Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 30, 2014 10:33 PM

Jun 2008
I'm rather surprised that in both the LN and the anime, Kirito uses Excaliber on his offhand. As a general rule in games, don't we usually equip our strongest sword in the dominant hand, since it usually is associated with less damage penalties? and if I remember correctly, in the LN, Excaliber was listed as the strongest ingame sword, with Gram the demon sword in second. So there was no reason why Kirito shouldn't equip Excaliber with his dom hand, and use the default sword forged by Liz with his offhand.
Nov 30, 2014 10:34 PM

Nov 2014
I have no idea
Nov 30, 2014 11:12 PM

Oct 2013
There is no ingame penalty for equipping two swords in ALO. Kirito is not using any official dual wield skill, he's only taking turn chaining the Sword Skills of the two swords.

As for the actual reason, it's because Kirito thinks that the Excalibur doesn't look as good as unnamed black longsword. Fashion Art Online.
Dec 1, 2014 12:24 AM

Jun 2008
Rinth said:
There is no ingame penalty for equipping two swords in ALO. Kirito is not using any official dual wield skill, he's only taking turn chaining the Sword Skills of the two swords.

As for the actual reason, it's because Kirito thinks that the Excalibur doesn't look as good as unnamed black longsword. Fashion Art Online.

Though it doesn't quite explain why he don't use excaliber as his primary sword when he dueled Yuuki, since I'd imagine the dps of excaliber would be vastly superior to the nameless sword he tots around~

Also, since Kirito's main chain in the LN and Anime is a 3 combo-skill chain, and since he starts the chain with his dom hand's nameless sword, he only end up using excaliber for one of the three combos; Wouldn't you agree that it'd be more damaging if he start the chain with excaliber instead? thus achieving a 3 chain with 2 of the combos dealt with excaliber.

That and Kirito said that he doesn't rely on skill-assists when he fight, which means he needs the degree of dexterity his dominant hand has to fight to his maximum potential. Even without a direct stat penalty, the indirect lack of dexterity of his offhand would definitely hurt Kirito's overall performance in contrast to if he kept his more damaging sword to his dominant hand instead.
Dec 1, 2014 7:20 AM
Apr 2014
Probably cause he's the "black swordsman" and a golden sword would be... kinda off.

Dunno, i would do the same, LOL

Or he probably doesn't use Dual Blades at all and wanted to keep Excaliber as a secret.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dec 1, 2014 8:22 AM

Jun 2012
Rinth said:
Fashion Art Online.
^this
When Im playing something with character customization I usually prefer how a weapon/armor looks over its stats.
Dec 1, 2014 6:01 PM

Oct 2013
zephiris said:
Rinth said:

Though it doesn't quite explain why he don't use excaliber as his primary sword when he dueled Yuuki, since I'd imagine the dps of excaliber would be vastly superior to the nameless sword he tots around~

Also, since Kirito's main chain in the LN and Anime is a 3 combo-skill chain, and since he starts the chain with his dom hand's nameless sword, he only end up using excaliber for one of the three combos; Wouldn't you agree that it'd be more damaging if he start the chain with excaliber instead? thus achieving a 3 chain with 2 of the combos dealt with excaliber.

That and Kirito said that he doesn't rely on skill-assists when he fight, which means he needs the degree of dexterity his dominant hand has to fight to his maximum potential. Even without a direct stat penalty, the indirect lack of dexterity of his offhand would definitely hurt Kirito's overall performance in contrast to if he kept his more damaging sword to his dominant hand instead.

Weapon stats are not very relevant in duels. It's more skill-based. A sword is going to kill you no matter how fancy it is.

Remember how Kirito killed off the Fire Salamander general in duel using some crappy sword he bought just off the market, when the general had the best weapon ingame (at the time).

ALO is different from SAO in that sense. You can't just stand still and let a bunch of people excavate you with swords simply due to high level & stats like Kirito did in "Black Swordsman" episode.
Dec 1, 2014 7:17 PM
Jul 2018
Rinth said:
zephiris said:

Weapon stats are not very relevant in duels. It's more skill-based. A sword is going to kill you no matter how fancy it is.

Remember how Kirito killed off the Fire Salamander general in duel using some crappy sword he bought just off the market, when the general had the best weapon ingame (at the time).

ALO is different from SAO in that sense. You can't just stand still and let a bunch of people excavate you with swords simply due to high level & stats like Kirito did in "Black Swordsman" episode.

Basically Tera, except alot more loose. But kinda like Tera.
Dec 1, 2014 7:26 PM
Apr 2014
Except that you can actually level up in ALO even if youre a solo player, Tera is a total pain after lvl 40.

