Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 27, 2014 2:35 PM

May 2014
HunterTennouji said:
Not being able to use other magic because of overcrippling specialization? Receives pain whenever he heals someone? Oh yeah, because that has been a limiter in the past.

I am so glad that this is over. I only finished watching this because of a promise. Overall, the only redeeming quality about this show is the good animation and voice cast, which did a decent job. Otherwise, it's utterly horrible. One-dimensional characters, broken plot, fights that can be overly complex, too much goddamn "onii-sama".

If the show had been like the last arc during the entire run, I would have given it a 5. However, the first two arcs feels like some of the worst fanfiction material out there. I am actually hoping Madhouse drops this to focus on something else with their capabilities but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Good animation????hahaha.the animation sucked after the 1st few eps,and MH butchered the story.But I agree with you,hope they change studios for a possible season 2 ,because MH failed terribly again to adapt an LN :)
Sep 27, 2014 2:38 PM

Jun 2013
darkreaperix said:
HunterTennouji said:
Not being able to use other magic because of overcrippling specialization? Receives pain whenever he heals someone? Oh yeah, because that has been a limiter in the past.

I am so glad that this is over. I only finished watching this because of a promise. Overall, the only redeeming quality about this show is the good animation and voice cast, which did a decent job. Otherwise, it's utterly horrible. One-dimensional characters, broken plot, fights that can be overly complex, too much goddamn "onii-sama".

If the show had been like the last arc during the entire run, I would have given it a 5. However, the first two arcs feels like some of the worst fanfiction material out there. I am actually hoping Madhouse drops this to focus on something else with their capabilities but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Good animation????hahaha.the animation sucked after the 1st few eps,and MH butchered the story.But I agree with you,hope they change studios for a possible season 2 ,because MH failed terribly again to adapt an LN :)

No, I wanted them to drop it because the story is appalling. If it some plot points were lost during the adaption, the overall story is horrible. There are other LNs that deserves an adaption (or continuation) more than this one.
Missing the times of Rewrite, good times.
Sep 27, 2014 2:41 PM

Aug 2011
My comedy of the year has ended! Man I really laughed my ass off, especially with this episode. TATSUYA3GOOD5YOU
Sep 27, 2014 2:41 PM

May 2014
HunterTennouji said:

No, I wanted them to drop it because the story is appalling. If it some plot points were lost during the adaption, the overall story is horrible. There are other LNs that deserves an adaption (or continuation) more than this one.

Nope MH just butchered the story,killed characterization and rushed/cut too many important scenes making it incoherent.Almost the way they butchered Mahou Sensou.I'd rather MH stick with manga's or original anime's. :)

Hoping for 8-bit or Silverlight or JC Staff for s2 :)
darkreaperixSep 27, 2014 2:47 PM
Sep 27, 2014 2:46 PM

Mar 2013
Finally it is over...26 episodes; it was too long for that anime.

In most episodes I got bored...

I finished it ijust to finish .

5/10

(I probably won't watch if 2. season comes out)
Sep 27, 2014 2:48 PM

Jul 2013
May the Tatsuya be with you, from now on.
Sep 27, 2014 2:56 PM

Apr 2011
Enjoyed it. seeing him use that Material Burst to destroy everything makes it more fun. enjoyed the anime, thought Tatsuya was fecking epic, and probably the best point, none of the main and pseudo main characters where annoying or useless, so thats always a bonus
Sep 27, 2014 2:57 PM
Aug 2014
So yeah, I enjoyed it! Definitely could've been a lot better, but it could've been worse too! Not even close to as awesome as the LN though! I give it a 7 or 8!
For those who asked, the anime got up to volume 7 of the LN (having skipped volume 5). If they ever make another season, I would say they would cover only the visitor arc (up to volume 11) because a lot happens and they can't possibly fit the start of year 2 into the same season!
Sep 27, 2014 2:58 PM

Jul 2008
Tactical Tatsuya deployed!
Sep 27, 2014 3:12 PM

Jul 2013
Handz said:
Enjoyed it. seeing him use that Material Burst to destroy everything makes it more fun. enjoyed the anime, thought Tatsuya was fecking epic, and probably the best point, none of the main and pseudo main characters where annoying or useless, so thats always a bonus

agree with you man, and it's rare to see a show that all the characters are cool or badass
"If you don't know where you want to go, then it doesn't matter which path you take."
Sep 27, 2014 3:30 PM

Jun 2010
wow tatsuya really just owned them all
tatsuya godness probably the most memorable thing about this show,,, story not much
still a good show 7/10
animation was consistent every ep. kudos mad house~!
Sep 27, 2014 3:35 PM

May 2014
Overall: one of the few anime series I'd watch again.
Sep 27, 2014 3:50 PM

Mar 2009
Good riddance to the most OP character ever created. I will never understand why this series is so popular.
Sep 27, 2014 3:54 PM

Dec 2013
Too bad the anime is vastly inferior to the LN, but I still enjoyed watching this show :)
Sep 27, 2014 3:56 PM

Aug 2012
The show could've benefited more from initial world building. This show's main strength is its action, but it's hindered by its bad pacing (e.g. ending the episode right in the middle of a fight without warning). A lot of the time is also spent explaining how even the most obvious scenarios worked, indicating a lack of "show, not tell."

