Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2014 5:16 AM

Nov 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
How on earth does this have no discussion thread?

THE ENDING. THE UPDATED VISUALS. THE ATMOSPHERE. Holy shit what a great first episode of this installment. So melancholy and thoughtful. The world feels a little more alive now, animation looks even better than the original. OST is absolutely astounding once again, the OP is so damn catchy.

Joe as a character looks sharp now, there's more to his design and he's looking really polished. Boy I'm looking forward to this. Please protect Joe/Danpei's smiles ;____;
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 10, 2014 10:20 AM

Jan 2013
Excatly my fucking thoughts, whoa.
Aug 11, 2015 8:07 AM
Nov 2014
Holy shit, the newly updated animation, the music, the atmosphere...wow everything is better. I'm looking forward to this season, I have a feeling it's going to be even better than the first one.

I love the OP :D
Feb 19, 2016 1:26 AM

Dec 2009
The new animation really surprised me. It's so colorful, so shaded, so 80s. The music and sound is great too.

I kind of like the old cast better thoug, specifically Nishi's voice.
Mar 4, 2016 12:24 PM

Jul 2010
Wasn't some things in this episode a recap? felt like I already saw it from Season 1.

But forget about that holy shit the animation...so good and in 1080p which the previous season didn't have :o
Oct 10, 2016 2:44 PM

Feb 2013
They aren't going to continue from where they left it in season 1, that was a surprise.
Basically the same with the change that Joe didn't go to jail after the fight with Gondo.
I don't like the change of the kids.
Jul 13, 2017 7:35 PM

Nov 2016
Hmm didn't expect they would continue from after the Rikiishi match.

And holy shit, I know 10 years passed between the airing premiere of both seasons, but the visuals are looking awesome. Not that I had anything against the ones from the first one, still this alone will make this season a bit more enjoyable I guess^^

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 31, 2017 1:05 PM

Jul 2015
That quality improvement, I liked the gritty art style of Joe 1, but this one looks so nice as well, and what is clear is that the animation is 10x better, seeing Rikiishi KO'ing Joe with this quality was awesome.

I really liked the guy who stomped Wolf, so cool.

Joe went back to see Nishi and Danpei! Hype.
Sep 25, 2017 7:02 AM

May 2016
This season will be much better but I wonder how long this recap will continue.
Jan 19, 2018 10:16 AM

Aug 2015
Loving the updated visuals and art, Akio Sugino's designs look so fucking good in higher resolution. Also, thank god for the upgraded sound quality, now Sachi's voice won't make my ears bleed every time she talks.
Feb 4, 2018 4:48 PM

Nov 2012
A phenomenal upgrade. i was waiting for this since i started watching the first season.
Osamu Dezaki's touch as a director is slightly presented here, unlike the majority of the first season, which in turn will make me enjoy and appreciate the show even more.
Apr 21, 2018 3:50 PM

Aug 2013
Okay some of these new voices are REALLY throwing me off, especially Nishi (that threw me aback), and from what I've heard the BGM isn't up to snuff. BUT! Dear God are these visuals amazing. Movie quality aesthetics, with prime Shingo Araki character designs, a visual treat to say the least.
May 26, 2018 1:38 AM

Oct 2016
In ten years, the animation of the series has changed for very well!
Is awesome, the opening, the soundtrack, the ending, imo it is comparable with those of the first series.
The art in sight is now much more comfortable, I like it a lot as how it fits into the series. Look at Sachi and the boys!!
The instruments of the opening when Danpei sees Joe is very good, I repeat, I love how it fits in the series.
Aug 22, 2018 3:53 PM
Aug 2016
yeah, it's an upgrade from season 1 but why did they move so much into the past? I've watched this in season 1 several days ago...
Aug 22, 2018 3:55 PM

Jan 2013
psiaken said:
yeah, it's an upgrade from season 1 but why did they move so much into the past? I've watched this in season 1 several days ago...
Because the season 1 is mostly filler after Rikiishi vs Joe.
Jun 1, 2019 8:49 PM
May 2018
Loved everything about this first episode except for the kids new designs. Wtf? Also the fact that they changed Nishi's voice breaks my heart. It was the perfect voice for a big lovable oaf like Nishi. It's gonna take some getting used to for sure.
Sep 18, 2019 11:56 AM
Apr 2016
Holy shit the animation, quality, sounds, everything is sooo much better, such a giant jump in every single thing, I'm just...mindblown. Oh, also Nishi seems to have a different voice actor.

