Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 12, 2014 1:02 PM
Sep 2014
Hi guys.

Since many people are so confused over all the portrayals in Glasslip, and I've just got my observations confirmed in episode 11, I'd like to provide my perspective so you guys could appreciate Glasslip, probably also Nagi no asukara better.

Note that this is only My Interpretation, it is neither "right" or "wrong". Neither should be yours. You can say it's a boring show with "Bad" character developments. Suit yourself.

TL;DR: Glasslip uses highly metaphorical storytelling. Understanding the metaphors made me so pleased with the anime I give it a 5/5 rating overall. Examples below.

Let me explain.

First we all recognise explicit "similarities" between Glasslip and Nagi no Asukara (I shall call it NnA from now on). We agreed to some extent that Kakeru is Tsumugu #2, etc.
To those who don't know about NnA,
http://myanimelist.net/anime/16067/Nagi_no_Asukara

But on a deeper side, something that NnA has, that so much anime doesn't really focus on is the intentional use of symbols and metaphors.
(correct me for my errors, I haven't watched NnA since episode 26 release)
The Sea God's seemingly unrequited love is reflected in the Sea's (human) inhabitants themselves. And if you were to think about it, there are many other images, symbols and significance hidden within NnA. What is said (in the end) about unrequited love? Why do Hikaru and the Sea god both behave in such a selfish and possessive manner? What is the deeper meaning in that stupid "Sea God sacrifice"?
What do all these want to say about love, and other aspects of human life and society? Is an Anime All About The Artwork, Music, And Superficial Portrayals?

My point is not to get you confused over NnA, I'll do one for NnA if I think I should. My point is for you to note that NnA (and therefore, perhaps Glasslip?) uses such literary devices to get their message across.

Now, Glasslip. (I'll cover some main ideas, then the relationships, then more main ideas)

You might not even know where to begin, the story is weird, you wonder why on earth there are chickens following this couple all the time, shown in weird intervals and in the Ending. You wonder what's with the episode titles (I mean, they're some abstract thing like Hyouka's "why did she ask EBA?" right..), what's with the extreme weirdness and AWKWARDNESS of Kakeru and Touko. And what-the-shit-they-got-together-talking-riddles-about-things-that-don't-exist. If you stay with me I'll answer them now.
The first episode is called "fireworks'. It begins with people going towards some celebration, specially (well, kimonos) prepared for it. Kakeru is also going. Touko walks in her kimono shakily, yet is gratified by the fireworks and probably the celebratory event as well.
She is gratified, but is she really ready for what is to come?
(think of how she carries herself in her relationship with Kakeru. whether it really keeps the relationship going.)

The screen freezes at her receiving GRATIFICATION (even though she wasn't completely prepared) and displays her name. I'd like to say that this is the anime's one-frame Introduction to Fukami Touko. Someone who's basically unprepared and clumsy, yet wanting to be gratified. Glasslip being a romance anime, I'd like to guess they're going to comment about how this (and other characters') behavior will affect her love relationships. Also, if you were to go to that scene, she's placed beside two young children. I'd like to think that she's partially immature. And the anime just wants to reinforce that idea. There are lots to say about how the other characters are introduced, but since my goal is to make you all less confused and into the main themes I'll skip all of those.

Firstly I'll talk about the screen freezing. Basically it's to show emphasis of a certain idea. Sometimes when I don't get it, I pause when the screen freezes, and go Ahh and continue. 3 touches on MX Player (Android) to get a whole lot of meaning won't hurt.

For example, when the screen freezes at the image of an eagle, the anime wants us to focus on the Idea of an Eagle. An Eagle is free, soaring the skies in complete freedom. Eagles tend to be symbols of strength, power, freedom and ACCOMPLISHMENT. On the other hand, a Chicken can't fly even though it's classified as a bird. I'd like to think that the chickens are put loitering around Kakeru and Touko to reflect their relationship: IT FAILS TO TAKE FLIGHT at first. I tend to see a chicken being focused on whenever they do something stupid with regards to their relationship (like, care about their own hallucinations), or when they overcome some communication error. (and when they're in school, that is). There was this time Touko imagined the black birds. It's as if she's scared of birds (even though they represent all that freedom and accomplishment) - she's scared of reaching the level of a bird. She's scared of certain things within herself to make the relationship go further.

