Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 18, 2014 1:07 PM

Apr 2013
Not really understanding the hate... I also didn't like the rushed ending but this anime still had some great emotional moments.

I haven't read the manga, but I want to now. And if an anime let's me want to read the manga I consider it a good anime :)
8/10

Jan 2013
Well... didn't read the manga, but i will, and... how can this feel rushed?
They spent a whole episode on torture, how can this be rushed?

I liked it, and if i liked, then probably i'm going to like the manga more.
It's was a good ending.

Apr 2014
well i like how they adapted this ep

sadly they skipped too much during the whole anime, removed some parts (censor, etc) were some of the reason i didnt like this adaptation after reading the manga (i was around ep 6-7 when i started reading the manga)
Sep 18, 2014 1:08 PM

Nov 2012
Interesting, it only took him pretty much a whole season to grow some balls. Well, I guess it was worth to wait, he was quite awesome at the end.
Rize was awesome, however not sure whether was actually Rize or actually Kaneki's thoughts......
WTF is that it, what happened to the others, what was going on outside?????
Sep 18, 2014 1:08 PM

Apr 2010
They skipped alot...hmmm. But I cried, it really had me on edge. There's probably going to be a 2nd season for sure.

-sigh- the censorship was annoying though. But Shirokane tho <3
Sep 18, 2014 1:10 PM

Mar 2013
I don't really understand why some manga readers are disliking TG... every episode sucks you in, grips you tight and doesn't let go until right at the end. Personally I liked where it ended because a season 2 seems more likely now.

Anyway. Yes, anyone can tell Tokyo Ghoul is quite rushed, but it's nonetheless still a good adaptation. Rushed doesn't necessarily equate to it being bad. Just look at NGNL.

inb4 getting crap about using NGNL as an example

Jun 2009
I honestly thought this episode was kind of sort of fantastic.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Aug 2010
Seems like the first 2 pages were just trolls and now the people who truly saw the ep are commenting XD

Because I really don't get how u can hate this ep as a standalone. The entire series maybe but this ep was masterfully done.
Sep 18, 2014 1:11 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Even if not shown in full, them torture scenes were so cringeworthy! >.< That centipede part and the choice to save either one from those 2.. Such suffering..

Beautiful Rize appears again! I love how she continued to taunt Kaneki in a comforting manner.
Kaneki's recollections of his close ones were mostly sad, especially how his mom died from overworking herself..

The way those white flowers were turning red each time Rize's point were being cleared was awesome!
Finally when her words got to him and he resolution grew firm with all the flowers turning red was a superb scene!

Ah, the long awaited epic Kaneki owning Yamori scene has come. The fight wasn't as awesome as it was in the manga, but still enjoyable. Good payback!

Good episode to end the series. Tbh, a bit disappointed knowing a lot was skipped in the show and the arc wasn't even fully covered. Hoping for a remake someday?

Sep 18, 2014 1:12 PM
Jun 2012
I haven't read the manga so I don't know how bad of an adaption it was but I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed this anime. Sure the ending isn't really an ending but that's to be expected of an anime adaptation of a manga that's still going, even if it's finished at this point. I'll definitely read the manga though.
Sep 18, 2014 1:12 PM

Jul 2014
SalemWitch said:
inb4 getting crap about using NGNL as an example

NGNL was perfect.
OT: they trolled us hard, let just stop in the middle of the arc. lmao.
although the episode was kinda good, the whole anime was shit.
and no i'm not a manga reader.
Sep 18, 2014 1:13 PM

Apr 2014
I'm getting the same vibe while I was reading the torture arc in the manga.
Great Episode and Great ending IMO Glad they ended it like that before they ruin everything with pure rushing.

My jaw dropped from this episode I'm at a loss for words.
20/10 this episode.
The fights were awesome but limited.

Sep 18, 2014 1:13 PM

Jun 2009
Barion-Zara said:
Seems like the first 2 pages were just trolls and now the people who truly saw the ep are commenting XD

Because I really don't get how u can hate this ep as a standalone. The entire series maybe but this ep was masterfully done.

If only every episode could have been like this....well, I'm glad they did a pretty great job of the most important moment from what I've read in the manga.

Edit: Hanae was excellent as Kaneki this episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 18, 2014 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
It was good to hear about Kaneki's back-story and his mom.

The white-haired Kaneki was so bad ass.

Well, I hope there is a second season.
Sep 18, 2014 1:16 PM
May 2014
I think they should have based the anime around this episode alone, then it might have made sense. I enjoyed watching it but this one was especially good compared to most previous episodes..
Sep 18, 2014 1:16 PM

Mar 2013
I had a hard time deciding what to rate this anime, because the first few eps were a 7/10, the middle was a 5/10, but this episode was 10/10. I went with 6/10, which is higher than what I rated the manga... so it sounds about right lmao.

