Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kagerou Daze (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 28, 2014 11:51 PM

Sep 2014
I thought it was amazing, but the MAL rating says otherwise
The world is not beautiful - and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty.
-Kino, Kino's Journey

My Anime List- http://myanimelist.net/animelist/zealith7
Nov 28, 2014 11:53 PM

Jul 2012
First things first, did you watch the music videos and read the manga before watching the anime?
Nov 28, 2014 11:57 PM

Sep 2014
I had watched the music videos before the anime, but I hadn't read the novel or the manga before I watched the anime. And yes, I know how they're better than the anime but I still find it superb.
-Kino, Kino's Journey

Nov 29, 2014 12:00 AM

Jan 2011
Nah its rating is about right.
Nov 29, 2014 12:00 AM

Jul 2012
zealith7 said:
I had watched the music videos before the anime, but I hadn't read the novel or the manga before I watched the anime. And yes, I know how they're better than the anime but I still find it superb.
Well, as an Anime-only viewer, it was incredibly confusing and messy to watch. The entire series felt very disconnected. A personal problem I had was the art style was ugly and too abstract for my liking. It's like Madoka without the nice colouring schemes and cool artsy scenes.

The ending of the anime left me with a bad taste as well. And it's a forgettable series.
Nov 29, 2014 12:04 AM

Sep 2014
It's by Shaft, so yeah, you either love it or hate it I guess.
-Kino, Kino's Journey

Nov 29, 2014 12:05 AM

Jul 2012
zealith7 said:
It's by Shaft, so yeah, you either love it or hate it I guess.

I found it one of SHAFT's weaker shows (although, I haven't even watched most of SHAFT shows lol)
Hell, even Nisekoi was better. It had nice pacing and a clear direction.
Nov 29, 2014 12:06 AM

Nov 2011
they completely butchered ayano's theory of happiness for one. story was all over the place and lacked focus. the story itself (once done watching it all) wasn't that great, either. best part was probably the monster story, which only lasts ~1 min per episode (and not all episodes had a monster story)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 29, 2014 12:07 AM

Sep 2014
Nisekoi was the least SHAFT of all the SHAFT anime out there, not including the really old ones in my opinion.
-Kino, Kino's Journey

Nov 29, 2014 12:08 AM

Jul 2012
zealith7 said:
Nisekoi was the least SHAFT of all the SHAFT anime out there, not including the really old ones in my opinion.

It still is a SHAFT show regardless of how different it was.
Nov 29, 2014 12:12 AM

Sep 2014
mayukachan said:
zealith7 said:

It still is a SHAFT show regardless of how different it was.

What I mean is that it was pretty normal for a SHAFT show. Mekakucity is over the top in that sense.
-Kino, Kino's Journey

Nov 29, 2014 2:02 AM

Nov 2013
i love shaft but i found mekakucity actors below average
( ˘ ³˘) ♥ (0‿0✿)
Nov 29, 2014 2:46 AM

Jul 2014
zealith7 said:
I thought it was amazing, but the MAL rating says otherwise

Because MAL is always objectively right.

It also sucked, the story was terrible, the characters were lame, and SHAFT was focusing all the budget on Nisekoi, so it wasn't their best work. even though i'm SHAFT fanboy myself.
Nov 29, 2014 2:47 AM

Jan 2013
it was terrible.

this coming from a major kagepro fan.
better off with the manga.

Nov 29, 2014 2:48 AM

Jul 2014
shuryukan said:

SHAFT can't turn shit into gold you know.
Nov 29, 2014 2:52 AM

Jan 2013
Okashi_sama said:
shuryukan said:

it can however, turn gold into shit.
Nov 29, 2014 3:01 AM

Jul 2014
shuryukan said:
Okashi_sama said:

it can however, turn gold into shit.
anyone can. but SHAFT never did.
Dec 1, 2014 8:16 PM

Oct 2012
The horrendous OP for Ayano's Theory of Happiness really just ruined the whole heartfelt moment part for me. It was one of my favorite MVs and quite frankly, SHAFT cannot do CG. JUST NO.

On another hand, I can see how some would find it quite confusing if they haven't had any connection to Kagepro before watching. I found the art to be decent although not the best, that is for sure^^.

