Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 19, 2014 12:16 AM
Oct 2013
rodac said:
I'll try a brief explanation for those who are having trouble following this series, but I suspect many people won't listen to it. Both Kakeru and Touko have the ability to hear or see fragments of the future (as they put it--although this episode also suggests it may be fragments of alternate realities in the present or near past). I'm not going to give a full explanation of the multiple universe theory, but just suffice it to say that if you believe you can see visions of the future, and that in acting on those visions you can change the future, then you probably also have to accept that there are an infinite number of alternate realities which spring from the decisions made by individuals or random events. The ability to see glimpses or longer sequences from these other/potential realities may help you to avoid unpleasantness in your life, but it also may mislead you into thinking something may happen that won't.

Touko has just had an extended vision of two overlapping alternate realities in which she was the late-comer to the group of six. In one of the alternates the two other couples were already forming (Sachi & Hiro, Yanagi & Yuki)--that's the one in which the two couples didn't meet up and watched the fireworks on their own. In the other alternate the four of them met up and watched the fireworks together. As to how she slipped into those realities, remember that she was focusing on the glass vase--a process known as scrying which is a traditional way of divining the future, astral travelling, or placing oneself in an altered reality. The other factor may well have been the music of Kakeru's mother--music also being a traditional way of placing oneself in an altered reality (hence all the talk of people being "transported by the music" when talking about a particularly enthralling performance).

At some point Touko and Kakeru have to come to terms with their abilities and learn to live with them, but that's not the important part here. The key is that through all the realities that we've seen, she and Kakeru find each other, regardless of what happens with the other couples. If you want a clearer statement of this: "They are bound by the red string of fate through all eternity and are destined to be together." The last still of them listening to the music shows clearly that Kakeru and Touko are holding hands under the table even while she goes into her visions.

Thanks for this Rodac, I'm actually searching for an explanation and I'm really glad I got it even though in this pile up BS-hating-comment episode discussion..
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Sep 19, 2014 12:44 AM

Dec 2012
That actually would have been a nice way to start to the show and then just continue as a coherent SOL.

With only 1 episode left, I'm not sure what to expect anymore. I'm still not sure what the future fragments are exactly or what their purpose is as of now. Maybe it will all click together at the end. Maybe it will just be nonsensical writing. Maybe there will be too many stills to count next time. Crossing my fingers, please blow my mind Glasslip.

I'll also say that I don't see this episode as a waste of time, but the next one will play a crucial role in how I feel about the big picture.
ZekkenshinSep 19, 2014 12:53 AM
Sep 19, 2014 1:05 AM

Oct 2013
such WAT
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Sep 19, 2014 1:19 AM

Sep 2013
y123y said:
I think its very obvious how the final episode will go:

Yuki, Yanagi, Sachi, Hiro, Touko, and Kakeru will meet up at the cafe restaurant. They will all finally have a conversation together and then Kakeru will be welcomed into their group and Kakeru will no longer be lonely.

Then Yuki will tell everyone that he and Yanagi are a couple, then Sachi will tell everyone that she and Hiro are a couple, and then Touko will tell everyone that she and Kakeru are a couple.

Then the couples leave the restaurant together. Yuki and Yanagi kiss, Sachi and Hiro kiss, and Touko and Kakeru kiss.

Then later during the episode, to close out the anime, they are all wearing yukatas and are going to the festival to enjoy the firworks together.

And then that would be all.
You seem to confuse this with an anime that makes sense. :P
Sep 19, 2014 1:19 AM
Jul 2013
Seiyius said:
Sorry but looking at all the 'negativity' there is I'm going to give a strong comment here. But kudos to all those who wrote essays on explaining the episode.

People's reactions to this episode have reminded me thoroughly of Hayao Miyazaki's comment.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131872-Hayao-Miyazaki-Anime-Suffers-Because-the-Industry-is-Full-of-Otaku

The negative reactions to this episode could be because so many anime viewers have watched too much of those anime made by otakus. Which have close to no "observation" of the real world, but exciting and amusing anyway. It appears to me that you all will be turned on by an anime which develops quick, shows nice relationships, and basically Is "Awesome".

