Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 30, 2014 6:00 PM

Jun 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not bad. It's very reminiscent of the show. We get to see Tomoko's past and she looked more mature which I found looked cooler when she was jumping off.
Let’s say you drink too much strawberry milk, and have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. You don’t want to get up, but the urge to urinate is just too strong! You run to the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and let loose! You think that all your life has led to this moment! YOU'RE STILL IN BED! That feeling of lukewarm wetness spreads! But you can’t stop! THAT’S THE TRUTH OF THE STRAWBERRY MILK! DO YOU GET IT? ~ Gintoki
An unforeseen situation... An unexpected turn of events... In the face of those, you too will face your true self. — Makishima Shougo
Oct 31, 2014 1:13 AM

Feb 2010
Haven't watch the version with sub, yet,
but the story is original, just like anthology...
Komiyama and Kii-chan show up for while...

Nice yuri scene from the beginning...
dat op, just like episode 10...

That guy's illusion is hilarious, but wait...Tomoko can speaks to others normally!?
and how does Tomoki grow taller in 10 seconds? (25:26 ~ 25:35)
-------------------------
So...The beginning scene point out the problems of slice-of-life anime nowadays, yuri fans should notice and face these problems...
But is that scene also an implication that there won't be a second season? :(

Tomoko talks to a stranger normally! Maybe she consider Aomatsu as a "kid", and after all, she fool him successfully,
The ova is a bit out of the usual style, but still good, as an anthology, the story is the most "romantic" one, in all of the Watamote series recently.
YangbojianNov 3, 2014 12:06 AM
Oct 31, 2014 7:52 AM

Oct 2012
Back when the series was airing, I also read ahead in the manga very carefully
to see what was being covered. The anime did not follow the manga linearly,
but everything was there, with just a few things being in the anime that were
completely absent from the manga. The best example is the ED sequence in
Episode 2 where she rides the swan boat on the lake. Also, there was the
homage to "Death Note" when Tomoko was doing an internet search.

This content does not look familiar to me at all. Please nobody spoil the manga,
but just say "yes" or "no" regarding whether this is original non-manga content.

I really wish that they would not call this "Episode 13". That means that fans are
going to be having angry debates at fan conventions for the next century about
whether there are 12 episodes and an OVA or 13 episodes.
okanaganNov 2, 2014 8:25 PM
Oct 31, 2014 9:17 AM

Sep 2011
I expect more Komi-something-san

Meh... gonna wait for the subs.
Oct 31, 2014 10:43 AM

Jan 2014
Nice episode, not the best one, but a nice one.

poor tomoko, I liked that yuri part.

"Here's our chance! Let's go!"
Oct 31, 2014 2:39 PM

Nov 2007
That entrance to OP, so natural as always! But what was that about? lol~

Introducing a megane guy, who is under chuunibyou, meeting a long hair girl, who is also under chuunibyou. He also bumped to main girl 3 years later.

Another girl introduced, who thinks different inside.

Main girl accidentally got a key to the loft. So, as I thought, that girl he met was main girl. lol~ (but wow, the voice when it's his point of view was different) The reason it was locked then was because the teacher came and checked it. So that megane guy knows her brother. They did bump up together, but didn't realize each other.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 2, 2014 10:07 AM

Sep 2012
Came back after a year.
Was not disappointed.
Oh god who are you people?
Nov 2, 2014 10:20 AM

Apr 2013
Nngh, the laughs and feels in this OVA, it all hurts so much. Tomoko, I missed suffering with you, girl.
Nov 2, 2014 3:00 PM

Jan 2013
That was interesting.
She did looked taller in middle school.
Nov 2, 2014 5:11 PM
May 2014
i see quite a lot of ppl already saw it, any links?
Nov 3, 2014 6:38 PM

Oct 2012
Awww I didn't realize how much I have missed Tomoko after watching this!!
I hope this is a hint towards a possible season 2? Because why not? It'd be really interesting to see how things unfold with Tomoko's brother at high school and the chunibyou megane guy! As well as Kii starting middle school.
Nov 3, 2014 7:29 PM
Jul 2018
It was a good episode.

Tomoko was able to get out of the roof at her middle school at the end, thank to the teacher.
Nov 3, 2014 7:31 PM

Oct 2012
My guess is that there is not going to be a second season. Just now, I have
been checking out the various official sources of information such as the
Twitter account and all of their websites. The only recent activity has to
do with the release of the OVA (Episode 13) which was bundled as a DVD along
with Volume 7 of the manga when went on sale on October 22nd.