5/10
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Sep 27, 2014 4:15 PM

Dec 2013
Vexper said:
Let this series serve as one of my many examples of how to be a fucking god awful writer. I've seen better on the shelves of my local book store aimed at 5 year olds. If this series is honestly what you believe to be height of anime judging by the amount of 8-10's this is getting then that's just sad. Surely standards haven't dropped that far. I know we've been through a rough patch my friends but please don't let your mental capacity degrade this much. This anime is the homeless bum of the industry, and rather than give it drug money in the form of BD/merchandise sales, lets shove it under a blanket and hope it survives the winter. Because by god I hope I've forgotten about it come the winter.

The dialogue was absolutely cringe worthy. They couldn't figure out any method of exposition aside from some of the clunkiest overdrawn senseless info dumps that I've ever seen. The 'action' was without any single ounce of suspense or emotion because before anyone even went into the combat you already knew the winner. It was like one of the Rugrats had equipped themselves with a dictionary and decided to write a story using their own faeces as ink.

This^^

Awful writing+episodic nature ruined what could have been an excellent anime. Every time i watched this i kept thinking how interesting it could have been, just to be disappointing. I still like it a lot more than some stuff i have watched so:

5/10

This is definetly going to be the first light novel i'll read, if i start reading them.
Sep 27, 2014 4:24 PM

Jun 2013
holy shit it ended with a bang
Sep 27, 2014 4:33 PM

Jul 2012
It was okay some arcs were way better than others. Overal I enjoyed it.

8/10.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Sep 27, 2014 4:39 PM
Jan 2014
I don't like the light novel that much, but the anime is definitely ruined by the staff, if there is a second season(hopefully not)please change the director and production company.
Sep 27, 2014 4:56 PM
Aug 2011
So, how does the source material compare? I've heard plenty of people say that the anime butchered the light novel series, so I was considering on just reading that instead. Any thoughts?
Sep 27, 2014 4:56 PM
Aug 2012
neilviosuy said:
While everything was meh and ok I can't help but feel disappointed during the first couple of minutes.

I mean wtf? they are suppose to be from a special unit right? Why are they getting shot down just like that? (multiples times, not just once).

The way they revealed the title of Mahesvra was stupid and gay.

His Decomposition always bothers me. The way they animated it is so gay.

The first material burst was also gay. The second was better.

Overall the series was ok despite the gayness factor/rushed episodes etc. *7/10*

The series is a far cry from its source.

^ I think someone is dying to get out of the closet. ^
Sep 27, 2014 5:01 PM

Mar 2009
I hope there is a second season!
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Sep 27, 2014 5:10 PM

Jun 2013
Enjoyed that series quite a lot and I wouldn't mind a second season as well.
Sep 27, 2014 5:14 PM

Aug 2014
Well, well. My favourite anime of this season ends. The Saturdays without Tatsuya and Miyuki will be painful. I really enjoyed Material Burst and Tatsuya's other nickname being revealed. After he obliterated the enemy he goes back to being a student, hah. So typical, i'm gonna miss that.

It was a good ending episode, opened doors for a second season (hopefully!), and the ending scene? Cute. Yep, it was.

5/5 for the episode. I've actually decided to write my very first review on MAL, and it'll be for Mahouka. See you in season 2, Onii-sama~

~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Sep 27, 2014 5:16 PM
Oct 2010
Ah so the teens beat mr infamous special forces guy again. Nice... I guess he forgot how to magic at that point anyway. Oh and Tatsuya is basically a god with and makes an invincible, flying army by himself and can insta kill anyone or anything? Nice.. not sure why japan doesn't just take over the world at this point, they have god on their side. Also between all the fighting the Japanese lost almost no way but some no name characters.. I guess that's the way it goes when god himself is on your side. Not to mention he can snipe you with mini nukes.. zzzzzzz

2/10, good production values and a decent setup
-8 for the god awful plot and characters and massive waste of potential.. jesus christ.
GD1551Sep 27, 2014 5:26 PM
Sep 27, 2014 5:42 PM

Aug 2012
I came for the Material Burst, and it didn't disappoint. Onii-sama proved the he is god~
Now, season 2 when? The sales are good so it is unthinkable they won't make a new one. Aside from that, I also want to see Lina, Honoka v2 and Honami :/

hibikiyamada said:
So, how does the source material compare? I've heard plenty of people say that the anime butchered the light novel series, so I was considering on just reading that instead. Any thoughts?

