Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 9, 2014 9:10 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First episode is out now. It's called "Monotone/Colorful". And so far, I definitely like what I see with the solid animation qualities.

The way the episode is presented shows music and talent at first sight. I think there some potential flags raised for romance soon too but it's vague for now. OP song is decent though. Also, I like that Ryota guy that was introduced.

>I'm a violist
Nice. I think that made the point with the premise. Anyways, good start so far. I really liked the mood of the show already. The ED theme song is cute too.
Oct 9, 2014 11:53 AM

Jun 2013
Just amazing. The character designs are modern and unique, the cherry blossom scenes are beautiful to look at, the children's band scene was perfectly done, and the overall music (both op and ed) was great.

This is an anime I look forward to not because of its rather cliche story, but because of its music. If they manage to convey the same sort of "soul" and power that can be felt from the manga into the anime, then you bet yourself that you're looking at a candidate for anime of the season.
Oct 9, 2014 12:14 PM

Sep 2010
As a pianist and classical music fan, I loved this episode! Kinda reminds me Nodame Cantabile.

(♡ω♡)
Oct 9, 2014 12:24 PM

Nov 2013
That was really nice. Great OP/ED and excellent OST. A-1 is definitely surprising me with this one.
“Change is inevitable — except from a vending machine.”
Oct 9, 2014 12:41 PM

Oct 2010
VanishingKira said:
Tied with Parasyte as my favorite 1st episode of this season.

Wonder if this'll become anywhere near as good as Nodame Cantabile?

Always had a passion for music so definitely going to enjoy this.
Agreed on all fronts :)
Oct 9, 2014 12:43 PM
Apr 2014
I liked it a lot, was amazing, the music, the character design, op, ending... awesome.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Oct 9, 2014 12:44 PM

Feb 2014
I'm liking this already.
The start of the episode just like in the PV.
The OSTs used and the OP and ED are amazing.
The art is incredibly beautiful.

With the main characters, I like how two of them are good at sports and the other two are good at music.

And that miraculous encounter, haha. What timing. Poor Kousei.
Also hoping for more of a background of Kousei quitting piano.

Can't wait to see Kaori play her violin.
Looking forward for next week!
ScarletCrystalOct 9, 2014 12:48 PM

"Later on, you will become a lively person causing headaches as the shrine-god."
Oct 9, 2014 12:48 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
That "Moonlight Sonata, Mvt. 3 -Presto Agitato-" in the beginning was brilliant! Little Kousei was indeed a piano prodigy.

At first, I really thought Kosei was knocked unconscious by that baseball, seeing how much blood was on the floor! :O
Also, it seems like Tsubaki has some (hidden) feelings for him. Or, does she actually have an eye for Watari?

Felt a little bad for Kousei as he lost his mother at an early age. But man, she must've been an austere parent to beat him up just so he'd be able to take her place instead. >.<

Kaori's little melodica performance with those 3 kids was nice. I wonder what those tears actually meant. Blowing on it too hard probably wasn't the reason.

Kousei's photo snapping scene was hilarious! So, was it a no-pan photo? I hope it is! :9
Kaori's fake attitude was pretty funny too! Dat menacing mood though.. She probably has a musical stand too. XD

I like how Kaori took Kousei's hand and asked him to come, despite the fact that he just took an embarrassing photo of her. Japanese girls Saikou! :3

Great start! Loved the lively OP song and a rather smooth ED. Has high potential to be in top 5 of this season.

Oct 9, 2014 1:01 PM

Dec 2011
The animation is amazing. The atmosphere of the show is so youthful and warm, I felt warm inside!
That was a certainly a very nice episode. Not the fan of the comedic bits in the anime, but overall it was great.
Oct 9, 2014 1:03 PM

Jun 2013
Loving the feel to this anime so far.
Oct 9, 2014 1:04 PM

Aug 2010
I can see the love triangle coming! Poor Tsubaki, she obviously loves Kousei but he and Kaori are gonna be ending up together 99% :(

Loving all the characters so far. It seems like this is gonna be a good fun ride. Hope it can compete even a bit with Nodame Cantabile's GREATNESS.