Looking at the Amazon Stalker points for the six volumes of the Blu-ray/DVD,
they looked unimpressive to me. Clearly it was not a runaway hit in Japan.
As of this moment, here are some specific numbers for those of you who are
interested in Amazon Stalker points:

Volume 4 (On sale Jan 8th) BD: 1499 DVD: 553
Volume 5 (On sale Feb 5th) BD: 1490 DVD: 583
Volume 6 (On sale Mar 5th) BD: 1567 DVD: 659

Now, they did dub it into English, so clearly there must be a lot of people
in the English-speaking world who are interested in it. But my impression
is that people in Japan are not so fascinated by Tomoko's solitary life. It
is gag comedy, with the story not really progressing. From the comments on
MAL when the original series was airing, the lack of progress seemed to
irritate or depress a lot of people.

For people who want to see how the story unfolds, by all means read the
manga.
Nov 3, 2014 8:28 PM

Feb 2013
The subs for this suck balls
Nov 3, 2014 9:56 PM

Jul 2013
at first i was like who the hell is that guy. whos that chick? she looks like tomoko a bit but taller. then later we see her side of the story and had some laughs. good ova/ep
Nov 4, 2014 2:55 AM

May 2009
So, Tomoko came close to maybe having a boyfriend in middle school? Who would've guessed?

I wonder, though, was he merely fascinated by her delusional speech, or did he actually think she was cute? Given how he was interested in seeing her again, the second may very well be true. Too bad she changed so much, he didn't recognize her when he did end up seeing her again. Then again, the memory of that day would have probably embarrassed her to such extent, she'd run away before they could strike up a conversation.

Also, is it me, or was Tomoko much taller in middle school than she is now? It definitely looks like she's much shorter now than back then. Maybe it's just the school uniform that makes her look shorter.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2014 7:03 AM

May 2013
Funny episode. Love Tomoko trying to act cool in front of that guy. And he turned out to be her brother's friend.
Nov 4, 2014 9:08 AM

Jul 2010
Nice, really liked this episode though it felt a bit long since they practially told the same story twice... on the other hand it was nice to see both sides. I hoped their reunion would be more dramatic but well, it's real life after all I guess. I really do miss this serie though, wish there was news about a second season.
Nov 4, 2014 9:37 AM

Mar 2013
[quote=okanagan]
Now, they did dub it into English, so clearly there must be a lot of people
in the English-speaking world who are interested in it./quote]
Isn't the show just liked by 4chan?
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Nov 4, 2014 9:43 AM

May 2012
Great episode! While they spent too much time focusing on this new guy we've never seen (anime or manga wise), I did love how they played with time. I also liked that it was an original story!

Probably shouldn't bring guns to school, Tomoko... Even if it was just a toy gun xD

Odd way of introducing Komi-something. That's what I thought the OVA was gonna be about, her introduction and rivalry with Tomoko!

And no Season 2 announcement at the end?! GET OUTTA HERE! Still amazing to hear Izumi Kitta as Tomoko again, perhaps for the last time... :(
Nov 4, 2014 10:09 AM

Feb 2011
I hope the op scene may have hinted a season 2.
Nov 4, 2014 10:18 AM

Nov 2012
UnbornMVs said:
I have same thoughts, all hope in dubs. After watching this I just realized how much I want more of Watamote.
Nov 4, 2014 10:31 AM

Jul 2010
I felt this was hard to watch.

From Aomatsu's pov, Tomoko seemed pretty cool and probably his first love as he kept on going to the roof!

Tomoko's perceptive was just lol. When she broke her ankle with that monologue though it was somewhat depressing to see her depending all those time on the roof waiting for him to come.'

Glad Tomoko got off the roof at the end. The beginning was o.o, liked how they integrated the opening though.
Nov 4, 2014 11:12 AM
Jan 2014
Gotta admit, I was suprised to see Tomoko act like such a badass from Aomatsu's POV, though that was probably due to his chuuni. Btw, was Saito Chiwa actually voicing Tomoko from that part, or is it just me? Because it certainly wasn't Kitta Izumi.

The part when she got locked up on the rooftop was funny though, especially with her reaction. Giggled a bit when she used her ankle injury to her advantage, and made Tomoki go to the shop instead.

Overall, it was still pretty average but welcome nonetheless.
Nov 4, 2014 11:48 AM
Oct 2013
I know that I'm gonna be alone in this but I wasn't sure what I should think after seeing this. I'll put it this way, it didn't feel like watamote at all. Let alone an actual episode. Usually the story is focused only on Tomoko and her thoughts. This show is known for having a huge cringe factor to it that always made it difficult to watch forcing me to pause it and come back to it :D.