He's referring to animation, not story content - basically, the form of human gesture and expression, and how it's depicted (or ignored) in a lot of anime.

Glasslip is a product of what he's complaining about. Lots of fast shots, movement that's unrealistic and exaggerated for appeal (basically, the animator's fantasy as opposed to a realistic reflection of humanity), etc. It's the norm for moe anime, and P.A. Works animators are of the same otaku generation that Miyazaki criticizes.
Sep 19, 2014 1:56 AM

Jan 2014
Just when I asked myself: "What the heck is this?" And she's like:

And then it kinda got to me. No, seriously, I loved this episode! ^^
Sep 19, 2014 2:33 AM

Aug 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
That actually would have been a nice way to start to the show and then just continue as a coherent SOL.

I just re-watched this and you're right. Also, this episode feels different from the other 11 episodes. I'm not sure if it's the writing (different writer?) or if it's the direction (someone else at the helm?) but this was the first time I thought everything flowed coherently.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 19, 2014 4:29 AM

Apr 2010
This episode.... what the heck happened?

¯_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 19, 2014 5:11 AM
Jan 2013
I thought this was the final episode all along until I saw the preview after the ED and I didn't even questioned it, lol.
Sep 19, 2014 5:24 AM

Jun 2014
MAL needs a new option in poll ""WTF DID I JUST WATCH" it"
Sep 19, 2014 5:48 AM

May 2013
So this episode is all because of that glass vase showing 'fragments' or whatever? This time, Touko was the new girl in the neighborhood. Seriously, what the hell? What another weird episode. I'll say it again, I can't follow this any longer.
Sep 19, 2014 6:48 AM

Jan 2012
I expected a lot of things to be explained this episode, but like many here, I was thoroughly disappointed. When I started to dig for a deeper meaning behind the episode, then things didn't seem quite so bad..

cometta222 said:
that was deep. the vision is like an interpretation of kakeru's sudden, unexpected loneliness, and touko is being put in his shoes. i get goosebumps from watching. 5/5. next week >_<

I feel like this is getting overlooked way too much. It actually provides a really good explanation to things that are going on within this episode. It might've not been amazing but it passes I suppose. It gives a bit of insight as to what the "fragments" actually are and I kinda had my ideas about them myself. Not exactly the future but to me they seem like a sort of "what if" scenario.

I'm still disappointed with this week's episode but at least it's not horrible.
Sep 19, 2014 7:10 AM

Mar 2013
ThreePointer said:
I'm just here watching this anime and saying

same here
Sep 19, 2014 7:13 AM
Aug 2014
though it seems everyone hated this episode, but i think it's kinda good. At least better than Free Eternal Summer < really hate > . I quite enjoyed this episode and especially the music. Though it's like an alternate storyline but it's kinda interesting Hope the finale will be better.
Sep 19, 2014 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder if they are going the expand the idea of this episode or if they will just drop it. I would not by surprised by the latter,considering how terrible this is.
Sep 19, 2014 7:24 AM

Dec 2012
Truly the Evangelion of Slice of Life.
Sep 19, 2014 7:26 AM

Sep 2008
tl;dr Touko f*cks it all up. The moment she pops up, Sachi gets sick and Yuki gets injured. This episode was their way of saying she sucks big time. The world would be better off without her.

If this episode was ep1 and they proceeded through that world, this show probably would have been a lot better.

How can you call this artful? Those fragments are there literally so that they have a reason to get together. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no way I am gonna accept that. It's about as deep as a regular harem plot. It happens "just 'cause".

Also: http://myanimelist.net/manga/78169/Hinas_Lip AT least they know who is the one interesting character in the show.
Sep 19, 2014 9:45 AM

Feb 2010
Gender inequality :/

They were really rude when Kakerunrun joined them lol
And that transition on the lighthouse is so retarded.
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Sep 19, 2014 9:59 AM

Sep 2011
Tamaya!
Reminded me of that episode of Tamako Market hahah
Sep 19, 2014 10:11 AM

Apr 2013
Horrible episode.

