Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 15, 2014 2:38 PM

Mar 2013
What's this? A Kirito-lite, Asuna-centric storyline? Beautiful!!
Nov 15, 2014 2:39 PM

Oct 2013
hawk222 said:
What's this? A Kirito-lite, Asuna-centric storyline? Beautiful!!

Welcome to Mother's Rosario arc. You'll enjoy your stay.
Nov 15, 2014 2:40 PM

Jul 2012
Thank goodness for new OP.
Now change it again.

And give us more healthy doses of reality.
Waifu_LaifuNov 15, 2014 2:53 PM
Nov 15, 2014 2:44 PM

Sep 2014
looks like asuna will be the main character in this half of the series.
and also did you notice, this the first time kirito didn't show up on a SAO opening!

Bookmeter ╠╣ class summon
Nov 15, 2014 2:49 PM

Jun 2012
Ugh rich girl problems.
Nov 15, 2014 2:54 PM
Nov 2014
That was one amazing fight between Zekken and Asuna. I wonder what help Zekken needs because shes already so strong.
Nov 15, 2014 2:57 PM

Jan 2013
We got to see Auna's mother.
And a little more about what's going on.

And well... Yuuki's just so adorable *.*
Nov 15, 2014 2:58 PM

Sep 2008
SweetKotomi said:

But it's only 59 F when converted. In real life it's not cold, it's generally cool if there's isn't any wind.

Where I'm from(which is just under Japan), 15 degrees can be cold enough to blow out steam. It's not very cold but I wouldn't be seen running around in shorts...and I believe it's around winter(snowy season) around that time in SAO
Nov 15, 2014 3:08 PM

Jul 2007
Scrypt said:
SweetKotomi said:

But it's only 59 F when converted. In real life it's not cold, it's generally cool if there's isn't any wind.

Where I'm from(which is just under Japan), 15 degrees can be cold enough to blow out steam. It's not very cold but I wouldn't be seen running around in shorts...and I believe it's around winter(snowy season) around that time in SAO

Not that cold?

Anything below 20 is kind of COLD.

Going without warm clothes in 15C outside is like inviting pneumonia.
Nov 15, 2014 3:11 PM

May 2014
willardhwright said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Simply the fact that something is realistic or has an in-universe explanation doesn't imply that it's presented with any real moral ambiguity.

Moral ambiguity implies that there IS any moral ambiguity. In this case, in the strict sense, there isn't an objective one; parents may have some preferences and things that they would like better, such as having an heterosexual son because they want a grandson; it doesn't change the fact that everyone is living its own life, and denying it is starting to go on a subjective, slippery rope.

And what COULD count as a moral ambiguity on said subjective POV is clearly here. There is a reason Asuna told her about her past before leaving, and it's all about this. She wants her daughter to have a successful life, yes. However, no matter the "ambiguity", the way she's doing it is wrong. She may means well, yes; and she says it REALLY often. Hell, the whole discussion is about this.
But she only MEANS well because she's more or less blinded and projecting herself on her daughter, and doesn't take enough factors into account. Basically, she's short-sighted. Something "morally ambiguous" doesn't have to be solved by a statu quo where both people are wrong. We see very clearly that she doesn't do it just because she's a control freak and because it's fun for her. We see her PoV aboutthis, and why she's doing this, and it's not because she is evil per se. It doesn't change how twisted this is. Just like how Kayaba was understandable, but definitely not "right" in S1.
That's assuming that I, by my own standards, acknowledge her reasoning to be good enough to be worth considering more than just a little. That's pretty much the problem, isn't it? I find her to be bad as a parent in a way that's too obvious and therefore a bit boring. We could debate over whether I find her more evil or dumb, but that would probably be a waste.
Nov 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Nov 2007
oh em. im freakin' enjoyin this arc. i do love kirito x asuna scenes but i want to have (yea, as what you call it) asuna-centric storyline. yay! and Viva for the new girl, Yuuki. Im loving her personality. :)) I know she won't join in the harem for based on the ed song, she will be so attached to our Asuna. :D

The Yuuki x Asuna fight scene was terrific! To see Asuna with her SAO's badass character almost brought me to tears (im not being exagge). I just miss her being like that. A proof that she's not the typical heroine, damsel in distress. yay! :)) i want her to develop another skill, if possible, better than Zekken's..

I am looking forward more and more to the next episodes. oh em. 'cant just help this overwhelming feeling. lols. Thankyou SAO's creators. hoho. 10/10
Nov 15, 2014 3:14 PM
Feb 2014
CookingPriest said:
Scrypt said:

Not that cold?