Sadly, though when I watched this, I didn't know what I was watching. I didn't get any feel of cringe factor, I didn't feel like I was seeing Tomoko's troubling experiences and I didn't feel like this was authentic.

Don't worry, I'm not bashing the OVA, nor am I insulting the people that love it. I'm not even saying it was terrible. I'm just saying to ME, it didn't feel like Watamote and that it was very different.

Also, I'm so used to Tomoko to shy to talk to ANYONE, even girls (With the exception of family members of course). If they were different than her, then she would be extremely shy and quiet.

In the OVA, I didn't feel any of that. Then again, this is all BEFORE her high school experiences. Maybe there was something traumatic that caused her to be obsessed with popularity and grow into an introvert that can barely speak.

If they do make a season 2, I don't think it'll be as good as the first, but I hope that they focus on only Tomoko for the purpose of expanding or exposing more of her character to us and not just cater to the fans to just bring a season 2 for no reason.

Once again, not trying to insult anybody's likes. I knew that I'd be alone in this. If you loved it GRREEEAT! :D
Nov 4, 2014 12:49 PM

Dec 2007
blabo said:
Also, I'm so used to Tomoko to shy to talk to ANYONE, even girls (With the exception of family members of course). If they were different than her, then she would be extremely shy and quiet.

Remember, Tomoko apparently doesn't have as much trouble talking to kids who are younger than her (see episodes 6 and 8 for example). So it stands to reason that she was able to put on an act for Aomatsu.
Nov 4, 2014 12:58 PM

Oct 2012
@blabo:

You are not alone in this. Your comments match my own thoughts exactly.
The Tomoko in this OVA (or "Episode 13") is essentially a completely different
character than in the 12-Episode TV series. I am fairly sure that the events
in the OVA cannot be made to match up with the flashbacks to Tomoko's middle
school days as described in the manga. So I would say that Episode 13 is out
of canon. Or perhaps we could suppose it is Tomoko in an alternate universe in
which she has a very different personality. Another possibility is that, in OVA 2,
it will start with Tomoko waking up and realizing that OVA 1 was all just a dream.

The script for "OVA 1" was written by Takao Yoshioka (吉岡 たかを). He wrote
the scripts for Episodes 1 and 11 of the series. The storyboard was done by
徳本善信 who also did Episodes 4, 9 and 10.

If you view "OVA 1" with the attitude that the creative team who worked on
the series are taking the same character designs and voice performers and
just having a little fun, then I think you can enjoy it. On the other hand, if
you really want to take it seriously as "Watamote Episode 13" then there are
certainly serious problems with it.

My guess is that this is all just another crazy dream where Tomoko slept
face down again with her pillow stuffed inside her pyjamas.
okanaganNov 4, 2014 1:04 PM
Nov 4, 2014 1:07 PM

Jun 2014
Yeah, it did have a different vibe from the actual show though I still enjoyed it. I ended up giving it a 7 (gave the actual anime a 10) due to it focusing on that guy for half of the episode and not having as many funny scenes as they could of pumped in there. Not bad at all though.
Nov 4, 2014 3:10 PM

Nov 2011
Lmao, the amount of fourth wall being broken is hilarious. I also kinda like how they transited that into the OP song. Ah I miss this shit. It's been over a year since the show has ended.

Idk why but this reminds me a bit of Dusk Maiden of Amnesia with the dusk and rooftop gimmicks and mysterious girl. That was amusing to watch Tomoko's POV though.
Nov 4, 2014 8:06 PM

Aug 2014
That RX-78 Last Shooting reference was awesome. I liked this episode more than most of the TV series.
Sieg Zeon!
Nov 5, 2014 1:00 AM

May 2012
okanagan said:
@blabo:

You are not alone in this. Your comments match my own thoughts exactly.
The Tomoko in this OVA (or "Episode 13") is essentially a completely different
character than in the 12-Episode TV series. I am fairly sure that the events
in the OVA cannot be made to match up with the flashbacks to Tomoko's middle
school days as described in the manga. So I would say that Episode 13 is out
of canon. Or perhaps we could suppose it is Tomoko in an alternate universe in
which she has a very different personality. Another possibility is that, in OVA 2,
it will start with Tomoko waking up and realizing that OVA 1 was all just a dream.

