Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 4, 2009 11:10 AM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
RAW's out!
Finally, we'll get to know more about Ange in episode IV.

Kinda new OP, Maria's got a new suit! =D
All 3 portraits! Third Siesta. And that's all.

EDIT:
For those who want to watch the RAW:
http://himado.in/8096
Samu-tanNov 4, 2009 11:15 AM
Nov 4, 2009 11:15 AM

Jun 2008

Well, this ep wasn't very exciting but it was nice to see Eva in that dress :D

They changed the croissant scene ;__;

I'm disappointed that we didn't get to hear Kasumi talk. Amakusa's voice is awesome. Sakutaro's isn't as annoying as I expected it to be. Uryu~

I loved Kinzo's crazy face at the end
Nov 4, 2009 11:25 AM

Aug 2009
Yeah, Eva's dress sure is... different than her usual dress.

Nov 4, 2009 11:54 AM

Jul 2007
hirahira said:

They changed the croissant scene ;__;

Yeah!!! I loved that scene in the VN there wasn't fun D:
Also boo for not Sakutarou in the op~~ ):

Maria and Ange were love in this ep <3
Nov 4, 2009 12:31 PM

Apr 2008
*facepalms* why oh why did I have to get my hopes up that they would keep the croissant scene properly?

They rushed with revealing the truth of where Rosa was too >_> sheesh
Nov 4, 2009 1:06 PM

Oct 2009
Big mix in this episode. They go from one time period to another. I liked the Bernkastel/cat, it was nice. Seeing Maria was nice too. Also Ange in the past was nice but why show that? Also why was the teddy bear alive...did Maria use some magic on it? Anyone know what was exactly that book that Ange has in possession and when Maria appeared to her and then dissapeared looked like some magic book...it had some strange symbol on it. Who is that Okonoki guy Ange was talking to and was that Eva the woman with kimono/white hair? Find it hard to believe that Eva cried at the dead of George and Hideyoshi when it was all her fault (Eva-Beatrice but she is part of Eva anyways). Escape of Ange was nice too but who was that guy who rescued her in that white limo? So finally the blue color appears that Battler can use but will it help him and what can he really do with it? The school uniforms of Ange's school were nice too, I liked the design. Kinzo grabbing Krauss was surprising too. If anyone can answer some of my questions thank you very much in advance until the subs come out. Hope Ange can save everyone, I would think so far she is being very helpful.
Jumperboy333 said:
Yeah, Eva's dress sure is... different than her usual dress.

Yeah that dress makes her breasts stand out too much. I did not even think they were like that.
HakoTan said:
. Uryuu~ was so cute, and Amakusa sounded just... perfect. Can't wait till' next episode 8~D

Yeah the Uryuu sound was very cute! It was nice.
francismeunierNov 4, 2009 1:13 PM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Nov 4, 2009 1:16 PM
Aug 2009
francismeunier said:
Anyone know what was exactly that book that Ange has in possession and when Maria appeared to her and then dissapeared looked like some magic book
It's Maria's diary that Ange found on Rokkenjima.
and was that Eva the woman with kimono/white hair?

She was Kasumi, Kyrie's sister.
who was that guy who rescued her in that white limo?

He was Amakusa, Ange's bodyguard.
Nov 4, 2009 1:21 PM

Oct 2009
moldy_tomato said:
francismeunier said:
Anyone know what was exactly that book that Ange has in possession and when Maria appeared to her and then dissapeared looked like some magic book
moldy_tomato said:
It's Maria's diary that Ange found on Rokkenjima.

So Ange already went to Rokkenjima so then I suppose she could not find anything but bodies of people or do they explain what she found on the island other than the diary? Can you tell me what is written in that diary exactly?
and was that Eva the woman with kimono/white hair?

moldy_tomato said:
She was Kasumi, Kyrie's sister.

