Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 27, 2014 12:23 PM

Jul 2009
so the reason tatsuya lost his emotions is to strategically use regrowth? so he feels no pain?
Jul 2014
7.5/10 It missed a lot of details from the light novels (like the whole numbers and 10 Clans thing) but it did a dang good job taking that into account. This arc was better on all accounts... urgh Material Burst and Maya just sealed the deal.

Yeah, Tatsuya is OP, but if you know any of his backstory it's not that OP, not to mention the fact that he basically can't do any other magic and the stuff he can do still comes back to bite him (thinking the 150x pain from this ep). I actually feel pretty bad for what he experienced as a child :(

Jan 2014
s2k03 said:
Are you guys sure it's over over, I mean the ending made it seem as though there will be more to come. Plus there are some characters that still remain mysterious.

This was an adaptation of an ongoing LN series. So what did you expect?
Sep 27, 2014 12:24 PM

Oct 2013
Kurogashi said:
great stuff lol.
i love how they dont force tatsuya to be someone he's not. he's op and the author embraces that.

7/10
slow start, decent mid, ending was pretty good

More than embracing it, the author makes it a plot point. He likes reading about extremely OP characters who have to focus on politics and economics to get anywhere in life even with their OP powers so I'm not the least bit surprised Tatsuya's so OP.
Sep 27, 2014 12:25 PM

Aug 2010
Yep, more explanations of how BOSS scratch that...GODLY OP Tatsuya is XD

Tbh I really loved this ep a lot :3 Anyway not the best of adaptions but enjoyed it for what it is. 8/10 for me.
Sep 27, 2014 12:26 PM

Jan 2011
mayukachan said:
@uran10: 5 is average, 7 is good. Just pointing that out.

Statistical average refers to the scores actually given, rather than the labels that are stuck on the individual ordinal numbers.

Mean score for shows on MAL is somewhere in the 7.xx mid-range as I recall, and median score would be a 7 or possibly an 8. Mode is probably 7. You can talk about how people should score all you want, but the data is what the data is. And the data shows that MAL users make 7 the average score for the shows they watch.

As for this show it's currently sitting at 7.84 mean and will probably still have a little bit of a rating bump. Median score is a comfortable 8. Mode is currently 8 but there is a small chance it could become a 9. However you slice it, the general MAL membership (or at least those who completed the series) think this show was above average. I think it had some problems, it dragged a bit at times, and they nerfed some of the female characters, but I still gave it an 8.
rodacSep 27, 2014 12:33 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 27, 2014 12:28 PM
Dec 2010
Kurogashi said:

slow start, decent mid, ending was pretty good

More like good, not rushed start, decent mid and a bit disapointing ending ;x

It wasn't bad, however i expected something better as a last episode.

Sep 27, 2014 12:28 PM

Jul 2012
@rodac: Yeah, I know. Like I said, just pointing it out ^^
Sep 27, 2014 12:35 PM
Aug 2014
BeatzMe said:
s2k03 said:
Are you guys sure it's over over, I mean the ending made it seem as though there will be more to come. Plus there are some characters that still remain mysterious.

This was an adaptation of an ongoing LN series. So what did you expect?

So what are you trying to say the anime is over and is gonna be left like that, where as the LN keeps going.
Sep 27, 2014 12:35 PM

Dec 2011
It'd be more enjoyable if most of the "bad-guys" on this series weren't goddamn awful but they don't even tried do shit. Lol dat Material Burst, though.
Sep 27, 2014 12:36 PM

Sep 2013
I feel like Tatsuya is being used.
I feel like he's doing most of the killing.
I feel sad for him now.
I feel why Miyuki is sad

O___________________________O

Sep 27, 2014 12:37 PM

Jun 2014
The rankings on these sorts of sites rarely help you find good animes. Everything inbetween 'great' and 'terrible' is too arbitrarily rated. Everyone has their own ideas about what constitutes an average (even if the numbers have little notes giving pointers) and the general public are easily pleased. People will hail the most generic shallow shit as the bees knees season after season.

But hey, that's why we have reviews! They're actually worth something.
Sep 27, 2014 12:39 PM

Jun 2010
So now it is finally over. They sure rushed through this arc.

