Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 25, 2014 8:08 PM
Aug 2012
I'm only 5 episodes in and I am having real difficulty to keep watching.

Be warned, further down this almost turns into a rant, and it's all most certainly possibly nitpicking but it's really bothering me. I shouldn't have this much trouble watching a space show after coming from Planetes and Uchuu Kyodai(Space Brothers).

EDIT:
I should praise this show some however. The villains are interesting, I like fighter jets, and generally the visuals are really nice. It's not all bad despite how my rant bellow makes me feel about the show, but i'll again emphasize that the bellow does bother me.

Let's start of with our main character.
At one point we have these two guys stuck waiting on some planet for three weeks, then in the two episodes following, they suddenly have this big disagreement which leads to character plot dumps where the MC tells his friend about whatever and his friends tells him about his father...

ARE YOU TELLING ME THEY DIDN'T BOTHER TELLING EACH OTHER ABOUT THIS STUFF FOR 3 WEEKS OF ISOLATION?! I'll even take the liberty of assuming they've been friends for longer than that! Surely they've already discussed this! And their whole disagreement just comes off as forced to me.

At one point it's Earth is fucked, resources and life of any kind is kind of dead on the surface, the planet is still being bombed by fucking nukes, yet somehow they can still build and simultaneously camouflage a giant space cruiser.

Next thing you know he's a tactical officer, while only one episode back he crashed the squadron aces' fighter jet. Somehow crashing a jet earned him a promotion...? Certainly someone who acts like an impulsive child as soon as they have some negative emotion without even considering the consequences of their actions is qualified to lead an entire army force. You know, if your leader is undergoing serious emotional turmoil at the loss of his brother while vowing revenge, I'd not want to put my life in their hands. I mean where's the logic?! He didn't even bother to check if the jet had ammo loaded!

Next thing you know he comes up with convoluted plans like he's a natural genius, because ofcourse he does. His ability to do that was certainly what got him stuck for 3 weeks on wherever he was waiting for that chick to land.

Speaking of the squadron ace(I don't know his name), he is all over the place too. At one point he is mad when this chick who is an accountant, an important task in itself, just commandeers a fighter jet on her own despite being told to stay put. DO THEY REALLY NOT HAVE ANY FORM OF SECURITY IN THIS SHOW?! Fighter pilots can hardly strap in and launch the plane on their own without their CC and crew being present to do all those tasks, so how the fuck did she?! And how come this earns her a promotion as well? Well besides that rant, as I was saying, he was mad at this chick for obvious reasons. At first he's like "NO FUCKING WAY YOU'RE GETTING TRANSFERRED!" He even punches a hole in a locker to punctuate that statement! Needing to get his hand bandaged afterwards! But then someone is just like "Oh btw she saved us" and then he's all like "Okay fine" ... Like... Really? Consistency much?

The captain may value talent, sure, but know what's more important than talent in an organization? COMMAND STRUCTURE. There are rules and repercussions, but this show just seems to outright ignore them!

Speaking of their army, somehow they have knowledge about the aliens operations of terraforming Pluto and turning the planet into a base, they even have a location on their bases general location and even have a detailed plan of attack. The enemy may have a stealth system, sure, but apparently that doesn't stop them from pinpointing their location thanks to thermal scanning, I'd expect these aliens to have a way to counter our 200 year old scanning equipment by now.

I don't know if it's just because it's a remake of an original made in 1979 and is trying to make it as it was back then, but if so then the plot to me is really showing its age despite looking so fresh because the plot is causing me some serious head-scratching.
shurryyDec 25, 2014 8:18 PM
Dec 25, 2014 8:10 PM

Jul 2012
Drop it.

It's not like a space show, btw.
Dec 25, 2014 8:15 PM
Aug 2012
mayukachan said:
Drop it.

It's not like a space show, btw.

It's not?
Dec 25, 2014 8:17 PM
Apr 2013
You can drop it now since things get worse for this show from there on.
Dec 25, 2014 8:21 PM
Aug 2012
Huh.
Know what I think i'll just do that, I feel like I am just going to nitpick myself to death if I keep watching it. Thanks for the warning!

Need to find something else now... Sigh.
May 7, 2017 3:30 PM

Sep 2013
it must be one of those slow burners
im also 5 episodes in and nothing has happened
and i totally agree with what you said, everyone is doing whatever the fuck they want with 0 repercussions
main character is also plot armored.
Shit was like matrix when hes running out in the open while being shot and 0 hits
then 1 shot and the enemy is dead, lol.
then the girls like "thx for proctecting me, now i am in love" srs???? lol..
ive seen better romance development in harems

guess ill watch a bit more how could it get worse
Aug 31, 2017 3:17 AM
Feb 2009
AnimeHonor said:
it must be one of those slow burners
im also 5 episodes in and nothing has happened
and i totally agree with what you said, everyone is doing whatever the fuck they want with 0 repercussions
main character is also plot armored.
Shit was like matrix when hes running out in the open while being shot and 0 hits
then 1 shot and the enemy is dead, lol.
then the girls like "thx for proctecting me, now i am in love" srs???? lol..
ive seen better romance development in harems

guess ill watch a bit more how could it get worse

Did you finished it?
I'm at ep4 and the slowness is boring. It's also starting to piss me off with it's science/tech. It's so flawed.
Feb 2, 2022 11:49 AM
Jan 2021
It is one of those shows that get better by each episode. But I can relate to you early episodes are not that consistent. I even slept during (I think it was) ep 4. But in the end I liked the show as whole. though i think they rushed the plot in the end and Spoiler bringing yuki from death was total ass pull.

Edit:At first i was little disappointed that show took many ideas from star wars but then I realized the original show was aired in 1975 and it may be quite opposite star wars may have taken many ideas from Star Blazers.
Barry_Allen_14Feb 2, 2022 12:02 PM
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Jan 29, 2023 5:17 PM

Mar 2013
Barry_Allen_14 said:
It is one of those shows that get better by each episode. But I can relate to you early episodes are not that consistent. I even slept during (I think it was) ep 4. But in the end I liked the show as whole. though i think they rushed the plot in the end and Spoiler bringing yuki from death was total ass pull.
Edit:At first i was little disappointed that show took many ideas from star wars but then I realized the original show was aired in 1975 and it may be quite opposite star wars may have taken many ideas from Star Blazer

I am having the exact same problems with this show... really hope it gets better, the first episodes are really inconsistent
Feb 12, 10:37 PM
Jul 2009
Totally agree with you; just dropped it as well.

I can't comprehend the plot holes after the first two episodes, it is just too much. Just to add some more to the list:
- They are building this super secret, humanity saving, last hope space-ship and putting it onto the earths surface, that gets constantly bombarded? And they are camouflaging it with rust?
- In only 8 years they build all the cities, infrastructure underneath earth, while being attacked?

I can imagine that this series was kind of appealing 50 years ago, but nowadays this is just bad. 5/10, and only because of the music/ost and artstyle.
May 14, 1:57 PM

Aug 2013
I'm at episode 2 and I'm dying here, how it have 8.34 on MAL

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HybridMBL - Sep 29, 2013

176 by Maou_heika »»
Apr 18, 8:53 AM

» OP Singers of TV Airing ver.

tsubasalover - Mar 16, 2013

9 by Serhiyko »»
Mar 29, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HybridMBL - Sep 15, 2013

54 by Mailo91 »»
Mar 20, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

27CansOfTuna - Mar 10, 2013

59 by Merolae »»
Nov 21, 2023 2:37 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 9 Discussion

27CansOfTuna - Dec 2, 2012

39 by Rekuiemu »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.