Forums
New
Racist/Sexist/Nationalistic/Dumb
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 17, 2015 4:02 AM
Jan 2014
If your line of thinking is
Neanderthal + cockroach = African caricature
You might want to reconsider who the actual racist is.
Oct 22, 2015 10:19 AM

Oct 2015
The roach/black comparison is too simple.
I havent read the entire manga, but my understanding is the entire plot is about human intrigues (nation Vs. nation), and the roaches are just "the surface".
If anything there is an anti-Chinese plot, but I dont know the whole plot so I cannot say.

Its also really not clear that the roaches are the ultimate enemy...Could be they are just a tool by the real enemy (the Chinese government?) and so on.

Saying terraformars is racist just because of the roaches is just another low IQ hasty generalization from people/media who dont watch the show in detail.

As to Nationalistic....The entire Annex 1 crew seems to be various nations (Whites/Europeans/Americans/Russians working with Japanese & other Asians) to save humanity...Its not like its Japanese only crew getting backstabbed by the Whites.
So no its not nationalistic.
Oct 22, 2015 10:53 AM

Jul 2015
I admit I thought it looked a bit like negroes when I first saw it .

But that's probably what the artist visualized and he probably wasn't trying to be racist .I don't think he needs to change how they are drawn just to appease some nitpickers .

By the way ,I'm black .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Oct 23, 2015 1:44 PM

Oct 2015
The roaches also do look like....humanoid Roaches.
http://songsofinsects.com/wp-content/uploads/insect_musicians_neocur-hexa_LE_WHITE.jpg

A classic case of "jump the gun" I think...
And always by the same White knights who will also jump for supposed cases of sexism and so on...
Jan 22, 2016 2:55 PM
May 2015
This is did offend me a bit. Terra Formars is definitely racist. Firstly, the black roaches resemble African Americans. Secondly, the German is freaking made Adolf and is portrayed as a great character. Third, the scene where Russian dude was bragging about Russian being scary was clearly poetically biased and used to 'mock' the Soviet Union. Lastly, I didn't like the way the Chinese were presented, and how they died. To me, it's like a threat made to China.

Personally, I'm really infto politics and world issues so I can see where this show is going with its 'racism' contents. But overall I didn't mind that much and rly enjoyed it. The concept is really good.
Mar 26, 2016 10:04 AM

Jun 2013
I don't see anything racist or sexist with the series.

And here I thought it was racist because there are barely any POC in it aside from the Japanese and Chinese characters. I would complain that it doesn't have any Malaysians, Filipinos, Indonesians, Cambodians, Thai, Mongolian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, etc. people but I just accept it for what it is. There would be a long list of ethnicities that were disincluded in many series for a multitude of reasons. I find it funny though that people think the roaches are supposed to represent black people that was the last thing on my mind. Those roaches are fucking creepy but I never thought of them as representative of any human.

Killing female characters is sexist? I'm a woman and I'm just going to say, "Shut the fuck up!" to whoever thinks that. They're killing a lot of male characters too but is that sexist? Jesus Christ. You got many strong female characters and just because some of them die doesn't mean it's sexist. Again, I thought people were saying it was sexist because of that one woman saying that "women are meant to fall in love at anytime" or some shit like that. LOL Since they're killing roaches, there's insect abuse too, huh?
臭い-
Apr 30, 2016 7:06 PM

Jan 2013
The old, "you said it's racist when it's not , so who's the racist now" argument ......Ha! Clearly this show has a racist tone to it when it comes to the roaches. It's not surprising that white people and other cultures are oblivious, ignorant, and insensitive to these views just as they generally are in real life. To act as if the illustration of the roaches don't heavily favor black stereotypes of image and presence shows a denial or a complete loss of touch with reality. We have one clown in here arguing that the scan of them holding a gun sideways is just do to incorrect understanding of how to hold a gun lol. This thread actually goes to show how out of touch on race most of anime watches possibly are.
Apr 30, 2016 7:14 PM

Sep 2013
^or they hold the gun like that because they're roaches XD

The problem is black entitlement and the white man demonization.
Blacks are always the first ones to cry racism and think they can't be racist.
Apr 30, 2016 7:32 PM

Jun 2010
"Racist"......"sexist" at this point.......due to the ridiculous number of times these words have been thrown around. They lose meaning and at this rate "continue" to lose meaning.
Jul 10, 2019 11:39 PM
Apr 2017
I do think it's racest because if you look at the manga the cockroaches have obvious tropes. They don't look like black people because they can't look exactly like black people and even if they did its like a really ugly and over the top depiction, those who don't see it.... The delusion is real, that being said I don't really care, my entertainment doesn't have to reflect my world view and guess what? I'm entertained.
May 2, 2020 3:23 PM
May 2020
this shit bounces from action explanation action explanation and so on. i dont get to enjoy it totally. the story diverges every 3mins
Nov 28, 2021 11:45 AM

May 2016
Foxfire said:
These are a few words people have used to describe this series.

Do you agree or disagree that Terra Formars falls into one, some or all of these categories and also why?

the only people who think x is racism are the ones like you. literally no one thought this... until YOU brought it up. just like the whole orc thing
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2014

194 by JVskunkape »»
May 16, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2014

250 by JVskunkape »»
May 14, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2014

348 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 30, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2014

125 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 29, 10:41 PM

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2014

73 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 29, 10:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.