Ah ok, very interesting, never knew Kyrie had a sister.
who was that guy who rescued her in that white limo?

moldy_tomato said:
He was Amakusa, Ange's bodyguard.

Interesting once again. Thank you.

Nov 4, 2009 2:03 PM
Mar 2009
Like always, this episode was the calm before the storm. A bunch of Ange and Maria flashbacks galore, one more episode of that and then we can get to the good stuff. I'm glad we finally got to see the blue text introduced though and not only that, Goldsmith is just getting started kihihihi.
Nov 4, 2009 2:09 PM

Oct 2009
If I remember correctly, Maria's diary was not found on Rokkenjima. It was in her bedroom at her and Rosa's apartment, and after the family died, Ange must have visited it before it was emptied out and took it as a memento of her cousin.
Nov 4, 2009 2:17 PM
Apr 2009
Fuck yeah, goldsmith.
Nov 4, 2009 2:26 PM
Aug 2009
June_1983 said:
If I remember correctly, Maria's diary was not found on Rokkenjima. It was in her bedroom at her and Rosa's apartment, and after the family died, Ange must have visited it before it was emptied out and took it as a memento of her cousin.
Well, I remember differently. I may need to re-read it.
Nov 4, 2009 3:01 PM

Sep 2007
Still shit but at least I got motherfucking GOLDSMITH and MARIA
Nov 4, 2009 3:05 PM

Nov 2007
Yay for cuts that were actually needed! Those flashback/flashforward scenes were so draggy in the SN, I'm glad they're fast forwarding some of them, mostly Ange's parts.
Nov 4, 2009 3:32 PM

Jul 2008
Siesta 00 and Witch Maria in the OP!!

Also, Bern is a kitty <3

I am glad they kept in the Beelzebub/Battler fight scene.

And ugh, Ange's school uniform is hideous.

The blue truth appeared too!
Nov 4, 2009 5:20 PM

Oct 2009
moldy_tomato said:
June_1983 said:
Well, I remember differently. I may need to re-read it.

I might be wrong. It might be the same notebook she looked through on the island to show people about the magic symbols. In that case, then, you'd assume it was given to her by the cops after they went through all of the evidence. I don't think six year olds would be traipsing around a crime scene ...
Nov 4, 2009 6:21 PM

Jul 2009
the idea kinzo was dead before all began is interesting but i very much doubt it can be true, consider all things... even though almost every single thing kyrie said sofar turned out to be apparently true...
edit: beatrice ony refused to repeat the sentence is just an additional confirmation kinzo was not dead.

francismeunier said:
Find it hard to believe that Eva cried at the dead of George and Hideyoshi when it was all her fault (Eva-Beatrice but she is part of Eva anyways).
because it was not eva~ I suspected her for a while too, but her suspicion was cleared when natsuhi + krauss died. well, maybe just like the guy said in the ep: without love it can't be seen~
vinesageNov 4, 2009 6:29 PM
Nov 4, 2009 9:44 PM
Feb 2009
I'm liking that they changed Maria's outfit. Witch!Maria and Siesta 00 in the OP ♥ Though no sign of Gaap yet D:

Amakusa and Sakutaro sound PARFEKKTO and it's so nice to hear that guy Takano works with Okonogi again.

Btw, Okonogi has Vulcan ears:
Nov 4, 2009 9:45 PM

Oct 2009
vinesage said:
the idea kinzo was dead before all began is interesting but i very much doubt it can be true, consider all things... even though almost every single thing kyrie said sofar turned out to be apparently true...
edit: beatrice ony refused to repeat the sentence is just an additional confirmation kinzo was not dead.

francismeunier said:
Find it hard to believe that Eva cried at the dead of George and Hideyoshi when it was all her fault (Eva-Beatrice but she is part of Eva anyways).
because it was not eva~ I suspected her for a while too, but her suspicion was cleared when natsuhi + krauss died. well, maybe just like the guy said in the ep: without love it can't be seen~

So that Eva-Beatrice is another copy of Eva with nothing to do with Eva? I was sure if ever Eva died so would Eva-Beatrice. One more time what is this Blue Truth thing?
Elika said:
Amakusa and Sakutaro sound PARFEKKTO and it's so nice to hear that guy Takano works with Okonogi again.

