Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 31, 2014 10:06 AM

Oct 2007
It's funny that people are having such intense reactions to this episode considering it's not even actually that kind of work really. I still continue to think this show is succeeding not on what it is but what people really desperately seem to want it to be at the end of the day which is this idealized deep emotionally moving work that will make them cry at the end or something. One of the problems with the adaptation that kind of stands out to me is they're really blowing Kaori's portrayal in particular really badly with all the added slapstick and how they interpret some scenes in making her come off as this unsympathetic manipulative narcissist type who is taking advantage of a guy with nowhere else to turn to whereas this is supposed to be the key part of the story where we realize she's not actually a rock and needs Arima's support as much as he needs hers right now in order to make this performance work. Again very basic idea at play and they kind of blow it by pretty much what feels like trying to make Kaori the star and center of attention who everyone has to measure up to in intensity and spirit when really that's not supposed to be the case.

She's not really supposed to come across as that overbearing and ideal but more as an example of someone that just goes for it with that whole gutsy sort of thing but can only get so far that way cause of the way the establishment is and also because of health related reasons. It's again just supposed to be kind of a simple idea of boy meets girl who helps to drag him out of the abyss and his problems but has problems of her own at the same time. Maybe it's the color palette they're going with but this is very much a pure shonen anime that runs off of raw simplistic emotions and the expected turn of events that come with them....like the whole collapsing thing.
Oct 31, 2014 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
surfboard_ said:
-Skyleo- said:
"Perfection" does not exist in the musical world, but "interpretation" does.

One thing doesn't invalidate the other. It's pretty obvious that you can't achieve a perfect performance for all perspectives, but it doesn't mean you should neglect the very concept of perfection and do whatever you want because "ITS MY BODY, MY PERFORMANCE, MY FEELINGS" (its not even wrong to approach those ideas and blend with the score, but theres a balance, unless you just want to have fun with your mates)

Can't agree more.
Nonetheless, what I wanted to add is that this "perfection" implies two things : what we call "virtuosity" (technical stuff), and your "own lecture of the score" (read between the lines, it deals with intuition imo). The first is objective, and the latter is subjective.
As a result, I think music "perfection" is not as 'simple' as a mathematical formula. It's a "subjective perfection". It can be madly accurate but still, perfection in music always implies personal choices between two or more 'right answers'.

surfboard_ said:

-Skyleo- said:
Btw, if I refer to your idea of "perfection" ('human metronome'), then I think it would be too simple to be a professional musician.
Competition or not, when you have to do music, you do music. That's about it.

Well, your idea of perfection itself is pretty flawed ("human metronome"), unless you think its the ultimate goal for a performer. By the way, to be perfectly on tempo isn't something simple or even bad (muh robotic performance), and even if you're a human metronome, no way it would sound as if you're a robot.

This idea of perfection is not mine, this is Komandos' one.
Yes, to be perfectly on tempo isn't something simple, but usually, the score doesn't show in black and white the exact tempo to follow. It's here when you can see the difference between a 'robotic performance' and a 'human interpretation'.
Even in classical music like Mozart, Haydn or firsts Beethoven sonatas, for example, how you can see the exact tempo to follow when the score only indicates "allegro ma non troppo" ? What is an exact "rubato" ? A "diminuendo" ? What is the exact duration of a "fermata" ?

Perfection means the musician should be able to see the music behind the score, and not just get stuck in front of the score. We're not supposed to be MIDI player, we are musicians.

I sincerely think you can sound as if you're robot if there is no soul to your interpretation. Music deals with passion and not just effort. Effort without passion is worthless. Moreover, the composer himself who writes the score has a soul.

It doesn't mean that you are here to show that "ITS MY BODY, MY PERFORMANCE, MY FEELINGS", I agree with you on that, and I don't like this kind of performer such as Lang Lang. I think there are more prompt to show themselves than to show music. They are boring.

surfboard_ said:

The score its basically everything. Its how you write your musical ideas, concepts and thoughts (an art tradition). Music until the last century survived through the score (with the exception of folk music). Performance and interpretation is just how you can play and think about the original composition. One of the reasons that classical compositions are always refreshing its because we'll never get to see the same performance twice (unless you're checking a recording), so you can always obtain different opinions about it (an easy example is the classical posture in conducting the 5th Symphony of Beethoven versus the romantic approach). But above it all, the score remains at the top of everything.

