother me the woman went to hell. She only cared about the kids, and no matter how emotional she was about them in the end, she didn't reflect on her relationship with her manager, and (probably) other people.
Jan 30, 2015 1:15 PM

Apr 2013
pretty intense episode
Jan 30, 2015 1:18 PM

Nov 2013
Oh man that woman annoyed me. I thought after slamming his head repeatedly and 'seeing the error' of her action she'd sit at his arcade and KO her own character for great justice.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 30, 2015 1:19 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
BenMS said:

I wouldn't give her a second chance based on her kids - I'd rather base it on the abuse she suffered and which broke her as a person.
It's a difficult situation with her. If she had only suffered the abuse, she would have gone to the reincarnation cycle even if her kids weren't happy with her partially.
However, she mistreats others too - and that makes this such an damned decision. While I personally have the impression Decim made the right choice, on the other hand I can certainly see why others say she should have gotten a second chance.

I agree with you. This was a really complicated decision, I think especially for the woman and the circumstances she went through. I think ultimately the arbiters might make the decision based on their soul (okay yes this much was obvious), but I meant something along the lines of what Nona said in the second episode. She believed that Takashi should've gone to the void because he will always be the type of person who mistrusts. And I guess in this case, Misaki will always have that predisposition of being violent towards others. But I guess that begs the question if a person's soul will dictate how the person will be after reincarnation. Or I could be thinking too much haha. Anyways, Misaki did get the bad end of the stick throughout her life due to terrible and abusive relationships, but in the end, I feel like she clung to her children because they were going to be the only ones she had left, and the younger ones especially will still have unconditional love for her.

Both characters at the end made me cry though, it's heartbreaking to see them regret things. They wouldn't know what they were doing wrong though I don't think unless the died, or it would might take them forever to get to this point. I liked this episode because rather about romance, these two people's stories were about family. I'm glad that in the end Yousuke realized that he couldn't even grant one wish for his step mother, and he asked why did he commit suicide. That was a really emotional part. And of course, the Decim hug. It was too surprising considering the OVA, but still touching.

Anyways, looking forward to the next episode. I've been wanting to see more of the other characters too. And I'm liking the diversity in the next two characters.
Jan 30, 2015 1:20 PM

May 2014
i'm just glad i didn't try to slit my wrists this episode ....
[spoiler]
annnnddd there's a kid in the preview ......... x_x
Jan 30, 2015 1:22 PM

Nov 2012
Honestly, I think they should of both gone to hell. What I don't understand is the people who said the woman had it worse, the guy since being a child was hated by his mother and he had no part in the abuse he received. The woman was a teenager with a fully functioning brain and will and WILLING got involved with some dude from what we saw she barely knew having sex unprotected and grew up to marry him, and then as an adult continued to hook up with abusive partners-I don't think that can be a coincidence, she must like living on the wild side with such people instead of learning her lesson-. Actually, come to think of it, she's a worse human than the guy, just because you got abused doesn't mean it's okay to abuse others psychically and as their employer.

Still, the guy was pathetic and I can't feel sorry for him, killing yourself and being all grumpy all the time just because your mother didn't love you and your parents got divorce is weak, should of just manned up at least his dad tolerated. And hey, he didn't have to call that woman his momma if that's his choice, but killing yourself? Come on, you already lived up to like 20 something, suicide is on some teen shit.
Jaywalker.
Jan 30, 2015 1:22 PM

May 2013
Oh my Lord that was hilarious.
Jan 30, 2015 1:23 PM

Nov 2013
Epicenter said:
Come on, you already lived up to like 20 something, suicide is on some teen shit.

404 empathy not found
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 30, 2015 1:25 PM

Mar 2013
Vexper said:
Epicenter said:
Come on, you already lived up to like 20 something, suicide is on some teen shit.

404 empathy not found

Equating depression to "grumpy time". Ok.
Jan 30, 2015 1:27 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
well the woman was a bitch alright
Jan 30, 2015 1:27 PM

May 2014
Epicenter said:
Honestly, I think they should of both gone to hell. What I don't understand is the people who said the woman had it worse, the guy since being a child was hated by his mother and he had no part in the abuse he received. The woman was a teenager with a fully functioning brain and will and WILLING got involved with some dude from what we saw she barely knew having sex unprotected and grew up to marry him, and then as an adult continued to hook up with abusive partners-I don't think that can be a coincidence, she must like living on the wild side with such people instead of learning her lesson-. Actually, come to think of it, she's a worse human than the guy, just because you got abused doesn't mean it's okay to abuse others psychically and as their employer.

