Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 28, 2014 4:25 PM

Oct 2012
gophercg said:
What's a "Maker Producer"?

Right. You are talking about the character named 葛城 剛太郎 who appears at
07:03/24:43. On the screen, his job title is メーカープロデューサー which is
pronounced exactly like "maker producer".

There is a major challenge when trying to translate a Japanese job title to the
English equivalent. Even somebody working as a professional in the Japanese
industry might not know their equivalent job title in English. Likewise for a
professional in the North American cartoon industry. It's not simply the issue
of translating Japanese to English.

On the official website for the series, they provide an extensive list of the
technical terms that appear in the series. One of them is メーカーP which
is pronounced as "meekaa P". So that looks like it could be the abbreviation
for "maker producer". It seems that Japanese animators love to use single
letters as abbreviations. In any case, the definition given for a メーカーP is this:

パッケージ製作会社のプロデューサーをさす場合が多い。
ちなみに、作品を作ることを制作、商品・製品を作ることを
製作と分けて使用する場合が多い。

Perhaps one of our kind friends here who knows Japanese can explain exactly
what this means. In the meantime, however, I'll give my amateur explanation:

This is the person who is the producer who works for the "Package Production
Company". The "Package Production Company" is presumably the company
responsible for putting together the entire "package", whatever that is.

Here is the webpage that gives the list of technical terms (in Japanese only):
http://shirobako-anime.com/words.html

Apparently, each week, fans of the series are expected to refer to this list
prior to the episode airing and memorize the new technical terms that will be
used. Luckily, Episode 4 only has two new technical terms to learn.
okanaganOct 28, 2014 5:30 PM
Nov 1, 2014 1:08 PM

Jun 2011
"Arupin's crying face is cute, right?"
"Uhm yeah of course."
"But I don't think it's supposed to be this kind of cute."
Lolwat? The otakuism, escapism, enthusiasm, chuunibyo-ism are real.

I really do wonder though if the anime staffs really do this kind of discussion, because.. there are anime where I feel like.. nobody gives 2 shits about, and feel like it's written by maybe a 7 year old kid. I also wondered if they really do sit down together and watch the first airing of their anime, and care about what the audiences think.

With these writers that care so much about moe, well, anime be damned. Wonder what Hayao Miyazaki think of it.
ToG25thBaamNov 1, 2014 1:13 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 1, 2014 3:52 PM

Jan 2014
Go's to show what Japanese voice actors actually have to go through unlike shitty English dub voice actors where it almost seems like they just pull people off the street and tell them to voice act.
Nov 3, 2014 7:35 AM

Nov 2010
The director is quite a character by asking the voice actors how the show should end
Also the change or addition to Arupin he voiced turned into a meeting which was just fascinating
I do know the cause of those flaws in dubbing or animation on other shows now

Food supplied by the president showed his involvement and interaction with their staff
The ED was quite cute and simple with the polar bear and bratz doll
Nov 5, 2014 10:15 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Making anime isn't easy. The seiyuu's repeating the same lines until they get it right.

Arupin is 29 but looks like 14. o.o

Nov 6, 2014 12:56 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
This show is both simultaneously boring and interesting at the same time to me. I don't know how it's doing it, but it is.

Shoutouts to the attractive background character whose only line was, "Rolling."
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Nov 9, 2014 9:08 AM

Oct 2012
Wow, that was great, they really did something extraordinary right there! Even better than previous episode.
This is slowly turning into my favorite anime, I hope they keep their production values high on this one.
Nov 9, 2014 11:10 PM

May 2012
1337 dat face

1933 yayy

2144 LOL

7.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Nov 27, 2014 1:20 PM

Jan 2011
I really didn't expect this type of "plot", but it was pretty interesting. ^^
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Dec 7, 2014 4:44 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Really interesting episode. It gives me food for thought. If they're so passionate and detailed when creating a character...how can characters like Ichika from IS exist? Or the typical block headed male anime MC for that matter? Or does the deep though and passionate outlook only extend to female characters?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 7, 2014 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
Marzan said:
Really interesting episode. It gives me food for thought. If they're so passionate and detailed when creating a character...how can characters like Ichika from IS exist? Or the typical block headed male anime MC for that matter? Or does the deep though and passionate outlook only extend to female characters?

well on the first place IS is not an original work so little can be change on Ichika's characterization.
Feb 11, 2015 10:25 AM

Sep 2014
Director should take things easy. xD

Dat Doraemon reference.
Mar 23, 2015 6:56 AM

Nov 2014
SweetKotomi said:
Arupin is 29 but looks like 14. o.o

That might be a joke on how a lot of anime characters look younger than they are.
aikaflipMar 23, 2015 9:17 AM
Mar 25, 2015 9:11 PM

Oct 2012
Dorayaki!
Wow so deep, so deep!! xD

I love the fact they redo the whole animation just because the "expression"
Oh Japanimation xD
"Signature removed"
Mar 31, 2015 2:20 AM

Dec 2012
It may seem like a joke with how the director obsessed over Arupin's character, but it really goes to show how much thought goes into creating characters. Good actors can create entire lives for their characters starting from birth to the moment they enter that story. It's far more than copy/pasting an archetype and adding new lines.