100% agree.
The only thing I wanted to add is : to read the score and understanding it are two different things. There is actually a lot of hidden story on a score, and good musicians are able to see, or sense them.

surfboard_ said:

You just demonstrated a process to reach "perfection", your own effort to make it the best performance possible for yourself.

Yup.

surfboard_ said:

"... but the score doesn't always matter"

Can you cite examples in classical music where it doesn't always matter?

Sorry for my english skill. I mean... That's not what I meant.
What I wanted to say is that the score doesn't always show explicitely how to play properly the music.

Personally, I'm not a pianist virtuoso (it isn't my goal anyway, my main study is 'composition', in a classical way which means I study harmony, orchestration and all that jazz), so my exemple may not be the more appropriates.

I play this piece for exemple : Ravel - A la manière de Borodine
As you can see, in the first part (from the beginning to 0.31) and in the first F-clef, the higher note is a F constantly repeated. But what is hidden is that this higher note is not the most important one, the score hide the fact that the actual melody is just below (it makes = Bb-Bb-C, Db-Db-C, Bb-Bb-C, Db... and so on). The rhythm of this melody makes us understand the 'waltz' character of the piece. As a consequence, if the performer wants to show this to listeners, he will soften the volume of the constant 'F' in order to bring to light the melody.
And the score doesn't show this explicitely, it's just an interpretation through intuition of what the score implies for a musically trained ear.

In the same vein, I played this little Shumann 'Phantasietanz', 2 years ago at a piano exam : Schumann Albumblätter Op.124 - 5. Phantasietanz
You can see that, after the 4 first mesures, the score doesn't really show that all the difficulty of this part is that the more important thing, the melody, is on the left hand, totally in the medium range.
The legato symbol is just a key hint to find the meaning of this piece.
Note that Jörg Demus decided to, for the first time (this part have to be play two times), enhance the medium melody in the RIGHT hand (with all the syncopation), then, for the reprise, enhance the melody of the top of the LEFT hand. And it works because, even if the right hand doen't have legato symbol, one of the musical lines do have the same note (an ocatve higher) as the melody in F-clef. The score show nothing about this choice of interpretation, it's exactly the same part, there is just a reprise symbol. Although the score show ONE thing, the pianist play it in TWO different way. It's interesting sounding, because in that way, the first time, we, above all, hear the 'resonance' of the melody (the melody seems to be "off beat"), and then, the second time, we hear the actual melody on the left hand, more clearer than on the right hand because the melody is more defined, we have a more concrete idea about the rhythm.
It's his interpretation, Marco Lo Muscio didn't interpret the score like this for exemple.

surfboard_ said:

Le meme Suzuki xD (welp, I shouldn't say this since I'm attending a school that uses this method)

Funny things, since I don't know well the Suzuki method, lol.
I just read something about that, and it's true that I can sense that his vision of a good musician is pretty similar to mine.
However, I think I'm more closer to Alfred Cortot point of view imo.

surfboard_ said:

This happens very often with me, its pretty awkward to go through a whole show by just hitting the notes and hoping that everything will be fine. I wonder if its a dicease or just some minor psychological problem, I gotta look up for it.

I guess this is because we tend to focus on so many details, so many notes, so many nuances, that we can lost the general picture of the score in the process. =)

As a conclusion, I want to say that I generally really agree with you. I just want to nuance some notions because it can be misinterpreted for a non-musician.
But, ultimately, I agree with you.
removed-userOct 31, 2014 11:05 AM
Oct 31, 2014 10:32 AM
Aug 2013
Wooooo amazing ending
Anime will be close to a masterpiece well to be honest I find it already is
Oct 31, 2014 11:03 AM

Feb 2013
Skipped over half the ep as it was unnecessary.
Jesus can walk on water. Cucumbers are 96% water. I can walk on cucumbers. I'm 96% Jesus.
Oct 31, 2014 11:07 AM

Oct 2007
shirozuki said:

They really stretched out the concert scene as much as possible. A-1 LOVES the set piece treatment these days where they center an episode around a particular idea or scene so really no surprise there. They're not very good at the overalls, nor pacing for that matter, so they need to really focus on and emphasize particulars in order to have their shows stand out more. I guess whatever works for them, which it clearly does at least when it comes to the MAL and Crunchyroll crowd who are all about living in the hype moment as opposed to looking at the bigger overall picture.
Oct 31, 2014 12:31 PM

Dec 2011
Bravo! Such a nice episode... seeing Kousei in the Zone with those laser eyes. Hahaha.

