Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 26, 2014 5:47 PM

Jun 2009
C'mon... I haven't read the manga, but even I think this sounds dumb.

Every revenge seeker is Eren. Every blonde bowl-cut is Armin.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Sep 26, 2014 6:01 PM

Jul 2013
ITT op sees vague similarities to his favorite animu and has to pay worship to it by claiming that it all stemmed from SnK.

It's like you don't realize entertainment, history, and technology has always influenced each other. Learn the differences between actual plagiarism and influence.
"I've always seen failure as a possibility, but never as an option."
vndb||Serumeito Twitter||Discord: Bunny of Wrath#3201
Sep 26, 2014 6:02 PM

Feb 2013
It actually hurts to read this thread.
Sep 26, 2014 6:09 PM

Jun 2014
Terra Formars a rip - off of SnK? I didn't really like the first episode of Terra Formars, but even I can see it wasn't anything near a rip - off.
Sep 26, 2014 8:50 PM

Jan 2011
Is SnK a rip off of Shadow of the Colossus?
Sep 26, 2014 9:36 PM

Nov 2012
robis798 said:
Marzan said:
The manga has been around for some years so I think the OP needs to inform himself before opening a thread.

Or ! Or you could just normally tell and explain to a person instead of putting such repulsive attitude. If you had time to write something in this thread, you might as well explain it to the person. I am takling about some of you here.
The best thing to tell OP is to read the fucknig manga.
Sep 27, 2014 1:54 AM
Mar 2014
Attack on Titans? Dude, you should become a comedian. Seriously, where the hell people getting AoT from? If anything is similar to this series, it's Gantz.
Sep 27, 2014 5:53 AM

Nov 2008
OP is a dumb nut
Sep 27, 2014 6:18 AM
Jun 2009
reactionary said:
Feaor said:
Nah, Terra Formars is just the racist bug manga, totally different from SnK

What's racist about it? Are the cockroaches symbolic of the third world or something? There are black people with them in the expedition so I don't quite see it as "racist" but maybe it could just be an analogy for third world overpopulation which isn't really a racist thing so much as a poverty thing.

Lonespacer said:
Seriously? Is anything that's even remotely edgy going to be compared to AoT, don't be so narrow-minded.

I'm not. The trailer seemed as if it was purposely trying to look like AoT. The drawing style is even purposefully similar.

RevolverSnake said:
I guess you didn't read the manga, kid.

rederoin said:
Actually try reading the manga before you assume such things.

Just because it has a manga doesn't mean it isn't an attempt to do something similar to somebody else's work. Ever heard of plagiarism? You guys DO KNOW THAT TERRA FORMARS came out 2 years AFTER Attack on Titan's manga which took the manga world by storm, right?!

And now that I did a simple google search with the two animes, it seems I'm not alone. It's being constantly compared to Attack on Titans, without itself inviting the comparison (which means IT IS SIMILAR). It's not hard to realize the guy who wrote the manga was DEFINITELY influenced by Attack on Titan at the LEAST, and at the most, was actively trying to come up with something similar.

Similarities
-------------
1. Enemy monsters are humanoid.
2. Enemy monsters are ugly.
3. Enemy monsters are male-looking mostly.
4. Enemy monsters are generally buff.
5. Enemy monsters (at least in the trailer) don't seem to speak (but I heard they do)
6. Enemy humanoid monsters trying to eat humans.
7. The number of the enemy is seemingly endless.
8. The humans "expedition party" that explores gets mostly wiped out
9. A new type of human weapon is unveiled to defeat the enemy.
10. Most of the main characters have non-japanese names.
11. The origin of the enemy is shrouded and is science-based not magic.
12. The drawing style seems purposefully similar.
13. Both have a black haired female love-interest who had a traumatic childhood experience and were saved by the male partner.
14. They are actively using many AoT voice actors such as the ones who play Reiner Braun, Zoë Hanji, Farlan Church, and Marlo from AoT are also voice acting in Terra Formars.

Differences
-------------
1. Setting: It's in space and set on a different planet.
2. Shingeki only has 1 japanese (Mikasa) Terra Formars has a lot more.

And I am being honest here, I could probably think up a dozen more similarities if I worked at it.

First, you didnt read the manga. Many in your list are false.

Second, from your list, there are a ton of manga that AoT copied from. I failed to see the problem. Actually, AoT is one of the less original manga that I have read. Try something that is actually better than AoT...like, Claymore.
Sep 27, 2014 6:20 AM

Jul 2012
If there is something I would compare Terra Formars to, it would be Gantz and not Attack on Titan. ROFL.
Sep 27, 2014 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
UneasyHeart said:
Um, so a few similarities automatically make it into a rip-off?