Can't wait for more :3 And hopefully we'll get some nice music to add ^^

Jan 2013
It gives the Sakurasou vibes.
Anyways, it showed little for a first episode, the animation was a little strange when the characters talked sometimes, still, it looks good.
Feb 2013
The episode was really slow and i don't want to wait a whole week for the next episode. Otherwise it was great.
Oct 9, 2014 1:05 PM

Mar 2013
1st episode impress me a lot.
Oct 9, 2014 1:10 PM

Jul 2014
So far this is living up to my hype for it. Great first episode!

Really like the OP, and the ED is pretty good as well.

Characters seem quite interesting, though I didn't expect Kousei's mother to be abusive like that. Certainly caught me by surprise.

Can't wait for the next episode!
Oct 9, 2014 1:23 PM
Apr 2014
thinking of watching this, but before i do, would like to know if after the 1st episode did you got an impression that there will be some love trangles/polygons (stuff i hate) ?
Oct 9, 2014 1:29 PM

Apr 2014
Glasses guy is bleeding all over his face while they have a warm conversation....I'm sorry but what? lol
Oct 9, 2014 1:30 PM

Apr 2014
Heck. Why the title was "Monotone/Colorful" The 4th Chapter of the manga was Colorful right? Anyway at least almost nothing was ripoff from the manga it's just very few of them.

Oh the OP and ED was good. And the VA's/Cast voices was very cute and suited to the roles. And the anime visuals and character designs was good. And most of all I can hear the piano now and other instrument and now I'm waiting on the violin from the next episode!.

I'd expect this work will continue on being faithful to the manga. I can't say anything more since I already knew what would happen because I'm reading the manga too.
RayzerOct 9, 2014 1:55 PM
Haters always gonna hate.
Oct 9, 2014 1:30 PM

Nov 2012
Wow, already three good shows this season I'm looking forward to.

Oct 9, 2014 1:32 PM

Aug 2013
Omg, so good.
5/5
Beautiful animation
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 9, 2014 1:33 PM

Feb 2011
Uhm. What's with this large variety of good anime this season ?
Not like Japan at all.
Oct 9, 2014 1:34 PM

Jan 2014
WOW, the colors are so bright and colorful :O. Loving this show all ready !
8/10
Oct 9, 2014 1:36 PM

Jul 2013
First of what beautiful animation. I knew it was going to be great but I didn't think it would be as consistent and as smooth as it was.

As for the story and setup, I'm so far pretty happy with the fact that I didn't immediately start siding with one of the heroines as I usually end up siding with the losing one and really ruining the last couple of episodes for myself as I scream out that life isn't fair.

So far, I like both heroines, this isn't like Nisekoi or Golden Time where I immediately disliked one or loved the other right from the get go.

It's our main character that I'm a bit worried about, he seems kind of idk dull, but it's wayy to early to make any heavy judgement both on our lead and heroines.

Overall pretty happy with the first episode, I knew this was gonna be one of the big players this season and I can see why.
The best anime is the Road to El Dorado
Oct 9, 2014 1:38 PM

Jul 2010
That was really...amazing.Probably my favorite first episode of this season.Everything was just so gorgeous.
Oct 9, 2014 1:39 PM

Apr 2014
Off Topic:
@Legal_Latino

Haters always gonna hate.
Oct 9, 2014 1:43 PM

Jun 2013
I quite liked the art. Granted some scenes were a bit out there and the plot is a tad cliche but I enjoyed it anyway. I've been waiting for another Nodame but I hope it doesn't turn into Sakamichi no Apollon or Kokoro Connect...
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
I might be crazy. So, what's the problem?

