Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2014 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp well that escalated. Oh what?, did Tatsuya just grab a bullet? Yup I think he did. Mm, cute bow Azusa..

>Tatsuya aims his weapon
>Tatsuya makes truck disappear.

Oh boy. Juumonji also made some impressive moves I guess. Episode ended with this scene from the LN. Not too much to adapt at this rate..
Sep 13, 2014 8:55 AM
Oct 2012
Stark700 said:
Oh what?, did Tatsuya just grab a bullet? Yup I think he did.

Nope, just made it seem like he grabbed the bullet. He doesn't want anyone to know that he is using "decomposition" magic, nearly gets away with it as well.

As for acceleration, it is only starting. We did 0-60 here, but this car can go supersonic on that score.
Sep 13, 2014 8:55 AM

Nov 2007
Terrorists don't have power (only with guns)? The main guy is incredible as always. Fighting (main guy group) and Excavation (student council rep girl). Wow, freezing the bullets!

Wow, ex-student council rep girl also saw what he saw? The main guy's team arrived, and what did the sister do with the kiss on his forehead? Giving power? It looks like the guy is a knight of the sister and receiving prayer from his princess.

2 more eps.
tsubasaloverSep 13, 2014 9:02 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 13, 2014 9:00 AM

Jul 2014
Seems this episode is rushed too much, Haven't watched the episode yet though I knew what will happens. About Miyuki's doing on his forehand, She just simply released Tatsuya's limiter. Now, in the next episode he will unleashes his full power :33
SanzenSep 13, 2014 9:05 AM

Sep 13, 2014 9:01 AM
Oct 2012
[quote=tsubasalover]Terrorists don't have power (only with guns)? [/Spoiler] Anti-Magician High Powered Guns. Not sure if they explained it, but those can penetrate most magic defense. The GAA does have some Magicians with them, but they did not want to risk their most powerful Magicians on this raid.

tsubasalover said:
Wow, ex-student council rep girl also saw what he saw? The main guy's team arrived, and what did the sister do with the kill on his forehead? Giving power?

Yes, Saegusa in line with her sharpshooting ability has scope magic. No, Miyuki released his power. This is why they have such a tight relationship, she uses her ability to limit Tatsuya's power. Back in episode 18 the military guy mentioned that there were several limiters on Tatsuya's powers, this was one of the Yotsuba's limiters. But in as much as Tatsuya has been unchained, so has Miyuki.
Sep 13, 2014 9:06 AM

Nov 2007
Seiryuu2 said:
About Miyuki's doing on his forehand, She just simply released Tatsuya's limiter. Now, in the next episode he will unleashes his full power :33
Takuan_Soho said:

Miyuki released his power. This is why they have such a tight relationship, she uses her ability to limit Tatsuya's power. Back in episode 18 the military guy mentioned that there were several limiters on Tatsuya's powers, this was one of the Yotsuba's limiters. But in as much as Tatsuya has been unchained, so has Miyuki.

Oh, I see. I cannot wait.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 13, 2014 9:13 AM
Oct 2012
tsubasalover said:

I haven't had a chance to see it (still have 30 minutes to wait), but I really liked this part in the novel and not sure how it was animated. Here is the text.

I particularly liked the line in bold. That is a direct reference that Tatsuya is based on Shiva. Even in a bad translation, the description has power.
Sep 13, 2014 9:24 AM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
tsubasalover said:

I haven't had a chance to see it (still have 30 minutes to wait), but I really liked this part in the novel and not sure how it was animated. Here is the text.

I particularly liked the line in bold. That is a direct reference that Tatsuya is based on Shiva. Even in a bad translation, the description has power.