The episode was so much better done than its manga counterpart. The way they animated this, the symbolism they chose, the quick contrasts of black and white - it was amazing and utilised the potential the manga initially had and then wasted. Glad the anime's over, but sad we didn't get to see more of this level of quality.
Sep 18, 2014 1:18 PM

Jul 2013
straggy said:
I had a hard time deciding what to rate this anime, because the first few eps were a 7/10, the middle was a 5/10, but this episode was 10/10. I went with 6/10, which is higher than what I rated the manga... so it sounds about right lmao.

The episode was so much better done than its manga counterpart. The way they animated this, the symbolism they chose, the quick contrasts of black and white - it was amazing and utilised the potential the manga initially had and then wasted. Glad the anime's over, but sad we didn't get to see more of this level of quality.

well, if all episodes could be animated with this quality, that would be nice...
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com

Aug 2008
the rize+kaneki
was in the manga as well but not so much, few scenes and that it, didn't cared about the torture but heck they rushed it, cut/add scenes, fillers +censore all in 12 eps

4.5/10 to the all series....
The spider is watching

Apr 2014
Overall, this show was quite dissapointing.
Sep 18, 2014 1:20 PM

Aug 2010
I guess this director is the guy who made the TG anime XD Because it was only the first ep and this ep that were mindblowing <3
Sep 18, 2014 1:21 PM

May 2014
Best fucking ep ever... guess I have to catch up with the manga :(
Sep 18, 2014 1:22 PM

Dec 2010
Barion-Zara said:
I guess this director is the guy who made the TG anime XD Because it was only the first ep and this ep that were mindblowing <3
Same that's how I feel. The first episode was amazing, and then the quality of the story just plummeted afterwards. If everything in between episodes 1 and this last one were of similar quality, I really honestly would have given this anime at least a 9/10.

As it is now...it was enjoyable, but lacking in substance in between.

STILL. Fantastic episode to end on. There better be a second season though.
Sep 18, 2014 1:23 PM
Feb 2014
Damn... when I watched the first episode, I immediately felt this series was gonna be an epic success...

And it ended like that...

Crap

Well, then, moving on to actually discussig this episode. Tbh, this was one of the better episodes. Nice development of Kaneki. Kinda understand the inner struggles he's been dealing with, and get a fel for who Kaneki really is. If only Studio Perriot had paced the rest of the series like this. Seriously, if Perriot had made every episode as well as this one, I seriously think this anime would've been one of the best this summer... unfortunately, they wanted a 12 episode run instead of a 24 episode one... and thus, this anime suffered greatly. T.T

Some personal thoughts here...
Being a former anime only watcher of Tokyo Ghoul, I could tell that it was rushed an development of characters was lacking. Mid season through, I was rather convinced that the manga had a far superior story than the anime.

Having just finished the whole manga in 2 days, I'm startig to think differently. The anime adaptation changed quite a lot of the manga's content, but I honestly think that some of the changes were actually pretty good. One of the best changes for me was how they involved Jason and Mado and Amon so early in the series so that by the time they're introduced, it feels kinda natural... How they managed to relate all their stories. In my opinion, the story did improve by putting the gourmet arc before the Dove arc, and it feels more natural in that order. In fact, to be honest, I felt the Dove Arc in the anime was one of the best arcs in the series, and was... better than the manga despite cutting out some important content-_-... yeah...

However, ultimately, the show ended up worse than the manga bcos of execution. Gourmet Arc was handled poorly. And Aogiri Tree Arc was... disastrous... it was great to watch the action scenes and all, esp in episode 11, but they really really rushed a lot of things... it got rather confusing...

And even if I believe episode 12 was one of the best individual episodes deserving of a 4.5/5, that was a horrible ending to the anime... seriously, why the hell would u end on that note??? There's just no bloody conclusion... it kinda feels like episode 11 didnt happen.. if this was the second last episode, then holy crap, it would be amazing and the last epi would be the most epic conclusion... but this as a conclusion is just... awful...

I'm having a hard time rating this show... on one hand, it had really awesome episodes like epi 1, parts of the Dove Arc, Epi 11 and 12. On theotherhand, the overall story really suffered and some episodes were unforgivable, (Gourmet arc, the one with Kaneki being tricked into going to the restaurant)... I'm giving it a 6 despite the overall average feel, cos some of those episodes really were too fantastic to ignore. Xp
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Sep 18, 2014 1:33 PM
Feb 2013
So, this is where it ends, in a cliffhanger, shit.