I thought it would have been at least a 7.5 or something but, I guess not.

Dec 1, 2014 8:57 PM

Jul 2012
Takei_Hisa said:
The horrendous OP for Ayano's Theory of Happiness really just ruined the whole heartfelt moment part for me. It was one of my favorite MVs and quite frankly, SHAFT cannot do CG. JUST NO.

The BDs fixed it, if that motivates you to rewatch that episodes.
Dec 23, 2014 2:20 AM

Sep 2014
I must be the only one who enjoyed it :I
-Kino, Kino's Journey

Dec 23, 2014 1:21 PM

Jul 2012
zealith7 said:
I must be the only one who enjoyed it :I

There are MANY people who enjoyed it. It ranked as the top 5 Summer anime each week on this Facebook page, AniTrendz.
Dec 28, 2014 2:00 PM

Sep 2014
Thanks, I feel a whole lot better now :D
-Kino, Kino's Journey

Dec 30, 2014 7:45 AM

Mar 2013
Nope
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jan 28, 2015 12:49 PM

Jan 2015
mayukachan said:
zealith7 said:
Well, as an Anime-only viewer, it was incredibly confusing and messy to watch. The entire series felt very disconnected. A personal problem I had was the art style was ugly and too abstract for my liking. It's like Madoka without the nice colouring schemes and cool artsy scenes.

The ending of the anime left me with a bad taste as well. And it's a forgettable series.

I really like it though. I've not watched the manga nor the MVs before the anime, and I didn't find the anime particularly confusing. Unlike Baccano and Durarara, this anime actually goes along pretty chronologically.
Jan 29, 2015 2:49 AM

May 2013
AkaHisui said:
mayukachan said:

I really like it though. I've not watched the manga nor the MVs before the anime, and I didn't find the anime particularly confusing. Unlike Baccano and Durarara, this anime actually goes along pretty chronologically.

After 1st episode of mekakucity actors I found all MV's and listened to them for all week, they were great, thats why I was hoping a lot of this... But the show just went downhill from there...and how can you say that Durarara was not chronological, it's a masterpiece! and in Baccano you can understand everything clear if you watch it till the end
Feb 6, 2015 6:43 AM

Apr 2013
Well for one the pacing was terrible if you have read/listened/watched the source material. Then there's the butchering of significant emotional plot points (like Ayano's sacrifice and... that annoying brat's too I guess), the lazy animation (Do not watch much SHAFT are their animation always this lazy?), poor rushed plot with a completely unexplained and an unsatisfying deus ex machina ending, all weighted down even more with the high expectations of the fan of the source material. I'm surprised it got over 7 TBH. Guess the soundtrack and char design was enough to please some fans.

Oddly enough I was fine with Ayano's theory of Happyness and Lost Time Memory. Pissed they didn't do Summertime record though.
Feb 21, 2015 11:48 PM

Sep 2014
Harukaze25 said:
Well for one the pacing was terrible if you have read/listened/watched the source material. Then there's the butchering of significant emotional plot points (like Ayano's sacrifice and... that annoying brat's too I guess), the lazy animation (Do not watch much SHAFT are their animation always this lazy?), poor rushed plot with a completely unexplained and an unsatisfying deus ex machina ending, all weighted down even more with the high expectations of the fan of the source material. I'm surprised it got over 7 TBH. Guess the soundtrack and char design was enough to please some fans.

Oddly enough I was fine with Ayano's theory of Happyness and Lost Time Memory. Pissed they didn't do Summertime record though.
I dunno, I thought that the animation was great, or at least, it fit my taste. And SHAFT is great, once you start watching SHAFT you can't stop watching SHAFT and that's a fact.
-Kino, Kino's Journey

Feb 25, 2015 2:11 AM

Jan 2014
zealith7 said:
I dunno, I thought that the animation was great, or at least, it fit my taste.

The animation was great, but the shot it self went from being, for me fun to being a confusing mess.
Feb 26, 2015 6:11 PM

Mar 2014
Not enough people have read Tsubasa Chronicles it seems, this show reminded me a lot of that, probably why I liked it so much, thought the story was great.
Mar 3, 2015 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
Short reply.