Btw, Okonogi has Vulcan ears:

Who is Takano again? Is there something special about the Vulcan ears with that guy Okonogi?

Nov 4, 2009 10:03 PM

Jun 2007
The blue truth took me a while to figure out. It's not even explained well in the VN.

If something is said in blue then it's accepted as the truth unless red proves otherwise. If Battler says a theory in blue then Beatrice HAS to counter with red or Battler's theory is accepted as the truth, even if it's completely wrong. It basically makes Beatrice unable to refuse using the red.
Nov 4, 2009 11:47 PM

Oct 2009
MarthX said:
The blue truth took me a while to figure out. It's not even explained well in the VN.

If something is said in blue then it's accepted as the truth unless red proves otherwise. If Battler says a theory in blue then Beatrice HAS to counter with red or Battler's theory is accepted as the truth, even if it's completely wrong. It basically makes Beatrice unable to refuse using the red.
So it gets much more fair for Battler and more challenging for Beatrice. I can't wait to see how Beatrice is going to be smart about rejecting the blue of Battler. Thanks for information.

Nov 5, 2009 5:15 AM

Aug 2009
They changed the croissant scene but at least they kept Beelzebub and we still get to see an embarrassed Beato.

I love how Ange smirks and says, "Gretel"

I love the episode even though some things were rushed and some took a long time.
Nov 5, 2009 12:21 PM

Sep 2007
Beato's constant tsundere attitude is getting stupid.
Nov 5, 2009 12:27 PM

Oct 2009
Wasabi said:

I agree but is it not part of another deceivement of hers?

Nov 5, 2009 12:45 PM

Jan 2009
francismeunier said:
Is there something special about the Vulcan ears with that guy Okonogi?

Naw, just a design thing. He is not an alien or something XD.

I wonder if Rosa wasn't lying about being at work. inb4 Hokkaido.

Good episode, not much to say except it's getting better as an adaptation...
Nov 5, 2009 1:10 PM

Aug 2008
Elika said:
\Btw, Okonogi has Vulcan ears:

His ears remind me of my friend. My friend has similar-looking ears. Pretty cool, if you ask me. He's like a Dark Elf(since he's "black").

Well, this is a satisfying episode. Blue vs. Red, we see more Ange, and we're nearing the climax of the show. Few more episodes left.
Nov 5, 2009 1:54 PM

Aug 2008
Not a bad episode. I'm very grateful that Ange is here to put Battler on a path that isn't constantly floundering.

Besides that, this episode was a clear hackjob. The lack of transition from one scene to the next was very jarring, and DEEN should be a little embarrassed. Also, with this whole idea that Kinzo is dead, besides placing doubt there, I now doubt everything I've seen--more pointedly the "flashbacks." Since the point of view is all over the place, it's too hard to tell what is supposed to be true or not. I'm going to guess that a convention of the show is that anything away from the island is true, but it's safer to not trust any of it.

Finally, I'm not really getting how Ange works into all of this. We see her after Bernkastel invites her to join the game, and she's still not sure what happened. So this meta-world is persistent and runs parallel with time? I'm sure none of that will get explained and that's just me overthinking. Also, much of Ange's discussion with that guy in the red suit reminded me of the beginning of the answer arcs in Higurashi...the part that begins to explain

PS. If Kinzo supposedly died, wouldn't that be one thing Ange should know for a fact? Preserving a body for a year in so that it would look like he had died with everyone else is damn near impossible.
Nov 5, 2009 2:04 PM
Apr 2009
This has been bothering me for some time.
Is the okonogi in higurashi the same one that's in umineko?

