Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2014 8:36 AM

Jul 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
So...Shimada and Hirose again, huh. I honestly forgot about those two. I wonder how the movie will fare now that Shimada has entered the scene.

Basically Ueno's wreckage of a character is partly, if not mostly, due to wanting Ishida's feelings. I must say, I am quite disappointed with this chapter, but perhaps that is me expecting much grander things.

Seems like Ueno desires the past before the gang met Shouko (well, obviously shown from her jealousy).

[size=80]「誰もが変わらない。変われない。変わりたくない。
それでも人は、前に進むことができる。」
Aug 26, 2014 4:08 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Ueno was a bully mainly for being jealous?
Sigh... I still dislike this character, but somewhat less now.
Nishimiya still being the best character, overlooking anything mean Ueno has done.
Nishimiya looks very cute in that faker picture though...
Aug 26, 2014 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
Jealousy can cause people to do things...nothing new really. Maybe Ueno will figure something out soon.

Anyways, the drama was expected imo this chapter.
Aug 26, 2014 6:47 PM
Jun 2014
What the heck was she doing to him during the first page? And are we finally done with the character pages or is there still someone left to do?

Also I feel like nothing really developed out of any of these character pages I mean most of it was stuff that we kinda already knew or pretty much could figure out and the only things that were new ended up being irrelevant to character development.
omegaforce21Aug 26, 2014 6:52 PM
Aug 26, 2014 7:38 PM

Feb 2010
not long enough!!!
Aug 26, 2014 8:20 PM

Sep 2011
Basically Ueno has very deluded thinking. She liked him and she built up a whole bunch of delusions to maintain her thinking that she could get him to like her by getting rid of Nishimiya even though that never happened the first time. ( he did not like her even after Nishimiya left ) And now she thinks she can control him and his room to maintain her delusion that he will like her if he doesn't see Nishimiya. Instead of thinking rationally like making herself look nice or being nice might make him like her,no instead she has centered the whole twisted thinking on getting rid of Nishimiya but he is in danger of her trying to get rid of him too if he wakes up and still likes Nishimiya and at this point I would not put desperate acitons out of the picture.
Aug 26, 2014 9:52 PM

May 2013
Got to see Ueno's past. I still don't like her though.
Aug 27, 2014 12:48 AM

Oct 2009
Ueno needs help.
Aug 27, 2014 3:07 AM

May 2013
This chapter basically proves how a person can be selfish when it comes to love.

I know that Ueno is on the top of Shouya's bed but I didn't seen a glimpse of his face. Why?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 27, 2014 4:32 AM

Aug 2012
More of a reason to dislike her.
Aug 27, 2014 4:44 AM

Sep 2013
She needs help with her brain.
Aug 27, 2014 7:44 AM

Oct 2011
I can't see her way of doing things as really bad, it's more like she has a weak personality. She can't stand up for the things she likes and cares for.. she fears the rejection of the group/class and thus goes with the stream against her will. It doesn't make her a good person but at least her intentions were reasonable.
Aug 27, 2014 8:31 AM

Dec 2008
"If he's not going to choose me..then i'd much rather...He never wake up." Ueno... =_= I still really dislike her.
Aug 27, 2014 9:50 AM

Mar 2010
Getting tired of Ueno.
Aug 27, 2014 6:24 PM
Aug 2014
I didn't think a sixth grader could be that deluded about a crush.

"That faker! She wants to help Shoya out and then tell him about it!"

Seriously? I was expecting a little more....depth? Is that the right word? I didn't think that jealousy alone is what caused to become such an evil person.
Aug 27, 2014 8:06 PM

May 2012
Shoco's too nice.

7/10
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Aug 27, 2014 9:04 PM

Jul 2013
RiukixD said:
She can't stand up for the things she likes and cares for.. she fears the rejection of the group/class and thus goes with the stream against her will.

I think this makes her a good foil for Kawai in this respect.