I can't stop thinking of how it reflects us real life people. Some of us just don't want to overcome our fears and be the great person in the great relationship. Some of us just want to be chicken. I hope you're starting to get it.

Talking about Hallucinations,
Why does Touko think of Winter? Cultural references aside, winter is the harshest season out of all the four. It is where human suffers the most (well in the past when this literary metaphor was first made we didn't have such good clothing all the time) physically because of the cold. After winter spring comes, everything comes alive and happy again. The Winter imagined by Touko is her Own Personal Suffering. Kakeru cannot see it. This all is reflective of love in the real world:
Nobody sees our "winters" (metaphor of suffering - Touko is suffering from her not being prepared for love, she can't even communicate properly with Kakeru),
Nobody really sees our suffering in the real world, yet it is an essential part of love. We must overcome the things we used to believe as a child (hence Touko being pictured with two children in her introduction pic in ep1).
Therefore, the Hallucinations are a metaphor of the things (the sufferings, the joys) we only experience in our perspective. It is our story. Love is when we share that story with another person, even though we're the only ones experiencing it.

More about the portrayal of love later.

Next relationship.

Sacchan, that black-haired introvert who looks so dark she could kill anyone or do anything unexpected at any moment. This one's a bit more straight forward knowing how Glasslip is trying to talk to us about love. The introvert basically learns to be more concerned about her partner, not just being a self-centred receiver. Before episode 10, all she does is see a guy serving her from head to toe, without reciprocation. Some would say she's not grateful. Actually she tells Hiro what books to read, what things to do for her, it's more like she doesn't know how to express love.
This is the central theme of Hiro's and Sacchan's relationship.
One expresses it too well, one just doesn't express it. And the relationship stagnates.
On episode 11 she tells Hiro she wants to go hiking. And she brings food. Looks like she's improved.
Now for Yanagi and Imi.

These two really portray the theme of concern really well. Yes, they tell us a lot about how concern is necessary in a relationship, how it doesn't just die off (from Yanagi) that easily, and how concern is needed on both sides for a relationship to be developed. One awesome thing is how they portray this using metaphors again. Yanagi starts to understand Imi's athleticism. Imi learns about Yanagi's feelings, eventually appreciates what she does for him, and learns to love back (being concerned about her dance lessons). The dance lessons are a metaphor of Yanagi's interests, and running Imi's interests. The way they have learnt to be a part of each other's different worlds shows us that love ought to be enduringly concerned especially when we don't understand the people around us. What further illustrates this is Imi's running group being full of men and Yanagi's dancing group being full of ladies who even laughed at him. Each group teased the relationship in separate episodes; they are reflective of those kind of people in the real world who don't perceive and understand this concern.

Sometimes We care so much about the superficial aspects (e.g. when Imi likes Touko only superficially) when choosing our Partner, when what we really need is to look around us and see who really cares about us, and Morally complements us.

In overall, I realised Glasslip is something not meant for typical anime enjoyment, but it has been one of the best in the portrayal of love.
Some people have criticised the slow development, but I feel they were all good. After all, I take this quote from (John Green and) The Fault In Our Stars:
"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

Glasslip begins with the celebration of the beginning of relationships with the use of "fireworks", shows us a slow development of the relationships which Accelerates and reaches the point we are now at episode 11. On the day they visit Kakeru, Touko and family sit on a very bright-coloured table, and the lunchbox Sacchan is holding is the only vivid colour in the scene. All this vibrance and happiness, only after the couples understand and learn of each other. Episode 11's title "Piano" is reflective of Kakeru: I believe he is shaped by his mother's piano playing. Touko and her family visits the unvisited Okikura house; it is reflective of how Kakeru's world becomes understood and appreciated. And It Is Only This Time That Love Truly Appears on the surface. I see Glasslip trying to tell us about so much work required by individuals before relationships become real. Don't you think this is more... Realistic?

Moreover, the awkwardness from the beginning till episode 11's insert (OP) song kinda reflects (and is also a result of) the awkwardness of relationships where people haven't learnt to have concern, understanding and love.

CONCLUSION:
I have definitely not included everything there is to say, I feel the anime (similar to NnA) wants the audience to understand its themes by close watching, realise and introspect. If you want to watch Glasslip again noting all of this you could try looking out for the Lighting. Whenever there is special lighting it's trying to tell us The Scene Itself is Reflective of an Idea. Whenever they freeze they're trying to emphasize.
I feel having these elements are great, they really make Glasslip original and full of significance. Really. This anime will be Greek to the lazy, but terribly insightful to those who observe things.