That part was good. The psion show was really bright and the sound effects were cool. It seems to have been underwhelming for some people though so I wonder what you'll think.
Sep 13, 2014 9:32 AM

May 2014
Still waiting 2 hours before I can watch it,anyone can spoil me if they didn't butcher/censored it too much? :)
Sep 13, 2014 9:33 AM

May 2009
PRAISE THE ONII-SAMA
Sep 13, 2014 9:35 AM

Oct 2013
darkreaperix said:
Still waiting 2 hours before I can watch it,anyone can spoil me if they didn't butcher/censored it too much? :)

They didn't. Tatsuya's karate chop wasn't censored, at least not enough that I noticed. I have high hopes for Masaki's magic after this episode.
Sep 13, 2014 9:40 AM

May 2014
millie10468 said:
darkreaperix said:

They didn't. Tatsuya's karate chop wasn't censored, at least not enough that I noticed. I have high hopes for Masaki's magic after this episode.

Good,for those looking for blood,I mean action they can be kind of satisfied with this and the last eps (boggles the mind how they will fit all those actions scenes in just 2 more eps).
Sep 13, 2014 9:52 AM
Oct 2012
millie10468 said:
That part was good. The psion show was really bright and the sound effects were cool. It seems to have been underwhelming for some people though so I wonder what you'll think.

Humm, that is a tough one. It's hard to blame madhouse because showing what people are only thinking is difficult for even live action (let alone animation), but throughout this series they haven't done a good job at expressing the fear that people have when Tatsuya does his stuff. For example when he does the catching and chopping, the entire room was supposed to have been in shocked silence, with only Miyuki's casual "oh, let me clear the blood" breaking the silence. It was sort of captured here, but the shock I think wasn't, they needed to have a pause between the action and her speaking. Same when Tatsuya asked Miyuki to silence the guns, or in really capturing that Erika really wants to fight. Again they sort of show it, but I think it could have been better done (I would have had Erika literally bouncing with blood lusting excitement in most scenes).

As for the final scene, visually it was good, but again I don't think they conveyed the feeling of the text. There was no sense of dread, of a god descending upon the battlefield. Though it probably would have made no sense, I think they actually should have animated storms and lightening descending onto Tatsuya, together with earthquakes and a stunned silence between the fading of the light and Miyuki's "Go forth and conquer" line.

But that is ALOT to ask for, and it may be asking too much.
Sep 13, 2014 9:59 AM

Aug 2014
Hey Jakkubus!!!

You were right the enemies were pretty much retarded and their skills are mere thug levels or Blanche levels. XD

It's nice to see that Tatsuya totally baffled Curious George. XD

Welp I'll write some more once the subbed version is released.

@bastek66
Nice Gif, Sasuga Kami-sama. XD
GrimlokkSep 13, 2014 10:03 AM
Sep 13, 2014 10:32 AM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
millie10468 said:

Humm, that is a tough one. It's hard to blame madhouse because showing what people are only thinking is difficult for even live action (let alone animation), but throughout this series they haven't done a good job at expressing the fear that people have when Tatsuya does his stuff. For example when he does the catching and chopping, the entire room was supposed to have been in shocked silence, with only Miyuki's casual "oh, let me clear the blood" breaking the silence. It was sort of captured here, but the shock I think wasn't, they needed to have a pause between the action and her speaking. Same when Tatsuya asked Miyuki to silence the guns, or in really capturing that Erika really wants to fight. Again they sort of show it, but I think it could have been better done (I would have had Erika literally bouncing with blood lusting excitement in most scenes).

As for the final scene, visually it was good, but again I don't think they conveyed the feeling of the text. There was no sense of dread, of a god descending upon the battlefield. Though it probably would have made no sense, I think they actually should have animated storms and lightening descending onto Tatsuya, together with earthquakes and a stunned silence between the fading of the light and Miyuki's "Go forth and conquer" line.

But that is ALOT to ask for, and it may be asking too much.

I was waiting for that period of stunned silence after karate chop Tatsuya and I do agree that while they did show it, it lacked the atmosphere I thought would go along with. Same with the Conqueror Tatsuya scene. Visually, the emission of psions was great and all but again, it lacked that atmosphere. I've had a problem with the laid-back atmosphere of the anime for a while now. It really shows the difference between our imagination and the animation.