[b]Still, the guy was pathetic and I can't feel sorry for him, killing yourself and being all grumpy all the time just because your mother didn't love you and your parents got divorce is weak, should of just manned up at least his dad tolerated. And hey, he didn't have to call that woman his momma if that's his choice, but killing yourself? Come on, you already lived up to like 20 something, suicide is on some teen shit.
[/b]

LOL ....... yea it's easy to judge without ACTUALLY going through the experience
Jan 30, 2015 1:28 PM
Aug 2010
People might be underestimating Yousuke situation. Having family issues can degrade your psychological and emotional stability. Of course the same applies to Misaki. It's too bad no one did reach and help them. But focusing on the otaku side, for a child to undergo tough situation like that is hard. It broke the life out of him and resulted to becoming apathetic to all his surrounding. He even succumbed to games to escape reality. As days past on, I'm pretty sure he felt that this world is boring and uneventful, that there really is nothing worth to live on so he decided to commit suicide. Feeling worthless is worst thing to happen to anybody.
Jan 30, 2015 1:30 PM

Nov 2013
Wow the end made me cry :o I was expecting Misaki to get reincarnation but maybe the void was the right choice. I feel bad for Yousuke, i think if he had lived he would have understood that he had a good family. Depression sucks :(

Jan 30, 2015 1:30 PM

Nov 2012
Vexper said:
Epicenter said:

404 empathy not found

I'm just saying, he already lived through the period where his parents affection and concerns mattered the most, all he had to do was tough it out a bit more until he got enough money to move out and then he'd be able to live the next stage of his life even if he didn't want to call that new chick momma, nor would he have to see his dad with another woman and like I said he wouldn't need his mothers affection as compared to a teen and child would. To me its like going through hell, and then offing yourself when you get out of that hell when the worst is behind you.
Jaywalker.
Jan 30, 2015 1:32 PM

Jul 2010
So...it doesn't matter who had worse life, it's all about how big darkness inside your heart is.It's really harsh, because worse life most of times creates bigger darkness inside of people.Just like woman and Decim said, life is unfair, but that's just how it is...and well...to be honest i can see why the woman deserved going into void more than guy.Again, it's a harsh ''reality''.
When guy asked himself ''Why did i commit suicide'', thats when feels really caught me and i got hella teary eyed.Sigh.
Great episode, looking forward to next one.Wish the series was 2 cour tho.
Jan 30, 2015 1:33 PM

Jan 2015
One thing that REALLY bothered me was how that bitch Misaski slammed Yousuke's head to the machine. Why the ever loving fuck would he allow that to happen to him? He should have overpowered her and pushed her to the side.

What kind of stupid logic is that?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2015 1:33 PM
Jan 2015
I don't think this episode was clear enough to people for them to know why one person went to one place.
I think because although they both held regret, Yousuke questioned why he even did what he did in the first place and thought about his mom wishing he could have just called her "mommy" for once. He realized and acknowledged a point in his life where he could have been a better person to someone else. Whereas although Misaki wanted to be with her children, she showed no remorse for the way she treated her manager and the people around her. All she cared about was what she lost, but not what she actually had done.
Jan 30, 2015 1:36 PM

May 2014
how i see it:
the kid got reincarnated because he regretted not giving his mom her simple wish even AFTER discovering he died by suicide (selflessness).
the woman regretted not being able to live her newly found happy life (selfishness) instead of regretting treating her assistant like a mule, she might think it's justified because of her hard life but i doubt that Decim felt the same way, inflicting pain on others just to make yourself feel superior/better is a bad quality and hence he send her to hell.
Jan 30, 2015 1:37 PM
Dec 2010
Epicenter said:

Still, the guy was pathetic and I can't feel sorry for him, killing yourself and being all grumpy all the time just because your mother didn't love you and your parents got divorce is weak, should of just manned up at least his dad tolerated. And hey, he didn't have to call that woman his momma if that's his choice, but killing yourself? Come on, you already lived up to like 20 something, suicide is on some teen shit.

to be fair teens and people from 20-22 can still go through equal harmonal changes that affect you mentally.
blaze it
Jan 30, 2015 1:37 PM

Oct 2014
This episode was powerful..It was so deep and intense at the same time. Loving this anime and looking forward to more.

Jan 30, 2015 1:38 PM
Dec 2010
BenMS said:
Quite the episode.
The 'nerd' made wrong choices, but he didn't harm anyone directly although his communication with his mother should really have been better. He seemed more an victim of the circumstances despite his suicide.
The 'showbiz star' was complicated - she cared deeply for her children, but I have the impression not all the children cared for her. Also, her treatment of employees is quite unforgiving. While it's certainly an situation people can recognize, I felt more for the story of the 'nerd' then for her story due to her treatment of others.
I guess it's fair this judgment.

Edit: I also guess the reason she went to the Void and he to reincarnation is that he really felt sorry for this he (mildly) had hurt in his life by his behaviour, while the showbiz star only cared for something she now had lost and didn't feel any emotion over her treatment of others. She sure had it hard, but I guess she showed the wrong kind of reflection. But just my guess.