PS:
Things I have not covered are the bathing scenes, the NnA references and my ideas about Kakeru's personality. When one is unclothed, it is reflective of their personality being unmasked. Listen to what Yanagi and Touko say when their clothes are off. They're revealing their true emotions. Why can't people be honest about their emotions in normal circumstances?
The NnA references. For one, the sea slugs represent wish verification that is needed. Why? Because in the world of NnA basically Love is all unrequited. ALL relationships between the sea children. Nobody knows if their feelings are true.. Just like how the Sea God's relationship is unrequited (actually just not known that it is true). The Sea people's faults being similar to the Sea God's represent how we are affected unconsciously by all the possibly imperfect teachings by our tradition. Touko's sister Hina is having unrequited love too. She's merely admiring Imi with that sea slug on a phone that doesn't really exist on a land or a phone, much less answer her wishes. We see that Hina is much behind on her.. "story" in understanding Love.
Kakeru? He sleeps outside his house. He is introduced as a person on a train (hence HE TRAVELS --> with who else?). Hence he is someone who has been under the control of his parents (he said he followed his mother all over the world for her piano concerts). Every time he comes to a place he wants to stay and observe it more, but he'd have to leave with his mother. No wonder he sleeps outside, and tries to see the outside world himself. The birds, then, represent his freedom.
PPS:
Sorry if it was really long-winded. I felt I needed to explain all this. Perhaps I could try being more succinct.
- Seiyius
Sep 12, 2014 2:12 PM

Sep 2010
This reminded me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ern_Malley

There are countless examples (though the list of 'similar incidents' on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair is a good place to start) of incidents where people have been very easily convinced that something is a great work of art, innovation or expression of intelligence, simply because it's framed as such, and because seeing the value in something when others can't often makes people feel special.

I don't mean to say that you've only said all this to boost your ego and I think you deserve kudos for taking the time to write all of your thoughts out, and clearly you have given it a lot of thought and I'm sure others will find these ideas interesting too, even if they don't agree. However, I think it's pretty reasonable to say this is more than likely just what you've read into it and most of this was probably not what the show's creators intended at all, and there are probably a number of other possible, equally valid, interpretations too. If this is how you view the show and for that reason you get something out of it, that's fine and no-one could say there's anything wrong with that, but it would be equally valid for someone to say that if these really are the messages the show is trying to convey and pretty much the whole thing is metaphorical, it's ultimately just downright pretentious.
Sep 12, 2014 2:14 PM
Sep 12, 2014 2:35 PM
Jun 2014
Seiyius said:
Touko's sister Hina is having unrequited love too. She's merely admiring Imi with that sea slug on a phone that doesn't really exist on a land or a phone, much less answer her wishes. We see that Hina is much behind on her.. "story" in understanding Love.

I always find Hina's answer to be simple compare to Touko who complicates stuff. And I would personally answer the same. But you're somehow right, she's behind in the other aspects of love. Nice post.
Sep 12, 2014 11:30 PM
Sep 2014
Thanks for the replies guys!

I know that the interpretation takes a lot of assumptions, including the fact that all the symbols and metaphors were really intended. The post is just explaining my way of interpreting this anime's content, something I see many people confused about. It is an (2014) anime and will be judged as an anime, but it wouldn't make sense (as a story) if the dots aren't joined, in the eyes of at least quite a few people.
Sep 13, 2014 2:58 PM

Nov 2009
Interesting what you thought there Seiyius, we will have to see the last episode to see what this turns out to be! ^^

Sep 14, 2014 9:09 PM

Jun 2010
Seiyius said:

First we all recognise explicit "similarities" between Glasslip and Nagi no Asukara (I shall call it NnA from now on). We agreed to some extent that Kakeru is Tsumugu #2, etc.

Sorry but I dropped your analysis right there.
For someone whose initial proposition is to give an in-dept metaphorical analysis of a series,
joining the bandwagon of comparing it to a completely unrelated P.A.Works production is rather stupid.

