Forums
New
Oct 28, 2009 9:59 PM

Jan 2008
so lets hear what it means to be a ojou-sama
since its much more than being a wealthy girl
since some real ojou-sama's arent even rich (anymore) ^^
is it stuff like tea ceremonies is it the way to speak what
is the most important part that makes a real ojou-sama.

"Smiles aren't made, they're shown."- Belldandy (A!MG)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 29, 2009 5:44 AM

Jul 2008
For an Ojou-sama I see several core requirements. Often it's a combination of those, but they don't necessarily all need to fit.

1. Social environment: Having servants or followers that constantly treat the Ojou-sama as if she is of a higher standing.

2. High class behavior/attitude: Example: Treats others as if they are of lower standing and depending on their character then either looks down upon them, ignores them, plays around with them or tries to help them.

3. High class skills: Tea Ceremony, Dance, Ballet

4. Heritage: Being from a wealthy or powerful family is a helpful attribute to being an Ojou-sama, but I don't consider this as important as the other points above.

Perhaps some more things will come to my mind later on, but this is it for now from me.

*edit*
Additional Note to Princesses:
I consider them often to be a different type of character, though many of them would easily qualify as an Ojou-sama. I think especially on this point we will need some further discussion.

*next edit after thinking some more about the princess question*
Princesses get their status solely through their family ties. Ojou-samas on the other hand earned their status often through their character and demeanor.
Now we also have to consider that many Ojou-sama's are coming from wealthy/powerful families as well, but then not all of them do. To that I'd say a wealthy background often helps a girl to develop the attitude and social environment that are necessary to qualify as an Ojou-sama.

So if a princess would lose her status, but would still be held in high regard by the others around her, then I'd probably be willing to accept her as an Ojou-sama as well.
SilberkralleOct 29, 2009 8:37 AM
Oct 29, 2009 7:58 AM

Jan 2008
Silberkralle said:

So if a princess would lose her status, but would still be held in high regard by the others around her, then I'd be probably willing to accept her as an Ojou-sama as well.

thats it ^^ thats why i accepted charlotte and sylvia from princess lover ^^
no matter if theyre princesses or not theyll always have that ojou-sama air ^^

Oct 29, 2009 8:08 AM

Jun 2008
My definition is the rich girl. I don't think she has to have the qualities that make her elegant because if she had a butler, a maid, etc. she would still be called ojou-sama. Even friends of the family would call the daughter ojou-sama, regardless of if they acted in a high society type manner.

Now there are some characters who may act elegant and thusly be called ojou-sama. The criteria for them is a bit different as they are being elevated to the status of ojou-sama.
Oct 29, 2009 2:26 PM

Mar 2008
alamarco said:
My definition is the rich girl. I don't think she has to have the qualities that make her elegant because if she had a butler, a maid, etc. she would still be called ojou-sama.

Now there are some characters who may act elegant and thusly be called ojou-sama.

Yes that make a lot of sense.

That's what I think too
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2009 3:19 PM

Jan 2008
but thats a definition of ojou-sama .... i want to know your definitions of a "REAL" ojou-sama ;) or should i say the Perfect ojou-sama ? ^^

and to that there is definely the point of her "air" that makes u think of her as one no matter what standing she really has but the chance of having a "natural" ojou-sama type girl without a fitting background is near to 0% ^^ so normally in a anime or manga u have such a char and after a while u get to know that she is having that kind of background ^^

Oct 30, 2009 9:57 AM

Jul 2008
As Kaminakun said in the relations thread a poll on this should help us find the defintion. Of course we will need some possible choices on that poll. To come up with these we should advance this discussion a bit.
For that I'd really like to have a few questions answered (by all those who want to help define the Ojou-sama). Please don't think of this as the inquisition. xD I'll also answer them myself. It might just help us to come to a better understanding. Oh and add your own questions if you want.

1. Needs an Ojou-sama to be rich?
Me: No, but it helps develope the personality of one.

2. Needs an Ojou-sama to be influential among her peers?
Me: Yes, most definitely!

3. Is a girl from a rich/influential/nobel family automatically an Ojou-sama?
Me: No, it's more something about their character. If such a girl could lose her status, but would still be held in high regard by others, then I'd consider her an Ojou-sama.

4. Are there any features or skills you expect from an Ojou-sama?
Me: There are completely different types of characters which all still would be considered an Ojou-sama. So I'll not focus on skills, but I consider all of them influential in ne way or another. For example some gain influence by being helpful, others are just dominating through power and money.

5. What do you expect from the social environment of an Ojou-sama?
Me: This might differ from type to type, but no matter what I expect them to be treated with respect.
Oct 30, 2009 9:21 PM

Mar 2008
I copied this from a site that defines the word Ojou-sama and I completely agree with it:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Literally, a formal Japanese word for "young lady", the term Ojou (often Ojou-san or Ojou-sama, as they are the more formal honorifics) is typically used in anime when refering to wealthy, high-class female characters.

....the key point is that other people treat them as if they were royalty, whether or not they actually are. Some Ojou can actually attain their status simply by personality alone ... by being so heavily idolized that a fanclub springs around her and elevates her to a status far above that of those around her, and level violent reprisals against any who would treat her as a commoner.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ojou
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Needs an Ojou-sama to be rich?
Me: No ... see above definition.

2. Needs an Ojou-sama to be influential among her peers?
Me: Yes ... they should be a center figure for everyone ...

3. Is a girl from a rich/influential/nobel family automatically an Ojou-sama?
Me: Yes and No ... this is hard for me since most rich/nobel families will have maids and servants and they are often being referred to as "ojou-sama" and to some degree they often act like one in those case ...

4. Are there any features or skills you expect from an Ojou-sama?
Me: Not really ... some ojou-sama can be completely useless but still have a great influence (due to popularity or looks or simply from wealth)...

5. What do you expect from the social environment of an Ojou-sama?
Me: Nothing special...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2009 4:06 AM

Mar 2009
the real is for me
erichan from school rumble
i am going to be the i the one with the biggest manga pocket collgection

url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/enerjak&sclick=1][/url]
Jan 30, 2011 9:11 PM

Sep 2008
I think it would be easier for me to answer your question in this matter raistorm.

The type of ojou-sama I prefer are usually the tsundere type. But there's an aspect in them that I noticed from other animes ojou-samas like from Saki or To Love-Ru, there is actually a really strong kindness in them. If you seen any of those animes, you know what I'm talking about.

Also, besides their rich laugh. It's their manner of speaking, with the "desu-wa" at the end of their sentences. Also I love their dere side, Infinite Stratos is a perfect example of that.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which type of Ojou-sama is the best ?

RaiStorM - Oct 27, 2009

23 by Oreos2016 »»
Jan 11, 2017 8:15 AM

» Character/Anime/Manga Relations

Silberkralle - Oct 27, 2009

49 by Arctic »»
Aug 24, 2014 2:49 AM

» Laughting Ojou-samas

RaiStorM - Nov 20, 2009

7 by TechDragon »»
Mar 26, 2013 12:40 AM

Sticky: » Do-it-yourself-Membercards *STARTED*

RaiStorM - Jan 17, 2011

9 by ToG25thBaam »»
Oct 27, 2012 3:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.