Like a Manual :)
Of course, it's a universal rule that the source material is better than the adaptation. There are a few exceptions though...
Sep 27, 2014 5:49 PM

Sep 2007
Oh, the trainwreck finally ended. Good grief that was a terrible show. I liked how they tried to shoehorn in a weakness for Tatsuya in the last episode. "He's not THAT OP. He still feels the pain, ya know." Yeah, he feels 150x the pain and still shows zero emotion for it. 6/10 and that's being generous.
Sep 27, 2014 5:55 PM

May 2010
I need a summary of this arc lol.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 27, 2014 5:57 PM

Jun 2012
Scorched halloween. That sounds so damn awesome!! It seems like this is where the story really begins.
Sep 27, 2014 5:58 PM
Jun 2010
So basically, Japan with Nukes? If this is what Japan think the war with China will be like...

1/10
Sep 27, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2014
hibikiyamada said:

The light Novel is better compared to the anime itself, and the current rating of Mahouka Series on MAL is too overatted. This series should deserve rating at least 7.50+ not 7.84

There are lot of better explanation as well as lot of monologue from Tatsuya, Miyuki and Other Character. the character development on LN is pretty much better than the Anime series and in the LN they showed the background story how and why Tatsuya became like this way after the Yokohama Arc (Which is just ended in the Anime)

Sep 27, 2014 6:08 PM

Jan 2011
Holy crap it's finally over so many things have taught me not to give into hype anymore with yet again another show that was hyped to no end turning out pretty bad with very few good parts not to mention having OP MC which is in fact god.

truly want to believe the LNs are good but for this adaptation it gets a 6/10
Sep 27, 2014 6:10 PM
Jul 2011
When Tatsuya used the Material Burst for the second time, did civilians living on the islands and lands caught up in the explosion?

Great Asian Alliance should have not launched an another attack at the first time they saw Material Burst's power, and evacuated the civilians living there.

But, if I'm missing something, can anyone fill me in?
Sep 27, 2014 6:14 PM

Jun 2010
hibikiyamada said:

Honestly all I can suggest to you is to try read a volume. Even though I found the novels quite entertaining myself - Mahouka's novels have a particular style that I can imagine not appealing to everyone. A sizeable part of the narration is spent on the inner workings of the characters - thoughts, monologues, subtextual level and explanations sourrounding situations rather than just things happening.

That is also what I expect made the whole thing so difficult to adapt. And here with this adaption the production team decided to leave all that out of the adaption. So that in the end the anime is more or less just bare bones - the things that actually happen rather than a presentation of the whole picture. But that also meant that you haven't gotten much of an insight into the characters. A flaw wich was especially detrimental for Tatsuya. I mean even in the novels he isn't the spring of life but for a character such as his that rather keeps his thoughts to himself it is necessary to get these to see his perspective.

So for that alone I think it is woth to read the novels. Aside from that they rushed a lot through these arcs so that means a lot of cut scenes, context and character interactions. The worldbuilding again is of course pretty much the strongest point going for Mahouka and therefore its novels. And it is of course more detailed in those.

So give it a try. It is like I said before not the best thing since sliced bread but can be pretty entertaining.
Sep 27, 2014 6:21 PM
May 2014
Wasabi said:
I liked how they tried to shoehorn in a weakness for Tatsuya in the last episode. "He's not THAT OP. He still feels the pain, ya know." Yeah, he feels 150x the pain and still shows zero emotion for it. 6/10 and that's being generous.

That wasn't really shoehorned.
Remember that only 6 of the 14 volumes (so far) was in this series, iow 1-4 and 6-7.
They skipped things here and there which they probably shouldn't and so on.

It was 150x after 30 seconds, but thats increased for every second. Basically all the pain the target
got throughout is compressed into those 0,2 seconds he uses to restore what/whoever.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Sep 27, 2014 6:25 PM
Jan 2010
butchered the source material so hard. I cry. I really wanted this to be a good adaption but oh well.