Btw,
Sep 13, 2014 10:35 AM

Sep 2011
So, did Tatsuya reveal his true identity yet to the people?
Sep 13, 2014 10:36 AM

Oct 2013
Tyrel said:

Yes.
Sep 13, 2014 10:38 AM

Sep 2011
millie10468 said:
Tyrel said:

Yes.
Great. Something to look forward to since I actually like that kind of stuff~
Sep 13, 2014 10:39 AM
Oct 2012
millie10468 said:
Btw,

No, I am hoping that my nearby Kinokuniya has 14 today when I go. They are usually 2-3 weeks behind.

Sep 13, 2014 10:41 AM

Aug 2011
bastek66 said:
PRAISE THE ONII-SAMA

I got wet just from seeing that.

Speaking of Oniisama, what's the count for this episode?
Sep 13, 2014 10:48 AM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
millie10468 said:
Btw,

No, I am hoping that my nearby Kinokuniya has 14 today when I go. They are usually 2-3 weeks behind.

Can you read moon?

Sep 13, 2014 10:52 AM
Oct 2012
millie10468 said:
I've had a problem with the laid-back atmosphere of the anime for a while now. It really shows the difference between our imagination and the animation.

Having read the novels, I can appreciate the laid back atmosphere, but if I were a "viewer only" I would have had no way of knowing that this is all deliberate and not merely bad writing.

But again it is hard to blame Madhouse, Satou's writing style pretty much demands this method, Madhouse would have had to create a lot of scenes to make things clearer, and that would have pissed of the prime target for this series. They are in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. That said, we can and should dream about how this animation could have been better :-)
Sep 13, 2014 11:10 AM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
millie10468 said:
I've had a problem with the laid-back atmosphere of the anime for a while now. It really shows the difference between our imagination and the animation.

Having read the novels, I can appreciate the laid back atmosphere, but if I were a "viewer only" I would have had no way of knowing that this is all deliberate and not merely bad writing.

But again it is hard to blame Madhouse, Satou's writing style pretty much demands this method, Madhouse would have had to create a lot of scenes to make things clearer, and that would have pissed of the prime target for this series. They are in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. That said, we can and should dream about how this animation could have been better :-)

In Satou's recent interview, he himself says that he realizes that a lot of the stuff he writes doesn't lend itself to animation well and that anime-only watchers were probably confused as heck.
Sep 13, 2014 11:13 AM

Jul 2014
millie10468 said:

In Satou's recent interview, he himself says that he realizes that a lot of the stuff he writes doesn't lend itself to animation well and that anime-only watchers were probably confused as heck.

LMAO, if he did say that then he would pretty much realizes that the Anime adaption of his work is not really that good.
The funny thing on this episode was, We haven't seen any civilian lately yet in this episode they were pooooppping up everywhere xD

Sep 13, 2014 11:34 AM

Nov 2013
NihonFalcom said:
bastek66 said:
PRAISE THE ONII-SAMA

I got wet just from seeing that.

Speaking of Oniisama, what's the count for this episode?

I believe that would be 8. I think I'm going to set the total oniisama count as my tag for the series when it's over.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 13, 2014 11:36 AM

Jul 2010
To get all those bullets :O Getting the truck to disappear and to be able to eliminate so many hostiles in such a quick manner! To be released at full power... can't even begin imagining it.
So they found how a little of Tatsuya's background.
Also looking forward to the things the Chiba is sending over!
Sep 13, 2014 11:37 AM

Sep 2011
Anyway, that was quite a good episode IMO. Despite me not liking the series so much, it was kinda nice to see that truck just get evaporated like that and the former Student President witnessing said. Also, dat reveal to everyone (aka the other school members).
Sep 13, 2014 11:38 AM

Dec 2012
Best episode in a while, holy shit.
Sep 13, 2014 11:38 AM

Jul 2012
"You now have free rein"?!? ugh, wish they'd left it as "May you conquer all before you."
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Sep 13, 2014 11:40 AM

May 2013
Good episode. Tatsuya able to grab that bullet was awesome. Now he is able to go all out after that kiss from Miyuki.
Sep 13, 2014 11:49 AM
Oct 2012
mg021 said:
"You now have free rein"?!? ugh, wish they'd left it as "May you conquer all before you."