All in all the series wasn't as awful as a lot of people made it out to be - but not really good in itself and as an adaption either. At least it got me into reading the novels, which may not be the best thing since sliced bread but at least are entertaining for me. So I leave it at a 6/10.

In the end I acknowledge that the particular writing style of the novels made for a difficult adaption, even though I still can't wrap my head around some of the choices and cutbacks made by the production team. Especially the decision to completely cut the innerthoughts and subtextual levels of the narration made for a very weird perspective for someone who knows the novels. Even further it proved to be pretty detrimental to the characters especially to Tatsuya since he was always more the type who favored keeping silent and thinking his part. But what's done is done.
Sep 27, 2014 12:39 PM

Nov 2013
Let this series serve as one of my many examples of how to be a fucking god awful writer. I've seen better on the shelves of my local book store aimed at 5 year olds. If this series is honestly what you believe to be height of anime judging by the amount of 8-10's this is getting then that's just sad. Surely standards haven't dropped that far. I know we've been through a rough patch my friends but please don't let your mental capacity degrade this much. This anime is the homeless bum of the industry, and rather than give it drug money in the form of BD/merchandise sales, lets shove it under a blanket and hope it survives the winter. Because by god I hope I've forgotten about it come the winter.

The dialogue was absolutely cringe worthy. They couldn't figure out any method of exposition aside from some of the clunkiest overdrawn senseless info dumps that I've ever seen. The 'action' was without any single ounce of suspense or emotion because before anyone even went into the combat you already knew the winner. It was like one of the Rugrats had equipped themselves with a dictionary and decided to write a story using their own faeces as ink.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 27, 2014 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
Tatsuya wiped out the enemy fleet.

Good moment between Tatsuya and Miyuki at the end.

Aug 2014
Maya sama is love, Maya sama is life

Jul 2012
Totally fun watching the show. Now to just get back and finish up reading the LN!
Sep 27, 2014 12:43 PM

Jun 2014

If you compared the writing for the Rugrats and Mahouka you'd never think that the latter was the one targeted at people with fully developed brains and a good level of education.
Sep 27, 2014 12:46 PM

Jul 2013
The Yokohama Arc is probably the best arc of the series, even though it was rushed and the last episode was rushed also. Though the fights and war was well done in a sort of way. Also that large explosion of that Material Burst was O_O.

Well, the ending of the show is open for a second season. I want to see a second season of this tbh.

7/10, everything was rushed tbh, and confusing magic terms and information. Oh yeah Tatsuya too OP of the season. I'm going to read the light novels if I have time.

Sep 27, 2014 12:49 PM

Jul 2011
Tatsuya is too OP. It made this series boring i feel. The fact that Tatsuya feels 150 times the pain of the subject he is healing is completely underwhelming. He never shows the pain of it and shrugs it off. Thats not being a badass, thats making it hard for the me to give a rat's arse about the character that is supposed to be the MC.
Sep 27, 2014 12:53 PM

Mar 2014
Seiryuu2 said:
Aaaah It's over, I am glad they didn't screw up Material Burst magic Animation.
in previous episode, Coyctus magic which is the most powerful magic Miyuki has, was animated so bad and it looks damn suck :CCC

Maya is always fabulous :33

I liked the version in episode 1 more. But great ending, are they going to plan a season 2?
Sep 27, 2014 12:54 PM
Mar 2013
Overkill!!!
Sep 27, 2014 12:59 PM

Feb 2014
Well, that was good I guess, This show wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I feel like it had potential but it didn't use it very well. 7/10.
Sep 27, 2014 1:02 PM
May 2014
rodac said:
You can talk about how people should score all you want, but the data is what the data is. And the data shows that MAL users make 7 the average score for the shows they watch.

Maybe the ratings is skewed mostly because of the rating descriptions.
4 is outright bad, and everything below is worse, which makes them kind of hard to use.

It would've made more sense if "bad" was moved down to 2 or thereabout.

I liked this series, but it has quite a few flaws so I'll give it 7/10.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Sep 27, 2014 1:02 PM

Jan 2014
well that ending is kinda anti climatic, but this was a very good show indeed. I like how a lot of characters are overpowered and all.