Really love the fact that they are fighting through their music, such a nice combo... and also Kaori's line to Kousei, don't steal my thunder!

And no! She collapsed... the foreshadowing and now the collapse... this is going to be sad if this goes on this route.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2014 12:38 PM

Oct 2014
Bravo, bravo, for the moment there I thought I'm gonna hate Kousei, now happen to Kaori?
Oct 31, 2014 12:50 PM
Nov 2013
And while everyone marvels at how excellent this episode was I can't stop wondering who actually plays the violin for the anime O_O
Oh well, can't be helped. Fellow musician here.

if anyone knows pls tell me though, this'll drive me mad
Oct 31, 2014 1:13 PM

Nov 2011
The emotional portion of the show is quite intoxicating, though not necessarily enjoyable. Kousei's internal flair for the dramatic is portrayed excellently; this is melodrama used properly. Still, it is melodrama, so it will be a turn off to some.

The real problem is thus: Most of the last episode consisted of Kaori and Tsubaki bullying Kousei into this performance. When you take that and combine it with the (literally) bloody comedy and portray it as a good thing, it cheapens the emotion and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Yes, Kousei does need a push. Yes, playing the piano may be exactly what he needs. No, forcing him into the situation is not how it should be accomplished. In a more realistic scenario, Kousei would likely end up resenting Kaori/Tsubaki... unless he thinks he deserves the abuse, in which case they're no better to him than his mother was.

Thanks to the above, I'm not sure what to think of the anime at this point. It has a lot of good and bad ideas going on at the same time. It also has the potential for depth, but what is the message they're trying to convey here?

I just think Kousei's problem is being handled insensitively.

There's a lot of hypocrisy here too. Everyone wants Kousei to "man up"; I doubt many would be as insensitive if he was a girl. It's double standards.
TripleSRankOct 31, 2014 1:18 PM
Oct 31, 2014 3:28 PM

Jul 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It's funny that people are having such intense reactions to this episode considering it's not even actually that kind of work really.

I said the same thing when I went to Clannad After Story's threads and Ano Hana's. Oh, even Akame ga Kill's. Anime watchers are just overly emotional.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
shirozuki said:

They really stretched out the concert scene as much as possible.

If you've ever watched Nodame Cantabile or any other classical music anime (La Corda D'Oro for example), the concerts take up half an episode...Which I don't mind at all because I like listening to the small details, pitches, dynamics and everything in the music. If you thought that it was necessary to skip half of it, you probably don't respect the music enough to sit through it. ;)
Oct 31, 2014 4:02 PM

Aug 2012
This show really needs the 'Show, don't tell' treatment. Too much time was just spent on the internal monologues, even if there were already effect aural and visual cues from the anime itself to send the message off without spoonfeeding the audience with every single explanation as if they couldn't think for themselves.

That's why this episode felt really melodramatic in almost excessive amounts. Almost.
Oct 31, 2014 4:08 PM

Jul 2014
[quote=mayukachan
Kaioshin_Sama said:
shirozuki said:
Skipped over half the ep as it was unnecessary
They really stretched out the concert scene as much as possible.

If you've ever watched Nodame Cantabile or any other classical music anime (La Corda D'Oro for example), the concerts take up half an episode...Which I don't mind at all because I like listening to the small details, pitches, dynamics and everything in the music. If you thought that it was necessary to skip half of it, you probably don't respect the music enough to sit through it. ;)

^This is exactly my thoughts.
Stupid Crowd, Judging Arima so quickly, calling him rubbish, and then at the End they were calling them brilliant. Such Hypocrytes
Anyway it's a great episode ^_^

Oct 31, 2014 4:29 PM

May 2014
Kousei entered the zone XD

But really.
Kaori visits a hospital.
She has a continuing thing about wanting to be remembered.
Then she collapses.
I AM WORRIED.
Oct 31, 2014 4:46 PM

Nov 2011
Beaver897 said:
This show really needs the 'Show, don't tell' treatment. Too much time was just spent on the internal monologues, even if there were already effect aural and visual cues from the anime itself to send the message off without spoonfeeding the audience with every single explanation as if they couldn't think for themselves.

That's why this episode felt really melodramatic in almost excessive amounts. Almost.

I think the monologues are appropriate, at least in Kousei's case. He's the type of character that thinks far more than he talks. We wouldn't know what's going on with him internally as well if his thoughts weren't shown.

mayukachan said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It's funny that people are having such intense reactions to this episode considering it's not even actually that kind of work really.