By OPs logic, yes.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 27, 2014 9:03 AM

Jun 2012
What the heck, another muv luv?
Get me outta here.

This thread is a ripoff of Attack on Titan, but OP doesn't have walls to protect himself.

Terra Formars sold relatively well long before it was adapted into an Anime. I'm sure stories similar to Terra Formars are relevant, but to even suggest plagiarism?
OchimushaSep 27, 2014 9:07 AM
Sep 27, 2014 9:10 AM

Jan 2008
When you get down to it Titans are just giant wang-less zombies.
Sep 27, 2014 9:43 AM
Oct 2013
rederoin said:
UneasyHeart said:
Um, so a few similarities automatically make it into a rip-off?

By OPs logic, yes.

Every single time tbh. Whether it's an anime or a movie, if people are even slightly reminded of a previous show they've watched from watching a particular anime, then they'll call it a "rip-off" no matter how far-fetched the reasons are.
Sep 27, 2014 9:52 AM

Jun 2008
I think Terra Formars is a prequel to Mars of Destruction.
You read it here first.
Sep 27, 2014 11:28 AM

Jan 2010
Retard
Sep 27, 2014 11:24 PM

Mar 2014
People who've read the manga have said no and yet you still insist on it. You're embarrassing.
Sep 28, 2014 12:11 AM

Oct 2013
I think black bullet was an Attack on Titan ripoff too
Sep 28, 2014 1:38 AM
Oct 2013
Let me guess. You rated Attack on Titan 10.
Sep 28, 2014 1:56 AM

Nov 2013
Nah, most of people who think this is AoT rip-off probably saw very few anime to compare.

Also this
Feaor said:
You all need to watch Nami.

Sep 28, 2014 3:54 AM

Dec 2013
The only comparison I can find in Terra Formars and AoT is kinda similar artwork. ut even this is not that similar.
Sep 28, 2014 11:08 AM

Aug 2014
Oh boy i knew this thread was coming, was not disappointed
Sep 28, 2014 1:46 PM

Dec 2013
Nachotee said:
Don't see you complaining about how SnK is a ripoff of the muvluv VNs.
Oh right, that's cause you're a faggot.
Sep 28, 2014 1:55 PM

Oct 2013
Kwazar said:
If there is something I would compare Terra Formars to, it would be Gantz and not Attack on Titan. ROFL.

Funny thing is that people also compare gantz with attack on titan. I don't see the comparison either.
Sep 29, 2014 1:13 PM

Mar 2014
keragamming said:
Kwazar said:

Funny thing is that people also compare gantz with attack on titan. I don't see the comparison either.

Probably because humanity is helpless against some sort of horrific being. Reading the manga, I did get AoT feels but never would I say it's a rip-off.
Sep 29, 2014 1:16 PM

Dec 2012
keragamming said:
Kwazar said:

gore, action, dark themes about humanity, survival.

That's why people compare these series.
tsudecimoSep 29, 2014 1:21 PM
Sep 29, 2014 1:18 PM

Jan 2013
I dont think its comparable to AoT because AoT has less black screens.
Sep 29, 2014 1:50 PM

Jul 2014
Red_Keys said:
Does anybody else think that Guilty Crown is a rip-off of Code Geass??

No it's quite the opposite.

OT: Yeah. because SnK was so original in the first place.
Sep 29, 2014 2:07 PM

Dec 2013
Okashi--chan said:
Red_Keys said:
Does anybody else think that Guilty Crown is a rip-off of Code Geass??

I don't know I might be noob in anime, but I wouldn't call SnK and Terra Formars setting unoriginal. They aren't something ground breaking, never seen before, but still they aren't that unoriginal. I mean wtf is with the amount of school anime.
Sep 29, 2014 2:20 PM

Jul 2014
robis798 said:
Okashi--chan said:

I don't know I might be noob in anime, but I wouldn't call SnK and Terra Formars setting unoriginal. They aren't something ground breaking, never seen before, but still they aren't that unoriginal. I mean wtf is with the amount of school anime.

well. they might have some originality. but not enough to say that *insert anime here* is a rip-off of them
Sep 29, 2014 4:03 PM

Mar 2014
This thread is golden and some of the responses are hilarious
Sep 30, 2014 9:44 PM
Jun 2014
lololol @ racism and rip off. Oh no theyre the color black lets cry. If they were white i bet people wouldnt say its racist. On the rip off aspect its under survival but settings are totally different. In SnK they dont know the rest of the world and titans are a mystery. In this the world is very advanced to make such missions and they are trying to cure a disease and make the planet habitable. Completely different goals only overlap is strong creatures that they need to survive and fight.
Dem anime hipsters tho 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Sep 30, 2014 9:51 PM
Jun 2014
The_Heat said:
I’m writing this as a person who hasn’t read the manga so its purely based on ep1, but after watching it the first thing that went through my mind was - "hmmm didn’t this happen somewhere else?"