But... I actually liked Kakeru in this episode. He was 1000 times better than in the "reality", although it was more than strange that he left Touko during the firework.

Well, this anime doesn't make sense at all. :x
Sep 19, 2014 10:34 AM

Mar 2014
Just checking if the anime is still bad after I dropped it on episode 10.
I think the anime could be really improved if there was a plot twist at the end.
Sep 19, 2014 11:48 AM
Nov 2013
I feel like Glasslip should've started like this, besides the "they can't see me shit". On, PA Works, how you've disappointed me.
Sep 19, 2014 12:43 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Thespacepope said:

How can you call this artful? Those fragments are there literally so that they have a reason to get together. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no way I am gonna accept that. It's about as deep as a regular harem plot. It happens "just 'cause".

Yeah at this point, I can't really appreciate anything they're trying to do with this show. I understood the whole alternate reality/imaginary world-future thing = fragments that they tried to show/explain in this episode, but that still doesn't make this anime really good. The idea itself is interesting and I like it, but the execution of the idea didn't come together very well in the anime imo. It could also be because the characters aren't fleshed out and it's hard to feel connected to them that makes it even more underwhelming. At least they did end up explaining what the fragments are. Still, this was the most interesting episode so far, and hopefully the next will be good as well...
Sep 19, 2014 12:47 PM

Mar 2014
dunsparcedude said:

LOL
Sep 19, 2014 12:59 PM

Sep 2013
I was a little confused at the beggining and thought maybe this is the beggining of how they all became friends, and then everything switched and then peopledidn't notice Touka was more confusing

Though I did finally get it after that and we made it to the end and i guess she saw a fragment of another world?

I did like David a whole lot better in the fragment imagination world a whole lot better then the real world

Sep 19, 2014 1:47 PM

Nov 2008
ThreePointer said:
I'm just here watching this anime and saying

Haha perfect gif. :p

I have another perfect gif for my personal feels:

Do whatever you want, show. >_> I'm done. I was done a while ago. But dropping an anime at 12/13 episodes would be inane.

>inb4: Mari Okada haters switching sides and asking for her to come back.

I REALLY LIKE HER MOST OF THE TIME. SHE COULD HAVE MADE THIS ONE WAY BETTER THAN IT IS.

XD
I think you're giving it too much credit. People are STILL talking about EVA....but nobody is going to remember this glass thing in 20 years!
ChiibiSep 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Sep 19, 2014 2:51 PM

Jan 2011
Well, at least everybody is talking about it *now*. Not many anime generate that much..well, interest?

Given that she kidnda reversed roles with Kakeru, shouldn't she realize it's not *the* future she is seeing, but at most *one possible* future?

Also, this anime could basically be done without all that future fragment stuff. And it's not about glass, besides glass being (most times) the trigger for the future fragment stuff. So they could basically remove two of the things that are supposed to make up this anime without actually removing something..

Unless they plan to insert both things heavily into the last episode in a different way than before.
Sep 19, 2014 2:52 PM

Sep 2013
silverwalls said:
well, this was absolutely pointless.
how are they even going to wrap it all up in the last episode? nothing has been resolved so far.

Nothing? Except:
The relation "ships" are set to sail!
The "ESP" problem is resolved.
ALL 6 main characters have grown before our eyes.

Aside from that... wait, what?

What do people want in a 13 episode romance? Shakespeare?

It's beautiful, low-stress fun! With mystery, relationships and chickens. It rewards those who pay attention, and that's refreshing!!
Sep 19, 2014 2:55 PM

Nov 2008
NwAurion said:
Well, at least everybody is talking about it *now*. Not many anime generate that much..well, interest?

...................are you kidding?

Something that makes me care. Look, romance is my favorite theme
..........but I just don't care this time.
That's.........rather significant...for a rabid shipper such as myself. lol
actually Shakespeare's romance isn't a very sound example.
ChiibiSep 19, 2014 2:59 PM

Sep 19, 2014 2:59 PM

Jan 2014
5Cats said:
silverwalls said:
well, this was absolutely pointless.
how are they even going to wrap it all up in the last episode? nothing has been resolved so far.