Apr 2014
Episodes you only need to watch.
Episode 1
Episode 6
episode 8
Episode 12
If you'll excuse me while I searched for the HD version of this Episode.

Jun 2014
Still looking for the plot. Plot? Plot? Where are you?
O look finally a little more action. Oh now its over.
In any other case, I wouldve loved the ending, but they didnt wrap anything up. Then again, the whole series was disconnected anyway.

Bleh. Deserves a 5-6, but only giving 7/10 for the artwork and ost.
Sep 18, 2014 1:34 PM

Jan 2014
So they decided to rush through an arc but they decided not to finish it . . .
Wow i've never been so pissed at an ending ¬_¬
Sep 18, 2014 1:36 PM

Oct 2013
I dont understand the hate,its true that its inferior,but its not that bad as you make it to be.

The best parts of TG come after the Aogiri arc,and in the Aogiri arc,personally i feel even though they skipped a lot,this episode was amazing,they spent it all on Kaneki and his change.

Rushed but it still had me at the edge of my seat.
Sep 18, 2014 1:38 PM

Apr 2008
FrozenRemains said:
I dont understand the hate,its true that its inferior,but its not that bad as you make it to be.

The best parts of TG come after the Aogiri arc,and in the Aogiri arc,personally i feel even though they skipped a lot,this episode was amazing,they spent it all on Kaneki and his change.

Rushed but it still had me at the edge of my seat.

The hate comes from the fact that they wasted time on irrelevant things and then they had to leave this arc halfassed and unfinished.
Sep 18, 2014 1:39 PM

Aug 2010
^ Well that should have been already known since a few weeks ago. Why u hate now -.-
Sep 18, 2014 1:39 PM

Mar 2012
Eh. Mediocre finale, but cool show overall. I've been convinced to read the manga.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 18, 2014 1:40 PM

Jul 2014
Badass final episode.

I actually really liked this anime. I haven't read the manga (planning to though) so I didn't have the same issues with the story and the pacing that some people did. I liked the story, the art, and the music (the OP is so good).

All in all 8/10... season 2 when?
Sep 18, 2014 1:41 PM

Apr 2014
Despite the bad cliffhanger, this episode was the best out of the 12. We get to see more torture and back story of kaneki. And that last 5 min was probably the best fight scene of the season. I can't help but think there will be an announcement of season 2 in October.
4/5
Sep 18, 2014 1:43 PM

Oct 2013
Rueby said:
They skipped alot...hmmm. But I cried, it really had me on edge. There's probably going to be a 2nd season for sure.

-sigh- the censorship was annoying though. But Shirokane tho <3

No there wont be a 2nd season
They rushed the f..k out of this anime
totally f..d up everything
and whats up with the rating?
8.1 seriously?

And for all the people who're gonna start reading the manga
START FROM THE BEGINING!!
Sep 18, 2014 1:43 PM

Feb 2011
4/10

Dissapointment, absolutely TERRIBLE adaption. Read the manga people, you're missing out.
HatsuyukiSep 18, 2014 1:49 PM
Sep 18, 2014 1:45 PM

Jan 2013
So, does anyone know where it leaves off in the manga?
'If people refuse to accept you, then I'll just accept you even more.'
Sep 18, 2014 1:46 PM

Oct 2013
ImprovedSupa said:

read from start
Sep 18, 2014 1:46 PM

Oct 2008
Was pretty happy when white haired Kaneki finally appeared and fought Yamori... but... the part where they decided to end it...

I really thought that the perfect ending scene would be where:

but guess the pacing and the amount of episodes just didn't work out that way...
Sep 18, 2014 1:48 PM
Sep 2012
Quite pissed. I love the manga and to be honest I didn't know what I expected other than a cliffhanger, I thought since they rushed through everything in this episode I would atleast get to see more than one good fight with kaneki ( everyone deserves to see the Kaneki vs toukas brother fight) but nope, just a cliffhanger.

This has been a disappointment and I honestly don't understand how someone can come up with the idea of putting 60+ chapters of content in a 12 episode anime and think in their mind "that's ok".

While people have been saying that this anime was release to improve manga sales (which is fine), this anime was literally released to improve manga sales and nothing more.

Studio Perriot(or however you spell it) never again.
Gimme a remake with madhouse in a couple of years, atleast they have shown they have consistency with animation with HxH.