With the similarities being:

The loss of a loved one that will probably lead to hate and anger against the enemy
MC with superpowers who just doesn’t die when he is killed (classic) and can beat the s**t out of anyone
A training sequence (that wasn’t shown but w/e) that made him the real military cold / badass hero
What it seemed a bunch of expandable characters that will die and I will be expected to grieve for them although they won’t make any effort in developing them
Crying….. … jk but it was over the top for my taste (didn’t feel invested in their relationships after 1 min of flashback)

To answer the OP’s question, all in all I can’t say it’s a rip-off but for me it felt like that after episode 1 .But this probably is just generic stuff for more action based amines that are not my main genre so my sample size is quite small and that way it seemed more similar than it should’ve.

And after reading all the comments here I’m convinced that it will take on its own course after a while what I expect to be a more action oriented and less epic route.

You are so right. The main character should be a weak wuss with no combat experience and should die in the first chapter. And before he dies we should have a bunch of detailed flashbacks in his past. Thats why shonens and seinins that have fighting main characters that are badass and awesome. Noone wants realistic deaths of main characters and having them weak and not train. Theyre meant to be op and awesome.
Dem anime hipsters tho 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Oct 1, 2014 10:20 PM
Oct 2013
^They are not OP. You're judging way too early.
Oct 2, 2014 8:37 PM

May 2014
gwang9787 said:
Is this anything like Blue Gender?

Way better than Blue Gender...at least up to where I am in the manga. Plot and character development are superior IMO.

I thought Blue Gender had potential, but TBH it fell flat after the protagonists made it to the space base.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Oct 3, 2014 10:05 AM

Oct 2008
Man, this thread has kept going for days. Obviously hit a sore spot with a lot of people.

Just want to say I bothered to watch most of the first ep (before dropping out of boredom) and that I will agree with all of you that it isn't very similar to SnK/AoT. So we can end this thread with me, the OP, agreeing that it's not.

What misled me to thinking so was that trailer put out by Warner Brothers where the music, themes, bunch of naked muscular-males swarming around a protected encampment, kind of strange glare to the environment-drawing style, what the guy is saying in japanese, and other things in that trailer were made in a way that made me inevitably draw comparisons to something that all of you who read the manga knew were not true.

It may have just been a desperate attempt by Warner Brothers to try and evoke the same emotions/themes and drew the inevitable comparison. And it didn't help that skimmed through the OVA and saw the black-haired girl who the main guy liked which had a childhood trauma the main guy saved her from or whatever (another SnK thing).

My apologies for anyone whose emotions got inflamed by those. This is the first time I've ever asked if an anime was a rip-off (and I've watched thousands of hours worth) because it was the first time I saw, misleadingly, many glaring similarities. Really if you just watch that trailer by Warner Brothers it just has that feeling they were going for the same SnK audience obviously, and that's a smart economic decision anyways since this is their first time doing a full 24-minute anime cour with Lidenfilms (mostly does 4 minute eps like Senyuu).

Anyways, but once you watch the actual episodes any similarities quickly disappear into a very boring haze. The manga people here had just already known ahead of time of how dissimilar it was, so that slanted how they would feel when viewing the trailer (if they did at all, many here probably didn't and just commented based on their manga knowledge).
Oct 3, 2014 11:27 AM
Jul 2012
reactionary said:
Is it just me? After watching the trailer, aside from the fact they threw in "space" and that it's a "different planet" it's really all the same but even that last bit only makes it closer to AoT since it'll still likely have the "mystery of the rest of the world/undiscovered world" thing that Attack on Titans' does.

