Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Little Monster
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 21, 2014 12:42 AM

Sep 2014
So after watching this series i have come to the conclusion that Haru is a psycopath. what is a psycopath? well the definition is as follows: a person afflicted with a personality disorder characterized by a tendency to commit antisocial and sometimes violent acts and a failure to feel guilt for such acts. also extreme egocentricity and failure to learn from experience. Through the course of the 12 episodes we see all of these behaviors manifest in Haru, not all at once but in sequence. we also see that he was like this from a young age and its not just a phase.

This is supposed to be a romance show so you would think that a character like this would put one off but on the contrary it made me more interested in the show. The fact that Haru is a psycopath doesnt mean he cant find love, it does however mean that he will have a hard time with it. and I think the series showed this, showed the different problems that a person like this would go through when establishing a relationship with someone. His relationship with shizuku is bumpy and uneasy but the effort is there. I dont think the relationship between haru and shisuku wouldnt work on account of his behavior but it wouldnt be easy.

The fact is Haru would need help. Also it seems that not many in the show seem to realize the kinds of problems haru has. Shizuku doesn't seem to realize it and she's the one who should most. Yamaken seems to realize it especially since he was almost thrown off a 3rd floor but not completely. the only person who seemed to realize that Haru was a psycopath and tried to help him accordingly was his aunt, and she died leaving Haru alone and with no one who realized his problem.
Oct 21, 2014 5:49 PM

Sep 2013
I think that he is more like socially awkward than a psychopath. Remember, he spent 3 years as a home-schooled student and never really made any friends so he wants friends but doesn't know how to act around them. I honestly really like him though.
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Sep 15, 2020 7:42 AM
May 2020
Maybe a bit Psychopathic especially in the end of ep. 9
Nov 18, 2020 8:44 AM
Sep 2016
Finally got around to watching this one. Haru is more of sociopath than a psychopath, but still a sociopath none the less. His actions go above socially awkward into borderline attempted murder. He also gives of super manipulative vibes to me. He should absolutely be in a psyche ward or prison. An anti-social sob story childhood doesn't excuse the reality of that situation.

I have to believe Shizuku is also slightly unhinged as no reasonable person would tolerate Haru's physical abuse, emotional manipulation, and overall hyper-aggressive personality and actions.

But this is just an anime so it doesn't matter anyways.
Nov 26, 2020 7:55 PM

Apr 2015
He basically almost tried to kill Yamaken for a stupid reason, so yeah, he has a creepy side that kinda don't fit the show honestly.
Dec 26, 2020 7:18 AM

Aug 2014
The name of the anime is My Little Monster, so there you have it.
May 8, 2021 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
I found his behaviour rather interesting, not good... but I've lived with a Brother who has similar issues.

I decided to look around and this here kind-of sums up what I was thinking in a nice way.

http://luckycatreviews.blogspot.com/2015/12/character-review-of-haru-yoshida-from.html
Jun 16, 2021 3:57 AM
Aug 2020
i fucking hate him everything he does is basically a red flag
Jul 1, 2021 7:54 AM
Jan 2021
Finally found someone who noticed the same thing as me. It seems like many viewers did not notice the red flags that the MC showed throughout the show. It's all creepy and alarming, but just like what someone said, it's just an anime so nvm. I just hope that those who watched this didn't think of those things as 'cute' and 'romantic'.
Mar 5, 2023 5:13 AM

May 2022
removed-user said:
I found his behaviour rather interesting, not good... but I've lived with a Brother who has similar issues.

I decided to look around and this here kind-of sums up what I was thinking in a nice way.

http://luckycatreviews.blogspot.com/2015/12/character-review-of-haru-yoshida-from.html
This is an outstanding review. I'm glad it is still up on the web. Worth a read if you want to think more about the characters. 

Haru's violence is the biggest turn-off about this anime, and the reason I never picked up the manga. He is easily identifiable as autism spectrum or neurodivergent, probably Asperger's Syndrome. 

But nobody talks about the other character "on the spectrum" in this show. Shizuku is arguably pulled from the same edition of the DSM. Back when this manga was written, Asperger's Disorder was in the psychologist's guidebook, although later editions replaced it with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Shizuku does not have the violent behavior of Haru, but she is arguably antisocial in her own way.  When I first watched this, I was reminded of the term "autistic savant". A variation of the antiquated term "idiot savant" used to describe someone with a significant deficit but with other intellectual or memory strengths. The old movie Rain Man is an example of this. So I might suggest this is an example of two autistic savants finding love...

But ultimately, I find it impossible to excuse Haru's violence, and I am left frustrated by Shizuku's inability to reject this violent young man. And the happy clappy soundtrack of Tomatsu Haruka seems out of place. Maybe there needs to be a second season focused on Haru getting psychotherapy and anger management classes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is there going to be a season 2? ( 1 2 )

SalemWitch - Apr 2, 2013

64 by Note_Rikka »»
May 1, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2012

478 by Prevesis »»
Apr 18, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2012

463 by LANNYPOOPOODONG »»
Oct 20, 2023 7:06 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2012

165 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 7:42 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2012

165 by ccrr »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.