I said the same thing when I went to Clannad After Story's threads and Ano Hana's. Oh, even Akame ga Kill's. Anime watchers are just overly emotional.

It doesn't have as much to do with people being overly emotional as it does with how well one can relate to a work. Clannad, though horrible from a critical standpoint, leaves a lot of blanks for the (male) viewer to insert; it's pandering to men's protective tendencies. With Anohana, the loss of a loved one or friend would make it a lot more poignant, I think; it was actually pretty good apart from the wailing.

The same thing could even be said of more critically acclaimed works, such as 5cm/second. If you've never had your heart broken (or fallen in love, for that matter), it's not going to do much for you in the emotional department.
TripleSRankOct 31, 2014 4:50 PM
Oct 31, 2014 4:50 PM

Jan 2013
the people saying "bravo" adequately sum up why this show is popular.
Oct 31, 2014 5:03 PM

Jul 2012
TripleSRank said:
It doesn't have as much to do with people being overly emotional as it does with how well one can relate to a work. Clannad, though horrible from a critical standpoint, leaves a lot of blanks for the (male) viewer to insert; it's pandering to men's protective tendencies. With Anohana, the loss of a loved one or friend would make it a lot more poignant, I think; it was actually pretty good apart from the wailing.

The same thing could even be said of more critically acclaimed works, such as 5cm/second. If you've never had your heart broken (or fallen in love, for that matter), it's not going to do much for you in the emotional department.

Sorry, wasn't trying to bash any show lol. My point was that questioning why lots of people get emotional over this episode in a negative standpoint is the same thing as questioning why anime watchers cry over the other shows. It's not as if this show is less compared to those in the emotional department.
Oct 31, 2014 5:03 PM

Oct 2014
It's a long history but, I used to play violin and piano and now I can't. I don't even remember how to read sheet music. When I see this kind of anime, I get so many feels that I have to hold my tears. One of my dreams is to learn it again, because I miss it so damn much.
This performance was even better than the last one. The manga is probably amazing as the anime, but I can't imagine a music-themed manga without music. It's like kare rice without curry (´。_。`)

君だよ 君なんだよ 教えてくれた 暗闇も光るなら 星空になる
悲しみを笑顔に もう隠さないで きらめくどんな星も君を照らすから~~
I can't stop singing Hikaru Nara ಥ‿ಥ
Wait, did you just say that Jojo is shit?
Oct 31, 2014 5:48 PM

Feb 2014
-Skyleo- said:
What I wanted to say is that the score doesn't always show explicitely how to play properly the music.

Oh I see. Thats very right, and for this very reason composers like Erik Satie (not a BIG deal, but the performers always surprises me) stands out.
By the way, I'm tipping my fedora (hahaha) for you take on Ravel, it sounds french as fuck.
Oct 31, 2014 6:07 PM

Oct 2013
Marvelous.
I was worried that this was going to be another generic rom-com with classical music in the background to delude the viewer from seeing what it is.....
I am a human.
Oct 31, 2014 6:11 PM

Aug 2014
I liked the performance for the most part, but all of the over-blown drama and horrible characterization makes this show really hard to watch at times. This show has yet to strike me as emotional or deep. They've beat us over the head with Kousei's childhood problems for 4 episodes without really dealing with it. Enough is enough. I don't know what they're trying to achieve with the blood dripping down his head and acting like it's normal, but it's creepy.
Oct 31, 2014 6:15 PM

Jan 2013
AppoX said:
Marvelous.
I was worried that this was going to be another generic rom-com with classical music in the background to delude the viewer from seeing what it is.....

thats what this is
Oct 31, 2014 6:48 PM

Oct 2013
Man this anime is amazing
O WTF that ending D:
kaori is fucking adorable
[/quote]
Oct 31, 2014 7:06 PM

Oct 2007
TripleSRank said:
Beaver897 said:

I think the monologues are appropriate, at least in Kousei's case. He's the type of character that thinks far more than he talks. We wouldn't know what's going on with him internally as well if his thoughts weren't shown.

mayukachan said:

Pretty much

SolvitePriest said:
AppoX said:
Marvelous.

thats what this is

Again SolviteSekai continues to make among the most sense to me and is making the truest statements to me these days. This is what it's come to lol. Interesting times for sure.
PeacingOutOct 31, 2014 7:11 PM
Oct 31, 2014 7:08 PM

Jan 2013
It was so deep when they said music is freedom.