Anyway, I did take a quick look at some other paragraphs and I think this is worth pointing out:
The "screen freezes" are typical of the director. If you've watched more of his stuff you'd already know (i.e: TrueTears).
Nevertheless, Glasslip doesn't have more symbolism than any other traditional japanese SoL, it's explicit and easy to get.
P.A.Works so far -and I doubt 2 episodes can change that- failed to deliver both an easygoing school SoL and a heavy drama/psychological insightful series, to the point we're at ep. 11 and I'm still wondering what the hell are they trying to accomplish. The only certain is that it's clearly failing.
6/10 for relaxing pacing and likable script.
xbobxSep 14, 2014 9:13 PM
Sep 15, 2014 10:34 PM

Jul 2009
xbobx said:
joining the bandwagon of comparing it to a completely unrelated P.A.Works production is rather stupid.

I would argue otherwise. There have been more recent evidence of Nagi no Asukara references in Glasslip.

On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Sep 15, 2014 11:03 PM

Jun 2010
arsonal said:
xbobx said:

I would argue otherwise. There have been more recent evidence of Nagi no Asukara references in Glasslip.

You said it right: There are, indeed, NnA references on Glasslip.
However, since when referencing another work makes it close in meaning or related to it?

This show already make it obviously clear that it follows the premise of "nothing really happens" which is already a totally different mood from NnA.
Besides, the comparisons OP made could be done with any other generic rom-com or SoL where there's a "mysterious transfer student" and something "mysterious" builds around him.
Ultimately, Glasslip was produced and directed mostly by the staff from True Tears, and Nishimura is well know for making homages and references to other animu in his series, not strictly NnA.

Alright, saying "completely" is a strong negative, I'd give you that.
But I still hold my point that the only close relationship between this series and NnA is on fanboys' minds.

Sep 19, 2014 11:54 AM
Nov 2011
I can definitely give you a cookie for writing out all your thoughts

I guess I should mention that I’ve watched the first 12 episodes one time and if I rewatched them my thoughts might change.

As for the thought itself I can agree with you about that this series like to use metaphors but as someone already mentioned I think you’ve read in it too much. Especially I can’t agree about Sacchans relationship. I think it definitely is just a portrayal of a relationship model and you don’t need to read into it and just observe the reactions of sickly people afraid of hurting others.

And In my opinion the story benefits only form convenient metaphors. If you want all the details to mean something you can’t just leave out the details that are inconvenient just because you need the actual story to make sense.

But the problem that I have with this show is that at times when I really got that feeling "well this definitely is a metaphor for something" I often get the feeling that it was something very specific, something that only author gets "the right way" and it is never revealed to the audience. In my opinion if you make such metaphor heavy/reliant show you make it either a total mindfuck or leave few simple but strong metaphors that go throughout all story. Don’t just mention them here and there. It just disappoints me how I either don’t get the metaphor or the metaphor is so simple it’s just plain boring.

The metaphors practically don’t have any impact. The main story (because you still need a main story and you can’t just live off metaphors) didn’t benefit from the deep thought the metaphors provided. They weren’t related and I didn’t see how these metaphors transcended into the actions/reactions of the actual characters. I could see that the character is indecisive and afraid of something new form the start I didn’t need the metaphor.

Not to mention the characters were introduced poorly. ok I understand if they make a statement - this is that guys crush and that’s the other guys crush etc.. I won’t question the pre-setting of the story, but if you introduce a new character that our heroine supposedly falls in love with, I need to see the reasoning for that.
Sep 19, 2014 2:36 PM

Sep 2013
Did you write this before Ep.12? Because THAT episode explains a LOT about the plot and "ESP" stuff.

And I think that's a hawk, not an eagle... either way it represents David.

Nice effort! I think you've over-complicated it though.

5 kids have their tranquility shaken up by the arrival of kid#6. Various "simmering" loves boil over, then calm down to 3 happy "ships".

Touko and David have their "love boat" hit a rock with the "visions" that frighten them! But the "red string of fate" is strong! And Ep.12 clears the way for them to live happily ever after! We hope, in Ep.13...

It's "similar" to NnA, and the studio slips some references into it, but it's FAR from related, story-wise, in any way.

I like ALL the characters in Glasslip! Some in NnA got on my nerves...

There's (possibly) other metaphors, involving chickens, but that's "for fun" I think and not essential to the plotline.

More topics from this board

» Can someone explain the end ?

Shomix - Dec 5, 2014

22 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

441 by oooo3333 »»
Feb 7, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

179 by oooo3333 »»
May 18, 2023 2:25 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

211 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 2:52 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

153 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.