Anything below 20 is kind of COLD.

Going without warm clothes in 15C outside is like inviting pneumonia.

Now you are exaggerating xD

19-20 is normal room temperatur and 15 is just a bit cold, but yes it can be cold enough for steamy breath ;-)

On the episode: well 5/5, perfect animation I would say :P A-1 nicely done!
Nov 15, 2014 3:16 PM

Mar 2011
TheDeedsOfMen said:
willardhwright said:

Moral ambiguity implies that there IS any moral ambiguity. In this case, in the strict sense, there isn't an objective one; parents may have some preferences and things that they would like better, such as having an heterosexual son because they want a grandson; it doesn't change the fact that everyone is living its own life, and denying it is starting to go on a subjective, slippery rope.

And what COULD count as a moral ambiguity on said subjective POV is clearly here. There is a reason Asuna told her about her past before leaving, and it's all about this. She wants her daughter to have a successful life, yes. However, no matter the "ambiguity", the way she's doing it is wrong. She may means well, yes; and she says it REALLY often. Hell, the whole discussion is about this.
But she only MEANS well because she's more or less blinded and projecting herself on her daughter, and doesn't take enough factors into account. Basically, she's short-sighted. Something "morally ambiguous" doesn't have to be solved by a statu quo where both people are wrong. We see very clearly that she doesn't do it just because she's a control freak and because it's fun for her. We see her PoV aboutthis, and why she's doing this, and it's not because she is evil per se. It doesn't change how twisted this is. Just like how Kayaba was understandable, but definitely not "right" in S1.
That's assuming that I, by my own standards, acknowledge her reasoning to be good enough to be worth considering more than just a little. That's pretty much the problem, isn't it? I find her to be bad as a parent in a way that's too obvious and therefore a bit boring. We could debate over whether I find her more evil or dumb, but that would probably be a waste.

That's not being black and white though. that's being, as you said later, too obvious. (Which doesn't have to be a bad thing, since, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomeAnvilsNeedToBeDropped (but that's another problem entirely yes )

But if it isn't about it being manichean then yeah, I agree with you, it isn't very subtle in the way it's done. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing, but this depends from person to person and from taste to taste.
Nov 15, 2014 3:24 PM

Nov 2012
Their duel was actually entertaining.

Okay episode.
Nov 15, 2014 3:26 PM
Feb 2014
Great episode! (and maybe one of the best this season) Her conversation with her mother really adds depth to the storyline. The fight against Yuuki was fantastic. It didn't dissapoint at all.

Can't wait for the next episode :)
Nov 15, 2014 3:29 PM

Dec 2013
Wow Asuna's mother is a bitch!

That fight between Asuna and Zekken was amazing. The visuals and animation were incredible :)

5/5 just because of that fight.
Nov 15, 2014 3:46 PM

Jul 2012
I disliked this episode, The fight was entertaining but it did feel a bit stupid since they were emphasizing how strong Zekken was but she didn't seem to be anything special in the end. All the other Asuna stuff didn't do anything for me.

Also I hope they explain in detail why Asuna was chosen and not the tons of other people or Kirito who almost beat her.
Nov 15, 2014 3:48 PM

Oct 2013
The new op sucked,the fight between Asuna and Yuuki was great,and now wonder what Yuuki needs help for.

Nov 15, 2014 3:49 PM

Jan 2011
That conversation there made me want to jump in there and strangle Asuna's mom.

And that duel was really nice, including both *stare* scenes ;)

I assume the deciding moment, what made Yuuki choose Asuna was the stare after the initial clash. Yuuki was surprised and did even hesistate for a moment. She probably felt the will, the *need* to win, whereas most just treat it as a test of skill, enjoyment for a day with no further importance.

The Calibur arc reminded me a bit of when they were with Asuna's guild in S1, with little to no real interaction between the characters and a rather small frame forced on them by other people, instead of the more dynamic (inter)action.

Coincidentally (or not?), the scenes where Kirito was simply "wasting time" laying on to ground and relishing the sun etc. instead of putting his life on the line on the front where among my favorite in S1.
Nov 15, 2014 3:49 PM

Jul 2007
exLightning said:
I disliked this episode, The fight was entertaining but it did feel a bit stupid since they were emphasizing how strong Zekken was but she didn't seem to be anything special in the end. All the other Asuna stuff didn't do anything for me.

Also I hope they explain in detail why Asuna was chosen and not the tons of other people or Kirito who almost beat her.

