Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 24, 2015 5:45 AM

Aug 2014
A lovely date between two old friends, it was sad but a kinda memorable :)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jan 24, 2015 5:50 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Sarma said:
Before the mention of plastic surgery I first thought the guys were whispering about her getting pregnant and having an abortion in high school or something.. It would have been interesting to see if something like that would have affected the judgment in any way. o.o Plastic surgery didn't feel like much of a "reveal" in comparison, especially considering that she was a cute girl to begin with as opposed to being very unusual looking to the point of being bullied at school. Or her being a dude.

... I don't know, a cute episode but I do think it could have been more interesting.
I thought that the guy told him that she was a slut or something lol. I didn't see the plastic surgery reveal coming at all

But that would have been quite something if she turned out to be a guy xD
Jan 24, 2015 5:51 AM

Aug 2011
Oh, so it doesn't have to be Hell/Heaven. That's good to know.
I expected something worse, but it didn't happen. Like one of them being 'the bad guy'.
I loved the interaction between Decim and Onna~
Jan 24, 2015 6:02 AM

Mar 2013
Thanks we got a happy ending
IMO she was already cute befrore the operation.
Jan 24, 2015 6:05 AM
Nov 2014
Could someone explain this to me: what was the drama with that girl? I might be missing something because of awful russian subs or just because it was all planned to miss the point of the episode and expain it later, but the only thing I understood is that she got plastic surgery to appeal to him. Is that all? I believe there must be more drama. Either I missed it or they'll tell us something interesting next episode.
While watching, I was thinking that she might be engaged in killing people that are somehow connected to him, lol.
Jan 24, 2015 6:05 AM

Jan 2008
Tokoya said:
I thought that the guy told him that she was a slut or something lol. I didn't see the plastic surgery reveal coming at all

I know right, him accepting her(..him) regardless would have had so much more impact! XD

tiper said:
Could someone explain this to me: what was the drama with that girl? I might be missing something because of awful russian subs or just because it was all planned to miss the point of the episode and expain it later, but the only thing I understood is that she got plastic surgery to appeal to him. Is that all? I believe there must be more drama. Either I missed it or they'll tell us something interesting next episode.
While watching, I was thinking that she might be engaged in killing people that are somehow connected to him, lol.

That was all there was to it, really. I expected more as well. @_@
Jan 24, 2015 6:10 AM
Apr 2013
I totally thought she was trans and used to be a guy.
Jan 24, 2015 6:12 AM
Nov 2014
Sarma said:

That was all there was to it, really. I expected more as well. @_@

I'm a lil' bit disappointed, then. Both of the characters will reincarnate and that's cool, but what ain't cool is that I haven't gotten a good story to watch.
Jan 24, 2015 6:21 AM

Sep 2014
Shit man, this was a pretty feelsy episode. ;-;
I had a doubt that she wasn't the girl Shigeru thought during the girl's second flashback. Overall, great episode. Next week's Death Arcade seems to be interesting. Let's see how that goes.
Jan 24, 2015 6:26 AM

Dec 2014
guess not all will end up to 'void' or hell. oh well that was great! they both end up to 'reincarnate'
Jan 24, 2015 6:32 AM

Jun 2014
I may be the only one here who dislikes this series. I hate dropping stuff so I hope this gets better.
Will give it one more episode.
Jan 24, 2015 6:39 AM

Nov 2012
I knew it I knew it that they both will be sent for reincarnation :')
Jan 24, 2015 7:04 AM

Feb 2014
Great episode, something that was actually nice for once.

Just as Decim and Onna said, life is a mystery, but that's what makes it great because you never know what will happen next.

Mai and Shigeru both knew the truth, but they enjoyed themselves despite the fact. Truly a touching episode and it showed just what people will do once they're desperate (Mai changed her whole face to get attention from Shigeru ), but Shigeru was a man and just accepted her. While in the real world their relationship would have been more complicated, but in afterlife none of that stuff mattered. Now they can be just two individuals and enjoy themselves, without the fears of the real world.

I'm glad both of them got reincarnated.

Also did anyone notice the change in the title? There's no "Death" in it, it was called "Rolling Ballade", which makes me think that only episodes with "Death" in them is when someone will be sent to the void/will have a more depressing tone.
Jan 24, 2015 7:11 AM

Feb 2014
tiper said:

Well it's the fact that she was desperate to get his attention that she went to the extreme of plastic surgery because she wasn't happy with herself. That to me is pretty dramatic, I don't don't about you guys.