8/10
Recommend me an anime
Sep 27, 2014 1:03 PM

May 2010
good ending of a pretty meh show. 5/10
Sep 27, 2014 1:04 PM

Apr 2013
all bow down before our god tatsuya

anyway

as an ending to a season it was good

should this be the end of mahouka as a whole it was kinda disappointing

character design was pretty good
music was kinda hit and miss felt like there were only 4 tracks
animation was great during the action scenes
overall i thought it was enjoyable
i liked the info dumping the series did

7/10

to novel readers. how much did the anime cover now and how much is left after that?
xSanoxSep 27, 2014 1:08 PM
Sep 27, 2014 1:06 PM
May 2014
darkflamemaster2 said:
Tatsuya is too OP. It made this series boring i feel. The fact that Tatsuya feels 150 times the pain of the subject he is healing is completely underwhelming. He never shows the pain of it and shrugs it off. Thats not being a badass, thats making it hard for the me to give a rat's arse about the character that is supposed to be the MC.

I case you didn't get it. If it is 30 seconds later it's 150 times the pain. An hour later is 10000 times the pain.
If I seem to remember reading that he was sweating because of the pain in the LN.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth

Apr 2012
4/10

It was a painful ride. 2nd season when?

Jul 2013
Still at bit rushed but not as bad as last week. Material Burst didn't disappoint. I just wish they had Kazama or Fujibayashi explain how it works. "Based on Einstein's Formula, the energy created was mass multiplied by the speed of light squared. Tatsuya's magic transformed 1 kg of matter directly into energy. In accordance with Einstein's Formula, the heat energy equated to approximately 20,000,000 tons of TNT."

Might see a second season. If there is one, I really hope they give it more episodes next time since they hardly ever explain how everything works.
Sep 27, 2014 1:12 PM
Jul 2012
Honestly, this anime was pretty good. It holds strong in combat and the characters all have a form of quirk that makes them likable. And with a huge cast, its easy to enjoy.

This episode ended on a rather weird note. I mean, it felt like they wanted to mark the series as a beginning to a new age.(which is probably true) And given that, a sequel is likely in the works. Seeing Tatsuya's Regrowth and having it better explained was a nice addition. And seeing the Third Eye's Mass Dispersion(I think thats what it was called) was amazing.

But, as an overall series I seriously hate one thing about the anime as a whole. I feel completely lost on its mechanics and current events. I feel they don't spend enough time explaining everything. Sure, its fun and enjoyable with the spectacular animation and music, but I always feel lost. I'm always wondering why Tatsuya is doing this, why his enemy this time is doing this, how this magic works, why this one is so important to this arc. I'm always getting lost on this. If the series was longer, I wish they had spent the time to explain this sort of stuff. I still get confused on the wiki though, so this might just be my fault. 7/10 due to my lack of understanding.

PS: If you don't mind, could someone make some fourm explaining everything that went down in each arc and the magic mechanics?
Sep 27, 2014 1:13 PM

Jan 2011
May Onii-sama bless us with a second season.

Amen.
Sep 27, 2014 1:13 PM
Apr 2014
Chiwa Saito as Maya Shiba?
Sep 27, 2014 1:14 PM

Jul 2014
i won't say it's a grand finale because this series isn't end yet as the novel goes on, but the last episode is great even i'm expecting a better ending.

how could lu gang ho and that annoying leader got beaten so easily?

geez his magic, heal in the left and attack in the right, god

9/10

and wishing the next season
a dual-sword wielder, fire element in right arm and ice element in left arm
Sep 27, 2014 1:18 PM

Jun 2014
konatachan80 said:
rodac said:
You can talk about how people should score all you want, but the data is what the data is. And the data shows that MAL users make 7 the average score for the shows they watch.

4 is outright bad, and everything below is worse, which makes them kind of hard to use.