The script for "OVA 1" was written by Takao Yoshioka (吉岡 たかを). He wrote
the scripts for Episodes 1 and 11 of the series. The storyboard was done by
徳本善信 who also did Episodes 4, 9 and 10.

If you view "OVA 1" with the attitude that the creative team who worked on
the series are taking the same character designs and voice performers and
just having a little fun, then I think you can enjoy it. On the other hand, if
you really want to take it seriously as "Watamote Episode 13" then there are
certainly serious problems with it.

My guess is that this is all just another crazy dream where Tomoko slept
face down again with her pillow stuffed inside her pyjamas.
Yeah the characters did seem a bit... Off... in this OVA. Maybe because it's been so long since they made the last episode? I think it's fine since I see it as just another spin off story, but I wouldn't call it "episode 13" considering it has little to do with the manga.

But I notice you keep calling it OVA 1.... Will there be an OVA 2? :D
Nov 5, 2014 1:40 AM

Oct 2011
Cannot believe someone likes Tomoko OMG. Damn they met after 3 years and nothing TwT

Wishing for a season 2 but never gonna happen T__T
Nov 5, 2014 2:02 AM

Oct 2012
SteampunkDalek said:
But I notice you keep calling it OVA 1.... Will there be an OVA 2?

Sorry, good question. At this point, there is no information that there will ever be
another OVA. On the other hand, I have some optimism that we could see more
OVA's bundled with future manga volumes. That makes sense since it is a gag
manga so it is open-ended.

When I say "OVA 1", what I mean is "this OVA now."

When I say "OVA 2", what I mean is "some OVA that might or might not come
out some day in the future."

And there could possibly be "OVA 3" and so on.

SteampunkDalek also said:
I wouldn't call it "episode 13" considering it has little to do with the
manga.

I think that calling this thing "Episode 13" is just going to confuse everybody.

However, in all of the official series information sources such as their Twitter
account and their various webpages, it is never called an "OVA". They
consistently refer to it as "Episode 13" (「喪13」). The kanji 喪 does not
actually mean "episode", but literally means "mourning" or "sadness".

In some cases they call it, "Episode 13, a DVD of all-original animation, that
is included with the special edition of Volume 7 of the manga". (第7巻発売★
初回限定特装版は完全新作オリジナルアニメ「喪13」DVD付きです。 ).

At other times, they refer to it as "The Episode 13 Original Animation DVD"
(OAD「喪13」), although the "D" in "OAD" sometimes refers to a "disc" which
might not necessarily be a DVD.

I recognize the self-consistent logic of their proposed system, but I think it
is a bad idea. By any recognized standard, this is an OVA.
okanaganNov 5, 2014 2:34 AM
Nov 5, 2014 4:42 AM

Jan 2011
Komi-something-san made her anime debut. Eh they could have just put both perspectives in one scene and cut down the run time on this. Still always nice to have more Watamote. Well nice might not be the right word for it...
Nov 5, 2014 8:39 AM

May 2011
I expected a lot more. I still want a second season, though.
Nov 5, 2014 11:04 AM

May 2011
I'm amazed that she ran into someone else who could have gone with that faithful meeting idea. Since I was also pretty embarrassed for him buying into her act that would have been perfect with the level of secondhand embarrassment I feel for Tomoko. :P
Nov 5, 2014 12:38 PM

Mar 2013
This episode reminds me how much I miss Tomoko.
Season 2 when ? T_T
Nov 5, 2014 3:18 PM
Oct 2013
okanagan said:
If you view "OVA 1" with the attitude that the creative team who worked on the series are taking the same character designs and voice performers and just having a little fun, then I think you can enjoy it. On the other hand, if you really want to take it seriously as "Watamote Episode 13" then there are certainly serious problems with it.

Yeah. I tried to see it from a different perspective because maybe I thought that I was missing something but I still don't get it. I can't say that I enjoyed it, since I was watching and waiting for some of the old Watamote material to pop up.

If they are trying something different, then I am more than willing to stick with it and see how this plays out. I'd rather see a show risk doing something different than doing the same thing over and over. The only problem is that if the risk doesn't play off and it goes out into left field, then it can fail.

All in all, if there is a second season, I hope it isn't like the OVA. Once again, no offense to anyone that liked or loved this OVA.
Nov 5, 2014 10:53 PM

Feb 2012
Cringe queen is back!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2014 1:30 PM

Oct 2012
Not bad. I was baffled for the first half but it got clear in the second one.
It was kinda cool how they were passing by each other.
I wish for regular second season though.
Nov 6, 2014 2:01 PM

Jun 2010
It spent the entire episode on one joke?!
Nov 7, 2014 12:19 AM

Apr 2013
Suwabe Junichi now?
Them male characters here all have awesome seiyuu.
Had my laugh and done. Nothing interesting happened at all.
Nov 7, 2014 2:15 AM

Dec 2011
Well... that was quite the start to be honest...