Dec 2, 2014 4:37 AM

Oct 2013
Reyxe said:
Except that you can actually level up in ALO even if youre a solo player, Tera is a total pain after lvl 40.

There is actually no level in ALO though, remember? It's just skill levels for various weapons and spell types and player skill. The progression system is very similar to Elder Scrolls, minus the level ups.
Dec 2, 2014 4:45 AM
Apr 2014
Rinth said:
Reyxe said:

There is actually no level in ALO though, remember? It's just skill levels for various weapons and spell types and player skill. The progression system is very similar to Elder Scrolls, minus the level ups.

Yea, i know, just meant that soloing is viable in ALO, not in Tera

Dec 2, 2014 1:04 PM

Jun 2008
Rinth said:
Reyxe said:

But when he beat Eugene, remember that he was also using Leafa's sword, which given how long she should've played to rank up to be one of the Sylph's lieutenants, should have at least a mid-to-high tier sword, even if it is not legendary.
That and I recall Kirito more-or-less caught Eugene offguard in that match, and basically spammed attack...

Also I think you are confused with the way character conversion worked. Although there is no leveling system in ALO, converted characters still retain their stats from the previous game. After all, why else would Kirito's doubly converted main character start out with ungodly high level of STR in GGO that allowed him to equip the high-STR weapons and compete on par with other end-tier players?
The SEED games basically can cross-convert character between games, at the cost of acquired items and money - and from SAO, their level. However, converted characters retain their raw stats in form of AGI, STR, DEX, etc. which is why Kirito chose to convert instead of creating a new character in GGO.

Thinking back to Kirito's fight with Eugene, while Eugene had Gram (the second strongest sword in the game), Eugene only has been playing ALO for a few months, while Kirito has the stats of a player that had essentially played for two years. (However many levels in SAO x 3 stat points awarded per level) Therefore, whereas Eugene had the equipment advantage, Kirito did have a stats advantage, and the hundred additional str points certainly would've helped close the gap between the DPS of the weapons.

Its basically like a character with lets say 100 STR wielding the best weapon in the game vs a character with 200 STR using stock weapons, even the stock weapons can be deadly.
zephirisDec 2, 2014 1:08 PM
Dec 3, 2014 9:23 AM

Mar 2011
Because you're missing what the last episode has been saying the whole time and what Kirito implied against Oberon. "There's more fun to a game than that". Excalibur wouldn't make everything trivial, no, but it's still kind of like going through goldeneye with god mode on. It's important if there is a REAL risk, like in SAO/ALO, where losing would result in some very bad things. That' salso why he uses it when he helps Asuna and Yuuki. There is a reason to. Otherwise, if you are playing for fun, it's just stupid. He is not playing so that everyone will be here " HE'S THE STRONGEST!!". He is playing to have fun, unless there is an important thing to protect.

Also, depending of what you're trying to do, there is no point to it. If you are trying to see who is the strongest skill-wise, it's stupid to boast about winning if you are LESS skilled but have an expensive weapon because x. Think about all the games that have a cash shop. It's the same idea. Against Yuuki, the idea was "who is the strongest skill-wise". If you are just the strongest in duels because you have a stupid legendary weapon, that's not fair at all and you'll get your ass kicked if the opponent get excalibur too or if a better weapon is released. That's not skill. A "level 1" noob steamrolling everyone just because received a legendary weapon from a friend wouldn't prove anything about his own skill at all. That's the same as getting a job just because you were lucky enough to be brn in x family. and that's not very glorious.
Or why it is "useless" in "fair" duels. And once again, the last episode made a point about "this is not SAO, I'm don't need it to survive, I'm here for fun". Every SAO survivor have had enough of this stupid tension for long enough in SAO, it's not surprising that they don't want any of it anymore and care more about fun. Something some idiots MMO elitists tend to forget even in our reality...
Once again, he DOES use it if it's important, like buying time for friends. But that's because it is for his friends. Not for him and for fun.
Dec 3, 2014 9:34 AM

Aug 2014
Additionally, IIRC, he didn't want to use it for his own purposes because everyone was involved in helping him get it, so he said he'd only use it to help out everybody or something along those lines.
Dec 3, 2014 10:58 AM
Mar 2012
Also that promise to Sinon lol
Dec 3, 2014 11:02 AM
Apr 2014
LastChapter said:

Probably he knew that he needed to cut through some magic spells, so he thought about her while doing it [?

Dec 3, 2014 11:07 AM

Aug 2014
Reyxe said:
LastChapter said:

Probably he knew that he needed to cut through some magic spells, so he thought about her while doing it [?