Everything from the drawing style, tall, muscular, odd-humanoid beings trying to eat them, and main characters transforming in order to beat them, it all rings of a desperate attempt (by Warner Brothers) to try and cash in on what they see as a sure thing (not understanding that the soul of the anime is what makes it work and you can't just replicate that by throwing money at an animation studio and saying "make something like Attack on Titans!").
Wasn't Attack on Titans a rip off (claimed to be inspired by) of Muv Luv Alternative visual novel?
Oct 3, 2014 11:46 AM
May 2013
reactionary said:
Feaor said:

What's racist about it? Are the cockroaches symbolic of the third world or something? There are black people with them in the expedition so I don't quite see it as "racist" but maybe it could just be an analogy for third world overpopulation which isn't really a racist thing so much as a poverty thing.

Lonespacer said:
Seriously? Is anything that's even remotely edgy going to be compared to AoT, don't be so narrow-minded.

I'm not. The trailer seemed as if it was purposely trying to look like AoT. The drawing style is even purposefully similar.

RevolverSnake said:
I guess you didn't read the manga, kid.

rederoin said:
Actually try reading the manga before you assume such things.

Just because it has a manga doesn't mean it isn't an attempt to do something similar to somebody else's work. Ever heard of plagiarism? You guys DO KNOW THAT TERRA FORMARS came out 2 years AFTER Attack on Titan's manga which took the manga world by storm, right?!

And now that I did a simple google search with the two animes, it seems I'm not alone. It's being constantly compared to Attack on Titans, without itself inviting the comparison (which means IT IS SIMILAR). It's not hard to realize the guy who wrote the manga was DEFINITELY influenced by Attack on Titan at the LEAST, and at the most, was actively trying to come up with something similar.

Similarities
-------------
5. Enemy monsters (at least in the trailer) don't seem to speak (but I heard they do)
13. Both have a black haired female love-interest who had a traumatic childhood experience and were saved by the male partner.
14. They are actively using many AoT voice actors such as the ones who play Reiner Braun, Zoë Hanji, Farlan Church, and Marlo from AoT are also voice acting in Terra Formars.

Differences
-------------
1. Setting: It's in space and set on a different planet.
2. Shingeki only has 1 japanese (Mikasa) Terra Formars has a lot more.

And I am being honest here, I could probably think up a dozen more similarities if I worked at it.

lol this is what we call grasping for straws kids!
Oct 3, 2014 11:55 AM

Nov 2012
I'm going to try and address each of these without blowing my head off because of the stupidity:

Shit, enemies trying to eat main characters? Never heard of that before. Totally. Yep. AoT is so original for coming up with that. Monsters are ugly? Haha, what the fuck? Are you serious? When are monsters/enemies ever good looking? Hmm? Most of the things I've seen, the antagonists are ugly as fuck unless they are human.

It's called dramatic effect, honey.

Not even going to address this.

If you have a weapon that doesn't work against the enemy, it's common sense to try and come up with something new, right? Or is humanity supposed to be super stupid and not use their brains?

Just by looking at the cast, most of them are non-Japanese looking! 'Non-Japanese have Non-Japanese names'. HOLY SHIT, WHO WOULD OF THOUGHT? I thought every single character in anime has to have a Japanese name because logic! (Sarcasm)

When are enemies origins not shrouded in mystery? Huh?

Oh sweet Lord Sithis, are you serious? It looks more similar to Gantz than anything!

Oh my god. Stop. You're grasping for straws here. Seriously? Seriously?

That's like saying 'Oh, you have Hiroshi Kamiya as a VA? You're copying off of Levi!' Totally excluding Izaya, Gareki, and hundreds of other characters who had his voice before Levi. Zoe's VA is one of the more popular VA's so just do us a favor, and stop with this stupid shit. Nezumi from No.6 has the same VA as Reiner, does that make No.6 a rip-off of AoT? No. If anything, No.6 is executed better. Much better.

You didn't even watch it before claiming similarities?! WHAT THE HELL? You should delete this thread because this is solely showing your stupidity if you didn't watch it, yet claimed it was an AoT rip-off.
"Hey, assbutt!"—Castiel, Supernatural

"Do you ever have a problem where you just don't know how to reply to an argument-- not because you don't know the answer, but you just don't where to begin? Like, the foundation of knowledge you'd need to impart to this person before you could even begin to drag them out of their sinkhole of ignorance would cost thousands of dollars, if it were coming from a University?" -MAL in a nutshell.
Oct 3, 2014 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
Gantz has been mentioned already, but it feels like a spiritual copy of Gantz that manages to have even less plot. I've read the manga up through Chapter 50 before accepting that whatever story is there is really just an excuse to draw extremely gory deaths for characters (some you may like and some you know nothing about) and designed by someone who got an Entomology degree from college and never found a good use for it.