Nothing? Except:
The relation "ships" are set to sail!
The "ESP" problem is resolved.
ALL 6 main characters have grown before our eyes.

Aside from that... wait, what?

It's beautiful, low-stress fun! With mystery, relationships and chickens. It rewards those who pay attention, and that's refreshing!!
Yes,exacly...They were doing mindless low stress fun until ep 12...Then they tried some weird stuff...If they intended to do a mindless low stress fun why they made that episode 12,thats the question...

And if they were planning something impressive and philosophical with that other world stuff why they wasted so much time(10.5 episode) on mindless low stress fun...The anime contradicted with itself,thats why people feel that wtf feel...
Sep 19, 2014 3:00 PM

Feb 2011
y123y said:
I think its very obvious how the final episode will go:

Yuki, Yanagi, Sachi, Hiro, Touko, and Kakeru will meet up at the cafe restaurant. They will all finally have a conversation together and then Kakeru will be welcomed into their group and Kakeru will no longer be lonely.

Then Yuki will tell everyone that he and Yanagi are a couple, then Sachi will tell everyone that she and Hiro are a couple, and then Touko will tell everyone that she and Kakeru are a couple.

Then the couples leave the restaurant together. Yuki and Yanagi kiss, Sachi and Hiro kiss, and Touko and Kakeru kiss.

Then later during the episode, to close out the anime, they are all wearing yukatas and are going to the festival to enjoy the firworks together.

And then that would be all.

^This
Sep 19, 2014 3:02 PM

Nov 2008
I have no problems with mindless low-stress fun. Lucky Star is a great example of that.

But Glasslip isn't "fun". It's boring. It's tedious to sit through. For me, at least. I've had more fun watching harem series...because at least the comedy is normally good and the leads develop a better written romance.
ChiibiSep 19, 2014 3:08 PM

Sep 19, 2014 3:28 PM

Aug 2008
Contrary to all the hate: I was mesmerised by this episode - the fact I'm writing this comment is the ultimate proof thereof, as I seldomly interact with the forum.

I couldn't help but find the overall experience of this part to be really diverting and was extremely surprised when it ended so fast - time literally flew by on an instant. It naturally kept me wondering what was going on at first, but I quickly saw through the idea behind this setup and thus could fully indulge in the scenery, leaving me with a marvelous feeling when the ending song started to play.

Long story short: I'm looking forward to next weeks instalment and hope it will leave me with a similar sensation combined with an overall pleasuring ending.
Sep 19, 2014 5:53 PM

Jul 2008
The episode is just barely savable, hope it doesn't end like this.
Sep 19, 2014 5:54 PM

Oct 2007
I seriously don't know what is happening in this anime, it's just been way too random >___>
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2014 6:03 PM

Feb 2012
And here I thought this shit couldn't get any worse.
Sep 19, 2014 7:36 PM

Sep 2014
watched this today (Friday)
only regret about watching it late is that I came here with eight pages already in the forum

wtf two Yukinari, Yanagi, Sachi, Hiro of each in imaginary world? one of them can't "see" Touko and is illusionary and one is not? wtf whatever this anime isn't good enough to dwell on stuff I don't get
didn't like the episode
I don't consider myself a good judge.

trying not to be an obnoxious otaku
Sep 19, 2014 7:48 PM

Jul 2011
Such a deep, meaningful and profound episode. Totally mind blown.
Sep 19, 2014 8:40 PM

Aug 2008
WHAT THE HELL DID I WATCH?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 19, 2014 8:43 PM

Aug 2013
So the fragments from last episode were actually this alternate reality? This series can't even manage to organise and explain one reality let alone a second alternate one! I suppose this was Touko's way of experiencing Kakeru's sudden expected loneliness but beyond that I was confused as hell. Even when they were talking about it, I was still confused. It's hopefully going to sum up and explaining everything in layman's terms in the finale but I know that is way too much to hope for. We'll probably just get more mindfuck...
Sep 19, 2014 9:19 PM
Aug 2011
Why are we still watching lol
Sep 19, 2014 9:26 PM

Sep 2013
-Robunaga said:
So the fragments from last episode were actually this alternate reality?