So, back to the Joe-looking-for-salvation arc, rather interesting I guess. Even though most of it was just recap with astonishing quality, it had quite a few moments we didn't get in the prequel, therefore I assume everything this episode was canon?
Sep 29, 2020 11:27 AM

Jan 2010
I can't believe I forgot how brutal Ashita no Joe gets. It's certainly been a while.
Nov 27, 2020 6:20 PM
May 2019
The animation is much better, the designs are cleaner, there are no errors in animation as in the first series, I did not notice Nishi's voice change but it is true that everything looks much more stylized.

I also have to say that the music if I like it, but it seems they used the same joe whistle music many times, it also seems that they are doing a summary, that does not bother me but to be a sequel to the original series, I feel that it is rushed because the pace of the old series is slower, I think they summarized 2 or 3 chapters in 1 but I feel that it does not have the same depth as the ashita no joe 1 chapters, I someone who saw the original series I do not complain much , I hope the rhythm of the series after this becomes more natural.

But I still like it, good chapter
Dec 20, 2021 1:01 PM

May 2018
Holy shit all the characters look so much more clean and detailed now! Really nice especially for a 70s show :). Let's see Joe get back into that ring soon!
Mar 15, 2022 7:28 PM

Dec 2021
The animation may be significantly better (Ten years will do that), but I just don't like the artstyle as much as I did with the original. The dramatic charcoal shading completely replaced with perfectly spaced thick lines, the colors that don't pop anymore, and something about the new eyes bothers me.

Maybe it's just me. Otherwise, I'm still very excited to see what's changed during Joe's absence.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Mar 19, 2022 11:09 AM
Sep 2017
The updated animation is quite noticeable

OP/ED are 10/10

My favorite scene:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2022 5:20 AM
Jan 2017
muito legal, achei que era continuação mas pelo visto é um rework a 1 temporada a partir da morte do rikishi, mudou bastante coisa da historia só de ver esse eps
Apr 23, 2023 5:58 AM

Jan 2013
Seeing Wolf's jaw actually break was disturbing ...

So I'm guessing we're supposed to ignore everything after Rikiishi's death from the first season, shame because I thought they did a pretty good job with the story.
Seems they're going to at least head in the same direction, Joe's depression and only going for body blows.

Nishi's VA changed but at least this VA fits better than the one they used in the movie.
Animation and art have significantly improved, will be exciting to see what they can do with it.
The atmosphere also feels a lot more gritty to me, which I like.
Aug 20, 2023 7:54 AM
May 2017
The animation is beautiful. Not just more advance animating technology, also a better budget and the new OP and ED is more pleasing to hear. But apart from Gondo getting a more screen time; I dislike the fact this was cut short unlike the Anime original of 1970s which was more elaborate on the effect of PTSD on Joe. But I heard that rest of the remaining story after this is better written. Which I have no doubt because after this a quality of the writing of dropped as it wasn't as impact as Rikiishi's match with Joe.  
Jan 17, 3:27 PM

May 2021
An decade really changed the animation
The quality so much better
Inhales oxygen
May 10, 7:40 AM
Feb 2019
i loved the pacing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Be4st - Jul 6, 2013

107 by diogofla »»
May 20, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 45 Discussion

Akai_Shuichi - Mar 31, 2015

21 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:23 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 46 Discussion

15 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 13, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 44 Discussion

Karusan - Jan 7, 2014

32 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 13, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 43 Discussion

14 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 13, 8:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.