That is a deep statement. It isn't pretentious.

Can someone explain what "music is freedom" means? I'm an idiot so i dont get the symbolism.
Oct 31, 2014 7:14 PM

Oct 2007
SolvitePriest said:

Can someone explain what "music is freedom" means? I'm an idiot so i dont get the symbolism.

I don't know since I've never heard of music described in such abstract terms. Sounds just kind of like happy go lucky anime dialogue writing to me that fits in with what this show kind of is at times. Its very anti establishment like most shonen anime so perhaps that's an angle it's continuing to work.
Oct 31, 2014 7:18 PM

Jan 2013
The characters in this show are terrible.

Generic Shounen MC who is sad because of bullshit normalfag problems.
Generic Shoujo Female Who is perfect in every way and completely unrealistic.
Generic Female Best Friend who secretly loves the mc but pushes him into a relationship anyway and later regrets it.
Generic Male Best friend who gets all the girls but is actually lonely, and probably loves generic female best friend.
Oct 31, 2014 7:35 PM

Oct 2013
Beautiful, gorgeous, amazing. Bravo indeed! The performance in episode 2 was so powerful, so moving. This one turned the ENTIRE EPISODE into the performance and was benefited greatly as a result. Truly splendid.

Furthermore, this may be the first time watching an anime where I wanted so badly to give the MALE MC a hug. Kousei's internal struggles deeply resonate with me. I don't see how he can be cast off as a generic lead. Most generic leads with problems don't have real problems. Kousei essentially has PTSD from his mother's passing and constant abuse he suffered under her iron fist as a child. How is that unrealistic? His monologues and reactions are entirely believable, and, more importantly, make him a powerful character.
ZadionOct 31, 2014 9:06 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 31, 2014 7:39 PM

Oct 2013
SolvitePriest said:

Liberation. Have you ever felt so connected to something, so deeply moved by something that it feels like it washes away every problem and anxiety in your life? For many musicians and many music lovers, that is what music is. It liberates them from mental shackles. In this particular case, the "freedom" being referred to is freedom from Kousei's trauma, among perhaps other, less important things.

That's my perspective on it, anyway.

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 31, 2014 7:42 PM

Jan 2013
Zadion said:
SolvitePriest said:

Liberation. Have you ever felt so connected to something, so deeply moved by something that it feels like it washes away every problem and anxiety in your life? For many musicians and many music lovers, that is what music is. It liberates them from mental shackles. In this particular case, the "freedom" being referred to is freedom from Kousei's trauma, among perhaps other, less important things.

That's my perspective on it, anyway.

I just cant. lol

Sorry you and kyousei have mean parents i guess. Write a book about it.
Oct 31, 2014 7:44 PM

Aug 2014
Finally woken up Kousei from his troubled past. Knew something was wrong with Kaori from last episode now it is confirmed.

Overall a great episode, hope nothing bad will happen to Kaori in future episode.
DrakehawkOct 31, 2014 7:57 PM
Oct 31, 2014 7:47 PM

Jan 2013
Are we still acting like having a mother who makes you play the piano is a troubled past?

My mom made me play baseball. You dont see me crying about it.
Oct 31, 2014 7:48 PM

Jul 2012
SolvitePriest said:
Are we still acting like having a mother who makes you play the piano is a troubled past?

Sports =/= music
Oct 31, 2014 7:53 PM

Aug 2013
mayukachan said:
SolvitePriest said:

Sports =/= music

It's because his mom ( most of the time ) wouldn't allow him to have fun and play with the other kids. He didn't enjoy his childhood + she used to hit him and wouldn't cut him a slack even if he cried. She also forced her own dream onto him.
Oct 31, 2014 8:13 PM

Oct 2013
SolvitePriest said:

I might just be reading more into it than was actually shown, but I don't believe Kousei's case was just a typical case of "my parent made me do something I don't wanna do."

If we assume the 7-8 hours a day studying the piano is NOT an exaggeration, combine it with the fact she was forcing her dream upon him, then pump it up into an abusive relationship where she would hit him for making mistakes, I'd say that's a pretty serious thing. I dunno about other places, but you can, like, get arrested for this kinda shit where I live.