Ueno's just an okay character for me. The only characters I really care about are Ishida and Nishimiya, maybe with Sahara a little bit. I definitely prefer Ueno to Mashiba and Kawai though.
Aug 29, 2014 5:07 AM

Oct 2011
I feel bad for Ueno but at the same time she's so rude to Nishimiya, it makes me really sad ;_;
Sep 2, 2014 4:55 AM

Oct 2013
wow didnt realise she pined over him to that degree....
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Sep 4, 2014 12:22 PM

Oct 2011
Nothing new, rerally. And when she said she would rather like him to never wake up I tought it was horrible! D:
But... did she kiss him? o_o
Sep 4, 2014 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
she is still my favourite
Sep 7, 2014 5:34 AM

Jul 2013
Getting tired of Ueno's shit.
Sep 25, 2014 8:05 AM

Jul 2008
So, Hirose and Shimada saved Ishida. Should've seen that one coming!
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 17, 2014 8:07 PM

Jun 2011
Way to keep it disgusting and creepy on that hospital bed, Ueno. Nothing she does at this point can be found justified or reasonable. There's nothing to defend here: She's not in elementary school anymore. She never "loved" Shouya, nor does she now. She's obsessed with the idea of him and wants him as a prize to keep her childhood fantasies alive. It would be a miracle for Sho-chan to repair this girl, but maybe not impossible.
Nov 26, 2014 6:17 AM

Sep 2012
Shouko is still being nice to Ueno after what she did to her, Ueno is really a bitch, no doubt about that. And she thinks Shouya will choose her, never bitch.

Touka said:
So, Hirose and Shimada saved Ishida. Should've seen that one coming!

Yeah, I never thought about that.
Dec 13, 2014 1:49 AM

Jun 2013
' You are nothing but a faker who is using her disability as a weapon in order to be a nice girl'
what the actual fuck?
Nov 2, 2015 5:24 AM
Jul 2018
Ueno is in need of psychiatrist.
Nov 26, 2015 10:54 AM

May 2015
Why is there a beautiful young girl as the picture for Hirose's contact information on Ueno's phone?
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
May 9, 2016 2:44 AM

Dec 2014
Anna555 said:
Why is there a beautiful young girl as the picture for Hirose's contact information on Ueno's phone?

That's Hirose's gf, you can see her (partially, i think) in chapter 42...

May 6, 2017 1:53 AM

Dec 2014
I wish Shouka show her expressions more
Sep 23, 2017 7:46 PM
Apr 2016
Yep, jealousy was a key motivation after all.
Aug 12, 2018 10:14 AM
Apr 2018
I don't care if jealousy was obvious or not, I liked this chapter. I don't like Ueno but at least I understand now she feels that way
Aug 29, 2018 5:48 PM

Jul 2010
' You are nothing but a faker who is using her disability as a weapon in order to be a nice girl'
what the actual fuck?

I know, right? She seems to think Shouko's some kind of manipulator who fishes for pity. Yeah, keep telling yourself that, girl. When has Shouko ever, EVER, used her disability as a weapon or an excuse to receive pity from people? NEVER, last I checked. And I should know, I'm autistic! But do I use it as a way to make people cater to me and do everything for me and fish for pity and sympathy? No, because I was raised better than that. Seriously, Ueno needs a MASSIVE reality check. That, or she needs to spend some time with actual disabled people more often and see how those so-called "fakers" actually act when confronted with that kind of attitude. If she were real, she would receive NO sympathy from anyone.
May 21, 2019 8:44 AM

Feb 2019
After reading this chapter, I still hate Ueno. What she did, how brutal it was, to Shoko and the things she said to her and her mother are just all overboard. But, through this chapter I at least UNDERSTAND her reasoning. Not that it's valid.

The first parts showing how she first liked Shoya and their initial interactions were cute and how frustrated she was trying to get his attention. So everything she did to Shoko initially she did just because Shoya seemed to enjoy it. This would explain why she was initially nice and then became a bully. And she's delusional too. She thinks Shoko likes Shoya and that Shoko is a threat to her. Love can really blind people and make them do crazy things. But fact is, while Shoya started to get bullied, Shoko was still being nice to him. While Ueno instead participated in bullying him, even though she liked him. How would Shoya know she liked him if that was what she did? Also, before Shoko came and after Shoko moved away, Shoya still didn't like her. So obviously, Shoko wasn't her biggest threat.

In the end, she just has a very weak personality. She's always trying to fit in, trying to get approval. She doesn't ever stand up for herself or for what she wants or likes or loves. This is so ironic since she's a pretty rough girl on the outside, but on the inside she's so fragile and depends on people's approval to live.