I'm actually taking a directing course right now and I have to direct and produce a short play so I completely understand how tough it is for this director to put his vision into words.

That ending was mind blowing, my sides might not be able to take this series.
Apr 6, 2015 11:44 AM
May 2012
Nice opening and ending song~
Damn, that is one crazy meeting. I want to believe that their portrayal of Anime production is realistic ahahaha.
That director, I understand him. Sometimes, you just gotta follow your instinct.
I am really liking Miyamori now. Time for me to sleep. I feel sleepy already.

raeyvolution said:
That seiyuu joke, keep up the parodies PA Works!! XD

bastek66 said:

Yep, this is so awesome.
Apr 7, 2015 10:17 AM

Sep 2014
Cool , Those sweets, Those voice actors ^^ Love It !

Arupin in 29 ? O_o o_O

And I like their studio building.. :D
Apr 12, 2015 6:26 PM

Jul 2014
aoi is like the ideal woman. i fucking love her omg
Apr 12, 2015 7:56 PM

Jan 2009
lol a weird debate about an anime character, and good that the hot sexy animator last episode is in good condition
Apr 23, 2015 9:50 AM

May 2012
Quite solid development! Let's see what's next.
May 30, 2015 11:21 PM

Nov 2014
My faith in P.A. Works has returned.

Jun 6, 2015 8:53 AM

Oct 2009
I actually found this a bit hard to watch cos the director was pretty annoying :/
Jun 11, 2015 8:43 AM

Dec 2008
Omg. Best character gothlolichan spoke! <3 Director was incredibly annoying and the last bit of the episode was somewhat boring.
Jun 26, 2015 4:15 AM

May 2012
the director and that one dude with the mo-hawk thing are kinda annoying .-.

not sure how to feel about this how quite yet
Jul 10, 2015 6:44 PM

Aug 2009
well, this ep sure is a lot more interesting than the first

so they actually do go into details of what the character likes to eat and what they're like when drunk even if it's just a moe anime lol

aoi is a good mc i guess... want to see more of the other girls soon :)
Jul 10, 2015 8:05 PM

Mar 2007
What a coincidence to see this thread active just as I finished this episode from the bd release.

Back then when it was airing I didn't think this episode as special until now. To have such a nice deep discussion about moe. So incredible.
Jul 20, 2015 12:03 AM

Mar 2012
Aozure said:
I actually found this a bit hard to watch cos the director was pretty annoying :/

Yep.
Aug 26, 2015 11:27 AM

Jul 2014
what are you guys talking about?! I love the director! It was awesome seeing everyone get so excited and enthusiastic about anime.
also Aoi is so adorable
but that Tarou...so annoying...
maybe he'll get more likable later on?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2015 7:42 AM

Oct 2014
that last bit was just ???? lmao i dont even.
Sep 2, 2015 10:10 AM

Jun 2009
The director is a genius.

This episode was awesome.
Dec 4, 2015 12:49 AM

Feb 2010
I finally get a good a look of the world through a true otaku's eyes xD

Mar 20, 2016 2:58 AM

Mar 2014
Yeah I kinda don't care about how passionate the director is because changing scenes like that just days before airing while already facing problems with the animators and schedules is simply not done. That's no way to treat your staff.
Apr 1, 2016 12:20 PM

Mar 2015
I'm not sure how I feel about this anime. I think Bakuman have more interesting characters than in Shirobako.

I guess that's how the anime directors feels eh? That their creation came up to life when they want to.

Apr 1, 2016 5:51 PM

Nov 2015
Being able to see how anime is done is really fantastic!
I love it :3

That moment when "the characters were there" was so weird jajaja.
By the way, the boss... BEST.BOSS.EVER, he makes them food and everything! What a nice person.

The Director is such a perfectionist, but in the end we all thank the great work they directed..or call them names if they do wrong xD

I'm liking this anime so much.