Piano > baseball though

SolvitePriest said:
I just cant. lol

Sorry you and kyousei have mean parents i guess. Write a book about it.

although I did suffer abuse as a child, it wasn't anything remotely like Kousei's experience seems to be. I was speaking more or less from an empathetic perspective, not personal one.

will do though.
ZadionOct 31, 2014 8:17 PM

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 31, 2014 8:59 PM

Nov 2011
SolvitePriest said:

Nice job throwing every person who's ever been abused under the bus. Not cool.

You can criticize a show without being obnoxious about it.

Someone who hasn't lived under abuse couldn't imagine what it's like.
Oct 31, 2014 9:00 PM

Jan 2013
mayukachan said:
SolvitePriest said:

Sports =/= music

I know. Nobody playing sports would be the level of whiny vagina Kyousei has acheived.
Oct 31, 2014 9:09 PM

Nov 2011
SolvitePriest said:
mayukachan said:

Sports =/= music

I know. Nobody playing sports would be the level of whiny **** Kyousei has acheived.

Playing sports isn't the same as playing music. At all. Music is considerably more stressful and less fun depending on how it's taught. When you add his mother's abusing him and his young age on top of that, it would be more unreasonable for him to not be scarred.
Oct 31, 2014 9:15 PM
Jul 2018
surfboard_ said:

Oh I see. Thats very right, and for this very reason composers like Erik Satie (not a BIG deal, but the performers always surprises me) stands out.

Yup, totally agree once again.
I knew we're on the same side. :)

surfboard_ said:

By the way, I'm tipping my fedora (hahaha) for you take on Ravel, it sounds french as fuck.

Haha, yeah, it's a bit problematic since I'm french but... I just love french composers from the 20th century lol, I just can't help it. You can make fun of me, I'll don't blame you for it.

SolvitePriest said:

*facepalm*

This guy.
This guy.
Oct 31, 2014 9:16 PM

Sep 2008
TripleSRank said:
Playing sports isn't the same as playing music. At all. Music is considerably more stressful and less fun depending on how it's taught.
Playing music isn't the same as playing sport. At all. Sport is considerably more stressful and less fun depending on how it's taught.

See how that statement sounds just as valid as yours? Yeah. It's because they're both wrong.
Oct 31, 2014 9:17 PM

Jul 2012
SolvitePriest said:
I know. Nobody playing sports would be the level of whiny vagina Kyousei has acheived.

You obviously haven't been through the Asian piano childhood lol

TripleSRank said:
Playing sports isn't the same as playing music. At all. Music is considerably more stressful and less fun depending on how it's taught. When you add his mother's abusing him and his young age on top of that, it would be more unreasonable for him to not be scarred.

This. Music is like forcing your 6 year old quadratic equations. (I mean, in the situation where the child doesn't want to do it)
Oct 31, 2014 9:23 PM

Jul 2012
SolvitePriest said:
All the fedora tipping and "trust me guys im a concert pianist" lying going on in this thread is proof that this show targets the pretentious crowd.

I'm not a concert pianist (lol I suck at piano actually). I've wanted to pursue a career in music but I've never been "that" good as professionals. And you keep on making baseless assumptions when you have not been through the same things as the characters. It's actually more stressful than you think it is.
Oct 31, 2014 9:32 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
SolvitePriest said:

You obviously haven't been through the Asian piano childhood lol

My parents tried to make me learn piano when I was 4, but I was too tough for 'em.

mayukachan said:
TripleSRank said:

This. Music is like forcing your 6 year old quadratic equations. (I mean, in the situation where the child doesn't want to do it)

If you ask me, quadratic equations should be an elementary school topic. Kids really ought to know differential and integral calculus by the time they start high school.
Oct 31, 2014 9:33 PM

Jan 2013
This show is Ano Natsu but with music instead of aliens.

BTW simply saying "I dont think im pretentious" before you say pretentious things doesnt somehow make them humble.

Example.

"I dont think I'm a piano-virtuoso or anything, but the stress of being a musician isnt something the ordinary person can understand."

I promise you, you have no idea what sources of stress others in this thread have to deal with. It's generally a bad idea to pull the focus off of the realism onto the character, and into anecdotal self promotion.
Oct 31, 2014 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
SolvitePriest said:

"I dont think I'm a piano-virtuoso or anything, but the stress of being a musician isnt something the ordinary person can understand."

Oh, did I say that ?
Oct 31, 2014 10:39 PM

Nov 2011
SolvitePriest said:
mayukachan said:

I'm not a concert pianist (lol I suck at piano actually). I've wanted to pursue a career in music but I've never been "that" good as professionals. And you keep on making baseless assumptions when you have not been through the same things as the characters. It's actually more stressful than you think it is.