Also, hoping DEEN makes the ending at least 10 minutes long with dreamenddischarger playing at an audible volume.
Nov 5, 2009 2:19 PM

Jul 2009
well, i think if kinzo's corpse is burned into a pile of black coal, i dont know if much can still be found even in a detailed autopsy.
but i am pretty positive what battler said is not true, because theres only 2 possibility:
1. it is true: since it is a statement that can have quite a significant impact on the truth finding path, if it is really true beatrice would not act the way she does. it is much plausible for her to think of some twisted "red truth" to deny it, or simply point out to something else for sidetracking sake.

2. it is not true: by not denying it, beatrice left it fairly open in the air: for somebody who still doesnt believe witch up to this point, he will surly take the bait and think into that path, like battler does; this serves the basic idea of sidetracking like it does in every other murder mystery.
Nov 5, 2009 2:21 PM
Mar 2009
Wasabi said:

Beato is a really complicated character to understand, as the story goes on, you'll find out why she acts the way she does.
Nov 5, 2009 2:39 PM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:

PS. If Kinzo supposedly died, wouldn't that be one thing Ange should know for a fact? Preserving a body for a year in so that it would look like he had died with everyone else is damn near impossible.

It's seems to be a common fact that the police always find very little of the bodies of those missing/killed in Rokkenjima. For example, in EP1, if I recall correctly, the only piece of a body that was identified was Maria's jaw. Why is that is a mystery, but there are some explanations in this EP4 I think... of course, all subject to interpretation.

As for the Kinzo thing, the obnoxious smell is the first thing that comes to mind...
Nov 5, 2009 2:55 PM
Dec 2008
i honestly cannot see the kinzo being alive thing to be true.
well, next episode should clear that up.
the blue truth is interesting, and it seems battler can easily finish the game
by making countless theories about the murder, and sooner of later, he would get the correct one, but it wouldnt be interesting to watch that lol

hmmm it seems that "gretel" was a nickname for ange, since battler somehow seemed to recognize it and accept ange into his side

btw, where is virgillia now?
Nov 5, 2009 3:01 PM
Aug 2009
noteDhero said:
Preserving a body for a year in so that it would look like he had died with everyone else is damn near impossible.

Why are you talking about preserving the body?
The first thing I that came to my mind about Kinzo's burned body was that it was burned to hide the time of death, and Kinzo has already shown burned in EP1 and EP3.

The fact that no one noticed the smell of Kinzo's body in EP2 leads me to think that the culprit was in a situation that he/she couldn't do anything to the body.

Rosa also said something about her being able to confirm that Shannon and Genji were with Kinzo.
I think Rosa might have catched them in the act.
moldy_tomatoNov 5, 2009 3:05 PM
Nov 5, 2009 3:02 PM

Aug 2008
As I understand it, Virgilia was there only as a part of Beatrice's scheme.

About the body being preserved, since they've made a big deal about burning his body, my mind automatically thought the opposite. At this point I'm just thinking that almost everything shown is a blatant lie or misdirection.
Nov 5, 2009 3:11 PM
Dec 2008
oh. so beatrice was lying when she said it was Teacher's plan.

and it seems kyrie wants some of that headship and gold
Nov 5, 2009 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
I think Virgilia made the suggestion, and Beatrice followed through with it. But you know, Virgilia only came into play because she chose to show Kumosawa being killed. I think it was a ruse from the very beginning, but who knows?
Nov 5, 2009 3:18 PM

Aug 2008
Denwa said:
This has been bothering me for some time.
Is the okonogi in higurashi the same one that's in umineko?

aah, so thats why his name and face looked so fimiliar. the guy that was part of the banken or something like that. well, higurashi started in 1983 while umineko happens in 1986 so either yes he is the same guy, or he's just a crossover from the higurashi universe into the umineko; like what clamp does with its characters in its various stories
Nov 5, 2009 3:23 PM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:
At this point I'm just thinking that almost everything shown is a blatant lie or misdirection.
you can trust (almost) everything the battler in each game saw directly with his own eyes to be true, other than that, quite a few things need to be doubted but definitely not the most parts either. and yeah, one needs to understand what to trust before start making theories....
Nov 5, 2009 3:31 PM