Huge Fanboy of KagePro

Mekakuactors took all my expectations and threw them out the window

It's not because it's bad, because it is your "run of the mill anime" which has a few shaft-quirks, but besides that, it's not different from any other average anime. They could've done so much, but did so little. Not sure if I should blame Jin or SHAFT though, because I believe what happened was that they knew Mekaku would be popular because it already had the following, so they gave most of the budget to Nisekoi and decided to instead give Mekaku the short end of the stick, which even if it is a bit dickish, seems reasonable. Plus, the story was terribly inconsistent near the half way point and beyond, so I don't know if that's because Jin didn't write it well or because SHAFT rushed him to finish it in 12 episodes.

Also, the animation was good?

Rewatch episodes 9 and up please. Made me think of how gonzo anime usually has that one episode that looks really shitty for some reason, but it was for 1/4 of the show...
Mar 3, 2015 3:00 PM

Jul 2012
Sleepy-lt said:
AkaHisui said:

After 1st episode of mekakucity actors I found all MV's and listened to them for all week, they were great, thats why I was hoping a lot of this... But the show just went downhill from there...and how can you say that Durarara was not chronological, it's a masterpiece! and in Baccano you can understand everything clear if you watch it till the end

+1

Baccano and DRRR are clear and not hard to understand. Mekaku on the other hand............
Mar 15, 2015 12:13 AM

Jan 2011
As it stands right now this shit is horribly overrated. I only came here to say this because I saw some user rated this shit a 10. I still remember that rough draft of a last episode...
IZEROIIMar 15, 2015 12:17 AM
Mar 17, 2015 2:10 AM

Mar 2013
IZEROII said:
As it stands right now this shit is horribly overrated. I only came here to say this because I saw some user rated this shit a 10. I still remember that rough draft of a last episode...

A MAL user rating something high that is crap? Stop the presses.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Mar 24, 2015 5:25 PM

Mar 2015
Mekakucity Actors basically took my heart and put it through a meat grinder. I thought the story was beautiful and the soundtrack is great but I find it hard to understand what the hell is happening most of the time.
swagtastic
Mar 27, 2015 10:17 AM

Jan 2010
As a fan of the series since Kagerou Days/Daze was released (although my love for this series has died quite a bit by now) and also a fan of SHAFT, I'd say it wasn't terrible, but nothing amazing either.
I think many people who ARE familiar with the series like to complain about the chronological order of things and etc, but... The original series is music videos without ANY chronological order. The light novels and manga also plays with this, although less, much less confusing.
The anime was a bit confusing and lacked a bit of drama. The animation could be better (but well Nisekoi was airing around the same time). However, it wasn't anything mediocre and many people claims as a bad "adaptation" when Jin (creator of the series) clearly stated he was behind the script AND it would be different from the manga AND the light novels (just like he said the manga was different from the light novels). I think some people were also disappointed thinking it would be an adaptation, while it's not.
Also, the complaints about animation are understandable, but well, it was obvious they would redo a lot of things in the BDs/DVDs..

TL;DR, many people were disappointed expecting an adaption of the mangas or light novels when it wasn't and this show wasn't anything fantastic, but not really that horrible either. It could've been much better, though, if they had more episodes and could rush less.
Apr 4, 2015 1:08 AM

Sep 2014
IZEROII said:
Well, I'm sorry if I offended you, I just like to rate things based on how I feel of them, not on how other people want me to rate them.
-Kino, Kino's Journey

May 27, 2021 10:37 PM
Dec 2017
its a pretty underated gem alright.

Sep 16, 2021 7:18 AM
Sep 2021
tbh yes it is highly underrated, its a part of the whole kagure project, if u dont understand the anime and stuff you need to listen to the kagure project music by jin, a movie too and manga. while i havent read the light novel, these all stories connect together to tell the stories of these children repeating a day again and again. The anime was the last piece to the entire multimedia project. It shows what actually happened. So if people who didnt understand first time its okay cause i didnt too and i had to do a bit of research to understand it. So if u connect all stuff together it is actually a really amazing art-piece with music :)

More topics from this board

» Mekakucity Reload ???? When ???

Ghefira - Mar 30, 2023

7 by dargoid »»
Jan 21, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2014

284 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:12 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

170 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

361 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 12:28 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

242 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.