He did pick up the ability thanks to GGO, so maybe?
Dec 3, 2014 6:22 PM
Oct 2012
Outside of the sound strategy of not showing how strong you are from the start (a la the Princess Bride), relying too much on Excaliber isn't the way that Kirito plays the game. It would take all the fun out of it for him.
Dec 5, 2014 2:30 AM

Jul 2014
About Kirito not using excalibur more often- the sao wiki article on excalibur said something about Kirito resolving to never use the sword for personal gain. Not sure how reliable this info is though.
Dec 5, 2014 5:30 AM
Apr 2014
noodlesandrice said:
About Kirito not using excalibur more often- the sao wiki article on excalibur said something about Kirito resolving to never use the sword for personal gain. Not sure how reliable this info is though.

Yea, he said that in LN, I think someone else posted it too a while ago~

Dec 6, 2014 1:29 PM

Jun 2008
Reyxe said:
noodlesandrice said:

Yea, he said that in LN, I think someone else posted it too a while ago~

But does that explain why he uses excaliber on his offhand? Whenever he does use it for a friend, he still uses it in his offhand. I do remember that the menu system wasn't convoluted enough for him to not be able to simply shift between the 2 slots and place the excaliber in his primary hand whenever he does decide to use it.
Dec 6, 2014 1:34 PM
Mar 2012
Kirito will always be a right-handed black sword user. When he duel wields in the future, even with different swords, his right hand will always hold the black one.
Dec 10, 2014 9:50 AM

Jun 2008
So from the sound of it, the general conclusion is simply that Kirito prefers form over function - such that vanity of having an entire black demeanor is more important to Kirito than the stats and special ability the legendary sword brings?
Dec 10, 2014 10:44 AM
Apr 2014
zephiris said:
So from the sound of it, the general conclusion is simply that Kirito prefers form over function - such that vanity of having an entire black demeanor is more important to Kirito than the stats and special ability the legendary sword brings?

Basically, yes.

It's Kirito anyway.

Dec 13, 2014 1:21 PM

Oct 2011
It makes sense to use the one you are familiar with in your strong hand over a sword you rarely use even if it is stronger. Though I doubt he would have any problem adapting to the other sword within a splitsecond, but he doesn't need to use the strongest weapon if he is the strongest even with the weakest weapon, does he?
Feb 1, 2015 3:09 PM
Jun 2009
noodlesandrice said:

Basically Kirito is shallow?
Oct 13, 2020 2:03 PM
Nov 2017
Ok so i read most of the stuff here. I wanna share my opinions and points.
Fashion art online - I agree that Excalibur looks bad on him when wearing all black black and gold dont always do well together.
Stat and comfort- Yes. Excalibur is strongest sword in a game and we all know kirito likes heavy swords. But because alo doesn't really have penalties it doesn't matter whether he uses main or offhand.Some of you claim that because its heavy it might make him uncomfortable using it offhand,but did any of you notice the sword he is using as main? Well duh obviously that was made by Lisbeth. But let's look back before he got Excalibur. He used twins that look completely different. That means after getting Excalibur he asked Liz to make him sword that would be extra heavy like Excalibur (if u don't understand why its cuz u should have balance obviously when dual wielding) so i think it wouldn't matther if he used either of them offhand cuz they are about same weight.
Skill used to cut spells-if i remember correctly it's kirito's original sword skill called deadly sins(7-hit combo). when you have great reaction times u can attempt to make your own SSs. Because it's his own original he can use it with any sword so he doesn't care.
Kirito's personal view- Kirito since SAO times doesn't like being center of attention. Because of the events in first floor dungeon where he took the blame for all beta testers so to avoid witch hunts. Even before he was antisocial (Even leaving Klein behind) which was the main reason why he didn't wanna use Excalibur. another reason was because he really did wanna just have fun. Which is why as Asuna and Lis confirmed, he won't fight for real until virtual is not virtual anymore.
I really read everything and played every game till now so I'm confident i can fill almost every plothole or "wth how" moments. So my contact info is below and I will try to answer or explain if i can. Even though SAO was made by guy that supposedly doesn't know much about games i found my own ways to explain lot of things.

email: koblih161@gmail.com
Line: kurayami.no.kenshi

I'd give more but i use mainly these
True_YandereOct 13, 2020 2:11 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 27, 2014

611 by Bruh69XD »»
May 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

546 by amf85 »»
Apr 30, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2014

432 by amf85 »»
Apr 29, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

286 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 6, 2014

418 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 3:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.