In the real world, Shigeru probably only saw her as a friend and never even thought of being with her and that sucks being in the friendzone. Whether you're a guy or girl, the friendzone blows no matter what. But she felt so down about it and disliked her appearance, and because of it, so she changed herself.

I think this is equally effective if she was a guy or whatever, she changed her appearance to get noticed is the bottom line. That's a pretty big and dramatic action and that's why it at least struck me as a powerful message.
Jan 24, 2015 7:18 AM

Oct 2013
this ep was so healing for a change. it was such a sweet date also. this bowling game was enjoyable with both enjoying their last moments together.
Jan 24, 2015 7:20 AM

Nov 2009
I'm not liking the TV series as much as I liked the OVA. Too many ruling related things got screwed. The first was that Decim, who was supposed to be a deity who can't make mistakes with his judgements, made a grave mistake with his ruling in ep 1. And now the rule that only one of the two persons tested can go to Heaven while the other has to go to Hell got screwed to Hell as well. With all that, the world of the series lost that absolute and divine feel it had in the OVA, and I don't like it.

Ah, and one more thing: why the dead are always a guy and a girl, and always pretty young? The OVA proved that watching two males, one of which is an old man, battle it out can be no less, if not far more, entertaining than watching a male and a female tiptoe around each other.

tiper said:
I might be missing something because of awful russian subs
Why the hell are you watching it with some shitty russian subs if you can read and understand English?
CGJan 24, 2015 7:34 AM
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 24, 2015 8:02 AM

Apr 2013
Tokoya said:
Sarma said:
Before the mention of plastic surgery I first thought the guys were whispering about her getting pregnant and having an abortion in high school or something.. It would have been interesting to see if something like that would have affected the judgment in any way. o.o Plastic surgery didn't feel like much of a "reveal" in comparison, especially considering that she was a cute girl to begin with as opposed to being very unusual looking to the point of being bullied at school. Or her being a dude.

... I don't know, a cute episode but I do think it could have been more interesting.

lolol also thought they told him she was a slut or something~

Great episode, dem feels~~~ Such a honest and adorable couple, both of them undoubtedly deserve to go to reincarnation.
Jan 24, 2015 8:29 AM

Feb 2014
Call me unromantic but I didn't enjoyed this episode at all. So what if she got plastic surgery to look like the girl moved away because she loved him? Am I supposed to feel moved? The girl was pretty normal to begin with, she wasn't ugly or anything. This episode is giving a weird message.

CG said:
I'm not liking the TV series as much as I liked the OVA. Too many ruling related things got screwed. The first was that Decim, who was supposed to be a deity who can't make mistakes with his judgements, made a grave mistake with his ruling in ep 1. And now the rule that only one of the two persons tested can go to Heaven while the other has to go to Hell got screwed to Hell as well. With all that, the world of the series lost that absolute and divine feel it had in the OVA, and I don't like it.

Ah, and one more thing: why the dead are always a guy and a girl, and always pretty young? The OVA proved that watching two males, one of which is an old man, battle it out can be no less, if not far more, entertaining than watching a male and a female tiptoe around each other.

My feelings exactly. Decim had a more concrete and indomitable character in the OVA. Now we're told he's just one of the many arbitrators and apparently there is a green-haired girl who is ranked higher than him in position. (And maybe my memory is hazy, but his secretary acts more like his boss in this series compared to the OVA). Where did Decim's mysterious aura go?!

Also, is it necessary for the dead to always know each other, have a unpleasant past, and be of the opposite gender? Can't they create a mystery without any of these niches?

I really hope this gets better later on because I was expecting a lot more from this series.
furuyaaJan 24, 2015 8:38 AM
Jan 24, 2015 8:29 AM

Jan 2013
I'm so glad that both were reincarnated and didn't play against each other. But it's also sad that both didn't know that she wasn't Chisato. Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Jan 24, 2015 8:30 AM

Feb 2013
I hope how the assistant was calling out numbers was intentional, that she's still pretty fresh to the job. This was very pleasant but I want to know moreee about the workings of Quindecim. I like the interaction between Decim and her a lot though.
Jan 24, 2015 8:37 AM

Apr 2014
Why are the dead always a guy and a girl?

ovella said:
Also, is it necessary for the dead to always know each other, have a unpleasant past, and be of the opposite gender? Can't they create a mystery without any of these niches?

