Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you think this show is generic?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 16, 2014 9:54 PM

Mar 2012
PlumJuice said:
After reading many many shoujo, I've come to the conclusion that there's a limit to what you can do with high school shoujo romance stories. The uniqueness mainly comes from the characters, because no one person should be the same.
A lot of the generic parts come from the fact that they are targeting a high school audience and trying to teach simple lessons that most people have already learned, and that most stories have already shown.

I agree that Futaba is a character that is very difficult to sympathize or even imagine, but the lesson is still there. She's trying to teach Kou and high schoolers that you have to keep a brighter attitude.

I'll also say that this author has a certain unique quality in her works that I do not seen often in shoujo. HOWEVER, this quality is not shown until past the anime's timeline.
The anime is exaggerating the drama imo. There were parts in the manga that I thought were funny, but in the anime were changed to uncomfortably serious scenes. Although I don't think the anime dragged out, I do think that the story wasn't animated in the right style. This style was more suited for Sukitte ii nayo (which was animated very well).

I think you pretty much nailed hammer on the head. While I did think the early parts of the manga were pretty good, I do feel Io Sakisaka has grown stronger as a writer as this series has progressed. I feel she does a strong job of capturing how relationships work in the "real" world (in a sense).

That's why I truly hope this anime gets a sequel, because I believe "shit gets real" if this series gets the second season it deserves.
Sep 17, 2014 2:51 AM

Jan 2008
PlumJuice said:
People might also be forgetting that there are some people in the world that don't think of anything but pointless things, especially in high school. "I DON'T WANT TO BE BULLIED." "AM I GONNA GET THAT GUY?" "I'M GONNA BEAT HER TO IT." "OMG HE'S BEING EMO, I'M GOING TO HELP HIM."

They sound pointless, but the actions they take result in big developments. (Maybe big only in terms of shoujo manga or social matters, lol.)
Basically, she tried to be as realistic as she could. (Although Futaba's energy is kind of ridiculous, haha.)

You guys all talk about static characters, but I think there are people in real life who are static in personality as well. It takes time and influence to change.
Think of Kou like a smoker who never cares about quitting until it bothers his spouse, lol.

When I was writing my previous post, I got different kind of "pointless" in my mind. All those problems and motivations you listed have sense to me. They have sense to high schoolers because this is kind of "problems" you usually have in school. They might be pointless to you, they might be pointless to me, but for some people they are not.

And okay, that's fine, I read shoujo that were about those (as you said earlier, there is a limit to what can shoujo school romance cover in terms of plot). How where they different from Ao Haru Ride? I felt progress. This is the type of "pointless" I have in mind when I describe AHR. Nothing really matters. Something happens but I don't feel it has any impact. I don't feel anything. Maybe I just don't get the subtleness of relationship between Futaba and Kou but it feels like I am watching two people going around in circles and that is everything but interesting. She smells his hair, she wants to be with him. Another episode, he tells her something old Kou wouldn't, she gives up. She sits close to him behind the window, oh, she wants to be with him. Oops, maybe not. And that's all that happens in 10 episodes. It's okay that Futaba hesitates. But this is all this anime is about. Futaba Thinks About Her (Non)Romance with Kou: The Animation.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun was the same when it came to heroine's feelings being like revolving door. But at least Kaibutsu-kun got interesting cast of side-characters that mattered to the plot and spiced things up when the main couple tried to realize which base they are on. Not only Makita, Murao and Blonde Guy Whose Name I Can't Remember Because This Is How Important He Is In This Anime not only can be summed up with two, maybe three adjectives, but they also don't really matter to the plot. They just sit there and organize school notes for Kou. Even Makita's so-called-rivalry is swept under the rug faster than you can say "Aoharuraido" and is more important to Futaba's on-going delusions of Kou than to Makita as a character. Sigh.

So yeah. If Ao Haru Ride is better in its manga incarnation, good for it. Anime didn't catch my heart at all.
CiaraSep 18, 2014 2:55 AM
Sep 17, 2014 6:52 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
In my eyes, every shoujo of this theme, (school/romance) is generic. I haven't read that many of this kind but at least Ao Haru Ride has a better presentation as a manga, at least, despite if it loses it's charm later.
Sep 17, 2014 3:21 PM

Jul 2012
Asseylum_ said:
despite if it loses it's charm later.

Watch episode 11. ;)
Oct 3, 2014 11:25 AM

Aug 2012
Yeah its generic but i love Shoujo and its cliche scenes .
Feb 3, 2015 2:08 PM

Aug 2013
Korrvo said:
Frankly I don't care at all if something is generic as long as it's execution makes up for it. Ao Haru Ride definitely succeeds in execution for what it lacks in originality.

This.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 23, 2015 1:27 AM

Apr 2014
parfaited said:
Yes it is which I actually wouldn't mind if the main characters weren't so god damn awful.

truth
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

296 by Kotori-chama »»
Apr 13, 8:47 AM

» Season 2?

Roni1703 - Apr 3

27 by v4lerria_a »»
Apr 5, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2014

377 by Fenyy »»
Feb 23, 1:25 PM

» What do you think of the anime?

7ohan - Nov 11, 2023

24 by earthborn »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

156 by n0t_4dy »»
Oct 30, 2023 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.