"but he didn't harm anyone" Yeah he didn't harm anyone with his suicide right? I'm sure his father and step mother are just fine!
blaze it
Jan 30, 2015 1:39 PM

May 2014
but tbh, i can see this getting really old really quick, hope they mix it up a bit ... i hardly doubt it though :|
Jan 2015
WAD1992 said:
how i see it:
the kid got reincarnated because he regretted not giving his mom her simple wish even AFTER discovering he died by suicide (selflessness).
the woman regretted not being able to live her newly found happy life (selfishness) instead of regretting treating her assistant like a mule, she might think it's justified because of her hard life but i doubt that Decim felt the same way, inflicting pain on others just to make yourself feel superior/better is a bad quality and hence he send her to hell.

This.
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm wondering if this show will surprise us further down the line with the decisions that Decim is making being called into question and having some sort of consequence. Being a judge is no easy thing to begin with, and I thought that the way he manipulated the game was rather cruel.

Personally ( and I love that different people have different takes on it. Shows that the series is no lightweight) I think Decim made the wrong decision. The woman, for all her faults, violent temper and manipulative tendencies was murdered. The man gave up on life. For that alone I would have given her another chance instead of him.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 30, 2015 1:41 PM

May 2014
koolvid said:
BenMS said:
Quite the episode.
The 'nerd' made wrong choices, but he didn't harm anyone directly although his communication with his mother should really have been better. He seemed more an victim of the circumstances despite his suicide.
The 'showbiz star' was complicated - she cared deeply for her children, but I have the impression not all the children cared for her. Also, her treatment of employees is quite unforgiving. While it's certainly an situation people can recognize, I felt more for the story of the 'nerd' then for her story due to her treatment of others.
I guess it's fair this judgment.

Edit: I also guess the reason she went to the Void and he to reincarnation is that he really felt sorry for this he (mildly) had hurt in his life by his behaviour, while the showbiz star only cared for something she now had lost and didn't feel any emotion over her treatment of others. She sure had it hard, but I guess she showed the wrong kind of reflection. But just my guess.

"but he didn't harm anyone" Yeah he didn't harm anyone with his suicide right? I'm sure his father and step mother are just fine!

he did regret his suicide for the "right reasons" unlike the woman who regretted her death because she only wanted another shot on life.

Nov 2013
Epicenter said:
Vexper said:

404 empathy not found

I'm just saying, he already lived through the period where his parents affection and concerns mattered the most, all he had to do was tough it out a bit more until he got enough money to move out and then he'd be able to live the next stage of his life even if he didn't want to call that new chick momma, nor would he have to see his dad with another woman and like I said he wouldn't need his mothers affection as compared to a teen and child would. To me its like going through hell, and then offing yourself when you get out of that hell when the worst is behind you.

I think you guys should stop pretending that he was actually a character. There's nothing to talk about.

Nov 2012
koolvid said:
Epicenter said:

to be fair teens and people from 20-22 can still go through equal harmonal changes that affect you mentally.

-Troll face- But he was 24. Kidding, I know that's just a technicality and I get what you're saying, but honestly I feel like he could of did a lot better with himself and been stronger, to me it seemed like his best days were just on the horizon where he could leave it all behind.
Jaywalker.
Jan 30, 2015 1:43 PM

May 2014
Farabeuf said:
I'm wondering if this show will surprise us further down the line with the decisions that Decim is making being called into question and having some sort of consequence. Being a judge is no easy thing to begin with, and I thought that the way he manipulated the game was rather cruel.

Personally ( and I love that different people have different takes on it. Shows that the series is no lightweight) I think Decim made the wrong decision. The woman, for all her faults, violent temper and manipulative tendencies was murdered. The man gave up on life. For that alone I would have given her another chance instead of him.

one thing is absolute and 1000% accurate about this show is that
IT SUCKS TO BE IN THOSE GIANT ASS SHOES!!
Jan 30, 2015 1:44 PM

Aug 2014
That was a great episode. I hope the woman enjoys her stay in hell.

Also, next episode looks good it seems we might get to meet more arbiters
đź—ż

I am easily entertained.

Jan 30, 2015 1:45 PM

Nov 2012
kokusho36 said:
Epicenter said:

I think you guys should stop pretending that he was actually a character. There's nothing to talk about.

Not a character? I don't catch your drift.
Jaywalker.
Jan 30, 2015 1:45 PM

Jun 2014
It always makes me hurt inside whenever I see a woman get physically hit, even if it was justified.

At the end, sometimes just a simple pat on the back is enough to tell someone that they can keep living.

Jan 30, 2015 1:46 PM

May 2014
WAD1992 said:
how i see it:

Thank you! You expressed what almost all of us were thinking but couldn't put into words.
Jan 30, 2015 1:57 PM

Nov 2012
Decim hugging the two "You've done well." ;____;
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

597 by Seraschi »»
May 1, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.