Oct 9, 2014 1:45 PM

Oct 2012
Omg, great series, I read the translated manga but this will adapt the whole thing, I can't wait :)!!!
I liked the art but the kids faces were a bit simple.
And the Kousei and Hikari (NnA) have the same seiyuu.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Oct 9, 2014 1:47 PM

May 2013
The art looks great. I am already liking this anime.
Oct 9, 2014 1:48 PM

Jan 2014
Such a colorful and vivid art style. Loved it. OP and ED were also beautifully made.

Didn't expect Kaori to suddenly turn into such an abusive bitch towards Kousei, lol.

And another nice first episode this season.
JoekstarOct 9, 2014 1:51 PM
Oct 9, 2014 1:48 PM

May 2014
That was impressive, definitely the best first episode of the shows I've seen this season so far.

It also has beautiful animation and music. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this.
Oct 9, 2014 1:49 PM

Aug 2012
Visuals , characters , OP/ED , story ..

Everything was great .

Best first episode this season .

I can sense AOTS here .
Oct 9, 2014 1:58 PM

May 2009
Oh my God, this is very promising!
The girl with the blonde hair, Kaori, is already the most beautiful anime girl character I've ever seen.. So natural and pure! She might be just the greatest character of all time.. lol. ;v;

The story itself is very promising as well. I like the fact that (classic) music is a great thing here. I prefer these genres over girly group dance and sing animes. n_n
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Oct 9, 2014 2:01 PM
Nov 2013
Beautiful. Getting some strong Nagi no Asu/Anohana vibes from this, I hope it delivers. The music is excellent and I'm glad it's a 2 cour show. Definitely one of the best first episodes of the season so far.
Oct 9, 2014 2:12 PM

Apr 2013
great first episode

music, animation, backgrounds, character design takes a bit getting used to but not bad.

was excited for it and so far it did not disappoint
Oct 9, 2014 2:14 PM

Nov 2007
(With the time delay and internet cut time, I had to watch the rest of the ep. in raw few hours later)

That Nodame doll in the beginning, such a nice collaboration with Nodame Cantabile! LOVING the OP!! And ED is nice.

That little boy playing the piano with professional level, but lifeless because his mother with wheelchair was tough but passed away. 3 years after he cannot play piano like that anymore and they are in junior high school. Introducing 3 childhood friends. Though he still plays piano for his part time job (he can work in age 14?)

Introducing a girl who does classics. Harmonica song is like Batz playing in Laputa. She involved the kids in a mini concert, too. She will play violin at where he stop the music.

25:35 next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

Feb 2013
entertaining but something is missing.. I also dislike the idea that glasses kun and blondie will end up together...
Jesus can walk on water. Cucumbers are 96% water. I can walk on cucumbers. I'm 96% Jesus.

Jul 2014
Another Chitoge?

anyway the episode was good, the animation feels so lively and beautiful.

So far so good, hope they don't complicate the love relationships and do the romance well.
Oct 9, 2014 2:18 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This was really good

I'm am definitely watching this series
Oct 9, 2014 2:20 PM

May 2012
i really love the manga so after watching this, all I can say is it's really beautiful how they animated it.
Oct 9, 2014 2:25 PM
Apr 2014
Okashi_sama said:
Another Chitoge?

Uhhh... NO.

Kaori is a little violent just at first, that's it. Chitoge is a bitch tsundere from beginning to end.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Oct 9, 2014 2:30 PM

Nov 2013
Wow. That was some beautiful art & animation. I really like Kousei's character, but don't really like the blonde girl as a first impression, it'll most likely change as the series continues (hopefully).

Can someone who's read the manga tell me if there is a huge focus on the potential love triangle/polygon ?
To hunger, but not gluttonous. To arouse, but not lustful. To tire, but not slothful.
Oct 9, 2014 2:38 PM

Sep 2014
I'm in. I love the animation. It reminds me of Chihayafuru and Nodame Cantabile.