Yeah I'd have had 4 as "below average" and 6 as "above average".
Bad seems like too harsh a word for most people.
ChabeSep 27, 2014 1:57 PM
Sep 27, 2014 1:23 PM

Feb 2012
4/10 series. Nothing else to say, ill forget about it in a day or two.
Sep 27, 2014 1:33 PM

Apr 2013
novian14 said:
how could lu gang ho and that annoying leader got beaten so easily?
because they fought Tatsuya God.
Sep 27, 2014 1:35 PM

Jun 2012
xSanox said:

to novel readers. how much did the anime cover now and how much is left after that?

The anime covered the novels 1-7 more or less. There's 14 vols atm but the 14th is part 1 of 2/3 so they probably cover 8-13 if there's a second season.
Sep 27, 2014 1:36 PM

Mar 2013
Awful.
4/10.
Sep 27, 2014 1:46 PM

May 2011
finally it's over, and i hope it's a step towards a new season.
overall a nice graphic but unfortunately bad directing/screenplay, to many scene where there's no feel in it, just plain flat animation when there's a strong need for it. like in this episode, when miyuki explain tatsuya magic "regrowth", it's just plain and flat, no feel in it. but still this adaptation could offer a nice visual/graphic adaptation of the fighting/magic use.

if this anime could get a second season i really hope it would be another studio or at least different director, like Ishizuka Atsuko perhaps.

with this flaw, it's hard to give it more than 5/10 (average). but well, give it less than 7 would certainly make miyuki angry, so 7/10.
Sep 27, 2014 1:54 PM

Sep 2014
it's over!!!!!!!! meh last episode but at least we got to see godsuya but overall thats all this show was about him season 2 hoping so but not gonna hold my breath for it.
Sep 27, 2014 1:55 PM
May 2014
Chabe said:
konatachan80 said:

Yeah I'd have had 4 as "below average" and 5 as "above average".
Bad seems like too harsh a word for most people.

It isn't too harsh, but it doesn't really match with its placement on the scale.
I would probably use something like:
6 = above average
5 = average
4 = below average
3 = not recommended (or something like that)
2 = bad
1 = horrible
-- Lord fifth
Sep 27, 2014 1:55 PM
Apr 2013
Found it hard to watch this entire show. Only watched it for the hope that it would match the hype but it never did. About only 1/6th of the episodes I found enjoyable (and I mean barely enjoyable).
4/10
Sep 27, 2014 1:57 PM

Jun 2014

Yeah that's sort of what I meant. The 5 as "above average" was a typo, I'll fix that ^.^
Sep 27, 2014 2:00 PM

Jun 2013
Moral of the story - Don't mess with Jesus onii-sama!
He can fly, has a black hole gun, and instacast Rez (no CD).

7/10
Sep 27, 2014 2:11 PM

Mar 2009
who needs an army if you have Tatsuya
Sep 27, 2014 2:14 PM

Sep 2011
I never took the show seriously since episode 1 so I found it pretty funny throughout the whole show. Giving it a 5.5, so a 6/10 for the whole show. If I had to rate each arc, it'd be like... First arc = 4. Second arc = 7, and the final arc is like a 5.

I won't dismiss that show has problems everywhere and that onii-sama is the most OP character in bloody existence, but it managed to keep me entertained, so yeah.
Sep 27, 2014 2:22 PM

Mar 2014
GNX00Q said:

PS: If you don't mind, could someone make some fourm explaining everything that went down in each arc and the magic mechanics?

Read the first two arcs of the LN, they explain magic a lot more detailed.
Sep 27, 2014 2:28 PM

Jun 2013
Not being able to use other magic because of overcrippling specialization? Receives pain whenever he heals someone? Oh yeah, because that has been a limiter in the past.

I am so glad that this is over. I only finished watching this because of a promise. Overall, the only redeeming quality about this show is the good animation and voice cast, which did a decent job. Otherwise, it's utterly horrible. One-dimensional characters, broken plot, fights that can be overly complex, too much goddamn "onii-sama".

If the show had been like the last arc during the entire run, I would have given it a 5. However, the first two arcs feels like some of the worst fanfiction material out there. I am actually hoping Madhouse drops this to focus on something else with their capabilities but I guess that's just wishful thinking.
Missing the times of Rewrite, good times.
Sep 27, 2014 2:31 PM
Oct 2012
I'm glad this piece of shit is finally over
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

32 by yamori_058 »»
Apr 28, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.