And the part where she said she'd rather see Shoya not waking up at all since he's not going to choose her. This might seem really evil and self-absorbed, but I think a lot of people feel that way. They'd rather not face reality if it can be avoided, wouldn't they? If we were in her position, like really really in her shoes, wouldn't at least a part of us feel that way? That we wouldn't want to ever have to face the fact that he wouldn't choose us?

She can't seem to move on from the past. She just wants to go back to the old pre-Shoko days, but those days were bad days, I'd say. Everything was so fake and shallow, no depth and no real friendship. And you can't just bring everyone back together.

After thinking about it further, I hate her less. I think she's a tragic character. She wants to be the person Shoya cares most about, to be there for Shoya, to be his special person. But she's not brave enough to go against the current of society. Add jealousy and envy and the fact that deep down she knows that what she did to him and in extension Shoko contributes to how Shoya most likely won't ever choose her, there's this feeling of hopelessness, frustration, and inevitability. There's a feeling that she can't do anything, and that's really sad when all she wanted was his love. I think she regrets what she did, and I think she really loves Shoya. Can't say I approve of what she's done and I won't ever approve, but I can understand her more and I think I can sympathise with her more.

Out of all the character chapters so far, I think this is the best one. Really explains Ueno as a character in-depth and makes us think about her actions, her feelings, and her line of thinking. Despite what she did, I do hope that she, Shoko, and Shoya can all become friends and that she'll find happiness and her own identity in the end.

Side note: Shoko is just too nice.
Sep 24, 2019 8:27 PM

Jun 2015
ueno acts on almost pure jealousy.. girl needs a psychiatrist
Feb 23, 2020 7:10 AM

Nov 2010
I understood a bit of Ueno's resentment of Nishinoya greating trouble to class, but in the end Ueno is similar as Kawai in terms that she's pushing blame to others. If she truly was strong and backbone as kid she would have stood against Shimada and not let Ishida to get bullied- or at least not abandoning him. Cause she abandoned him and she knows that in some level- but ultimately she can't face her quilt and turns to blame Nishinoya instead.

And her obsession with Ishida is getting close to yandere levels with this chapter. Talking how she is one who deserves Ishida (this is blatant lie- she abandoned him like others she doesn't deserve him at all) and how it would be better if he never woke up if he's not going to pick him.
Aug 13, 2021 2:34 AM

Apr 2017
Ah, the old "I bully him because I like him". And even more keeping bad people around when they only bring trouble and grief. More crazy pills.

One thing this chapter did pretty well, is highlight that Naoka and Shouya are pretty similar. Both have bullied others before, but while Shouya regrets his actions, confronts them head on and asks for forgiveness, Naoka would rather bully her victim further into pretending the bullying never happened, or if it did, it was the bullied one's fault (which is right in line with a narcissist, blaming someone for something that supposedly never happened, lol). Both Shouya and Naoka want their past to stay behind them but are incapable of letting go and are more caught up in how they feel rather than how the bullied one feels and if they even want them around.

Overall I'm even more disgusted with Naoka after this chapter, which is impressive as I didn't think I could dislike her more than I already did.
Girl really is reaching yandere levels. Next thing you know, she'll carve out his heart and put it on a rope to carry around her neck.
Oct 29, 2021 9:31 PM

Jan 2021
At this point She really needs help
Jan 27, 2023 8:32 PM
Apr 2022
Is Ueno kissing Ishida? He's unconscious? Isn't that rape? She's blushing and hovering over him on his bed. Like wtf?
Apr 19, 3:35 AM

Aug 2018
I'm surprised that there were only few Posts mentioning the kiss. Not only is she blocking the door to his room but is also kissing him when he can't consent. This girl is helpless

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 10 Discussion

LucarioDude - Nov 5, 2013

35 by Saiunknown »»
Apr 30, 5:48 PM

» Difference?

Mangahater - Apr 19

9 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 20, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 62 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maerow - Nov 15, 2014

291 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 61 Discussion

Ana - Nov 9, 2014

45 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 57 Discussion

Maerow - Oct 11, 2014

40 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 6:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.