Unfortunately it is a closer translation to the book than "May you conquer all before you" (which I do think is a better line - the translator had a bit of an inspiration there).

存分に literally means "to do something as freely as one can".
Sep 13, 2014 11:55 AM

Jul 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
mg021 said:

Unfortunately it is a closer translation to the book than "May you conquer all before you" (which I do think is a better line - the translator had a bit of an inspiration there).

存分に literally means "to do something as freely as one can".

I learned something today, lol. guess thanks need to go out to dreyakis for adding his own twist to lines like this :P
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Sep 13, 2014 11:55 AM

Nov 2012
this episode was better than last one, but I still want more action..........
Mayumi was the only one who saw what he did with that truck, her face expression was interesting.......
Next episode looks promising...........
Sep 13, 2014 12:08 PM

Sep 2013
What the hell was with those bullets shattering the wall like that? Also, those guns were VERY sexy. And now god Tatsuya has awoken, cant wait to see what kind of crazy shit he can pull now.
Sep 13, 2014 12:08 PM

Feb 2014
Oniisama is too op, he can cut people's arms and destroy bullets with just his hands.

And what just happened with that kiss a the end? I didn't understand. Did he just level up to a more powerful being than jesus?
llcruzSep 13, 2014 12:11 PM
Sep 13, 2014 12:09 PM

Apr 2013

Dat escalation! Thank the lord that Tatsuya/Godsuya is back and raging harder than ever. He barely bats an eye while his baller status (and only even a little bit of it) gets revealed. And with that Miyuki kiss, it looks like this is about to game over for lots of bitches in the last two episodes.

This was definitely one of the better episodes because, lets be honest, we all love it when OP Tatsuya goes absolutely HAM with no regard for human life.
Sep 13, 2014 12:10 PM

Aug 2011
Can't wait for Masaki's magic.. For all i know it's supposed to disgust people due being so gory..

I have high expectations for next episode :D
Sep 13, 2014 12:16 PM
Apr 2008
Disables their weapons, essentially making them defenseless; QUICK ONI-SAMA sever their limbs and slaughter all of them. Love how they bring high school kids in on top secret military shit and have them not just fighting but fuck'n massacring terrorists.

Haha, best unintentional comedy Ive seen this year. Jesus Son of Zeus Neo Tatsuya mercilessly killing everyone and vaporizing vehicles through like 5 walls, leaving them untouched.

With Gary Stu getting his full-power released, I'm gonna take a shot and say next weeks going to be hilarious.

Aug 2011
deanzel said:

Dat escalation! Thank the lord that Tatsuya/Godsuya is back and raging harder than ever. He barely bats an eye while his baller status (and only even a little bit of it) gets revealed. And with that Miyuki kiss, it looks like this is about to game over for lots of bitches in the last two episodes.

This was definitely one of the better episodes because, lets be honest, we all love it when OP Tatsuya goes absolutely HAM with no regard for human life.

What just happened was miyuki releasing the limiters so it's gonna get ten times more insane at the next epsiode.. (At least if they follow the light novel..)

Apr 2014
Oh Shit. They saw the Tatsuya's merciless demonic powers!!! R.I.P. to those who was been butchered by Tatsuya!

All of the First High Students was really shock when they discovered that Shiba Tatsuya was an special officer of JSDF 101 Independent Magic-Equipped Battalion Squad.

Damn it! Shiba's limiter was gone!!! I guess we will see "Ooguro Ryuuya" (the Obsidian Demon) since they said the special battle suit for Tatsuya was on the trailer.