Oct 9, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2014
Reyxe said:
Okashi_sama said:
Another Chitoge?

Uhhh... NO.

Kaori is a little violent just at first, that's it. Chitoge is a bitch tsundere from beginning to end.

Good to hear that, i don't want another tsundere bitch
Oct 9, 2014 2:46 PM

Sep 2010
Is that Hikari I hear ;-)?

Not sure how I feel about this yet. Not a big fan of the art style (the lips man), and their meeting was pretty cliché. This is one of those animes that unless someone dies, it's easy to predict the ending.

Will still watch cause the story seems interesting. This could either be very good or very typical, I'm hoping for very good.
Oct 9, 2014 2:52 PM

Aug 2014
Reyxe said:
Okashi_sama said:
Another Chitoge?

Uhhh... NO.

Can´t say to the end....the manga never. fucking. finish.....Ahhh
Oct 9, 2014 2:53 PM

Nov 2013
The series I was looking forward to the most aside from Mushishi, and it paid off!
Okashi_sama said:
Another Chitoge?

Didn't seem so in the slightest.

I think what impressed me the most was the character designs. I always look forward to seeing what uniforms and such they come up with for school series and I was pleasantly surprised... they were actually pretty modern and realistic. Main character was wearing common trainers I think. Really refreshing.

The characters themselves seem like they all have some depth, I'd imagine the soccer captain has more to him than just being a ladies man and probably likes the tom boy somewhat, probably dates lots of girls in a very school-retarded way of making her jealous. Idk, I feel like they're steering us into thinking she likes Kousei, but she's gonna pull a 180 degree romantic feeling out of her ass for someone else, maybe the soccer captain? Lots of romantic suggestions in the first episode which could go any which way. Kaori and Kousei could just end up being friends through music. I love music-based series and I hope it doesn't get bogged down by shitty romantic sub-plot.

The OP is absolutely fantastic, I told myself yesterday It'd be difficult to top the Kiseijuu OP but I think this may have matched or topped it. Loved the bouncy OST too. Gosh I adored this episode, as long as this doesn't nosedive with really shitty teen drama then I'm sold.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 9, 2014 2:59 PM

Mar 2013
Lancehot said:
Didn't much care for it. MC is a boring introvert wallowing in his own self pity. Main female is a manic pixie dream girl who is going to bring the colour back into his life because hey that's wish fulfillment. Oh & there's a childhood female friend & carefree popular male friend as well because it's shonen & we only deal in cliches here.

The art makes the characters all look like lizard people.

The panty shot was stupid, gratuitous & meant the ending didn't work for me (she was beating him up as a pervert five minutes ago but is now reaching out to drag him along to her violin recital despite being on a date with the other guy? Why?)

How they plan to get 22 episodes out of this I don't know.

I agree on all fronts, especially with the main female being a manic pixie dream girl. This trope is being severely overused these days.

At the same time, the direction and humor is stellar and knows how to capture your attention. Despite everything that's evidently wrong with this anime, I still find myself looking forward to the next episode. It's definitely flawed but there's still entertainment to be had.

Love your username, btw.
Oct 9, 2014 3:03 PM
Jul 2013
I like it! xD
Oct 2010
This looks good so far, though the plot might be cliche/predictable... let's see how it plays.

Well, as long as there is good music I'm in.

That melodica version of "A Morning of the Slag Ravine" had a nice sound... of course it had to be a trumpet to attract the pidgeons XD. Then again, it wasn't necessary.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller

Aug 2014
The manga is only 17 chapters also. So how they will make it 22 episodes will be interesting.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1177 by ojarlos »»
May 11, 12:06 PM

Poll: » What do you think of the character artstyle?

Mallony - Oct 10, 2014

40 by Keytee1 »»
May 5, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

335 by RickHatake »»
May 1, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

234 by exho26 »»
May 1, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.