TL;DR?
3/5
Go read the damn manga (from the beginning, the anime skips a loo...ooooot), before the anime completely ruins it for you.
Sep 18, 2014 1:48 PM

Mar 2012
Mahone7 said:
ImprovedSupa said:
read from start
That didn't answer his question, lol.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 18, 2014 1:49 PM

Jul 2014
Finally....FINALLY Kaneki decides to do something for himself and now he's become one of my favorite main characters.

Sep 18, 2014 1:50 PM

Apr 2014
ImprovedSupa said:

Chapter 66
Sep 18, 2014 1:50 PM

Sep 2011
For a manga reader such as me, I really liked this adaptation and, for me, it ended pretty well. Very enjoyable
Veldin461Sep 18, 2014 6:04 PM
Sep 18, 2014 1:52 PM

Nov 2012
5/5!
i actually enjoyed the episode!
its seems natural and perfect pacing.
if only the entire series is like this episode (and episode 1)
kaneki psycho smile + removing centipede-chan from his ear <3 thats more than enough

too bad i cant see ayato's "half death" but whatever,

overall series 4/10
+opening/ending
+a lot of action
+episode 1
+episode 12
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 18, 2014 1:52 PM

Jun 2013
Thought I would see more like the other fights or something. Butit looks like they are begging for a season 2.

Sep 18, 2014 1:55 PM

Oct 2007
This show went from being something I was just kind of watching but expected dick all from to surprisingly decent to ending on a note that pretty much returned it to what I expected to see out of the show in the first place. This show covers all ranges of the anime watching experience spectrum.

I had no intention of reading the manga anyway, but considering much of MAL seems to think it would be a good idea to read the manga and it's so much better that makes me even less interested. If there's one thing I've learned it's never to listen to the majority opinion on MAL, it's almost always in direct opposition to what I would consider a good idea or reflection.

Dojourei said:
Finally....FINALLY Kaneki decides to do something for himself and now he's become one of my favorite main characters.

And guess what now the shows over. How's that working out for you lol. It's funny because I totally knew people were going to have that reaction. OMG so badass, he sure shows that Jason guy for that minute and a half before the show ends, what a character.

Actually to be honest I enjoyed the characters struggle between his human and dark sides, but the way they ended that struggle on that note though was just so cheesy and so something MAL would think is cool that I couldn't help but laugh. I was like I can't wait to visit the thread just to see what people think of this. I mean he even has silver bishonen hair and is going to eat the guy and is all like "SAY THE NUMBER BITCH!". Truly the main character and savior MAL deserves.
PeacingOutSep 18, 2014 2:02 PM
Sep 18, 2014 1:56 PM

Dec 2013
So if this episode didn't happen, i probably would of given this episode a 6/10, but they went back and showed his white hair transformation in a "GOOD" cliffhanger. Cliffhangers are suppose to piss you off so you want to watch a second season.

So i'll tick it up to a 7/10, there was too much rushing and not enough development of side characters. Then of course the censors up the butt. I'd watch a second season generally because these ghouls are pretty close to vampires and i love vampires.
Sep 18, 2014 1:56 PM

Jun 2013
I kind of enjoyed the ending to be honest (haven't read the manga yet). But maybe cause I'm a sucker for fight scenes:)
Sep 18, 2014 1:58 PM

Nov 2013
Scrolling through this thread and I see nothing but nerds complaining lol.
10/10
HunterXJaredSep 18, 2014 2:02 PM

Sep 18, 2014 1:59 PM

Sep 2013
LOL. IMHO, of all the episodes, the last episode was my favorite. Albeit it was rushed and they added a few scenes of their own, at least we got to see Kaneki in BA mode. Many here may think that the talk with Rize was a waste of time but that was necessary. That was a very crucial scene and they adapted it pretty well. Sadistic HanaKana was.. Words can't express how awesome that was! <3

Torture scene was good (could've been much better, you know what I mean manga readers). BA Kaneki was good, nice voice acting there. But, I don't know why but I expected the anime to end after Touka vs Ayato then Kaneki vs Ayato where Kaneki half kills Ayato.That was the scene where Kaneki officially became my all time favorite protagonist
So my final review: ANIME - 7/10. 7 for the animation, the OP and the awesome VA. MANGA - 11/10. I am so fucking pissed off right now that I am going to read the manga from the beginning for the 5th time.

I recommend all those who never read the manga and started watching the anime first, go ahead and read the manga from the beginning. You guys have no idea what you missed. Trust me, you guys will share the frustration of us manga readers.
SasaKanekiPedeSep 18, 2014 2:12 PM
Pages (17) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

320 by Vindicater »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

520 by Vindicater »»
May 4, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

860 by Vindicater »»
May 2, 5:29 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.