Kirito did not "almost beat her". He did not even manage to get her to use her 11hit sword skill.
Nov 15, 2014 3:51 PM

Oct 2014
In my opinion, one of the best episodes in this season. I liked Asuna's reaction after the conversation with her mother. The battle against Yuuki was also very good. I'm waiting for the next episode. I hope that this arc will be awesome.
Nov 15, 2014 3:52 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Scrypt said:
SweetKotomi said:

Well, makes sense that in winter a person can see their breath. Where I'm from the temperature in Asuna's room would be pretty cool outside. A thin long sleeve shirt and shorts would be typical workout clothes at the park. However, for some reason if it's the A/C, anything below 70 F is cold for me in real life. I remember one of my teachers would have the A/C set at 65 F, chilly classroom.

Nov 15, 2014 3:57 PM

Nov 2013
Oh man, Asuna's mom sure doesn't seem that good. I liked Asuna's last words to her lol.

This new girl is a boss, though. Her voice is rather odd but I'll get used to it eventually, no biggie. But, dayum, I liked the fight scene. Could have been better but I have no complaints :3

So it's Asuna's time to shine now huh. Good thing indeed, didn't care for her in season 1 so maybe this will change things.

5/5
Nov 15, 2014 4:14 PM

Nov 2013
Love the new OP animations, probably some of the best I've seen.

The way they spent all of last episode building this Zekken up to be a guy and then revealing the truth was hilarious. Have fun Asuna.

Her conversation with her mother was the most interesting part of the episode though. The mother brought up some valid points about Asuna's future, but the more she says Asuna's next suitor is fine the more I can't shake the feeling that it's not gonna end well, especially after the fiasco with Sugou.
Nov 15, 2014 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
Excellent episode, so far they're really doing the arc justice, now off to meet the Sleeping Knights.
Nov 15, 2014 4:19 PM

Mar 2013
oneroaddict said:
Welp, not sure if I like Asuna's family issue, though I can't totally blame her parents. Asuna's parents are just like my (Asian) parents, except mine were mostly concerned with studies and career, and don't meddle with my copulation business. Then again I am a dude.

^^ This. That conversation between Asuna and her mother sounded very realistic especially considering Asuna's family is very rich. Good job, SAO.

Not sure if I like Kirito being completely out of the picture in this arc though... I'm wondering what's the gender distribution among people who say that Mother's Rosario is the best arc in SAO.
LoneUlfsarkNov 15, 2014 4:23 PM
Nov 15, 2014 4:20 PM

Jun 2014
Finally!!! We can finally see Asuna being OP! It would have been better if she had won though
Nov 15, 2014 4:23 PM

Mar 2009
Oh, so NOW they start sharing more information about Asuna. Why the hell wasn't this in the first season?! It would have helped...a lot.

Good episode. Asuna vs. Zekken was nicely animated.
Nov 15, 2014 4:26 PM

May 2014
willardhwright said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

That's not being black and white though. that's being, as you said later, too obvious. (Which doesn't have to be a bad thing, since, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomeAnvilsNeedToBeDropped (but that's another problem entirely yes )

But if it isn't about it being manichean then yeah, I agree with you, it isn't very subtle in the way it's done. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing, but this depends from person to person and from taste to taste.
Eh, I found her close enough to the "black" extreme, exactly because I found her reasons so obviously wrong. Everyone has a reason for doing evil things, and I try to judge how much sense it makes. If she could make a better case for her parenting, then it would be different.
Nov 15, 2014 4:32 PM

Jul 2008
Dat Op
Dat Asuna vs Yuuki

If it continues like that I'll be able to die in peace.
Nov 15, 2014 4:32 PM
Apr 2014
LoneUlfsark said:
Not sure if I like Kirito being completely out of the picture in this arc though... I'm wondering what's the gender distribution among people who say that Mother's Rosario is the best arc in SAO.

Uhh... i don't think gender really matters, its not a Shojo or anything, lol

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Nov 15, 2014 4:40 PM
Jan 2014
kappasan said:
The series hasn't been as good ever since the conclusion add-up episode 14.5.

Thank god I'm not the only one who thought that.
Nov 15, 2014 4:43 PM

Sep 2014
xxdeathx said:
Love the new OP animations, probably some of the best I've seen.

The way they spent all of last episode building this Zekken up to be a guy and then revealing the truth was hilarious. Have fun Asuna.

Her conversation with her mother was the most interesting part of the episode though. The mother brought up some valid points about Asuna's future, but the more she says Asuna's next suitor is fine the more I can't shake the feeling that it's not gonna end well, especially after the fiasco with Sugou.

