Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 9, 2014 10:42 PM

Sep 2014
The 2009's season and the movie are tagged 'Romance' here on this site, why is that? I have just watched it all recently and I didn't really see a little bit of romance in there, honestly. The only moment I could call romantic would be the one in which Kyon kisses Haruhi and it's like 1 scene in whole series, and it's in the first season. What else is there, for real? I mean, you can't be serious about him wanting to see Mikuru in different outfits or stuff, and his feelings to Haruhi aren't really shown either.
ImaishiOct 9, 2014 10:54 PM
Oct 6, 2021 4:30 AM

Feb 2014
Rewatch with your eyes open this time.

Ther's a lot of romance going on.
Feb 19, 2023 12:17 AM

Mar 2022
Actually I came to this post because Haruhi ISN'T romance apparently?

> Genres: Award WinningComedyMysterySci-FiSlice of Life

I'm new. Who gets to decide? Is it a vote like in Wikipedia eg this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fischer_random_chess#RFC_on_Views_of_grandmasters_section (Note: I'm thewriter006) ? So I guess in 2014 October Haruhi WAS classified as romance on MAL and then sometime in the past 7.5 years it changed?

Or perhaps it's 1 of those 'Being told the Genre of a movie may be a Spoiler' things?

eg lycoris recoil, madoka magica, kaguya-sama, the quintessential quintuplets, maou-sama, the queen's gambit, harley quinn, avatar the legend of korra? https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/jxp6en/comment/in4m6c1

eg umineko? in the fandom page they have spoiler tags on some of the genre's

https://07th-expansion.fandom.com/wiki/Umineko_When_They_Cry_(series)

https://07th-expansion.fandom.com/wiki/Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni_Chiru

Or idk maybe there is romance - as typical of many high school anime as pointed out by yuta aoki Why So Many High School Anime in Japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB9gIv_TsPg - but not enough to for a genre?
nicbentulanFeb 19, 2023 2:44 AM

1. Eva to Battler Ushiromiya: "human who are crying every single" ( Battler = "w"esley "s"o & Beatrice = Alireza Firouzja ? - Ha6uVGB-Mtw or p1w4Rr-fC )
  2. "b"attler "u"shiromiya: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is proctoring." - p1w4Rr-dU
  3. Update after Hans Niemann 2022: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is a proctologist." - p1w4Rr-dW
  4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  5. Magnus Carlsen is more of a sore loser than Light Yagami & Bandit Keith. See p1w4Rr-jr
  6. Hikaru Nakamura is almost as evil as the Hikaru in Oshi no Ko. See p1w4Rr-jr
  7. xcdhgq
Feb 19, 2023 12:48 AM

Jan 2013
Romance doesn't really deserve a "genre" tag here, but if you accounted for every tag it would be there, but MAL only counts the "top" tags. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 19, 2023 2:45 AM

Mar 2022
LostSpectre said:
Romance doesn't really deserve a "genre" tag here, but if you accounted for every tag it would be there, but MAL only counts the "top" tags. 
Ah thanks so there's like a vote or something in MAL for the genre tags and then romance just isn't voted up enough and apparently in the last 7.5 it was voted down a lot? Also where is the voting then please?
nicbentulanFeb 19, 2023 2:54 AM

1. Eva to Battler Ushiromiya: "human who are crying every single" ( Battler = "w"esley "s"o & Beatrice = Alireza Firouzja ? - Ha6uVGB-Mtw or p1w4Rr-fC )
  2. "b"attler "u"shiromiya: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is proctoring." - p1w4Rr-dU
  3. Update after Hans Niemann 2022: "You got yourself a deal man. Anytime, anywhere as long as there is a proctologist." - p1w4Rr-dW
  4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  5. Magnus Carlsen is more of a sore loser than Light Yagami & Bandit Keith. See p1w4Rr-jr
  7. xcdhgq
Feb 19, 2023 8:30 PM

Jan 2013
nicbentulan said:
LostSpectre said:
Ah thanks so there's like a vote or something in MAL for the genre tags and then romance just isn't voted up enough and apparently in the last 7.5 it was voted down a lot? Also where is the voting then please?
Oh, no it's a dictatorship where only MAL chooses what the tags are, they're just ignoring "lesser" tags that could still apply to the series. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 19, 2023 8:34 PM

Mar 2022
LostSpectre said:
nicbentulan said:
Oh, no it's a dictatorship where only MAL chooses what the tags are, they're just ignoring "lesser" tags that could still apply to the series. 

ok thanks well it could be dictatorship based on votes anyway. like we vote but ultimately MAL decides. either way when you said 'top' I thought you meant there's a vote.

on Wikipedia I'm pretty sure there isn't really a vote unless there's an issue of conflicting sources (are there often credible & unbiased sources that claim a work is NOT of a certain genre though?) so if it's just about sources then I can imagine MAL does the same as Wikipedia. that's actually i thought was the case.

so what is it that you meant by 'top' then? is it also about sources?

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Feb 19, 2023 9:00 PM

Jan 2013
nicbentulan said:
LostSpectre said:

ok thanks well it could be dictatorship based on votes anyway. like we vote but ultimately MAL decides. either way when you said 'top' I thought you meant there's a vote.

on Wikipedia I'm pretty sure there isn't really a vote unless there's an issue of conflicting sources (are there often credible & unbiased sources that claim a work is NOT of a certain genre though?) so if it's just about sources then I can imagine MAL does the same as Wikipedia. that's actually i thought was the case.

Sorry, I meant "top" as in the most important/relevant tags, ANIDB uses a 3 star "weighted" system for many tags, which is much more effective. 
Feb 20, 2023 5:06 AM

Mar 2022
LostSpectre said:
nicbentulan said:

Sorry, I meant "top" as in the most important/relevant tags, ANIDB uses a 3 star "weighted" system for many tags, which is much more effective. 

ah ok thanks. so how come Haruhi was previously tagged romance and now it isn't...? so MAL decided 1 day 'eh maybe it's not really romance' ?

P.S. http://www.boredpanda.com/stop-saying-sorry-say-thank-you-comic-yao-xiao/

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq
Feb 20, 2023 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
nicbentulan said:
LostSpectre said:

ah ok thanks. so how come Haruhi was previously tagged romance and now it isn't...? so MAL decided 1 day 'eh maybe it's not really romance' ?

P.S. http://www.boredpanda.com/stop-saying-sorry-say-thank-you-comic-yao-xiao/
Something like that, in terms of how they categorize genre/themes, there was a pretty big overhaul within the last couple of years.
Feb 21, 2023 9:37 AM

Mar 2022
ah ok thank you for explaining.

4. zs4zpf or p1w4Rr-dd
  7. xcdhgq

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.