Aug 2008
That's the thing. Battler doesn't see much of anything directly. He only sees whose in a room when people aren't dying, and in the last arc, he wasn't shown much at all.
Nov 5, 2009 3:37 PM
Mar 2009
It's okay to stick to the logic to only trust what Battler sees and the red truth itself, it should all work itself out in the end. But instead of doubting everything, try to put the things you doubt into consideration also, nothing can be too far-fetched in this series.
Nov 5, 2009 3:42 PM

Aug 2008
I consider everything. I just don't trust any of it. That's the problem when eveything's close and nothing is far-fetched.
Nov 5, 2009 3:54 PM

Sep 2008
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuu~
Blushing Beatrice is as cute as ever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 5, 2009 4:02 PM
Dec 2008
yea...i wonder why beatrice blushed??
maybe she does have some feelings for battler but had to make the choice of appearing to be bad to him, so that lambda wolud keep her as a witch.
i can see where this story is going
Nov 5, 2009 4:07 PM

Jul 2008
Yukari_Hiwada said:

Elika said:
Bern did smile a bit in the anime :p

Is it just me or do their facial expressions look really similar?
Nov 5, 2009 4:22 PM

Oct 2009
GarLogan78 said:
Yukari_Hiwada said:

Elika said:
Bern did smile a bit in the anime :p

Is it just me or do their facial expressions look really similar?

To that I would like to ask if Bernkastel can possess Ange? If so could it be a 100% win against Beatrice?

Nov 5, 2009 4:37 PM

Aug 2009

MY BISCUTS! ALL MINE! MINE!

-Okay so if I'm understanding the "Blue Truth" correctly, what happens is that this gives Battler the opportunity to state any theory as long as it disproves witches and then Beato absolutely must counter it with the red correct? So is Beato just that arrogant or being mega-stupid right now? Doesn't this give Battler a completely new playing field so that he can just deny the heck out of Beato whenever he wants?

-So many new characters. That lion is eeeevvilllllll...

-Am I right in assuming there is some BattlerXAnge wincest?

-How the hell is Eva 53 years old and still look that good in that dress?
Nov 5, 2009 4:41 PM
Mar 2009
garfield15 said:
Okay so if I'm understanding the "Blue Truth" correctly, what happens is that this gives Battler the opportunity to state any theory as long as it disproves witches and then Beato absolutely must counter it with the red correct? So is Beato just that arrogant or being mega-stupid right now? Doesn't this give Battler a completely new playing field so that he can just deny the heck out of Beato whenever he wants?

This is more about making this game fair for Battler now, so now Beato just can't refuse to repeat something in red whenever she feels like it, therefore leaving the truth up in the air with no grounds for Battler to go on. It's an even playing field now.
Nov 5, 2009 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
Maria is SO cute! The "new" OP is cool, when I saw Maria's new dress I almost died. <3
Nov 5, 2009 5:13 PM

Aug 2007
The blue truth thing is really neat. From the viewer's perspective, it's much less annoying than Beato saying "I refuse" all the time. Also, I wish her tsundereness would go away, as well, but everyone's saying ~just wait and seeeee~ so I guess it'll be explained or whatever.

The Kinzo being dead already idea was so obvious that I can't believe I didn't even consider it. But when Krauss and Natsuhi went to go talk to him, he was still alive, right? Ugh, I'm so confused. I'm not even going to try and think about it.
Nov 5, 2009 5:23 PM
Mar 2009
bwahahachick said:
But when Krauss and Natsuhi went to go talk to him, he was still alive, right? Ugh, I'm so confused. I'm not even going to try and think about it.

Battler never sees him, so it doesn't matter who or however many people sees him.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.