Exactly I expected the third episode to be similar to the OVA but ehh what a letdown.
Jan 24, 2015 8:45 AM

Dec 2008
Great episode, i liked the interaction between Decim and the assistant :)

Wieeeeeeee...
Jan 24, 2015 9:17 AM

Nov 2013
This is just simply so fantastic. I wonder if both of them will be reincarnated then, although as we can see now that's not even the point of the anime, but more so to see the different levels of degrees in human emotions. I agree that this episode was also a nice change from the past more thrilling episodes; this one is just romance all over.
Also, I wonder if we will see more, not just interactions but some unexpected twists between the main characters (who knows if they knew each other some time before as well?).

Z4k said:
Why are the dead always a guy and a girl?

ovella said:

Exactly I expected the third episode to be similar to the OVA but ehh what a letdown.

The series is different from the movie; it is not a sequel, prequel or any type of continuation. It is an alternative settings with different rules. Here we only have couples, as opposed to Death Billiards, which is why it is always a man and a woman who previously knew each other.
Jan 24, 2015 9:23 AM

Jan 2011
Aw yess... a happy ending.

Initially I was like wondering how they were going to go against each other then I was like... Noooo~ I dun want either of them to go to the void. Glad that it all ended well. That plot twist though.
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Jan 24, 2015 9:26 AM

Apr 2008
I'd like to own a bar similar to Quindecim, in design and atmosphere not function.
Jan 24, 2015 9:51 AM
Aug 2013
So sad q.q
Jan 24, 2015 10:01 AM

Apr 2012
i was bracing myself for things to go downhill and they never did. i'm glad, this was a good episode.
but since both can get reincarnated, does that mean both parties can be sent to the void? i really hope one episode shows both going to the void.
Jan 24, 2015 10:33 AM

Mar 2011
I don't know... that episode wasn't good at all imo. Was that supposed to be sweet? Meh.
Jan 24, 2015 10:37 AM

Dec 2013
MY HEART.

But seriously. Great episode. I like that they showed that both can be reincarnated. It makes sense. Good choice by the writers. I'm impressed with how this show went from being kind of disturbing to being able to evoke a lot of touching emotions and such. It's a nice variety so far.

Excited for next week!
Jan 24, 2015 10:44 AM

Mar 2013
Those whispering moments were misleading.
Plastic surgery was not what I expected.
Jan 24, 2015 10:47 AM

Mar 2013
I love this week episode and glad they went into the reincarnation. They deserve it. *cry*
And the ending animation with both Mai and Shigeru's date scene.
also glad it didn't have a big plot twist like before XD

And to Decim. No one will consider what you say as a joke with such a straight face XD
Jan 24, 2015 10:53 AM

Nov 2013
What an awesome episode! Best so far across all the things I'm watching this season. Left a pretty big smile on my face :>
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 24, 2015 11:12 AM

May 2013
Litrydow said:
P0K3Gaming said:
Same, it was an instant "It's a trap!" feeling for me.

WHEW, feels good not to be the only mentally ill person who thought that.

^Lol, this. We ain't mentally ill people if we all thought about it, haha.

Anyway, this is pretty heartwarming, quite a different feeling from Episode 1.
But just because it's different, it doesn't mean it's always bad.

Lol, Decim, breaking the mood with your joke. (^_^) At least they got their more-than-five-minutes date.
Pretty awesome how they both go to Heaven/get reincarnated.
Can't wait to see a game where both go to Hell/go to the void.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jan 24, 2015 11:26 AM

Jul 2013
While I think that getting a facial surgery for the guy might have been a tad too much, this episode was good enough that I didn't even mind it. I might even have shed a couple of tears for them since I'm weak like that, and Decim attempting a joke was hilarious. Really good episode overall.
UBW is basically a route about three tsunderes constantly bashing their heads against one another.
Jan 24, 2015 11:31 AM

Oct 2013
Hey Kami Sama desu, here's how we're gonna handle death. We're gonna have people die and arrive in a shady bar that we're gonna need to upgrade from time to time obviously, and put some incompetent dude in it to run this mindfuck I have planned.
We're gonna have people, wether they have led a good or bad life, arrive with amnesia and announce they will be playing a game on which their fucking life depends! Let's have the game hurt them or at least put some organs on display. What a hoot right?! Then we'll decide based on how they act during this game and their life memories too of course, whether they can go back to planet earth or if we'll destroy their soul. I'll let the judging up to mister incompetent entirely cause I got other shit to do. LOL wtf man. Seriously wtf. The wtf-factor is really overtaking the aww-ending of this episode.
Jan 24, 2015 11:36 AM

Aug 2011
Surprising ending; when it was implied there was something about Chisato's past, I was thinking prostitution or something. Wow... my mind was really in the gutter.