I can kinda related to her mothers concerns. I started college almost two years late because of health issues. My parents were always on my case to take more classes to catch up. To them the two years I did not attend school was considered a waste to them. Also used the bull crap line that your friends will all be done with college and will have jobs before you. Shit happens and you move on I guess.
Nov 15, 2014 4:54 PM

Dec 2012
Really don't like Asuna's mum that much.
So Zekkan turns out to be Yuuki.
Nice sword play between Yuuki and Asuna.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 15, 2014 4:59 PM
Feb 2013
Nice to see A1 not messing everything up here. The episode followed the LN pretty closely

Regarding Asuna's mother, her attitude here makes sense as she's clearly worried about her daughter future as she already lost 2 years of her life in a game yet continue to play these games; that makes a whole lot more sense than everything else that ever happened in this show. Also from an Asian culture perspective, it makes sense for her to think that having well established future career gives you happiness; life is a lot more competitive in Japan. The bad part is when she acts forceful regarding her arranged marriage; this is obviously an attempt to further glorify the Asuna x Kirito shipping for fans but could have been done better to not remind us of a certain butterflyman...
Also some nice touch on Asuna characterisation. We are finally seeing her internal thoughts as she struggles to figure what she will do in the future. Surely she realises she cant just follow Kirito forever.
Action was fine I guess, more explosions than I expected.
Hopefully A1 won't mess up for the rest of the arc.
Nov 15, 2014 5:00 PM

Dec 2013
I was a little bothered about the humongous smoke effects but it was still OK. It looks like Kirito has mastered playing on two accounts simultaneously though.
Nov 15, 2014 5:04 PM

May 2009
I'm glad this arc isn't about Kirito! No harem = win
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Nov 15, 2014 5:05 PM
Sep 2013
y123y said:

Asuna's mom is cold becasue SAO doesnt know how to do side characters other than making them look like jerks and bad people. Its a pattern

you'll change your opinion later on
Nov 15, 2014 5:15 PM

Jul 2008
y123y said:
pacuuuuu3 said:
I'm glad this arc isn't about Kirito! No harem = win

Asuna will probably have a reverse harem

She won't.
Instead of spewing bullshit how about you take the time to verify what you're saying.
Nov 15, 2014 5:20 PM

Dec 2012
exLightning said:

Uhh, are u 4getting even if she didnt do much in sao, she was #2 in the strongest guild. Also Kirito never got Yuuki to use her 11 sword skill, so it can be assumed Asuna put up a better fight.
Nov 15, 2014 5:55 PM

Dec 2013
Nice SOL in the first half. The duel in the second half was also better than the usuall crappy generic action. One of the better SAO eps.
Nov 15, 2014 6:01 PM

Jul 2012
like the new OP

Nov 15, 2014 6:06 PM

Jun 2014
Finally an episode that isn't shit, looks like another member has joined the competition! Welcome to Kirito harem, V/Yuuki!
Nov 15, 2014 6:15 PM
Jul 2009
Qans said:
Finally an episode that isn't shit, looks like another member has joined the competition! Welcome to Kirito harem, V/Yuuki!

2014 and still thinking Yuuki will join the harem. These kids.
Nov 15, 2014 6:17 PM

Dec 2009
not going to lie, i didn't like sao2 at all until they started this arc.

Jun 2014
1idd0kun said:
Qans said:

What does the year have to do with anything? And nigga we watchin SAO, you just as much of a 'kid' as I am
Apr 2014
exLightning said:

Sigh.

Dafuq you mean by "Kirito almost beat her"? he lost blatantly.

Also, Asuna was chosen cause it was the only player who made Zekken use her OSS.

Enough for you?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Nov 15, 2014 6:22 PM

Jul 2008
Reyxe said:
exLightning said:

Sigh.

Dafuq you mean by "Kirito almost beat her"? he lost blatantly.

Also, Asuna was chosen cause it was the only player who made Zekken use her OSS.

Enough for you?

There is still a solid reason why Yuuki didn't choose Kirito though. She would have chosen him if it wasn't for that particular reason.
Nov 15, 2014 6:34 PM

Oct 2012
That is some tension between them
Nov 15, 2014 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
Qans said:
1idd0kun said:

What does the year have to do with anything? And nigga we watchin SAO, you just as much of a 'kid' as I am

lol thnk hes just saying, if the spoilers about yuuki havent reached ur ears, u must be living under a rock.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 27, 2014

611 by Bruh69XD »»
May 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

546 by amf85 »»
Apr 30, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2014

432 by amf85 »»
Apr 29, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

286 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 6, 2014

418 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 3:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.