Funny thing: People think this anime is slow-paced. That's wrong. This anime is actually really rushed and fast. It killed all the characterization for the characters and didn't even world build enough for people to know why these things are happening.
Sep 27, 2014 6:38 PM

Sep 2013
WELP GG GUYS I R8 TATSUYA IS A GOD
MY SCORE IS GOD/TATSUYA
Sep 27, 2014 6:45 PM
May 2013
Wonder why so many people forgot that tatsuya has been alter by his mother(yotsuba family). Due to this alteration, there is no emotion left such is pain, sadness, love. Why complain he does not showing pain? Maybe the animation didnot show it, but if you read the LN, you can know more detail how his ability cause to him.

Im gonna miss this show. After this 2nd year tatsuya and miyuki next season! if they wanna animate it.
Sep 27, 2014 6:49 PM

Jul 2008
Solid 8/10. For people crying that it was too slow: It wasn't. For those who say it was too fast and didn't explain every thought process of every character at all times: That's impossible outside of a book.
Sep 27, 2014 6:49 PM
Jan 2010
kazumazero said:
Wonder why so many people forgot that tatsuya has been alter by his mother(yotsuba family). Due to this alteration, there is no emotion left such is pain, sadness, love. Why complain he does not showing pain? Maybe the animation didnot show it, but if you read the LN, you can know more detail how his ability cause to him.

Im gonna miss this show. After this 2nd year tatsuya and miyuki next season! if they wanna animate it.

Pain is not an emotion and in the novels, he did show reaction to the pain. Madhouse just didn't animate it for some reason.
Sep 27, 2014 7:00 PM

Oct 2013
Could someone who read the novel tell me in SPOILERS if there's any antagonists similar strength to Shiba or at least a bit tough to beat? This OP thing is starting to get on my nerves
Sep 27, 2014 7:05 PM

Dec 2013
So they finally did some explanations of the abilities, and we get to see the relevance of the auntie. Although it was a pretty bad adaptation, I'm giving it an 8/10 just cuz Tatsuya.
Sep 27, 2014 7:07 PM

Aug 2011
9/10 for sorcerer halloween
Sep 27, 2014 7:08 PM
Dec 2009
Mahone7 said:
Could someone who read the novel tell me in SPOILERS if there's any antagonists similar strength to Shiba or at least a bit tough to beat? This OP thing is starting to get on my nerves

Sep 27, 2014 7:10 PM

Aug 2013
Finally got to see properly the massively powerful magic Tatsuya used in the opening scenes of the first episode. The man is more powerful than a nuclear missile! Now that his classmates know more about his powerful abilities and his military background I doubt they will see him the same way. I'm very interested to see what will happen next to everyone and whether Tatsuya goes back to school, despite the fact he's very much above going there.

I really liked this series despite the fact I would often get confused by some of the info dumps and while a lot of the greater details of this show and it's world escaped my understanding it was incredibly entertaining series with interesting and engaging characters. Here's hoping for a second series! 9/10
Sep 27, 2014 7:11 PM

Mar 2013
Tatsuya is a God. No doubt about it.
Activating two large scale Material Bursts on the Great Asian Alliance and causes a turning point in history - Scorched Halloween
I love muh OP Alpha Gary Stu characters, I really do.
I heard the LNs are doing good in sales, so I'm expecting a season 2.
8/10
Sep 27, 2014 7:13 PM

Sep 2013
"slow clap and cries :(

Brilliant 10/10

My a$$hole

;) - XD

Hmm future weapons maybe? he now has a third eye gun and his regrowth is his daruma? :O
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva
Sep 27, 2014 7:24 PM

Aug 2013
And ends this that was one of the most anticipated anime of the year, it took a few episodes to catch a rhythm to arrest the viewer, but has improved a lot and had a great ending
The last episode had a very rapid development, yet the action scenes were good and showed how Tatsuya is a character stolen, with one hand he takes life easily and with the other can also easily recover life
The animation was excellent, as well as the soundtrack, the development was also very good, and the adaptation of last arcs was also very good
I personally quite like the plot of this story, and the LN is very good indeed, so who interested in anime should definitely read, even the adapted arches by anime should be read, and the next arc is directly linked to the final request of the aunt of Tatsuya and Miyuki, will there be a second season?
Certainly the anime was very good and I recommend everyone to see ..
Sep 27, 2014 7:32 PM

Jul 2014
Holy crap, nerf mages!
Sep 27, 2014 7:40 PM

Aug 2013
Scorched? He remodeled the landscape haha.

As an LN reader, the adaptation gets a passing score. I've always wondered how they're going to show Tatsuya's inner monologues (his thoughts explains a lot about him) and the heavy magic-technobabble. Not surprised why a lot of people thought it was boring, it's really heavy in the magic-speak. All that aside, I was entertained.

Not going to talk about the writing. I'll save that for the LN thread.

7/10
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

32 by yamori_058 »»
Apr 28, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.