I REALLY like the parts when they are actually making the anime, I mean, the process, the unfinished product, the skeleton.
I like how they parody the age logic in anime characters, how they behave or look like being a different age than they really are.
Or how the "moe" thing invading anime. It's like an auto-critic but it is also honest and really funny.
HumbertoZeroApr 1, 2016 6:00 PM
Apr 10, 2016 5:00 PM

Dec 2015
I like to think meetings like these happened all the time when making the show. Great episode, fun in a weird meta way

Holy shit. Holy shit.
Apr 14, 2016 4:52 PM

Jul 2012
I love how much energy Miyamori has with everything that she says :)

And this was really neat too. They even drew their outfits!
Jun 1, 2016 3:04 AM

Apr 2016
Those tears of joy made my day! Great show! :)
Jun 5, 2016 12:03 AM

Mar 2015
This show is a good education. I really liked the director criticism. Even I can tell that Arupin crying face is somewhat lacking. How tiresome it can be to re-make the art.

When creating anime, one should fully understand what characters origin is.

4.1/5

OP song: 4.6/5
Sep 10, 2016 5:53 PM

Sep 2013
Not a bad episode, but I hope some real plot develops soon. I'm not going to enjoy 24 episodes of board meeting discussions...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 26, 2016 2:57 PM

Feb 2012
Minky Momo parody?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 18, 2017 3:13 PM
Sep 2009
ToG25thBaam said:
"Arupin's crying face is cute, right?"
"Uhm yeah of course."
"But I don't think it's supposed to be this kind of cute."
Lolwat? The otakuism, escapism, enthusiasm, chuunibyo-ism are real.

I really do wonder though if the anime staffs really do this kind of discussion, because.. there are anime where I feel like.. nobody gives 2 shits about, and feel like it's written by maybe a 7 year old kid. I also wondered if they really do sit down together and watch the first airing of their anime, and care about what the audiences think.

With these writers that care so much about moe, well, anime be damned. Wonder what Hayao Miyazaki think of it.

As someone who works in western tv, animation, film type of job, I say yes. Animators and production are always excited to see final product and work in progress, especially if it's a shot they worked on. It is even more exciting to see it on TV or big screen and staff do tend to go through reviews to see what public thinks. However, it is person dependent.

Post Production crew usually tends to have a crew screening of final product which is usually several weeks before public release.

Occasional screening happens while work is in progress, just to see how it's coming along. But that can vary from company to company.

Meeting type of screening that we saw in this episode happen all the time between supervisors, animators, compers, directors and other highly involved people who look for mistakes, say what works what doesn't and etc. It's a very regular thing called dailies.

Directors changing their mind all the time is a norm too. Being put on a spot that you need to finish bunch of work in one day and stay late at work is a norm too.

I've only seen 2 episodes but so far I find this very relatable even though it is about anime industry.

Just seeing character comp in After Effect got me excited XD
Mar 12, 2017 11:44 AM

May 2010
I absolutely loved the designs of seiyuu, and how they're based on real people :3 I want to have my own anime version too~

Also, calling "moe" a dead word? It can't be true!

ED is pretty meh, both song and animation-wise.
Mar 31, 2017 10:03 AM

Jan 2015
Listening to this fat weeb spouting nonsense about his moe characters was embarassing. And he's so incompetent and non-assertive. How the heck did a guy like him end up in charge...
Starting to see a trend here too, like how all the women are serious and dependable, while all the men are self-centered and good-for-nothing... That and I don't think a lot of studios would have a seemingly equal number of male and female staff.

Anyway, as I thought during first ep, it'll be impossible to take things seriously in this show.
HapHazrDMar 31, 2017 10:19 AM
Jul 10, 2017 6:38 PM

Jul 2017
Great episode! I'm really liking this right now. I do think the massive cast is very overwhelming though.
Aug 5, 2017 6:19 PM

Sep 2015
Dam their waifus came to life cause they believed.
Aug 13, 2017 6:49 PM

Jun 2013
I can easily relate to the director's obsession over such a minute detail. I feel bad for everyone else, though.
Aug 28, 2017 2:33 PM

Nov 2016
Yet another great episode. Keep it going.
Oct 4, 2017 3:57 AM
Jun 2012
*facepalm* This trainwreck... This explains so much. Production team is having an intense discussion about... what the hell they were making all this time (and still having no plans for finale). Yup, yup, this explains SO much.
Jan 8, 2018 6:27 PM

Apr 2015
Wow, there's a lot of pure, unadulterated passion going into...a very bizarre moe anime. I'm not sure if it helps or hurts them that the director's so into it. "ARUPIN LIKES STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE!"

I'm a little surprised that radio show from the first episode was hyping up a moe show from this studio which had a previously infamous disaster with this "Jiggly Jiggly Heaven" anime. I sure hope Exodus turns out alright for them...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 25, 2018 7:53 AM

Feb 2015
lovin it. It's really immersing me into the anime production.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

286 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

115 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 11, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2014

250 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.