Close! ALL of the "visions" are actually from that other reality. There's a time difference, that's why it SEEMS like they're seeing the future. It's winter there., snowing.
So when Touko "visits" this other place in Ep.12? Some can see her but others cannot. She's seeing a different world with different events, her brief visions didn't give her enough information to know that.
The David there can see her, and it's possible the David she saw way back in Ep.01 was "other reality" David too... visiting her reality...

It's a really nice concept! I like it! (I hope I've got it right, lolz!)
Now as for the 3 Davids talking to each other? Hummm...
Sep 19, 2014 9:45 PM

Dec 2007
I can't help but wonder why so many people were confushed by this episode it really wasn't that hard to figure out.
Sep 19, 2014 11:08 PM

Nov 2013
For most of the episode I thought this show was going full Madoka with time traveling and alternate realities, but I think it was just Touka's imagination. Still though, quite an interesting episode that had me absorbed trying to figure out what was going on.
Sep 19, 2014 11:15 PM

Nov 2012
Ehem, i honestly had a high expectation from
This anime, the first few episodes were just beautiful but now... Im confused as F -ed trying to figure out exactly what is happening :(
Sep 19, 2014 11:29 PM

Oct 2013
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Sep 19, 2014 11:38 PM
Sep 2014
From what I can interpret out of this ep is that, when she listens to his mom plays the piano she is able to "see" his sudden expected loneliness thing they have been talking about in the recent episodes. Remember that in ep 10 and 11 Touko keeps saying she wants to learn about his loneliness, well, she learns about it in ep 12. Just like what happens to Touko when the projections of the others don't see/remember her at the firework show... Kakeru's friends weren't able to see him, or in another word - left him behind, or at least that was how he felt, and that was because he didn't have a special place shared with them. The fact that he kept moving with his mom didn't give him enough time to create special memories with his friends/he didn't have a special place in their memory. Thus, he developed the sudden expected loneliness. I've been questioning why he has many of himself talking to him...and after that prediction just now, I think he himself created them so that he would feel less lonely...like he is accompanied when he's actually alone.

I think it's pretty cute how Touko and Kakeru are connected through his mom's piano piece. In the previous episodes, whenever he listens to his mom's music he is able to hear her voice. And now she is able to see into his perspective when she listens to the music.
I was worried about the anime because I read the discussions on the forum after watching ep 6 and wondered if I should continue. I got to admit that the anime is quite...weird and nothing happens much in each episode but somehow it was addicting for me. After watching ep 12, I'm more certain that this anime isn't horrible like what most people here say. Can't wait for the last episode!
Sep 20, 2014 12:10 AM
Aug 2011
Why am I still watching this
Sep 20, 2014 12:23 AM

Feb 2010
I got so lost in this episode until the last scene.

I was going to give out my final thoughts for the final episode, but I don't think I'm patient enough to do so, so here's what I think of this show overall.

I found it pretty decent at the first episode. However, it became more and more tedious as this went on. I was excited before this began airing; I feel so fucking disappointed.

And mind you, I enjoy Slice of Life anime, but this has to be the dullest and most boring Slice of Life I've ever watched! ALMOST NOTHING'S HAPPENED THROUGHOUT THIS GODDAMN THING!

*Internally screaming*
Sep 20, 2014 12:42 AM

Mar 2014
Out of all the episodes this is probably the one I liked the most. Basically because I was actually interested in what was going on. And this is from a person who usually finds Glasslip to be really boring.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Can someone explain the end ?

Shomix - Dec 5, 2014

22 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

441 by oooo3333 »»
Feb 7, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

179 by oooo3333 »»
May 18, 2023 2:25 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

211 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 2:52 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

153 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.