Stop assuming every one of my comments is personally directed at you.

Nice job dodging her point about you making baseless assumptions.

Also, how are anyone's points here related to people trying to sell themselves as having refined taste? There's no basis for that either. It's called an ad hominem, something I'm sure you're used to having used against you.

SolvitePriest said:

Example.

I promise you, you have no idea what sources of stress others in this thread have to deal with. It's generally a bad idea to pull the focus off of the realism onto the character, and into anecdotal self promotion.

We're not talking about other kinds of stress. That is totally unrelated to the current argument. We're talking about forcing someone to do something extremely difficult perfectly, in a relentless and unforgiving manner. We're not even talking about the stress of being a musician in a general sense: We're talking about child abuse. Child abuse. Child abuse.

Child abuse definitely qualifies as a troubled past.

I'm really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here. Are you going to keep dodging/ignoring the point?
TripleSRankOct 31, 2014 10:44 PM
Oct 31, 2014 10:44 PM

Jan 2013
Child Abuse is pretty grimdark.

No wonder this show has an 8.0.
Oct 31, 2014 10:46 PM

Oct 2007
SolvitePriest said:
The characters in this show are terrible.

Generic Shounen MC who is sad because of bullshit normalfag problems.
Generic Shoujo Female Who is perfect in every way and completely unrealistic.
Generic Female Best Friend who secretly loves the mc but pushes him into a relationship anyway and later regrets it.
Generic Male Best friend who gets all the girls but is actually lonely, and probably loves generic female best friend.

Lets not like overdo it lol. I agreed plenty with the whole lets not just jizz over another show that looks stylistically pretty before we've even really gotten a chance to see how it actually all plays out bit. It's....unseemly and rarely feels genuine. At the same time though I see little reason to sell the show completely short when it's still in it's early phases and the characters are still just being introduced kind of flawed as the translation from manga to anime may be as is often the case with shorter series with little time to spare which noitaminA kind of exemplifies. In short enough with all the mad rushes to attach labels to and evaluate stuff so bloody early into the run. Slow down for once in a while folks, take stuff in let it seep in for a couple of whiles and then when you can write something definitive and concise then start attributing things to the show.
Oct 31, 2014 10:50 PM

Nov 2011
SolvitePriest said:
Child Abuse is pretty grimdark.

No wonder this show has an 8.0.

So you're just going to handwave the whole counter argument rather than address it? After all of the negative comments you've made?

If you have no counter argument yourself, this is just baseless hating.

Again, nice job belittling anyone who's been through abuse. That's very rude and offensive.

Having a dark or depressive backstory doesn't automatically make a show bad. They're portraying Kousei's internal drama in a realistic manner. If you say dark backgrounds or internal drama is inherently bad, then I don't think I have anything more to say to you.
TripleSRankOct 31, 2014 10:55 PM
Oct 31, 2014 11:05 PM

Dec 2007
SolvitePriest said:

SolvitePriest said:

To me it means being free with your mind. Similar to how flying allows you to fly like a bird, writing stories allows you to venture to other worlds, drawing art allowing you see things one normally wouldn't see. Music is the same way with how it speaks to you in a stronger manner than language. Music is universal that it can help speak to others, help the ill feel healthier, and just connect you spiritually to things you would need a high level in your native tongue to.

Connect music to flying and art and you'll get a basic or complex idea. Allow your mind to wander and to speak. Allow yourself to express. Think of the performances in ep 3 or so when Arima was observing Kaori playing for the first time with how "dull" everybody sounded to then have Kaori break the mold. Music is supposed to be unchained and unleashed.

As for the actual meaning I'm sure I'm close to it, just a bit off here and there.
Oct 31, 2014 11:09 PM

Mar 2012
My god, I swear I thought I was a part of the audience when they were playing. I mean, I forgot I was allowed to eat my food in front of me during that; I was completely mesmerized. That is until Kousei stopped playing midway due to his trauma. Dang though, I really do empathize with him and I'm really glad that he was able to sort things out in his head thanks to Kaori.

But Kaori at the end though... D: So that hospital foreshadowing was related directly to her then?
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1177 by ojarlos »»
May 11, 12:06 PM

Poll: » What do you think of the character artstyle?

Mallony - Oct 10, 2014

40 by Keytee1 »»
May 5, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.