Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 24, 2014 9:58 PM

Dec 2008
I just found out that aside from the manga and anime it also have an drama TV series of this show and I went to watch the first EP but I was chocked at how different it was from the anime.

As I have not read the manga I was wondering if that anime followed the manga closely or pretty close with slight changes or what?

In the drama for example instead of meeting with kichou father he mets with her brother, it starts of with him at some sort of school festival instead of at school there are plenty of differences and honestly compared to the anime it was pretty tedious to watch. I don't see Jii at all around him and instead of trying to cute him tsune-chan tries to set him into commit seppuku...
Oct 25, 2014 2:25 AM

Aug 2009
The basic premise is the same but it's way different. jdrama adaptations tend to change things as they see fit so accept it for what it is if you want a painless experience.

I view it as an alternate universe retelling and enjoy it as such. I don't mind the grittier take on the source material but I'll never get used to Saburo as a coward. The manga/anime Saburo was charismatic and took what the world threw at him in stride, because there was no use in worrying over what he couldn't control.
Then there's Kichou totally thrown out the window in favor of a "strong" female character simply because that dynamic with her coward of a husband works better.

The anime was pretty faithful to the manga with some nuanced differences (when Tsuneoki attacked Saburo he wore all white, implicating he would kill himself afterwards--in the manga he hires some farmers to attack him, and he steps in to finish the job). Though because it was 7 and 1/2 volumes of material compressed to 10 episodes a few notable/major(?) characters and events were lost, so the anime is also an alternate retelling of the source material in its own way. I really want a season 2. Or at least for the manga to get licensed!
Oct 25, 2014 6:57 AM

Dec 2008
Chalis said:
I'll never get used to Saburo as a coward. The manga/anime Saburo was charismatic and took what the world threw at him in stride, because there was no use in worrying over what he couldn't control.

THAT'S exactly what I had as impression of it, I just couldn't bear watching the rest of it with that pathetic Saburo... I like how it gives you that fool's air in the anime but he is actually deeply thinking things thru...

Chalis said:
The anime was pretty faithful to the manga with some nuanced differences (when Tsuneoki attacked Saburo he wore all white, implicating he would kill himself afterwards--in the manga he hires some farmers to attack him, and he steps in to finish the job).

I did think some things were cut or changed but I think what they did in the drama was way overboard, I guess it was their only course of action given a coward perhaps he would actually agree to accept defeat(wish he did) and going for a seppuku walk(which he didn't) but maybe he will grow from those in the drama (who knows)?

Chalis said:
Though because it was 7 and 1/2 volumes of material compressed to 10 episodes a few notable/major(?) characters and events were lost, so the anime is also an alternate retelling of the source material in its own way. I really want a season 2. Or at least for the manga to get licensed!

I won't say I would strive for a 2nd season but at least a 4eps OVA or a movie to make it a case closed with proper ending.

Thanks for replying.
Jan 3, 2015 2:44 AM

May 2012
I watch the drama and I really like it, very detailed and the characters are well developed, it always gave me feels..
Im in love with Kicho :D
the differences doesnt bother me as long as the main point is the same..

Jan 3, 2015 9:45 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't like the cowardly Saburo as well, but his character developed quite nicely and I actually like his relationship with Kichou more than in the anime.

I wonder how the whole Mitsuhide situation is developing in the manga if the anime has been faithful to it. The drama made it quite obvious Mitshuhide/Nobunaga was eventually going to turn against Saburo, but in the anime he seems very loyal to him.
Jan 30, 2015 9:10 AM

Dec 2008
They changed so much of it to turn it into an actual drama that it simple lost it scent, it became something else adapted to the TV where they could have kept it as is and would have prob achieve a bigger audience then with all the changes.

There were some parts that were good but that's it they changed way too much from how it was.

Very displeased with the live drama.

I hope one day, they will think: "What if I were to actually faithfully follow the novel or manga or whatever I am using despite the age rating..."
Aug 26, 2015 3:56 PM

Feb 2013
disappointed with the drama adaptations...mostly the character of Saburo...
Sep 13, 2015 12:04 PM

Mar 2010
watched/read all of it. There wasn't alot of change from anime/manga but there are a few new things in the manga.

the ending/live action movie is going to come out next year =3=
Jan 12, 2016 8:42 PM

Apr 2011
Just watch drama, didn't like the anime at all.
~♥~ Otaku + Otaku - Otaku = Otaku ~♥~
May 27, 2017 6:30 PM

Mar 2016
Maybe it's just because I haven't read the manga, but I personally enjoyed the drama much more. I felt more of an attatchment to the characters, and I understood what was going on better than in the anime. I also liked the more 'complete' feeling of the drama's ending. Perhaps that's because the drama had more time to do those things, though.

Meanwhile, what I really wanna know is how historically accurate the events that take place are. Obviously the plotline of the story is pure fiction, but are the battle stories retold properly (in any of the versions)?
BlondieMay 27, 2017 7:10 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nobunaga Concerto Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2014

133 by calebagio »»
May 1, 2:16 PM

Poll: » Nobunaga Concerto Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2014

49 by erenmeii »»
Dec 5, 2021 9:06 PM

Poll: » Nobunaga Concerto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2014

51 by erenmeii »»
Dec 5, 2021 9:05 PM

Poll: » Nobunaga Concerto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2014

117 by Kristiwazhere »»
Aug 20, 2020 1:33 PM

» What is exactly different in the animation of Nobunaga Concerto?

Kashirou - May 21, 2017

1 by KonoDioDakeda »»
Sep 18, 2019 12:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.