And Hell!!! We only got 2 Episodes left!!! But we can't do anything about it, So i guess we should wait how this gonna end. Will wait to watch the Badass,Merciless,Demonic Magic Powers of Tatsuya next week!
Haters always gonna hate.
Sep 13, 2014 12:17 PM

Aug 2014
- Chinese broke in to building and got apprehended by Tatsuya and Co (Well mostly Tatsuya). Not to mention Tatsuya decomposing all the bullets fired at him at super human speeds. XD
- Curious George just got told and put in his place (If anything compared to Tatsuya he's only second rate along with Masaki). :P
- Students currently forming an escape plan while the situation is still chaotic outside with Cops and Magicians vs The Chinese.
- Tatsuya and Co slaughter the attackers (Well mostly Tatsuya).
- Tatsuya and Co in the VIP room trying to determine the next course of action and intel gathering (well mostly Tatsuya).
- Chinese Drunk Driver tried to ram his truck into the building but Tatsuya just decomposed his truck and left him alive (what a shame). Not to mention Mayumi just had an orgasm. XD
- Tatsuya revealed to be secret super officer with the military (everyone of Tatsuya's classmates has an orgasm specifically the girls and as for the guys they pissed their pants). XD
- Miyuki unleashes Onee Sama's God Mode.

-Tune in next week for more.

The action is picking up so far, but to be very honest it still feels a bit underwhelming. Eh whatever chances are I'll probably give this series a 6 or 5 depending on how the last two episodes play out.
GrimlokkSep 13, 2014 12:35 PM
Sep 13, 2014 12:17 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I don't know if the folks doing this series have become aware of how unintentionally funny it's become. I hope they do. At least I like that they definitely pull no punches when it comes to showing how overwhelmingly OP Tatsuya is. He even gets a curtsy from his sister. The gobsmacked face of everyone in the room when they find out he's military is pretty good to.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 13, 2014 12:18 PM

Jun 2014
You know...as a Chinese-native (who also live in Japan for a while, currently in USA), I felt a little guilty when translating this part of the novel into Chinese, but again, most Chinese light novel readers act really really mature and simply accept that their country is a big lame villain that will get blew to pieces in the Mahouka universe.(in the web version, the union was straightly referred as "China Federation" , of course it was changed when the work was released in official volumes) And for the record, Mahouka is one of the most popular light novel titles in China and Taiwan region, both fan translations and official volumes.

The anime adaptation in this particular episode was done very well. Satou-sensei's writing style is very hard to translate into anime format, and you can tell the director and the production team did their best effort.

Two more episodes, let the "firework" begin!
Sep 13, 2014 12:20 PM

Aug 2011
I wonder why nobody uses the spoiler tags when they discuss about upcoming episodes :D
Oct 2012
well this got bloody quick!

Apr 2008
SmilingBeginner said:
You know...as a Chinese-native (who also live in Japan for a while, currently in USA), I felt a little guilty when translating this part of the novel into Chinese, but again, most Chinese light novel readers act really really mature and simply accept that their country is a big lame villain that will get blew to pieces in the Mahouka universe.(in the web version, the union was straightly referred as "China Federation" , of course it was changed when the work was released in official volumes) And for the record, Mahouka is one of the most popular light novel titles in China and Taiwan region, both fan translations and official volumes.

The anime adaptation in this particular episode was done very well. Satou-sensei's writing style is very hard to translate into animel format, and you can tell the director and the production team did their best effort.

Two more episodes, let the "firework" begin!

Oh the irony given one of our users in these threads cries in his signature how the series demonizes the Chinese.

Apr 2013
stefeman said:
deanzel said:

What just happened was miyuki releasing the limiters so it's gonna get ten times more insane at the next epsiode.. (At least if they follow the light novel..)

Yeah, I know that was what happened. I just love that it was a kiss that lets him go into pure-HAM mode.

Apr 2014
Oh god, this series is taking my breath away now. I'm longing for the next episode more than I've ever done to any anime before.
Sep 13, 2014 12:22 PM

Jan 2010
LOL
Tatsuya went superman in this episode.
He catch a bullet with his hand and disintegrate them.
He just slice those people in half.
He freaking disintegrate a truck.
He went super saiyan at the end.

Next episode: He will go as Iron Man.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2014 12:22 PM

Aug 2011
SweDark said:
Oh god, this series is taking my breath away now. I'm longing for the next episode more than I've ever done to any anime before.

I also value this series higher in terms of interest compared to SAO or Aldnoah..

I guess i'm a sucker for godlike main characters

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.