All of that might even be forgivable for an anime that has cool battle scenes, but this is just clearly blu-ray bait. It's like we're getting the shareware version and if we want to see it without being taken out of the experience via half-to-whole black screens, we need to shell out money for the discs.
Oct 3, 2014 7:02 PM

Oct 2008
Guys, guys, I already conceded. See my last post. I watched an episode and it removed any similarities the trailer had fooled into my mind. Wish there was a way I could close the thread.

My apologies for crossing the red line I didn't know existed from saying "similar" to "rip-off" is apparently a very tremendous difference within the MAL community... and I only read mangas of animes that are discontinued so there is no way I knew how wrong I was. I blame the Warner Brothers trailer for causing all this mayhem!

Apologies! Shazai-suru!
Oct 3, 2014 9:01 PM

Oct 2013
Jakerams said:
reactionary said:
Is it just me? After watching the trailer, aside from the fact they threw in "space" and that it's a "different planet" it's really all the same but even that last bit only makes it closer to AoT since it'll still likely have the "mystery of the rest of the world/undiscovered world" thing that Attack on Titans' does.

Everything from the drawing style, tall, muscular, odd-humanoid beings trying to eat them, and main characters transforming in order to beat them, it all rings of a desperate attempt (by Warner Brothers) to try and cash in on what they see as a sure thing (not understanding that the soul of the anime is what makes it work and you can't just replicate that by throwing money at an animation studio and saying "make something like Attack on Titans!").
Wasn't Attack on Titans a rip off (claimed to be inspired by) of Muv Luv Alternative visual novel?

That's true, snk did got inspiration from the muv luv series, but to be exact it was from the game and not the visual novel. Any ways. we can practically call every series a rip off of something, because most anime got inspiration from another. The same can be said for any entertainment medium.
Oct 3, 2014 9:37 PM

Dec 2012
Lies. Snk ripped off Formars.

RothOct 4, 2014 8:37 PM
Oct 4, 2014 6:05 AM

Sep 2010
Jakerams said:
reactionary said:

Ya pretty much as claimed and ignored a few times in this thread.
I find it really funny how all these people who rate Attack on Titan a 10 and call it a completely original anime don't realize it was a huge copy of Muv Luv Alternative.
Ya he claimed it was just inspired by(The world is a tad more than just inspired by)
Oct 4, 2014 2:14 PM

Mar 2014
rothrock said:
Lie. Snk ripped off Formars.

LOL
Oct 4, 2014 2:19 PM

Mar 2013
Hmm you could say that. Though the only similitude would be humans fighting to survive againts some kind of monsters.
Oh, and i felt like watching SnK at the opening in the second episode.
Oct 4, 2014 2:58 PM
Mar 2014
I'm still laughing every time I click on this thread. It's clear as bright day light, people hasn't seen enough to anime to make such bullshit claim that this show is similar to AoT. AoT = Baby gore. Shonen's gore isn't shit compare to Seinen. Go read Gantz and respond back, lets see which is familiar.
Oct 4, 2014 6:54 PM

Oct 2013
KronokInF said:
I'm still laughing every time I click on this thread. It's clear as bright day light, people hasn't seen enough to anime to make such bullshit claim that this show is similar to AoT. AoT = Baby gore. Shonen's gore isn't shit compare to Seinen. Go read Gantz and respond back, lets see which is familiar.

LMAO! The op wasn't even talking about the gore being similar to attack on titan, so you completely miss the point. read op post carefully before posting bullshit.

You also sound like those people that think that a lot of gore = to a great series or mature series.
keragammingOct 4, 2014 7:00 PM
Oct 5, 2014 1:55 PM
Mar 2012
Sigh, now that AoT every anime that shares a bit of similarity is a rip off. I hate your kind, op.
Oct 6, 2014 8:32 AM

Mar 2010
I would say the concept and build up of the series is similar to AoT, but it is similar to it in a good way. I do think that animators have used AoT as some kind of reference but in my mind this isnt annoying at all.

So instead of "this series is bad and that series is good" is more like "this series is good and that series is good also", at least so far. Like yay we have 2 promising series.. O: Why is everyone so negative?

So far quite nice. And i dont mind censorship so .. whatever. I deeply hate cockroaches though. Just wondering how i will survive that.
LylaazOct 6, 2014 8:37 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2014

194 by JVskunkape »»
May 16, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2014

250 by JVskunkape »»
May 14, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2014

348 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 30, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2014

125 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 29, 10:41 PM

Poll: » Terra Formars Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2014

73 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 29, 10:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.