Great episode and I enjoyed the interaction between Decim and Onna. The opening OST is so upbeat; love it!
Jan 24, 2015 11:46 AM

Dec 2013
I was expecting the girl to be a transsexual
Jan 24, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2014
Nice to see both can be reincarnated, I was wondering about that.
Jan 24, 2015 1:53 PM

Feb 2014
It feels quite underwhelming. Whole time I was expecting some serious twist like the guy in bowling club whispered him she was a slut or a tranny or something similar. I didn't happen, they both were good well-behaved peopleand went to reincarnation.

To be honest I was bored.

GREAT ED
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jan 24, 2015 2:00 PM

Dec 2014
Beautiful episode, many tears were shed.
Jan 24, 2015 2:15 PM

Jul 2013
Loved the episode, it was heart-warming and breaking at the same time. Glad they both got reincarnated!
Jan 24, 2015 2:19 PM

Jun 2014
ohh lawd my feels
Jan 24, 2015 2:21 PM

Jan 2015
Decim pls

[I want Vi to appear so much, hopefully next week's episode]
Jan 24, 2015 2:48 PM

Jun 2014
This episode made me really happy. Too bad this will probably be the only episode with that outcome.

Now the girl that was added to the staff last episode to help explain the rules: it still hasnt told us whether or not she is dead. she seems to have normal eyes.
Jan 24, 2015 2:56 PM
Mar 2013
Objurgo said:
Look such a nice episode ^_^

exLightning said:

Well I could tell from the lights when the door closed they both went up but maybe it was something to do with the design of the elevator.

Look at the masks on top of the elevator from the end of episode one and the end of this episode

Thank you both! It took me a minute to notice the difference!
Jan 24, 2015 2:57 PM

Jul 2014
Super Cute couple!!!!
Jan 24, 2015 3:06 PM

Apr 2014
I kind of figured I had a good idea of where this was going after Episode 1 but I've been completely wrong so far.

What a light-hearted episode that, I have never been grabbed before by two supporting characters in a 24-minute span and been so sad at the outcome (And partially attached to the characters themselves).

Further, I was expecting some twist near the end of their game that would cause the whole scenario to turn ugly, but they definitely got me there too.

It's interesting that Mia realized what she was doing and seemed disappointed for it as she was sitting in the elevator, while on the other side, Shigeru had come to realize the fact that it was Mia (Even prior to the date), and was content with it. Kind of a cool contrast, yet somewhat warming.
Nop.
Jan 24, 2015 3:24 PM

Nov 2007
Fireego said:

That's the first thing I thought of too. It really opens up a lot of possibilities when the characters aren't shoehorned into "one's good, one's evil". Because of that, you can't really be sure what'll happen before they actually get in the elevators. The potential of both people being sent to the void is great.

BullSmit said:
I kind of figured I had a good idea of where this was going after Episode 1 but I've been completely wrong so far.

What a light-hearted episode that, I have never been grabbed before by two supporting characters in a 24-minute span and been so sad at the outcome (And partially attached to the characters themselves).

Further, I was expecting some twist near the end of their game that would cause the whole scenario to turn ugly, but they definitely got me there too.

Yeah, they could have really easily made every episode formulaic, I was expecting the same. That wouldn't require nearly as much thought or plot/character development. I've been pleasantly surprised by the fact they're making this series so interesting.

Also, the OP is still amazing. 10/10, will watch again.
Jan 24, 2015 3:32 PM

Oct 2012
This was sweet, another good episode. Though I guess even this time they could do without explanation as it was pretty obvious. By the way, notice how Onna grips her fist when seeing them going on date, I bet that will also be something significant in the future. I also liked that they both went up to reincarnation.

I was only baffled a bit by aftercredits scene which would imply that it was Mai who is still alive but I guess that was only bad translation. I guess. Cause from those flashback it wouldn't make sense other way.

Ima no Mai-san wa Chisato-san to miteru no kana?
Mich666Jan 24, 2015 3:42 PM
Jan 24, 2015 3:34 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Azrael_STX said:
Fireego said:

That's the first thing I thought of too. It really opens up a lot of possibilities when the characters aren't shoehorned into "one's good, one's evil". Because of that, you can't really be sure what'll happen before they actually get in the elevators. The potential of both people being sent to the void is great.

BullSmit said:

Yeah, they could have really easily made every episode formulaic, I was expecting the same. That wouldn't require nearly as much thought or plot/character development. I've been pleasantly surprised by the fact they're making this series so interesting.

Also, the OP is still amazing. 10/10, will watch again.

It's Madhouse. Obviously they know what they are doing, they wouldn't make it formulaic.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

597 by Seraschi »»
May 1, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.