So those things actually happened before high school eh.

Although it seems the 2 versions of what happened are quite funny XD.

So Aomatsu is Tomoki's friend... what a coincidence lol.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Nov 7, 2014 9:50 AM

May 2013
I really liked this anime. hoping for season 2
Nov 7, 2014 7:34 PM

Jul 2012
FlamingYu said:
Suwabe Junichi now?
Them male characters here all have awesome seiyuu.

This was the only thing I cared about. He usually doesn't voice these kinds of average characters (like HSOTD's MC) but when he does...It gets me hyped :3

It was an okay OVA but not funny.
Nov 7, 2014 8:12 PM

Jun 2010
UnbornMVs said:
SteampunkDalek said:
And no Season 2 announcement at the end?!
Pink_Ribbon said:
I still want a second season, though.
Redmyr said:
Season 2 when ? T_T
_DoctorWho_ said:
hoping for season 2

Isn't the whole opening scene a joke on how there won't be a second season? Tomoko assumes there will be and Kiii tells her to face reality. Not to mention its non-stop mockery of stereotypes from otaku shows and contempt for the people who watch them...and not something like this show.
Nov 7, 2014 8:41 PM

Oct 2012
The business people have told me that there is no possibility of a second
season. However, they are letting me produce a DVD to be packaged with
the next manga volume. How foolish they are! My wrath will rain down!

@Fronzel: Thank you for your explanation of the opening scene. I had a lot of
trouble understanding it even after watching it several times. Possibly the people
doing the sub were having some trouble catching the subtlety. Now I can see what
you mean. Poor Yuu-chan doesn't know the word "Yuri" since she is not an anime
otaku. Too busy shopping for blonde hair dye and white thigh socks.
okanaganNov 7, 2014 8:52 PM
Nov 8, 2014 5:29 AM

Jul 2008
I don't know why Komi-chan is on the cover...she gets like one flashback in this episode. I was kind of hoping it would be about their time in middle school or something.
Nov 9, 2014 8:54 PM

Jul 2012
I will never get sick of the opening and ending songs for this show. :D And the lead-in to the opening was great!

Fronzel said:
Isn't the whole opening scene a joke on how there won't be a second season? Tomoko assumes there will be and Kiii tells her to face reality. Not to mention its non-stop mockery of stereotypes from otaku shows and contempt for the people who watch them...and not something like this show.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that assessment. I had to watch that part a few times before it clicked. I also think it's commentary on Tomoko herself, as pretty much everything that's shown and said in the whole pre-opening section of the episode speaks to her insecurities, how she loathes herself and others, and her delusions about not being the primary cause of her own misery.

For those who picked up on the anime references, what was the part before the opening song referencing? I got the distinct impression that that whole section was supposed to be a reference/parody of something that went completely over my head. Also, what the heck is chuunibyou?

I actually think, generally speaking, that this OVA kept really well to the concept of what WataMote is about, it's just that the execution was very different from what the series did. I actually really enjoyed it, though not in quite the same way I enjoyed the series. I don't think the OVA's execution would have worked as well if the series hadn't come before it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Tomoko shown being taller in middle school than in high school was just for visual effect, and isn't meant to be taken literally.

Kokujin-kun said:
blabo said:

Remember, Tomoko apparently doesn't have as much trouble talking to kids who are younger than her (see episodes 6 and 8 for example). So it stands to reason that she was able to put on an act for Aomatsu.

Also, if I remember correctly, it's implied pretty clearly in the series that her social anxiety has gotten worse over time.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Nov 10, 2014 12:24 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The EVA homage was hilarious.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who do you ship Tomoko with? (cast your vote)

okanagan - Oct 31, 2014

26 by DoisacChopper »»
Dec 21, 2022 3:47 AM

» Watamote OVA references and music identification

sido - Sep 30, 2016

6 by Kokujin-kun »»
Nov 21, 2017 5:19 PM

» Why so far off?

HandSonicvI - Sep 13, 2013

22 by CXTKRS1 »»
Oct 27, 2014 11:10 AM

» Any idea on what this will be about?

TornRamos - Sep 7, 2014

2 by Gar_Logan »»
Sep 9, 2014 7:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.