Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2014 4:24 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Obviously based on the 1941 raid on Peal Harbor by which Japan opened war on the USA. Interesting to see a depiction of events that so enraged Americans from the other side. I find the depiction of the peacefulness of "Demon Island" (i.e. Hawaii) makes the Japanese animal-people look pretty bad, though.

The large, loutish "demon" sailor seems clearly based on Bluto from Popeye cartoons.

The propaganda content aside, the interactions of the animal characters had some humor to it, making this a lot more entertaining than the later film Momotarou: Umi no Shinpei, which was more intent on jingoism.

If I'm not mistaken a few shots of planes or ships actually made use of miniatures rather than animation, which isn't something I've seen before. Perhaps it was done because these are relatively detailed objects and animating a moving shot of them was difficult. Animation is used during shots with lots of motion, such as during the bombing, and the ships are comparatively simply rendered.
Nov 7, 2014 9:11 AM

May 2012
Quite interesting to see a different standpoint of the events and to see how Japan handled the propaganda shows for these kind of war events.

Pretty interesting and wondering what the sequel will provide us with!
Jan 20, 2015 9:09 AM

Feb 2008
So was the short where Popeye attacks a Japanese boat the answer to this?

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 21, 2015 10:18 AM

Jun 2010
ZetaZaku said:
So was the short where Popeye attacks a Japanese boat the answer to this?

I wonder if there was any way for anyone in America to know about this short. Regardless, I don't think American cartoon studios needed encouragement from the Japanese to make their own war propaganda shorts. There's tons of them!
Dec 25, 2015 1:41 PM

Jul 2014
The monkey riding the torpedo made me think of the Kubrick movie that had yet to come.
The propaganda is strong in this one, but they sure put a lot of effort into it. The qualiy is good. I really liked the Momotaro character design.
Oct 11, 2018 10:38 AM

May 2016
For a film made in the 1940's, I'd say that the animation's pretty fluid and up to date at the time but the execution of the story leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the planes that attacked Pearl Harbor blew themselves up without the fighter pilots riding on their bombs banzai-style only to get blasted back to their planes unscathed but that's propaganda for you~ It'd would've been pretty funny if Imperial Japanese soldiers actually managed or even attempted to do that though.

I'm not really a fan of the Japanese using recognizable cartoon characters from the West to portray the opposition in their propaganda films since it breaks the immersion because of the rather half-assed executions I guess but I suppose that it'd be ridiculous to ask for that in a film that starred animals and the guy who popped out from a peach.

Jan 13, 2019 6:27 PM

Oct 2015
Momotarou's army was really organized, they were able to improvise and retreat well. I'm also glad torpedo bomber no. 3 came back thanks to the bird whose baby bird they previously saved. I guess there were no casualties on their side, and were able to annihilate demon island with no mercy. Poor buff guy, even when he surrendered. Too bad Momotarou doesn't participate in these operations and only sends his animals.

This was propaganda anime, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 5, 2020 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
More like a date which will live in adorability, amiright.

Interesting work, with occasionally surprising attention to detail. Fairly high quality of animation for the period.

I am curious if the idea of troops parachuting in and sabotaging planes was something that the general public considered as being a part of war, or if that was an entirely original creation for the plot.

I actually almost thought that torpedo bomber #3 wasn't going to make it back for a second, which would've earned it some bonus points.
May 4, 2021 1:55 PM
Oct 2020
besides the historical part of the anime, I can just say that I loved Momotaro's cute companions.
Aug 9, 2023 10:58 PM

Dec 2021
I like seeing these old propaganda films cause you know how it ends.
Oct 7, 2023 3:45 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to IDontKnowWhatTPl
I like seeing these old propaganda films cause you know how it ends.
@IDontKnowWhatTPl they will win!! with momotarou by their side there's nothing to fear!!
𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 π’Ύπ“ˆ π’Ώπ“Šπ“ˆπ“‰ 𝒢 π“‚π‘’π“‚π‘œπ“‡π“Ž
ㅀㅀㅀㅀㅀ𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 π’Ύπ“ˆ π’Ώπ“Šπ“ˆπ“‰ 𝒢 π“‚π‘’π“‚π‘œπ“‡π“Ž
ㅀㅀㅀㅀㅀㅀㅀㅀ𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 π’Ύπ“ˆ π’Ώπ“Šπ“ˆπ“‰ 𝒢 π“‚π‘’π“‚π‘œπ“‡π“Ž (ᐒ..ᐒ)
γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€γ…€ »[π’₯π“Šπ“ˆπ“‰ 𝒢 π“‚π‘’π“‚π‘œπ“‡π“Ž]«
Oct 25, 2023 4:54 AM
Oct 2021
Aside from the fact this is literal imperialist propaganda, it’s kinda interesting seeing an “anime” this old.

Still absolutely sucks though, especially by 2023 standards, lol.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.