Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 4, 2016 6:07 AM

Jul 2014
Loved this episode, it was so beautiful.
Sep 12, 2016 11:53 PM

Jan 2014
When I saw the preview for this episode at the end of episode 7, I was like O__O are we getting a dark Space Dandy episode ???

And yes we did. The land of the dead, who feel nothing at all, and try to occupy their lonely selves by proclaiming they are happy when deep inside they want to truly pass on

The ending was either Dandy deciding to stay dead to be together with the girl who was been alone for centuries. Or it was another different Dandy from another dimension coming back to the land of the dead. Seeing him again puts the biggest smile the girls face, as she gets to see more of the man she loves

I'm not sure which of the two explanations is the right one but this is a 10/10 episode. Season 1 when Dandy took care of that little girl, and seeing this really makes me glad that I'm watching this show

Not only can this show make you laugh your ass off one episode, it can explore dark and deep themes maturely without completely breaking the shows original theme ( which is of course comedy )

Season 2 of Space Dandy is absolutely incredible. <3

Sep 19, 2016 2:20 AM

Apr 2013
Episode on its own was interesting but what really stood out for me in this one was the beautiful art and music. Keep them coming!
Oct 7, 2016 3:07 PM

Jan 2014
One thing I don't get is that the girl fell in love with Dandy because he was not dead, but he decides to be dead so he can stay. Wouldn't that sort of beat the point? Is he simply visiting limbo in his sleep? Or does she still love him because he stays Dandy even when dead, and found the solution to the meaning off life by simply not caring about it?

Finally, she seems shocked when she hears his pulse on the cablecar. I assumed this was because it was getting weaker, because he was dying (which again goes against what she loves him for), but it might also mean that he isn't dead, which is why she suddenly starts thinking of way to send him back. Then why did she fell in love with him? It would also mean though, that the Dandy that stays is very much alive.

So many questions,..

DoctorWasabi said:

I'm not sure which of the two explanations is the right one but this is a 10/10 episode. Season 1 when Dandy took care of that little girl, and seeing this really makes me glad that I'm watching this show

Think about it, Dandy has always taken care of any girl/woman he has encountered. Ultimately he really is the good guy.

By the way, the way she was dressed, how Dandy straightened his tie and wore a suit, and how there were two "witnesses", makes me conclude that he actually marries her. Dandy marries a planet!
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Nov 30, 2016 2:33 PM

Jul 2015
Dande's Purgarotio
Feb 20, 2017 8:03 PM

Dec 2016
T-T-T-R-R-R-I-I-I-P-P-P-P-P-P-Y-Y-Y
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jul 1, 2017 6:38 PM
Jun 2015
that was beautiful
Sep 4, 2017 2:24 PM

Jan 2017
This is one of the best and weirdest episodes of this show. Must mention that there was a talking bike, a bunch of strange aliens that talk while singing just like a chorus... Ah! And also but not less weird the curious spirit of the Limbo planet fell in love with Dandy
Karasuno Fight!!!
Sep 30, 2018 9:33 AM

Nov 2017
Wow, this is definitely the best episode of the series so far. I always like the episodes that mostly focus on Dandy.
Jan 6, 2019 4:11 AM

Apr 2013
As I thought, this was one hell of a trippy episode.
Mar 19, 2019 6:50 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This was a strange episode, very different, sad, but also happy, mysterious it makes you question a lot of aspects of life as we know it. I love these unexpected deep episodes from Dandy's journal, you never know what you're getting, but also, you never complain about what you got.
The personification of that gloomy planet could also be a direct contrast to Earth-chan, only a lot sadder and down, however, she remains beautiful in every other aspect.
It's sad how QT and Mew never bothered to check up on Dandy in case something bad happened to him, turned out it was the worst thing somebody could expect, I wonder how long it took them till they realize what was up.
Jun 12, 2019 10:28 AM

Feb 2012
Dandy looking good with his hair down.
Did he chose to stay with the planet girl at the end ?

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Dec 1, 2019 9:00 AM

Mar 2018
That's more like it. I like my Dandy really weird and this was dark, melancholic, gorgeous and well....weird.
Jan 4, 2020 2:02 AM

May 2019
{disclaimer: this is my first forum post and i dont usually do these things because i get too shy to but this episode had all my love and i couldnt just move on with my life and not talk about it !! so sorry in advance if my wording is weird or if i dont make sense somewhere, im trying my best!!}

this episode is so beautifully written and visualized. im crying as i write this, i had to watch the whole episode three more times because of how entranced i was..

im gunna go off on a tangent with the whole meaning of this episode because why not:
limbo is a planet that consists of souls with no prior reason or importance on whether they either go down or up--hell or heaven. the definition of limbo is a "place or state of oblivion to which a person of thing are regarded as castaways or forgotten", and so somehow dandy belonged to this place. the flashback (is what i assume it is) towards the end (22:00) proves that he's been in limbo before--which is no surprise to us because dandy dies literally almost every episode. when dandy met ferdinand and the girl with the guitar the first thing he said was, "you're--" before getting interrupted. meaning he somehow knew them. however the crazy thing about this is that somehow when dandy dies his soul transfers straight to limbo. in roman catholic theology, dandy is sent to a place that's on the borderline of heaven and hell, where souls aren't condemned to punishment but also do not serve the pure goodness of what it takes to be in an eternal happiness (with God). it's a world with no sadness yet also no joy. anyways it's even crazier that limbo-chan sacrifices herself for dandy to get another chance at life. the scene i was talking about earlier that i said was a flashback was because in that scene we see limbo-chan wearing the same outfit she was wearing when she was talking about how her world came to be in 19:05. she was wearing that same seashell necklace that dandy is now wearing, so somehow one of his many versions of himself came to limbo and spent his time there and was given the necklace from limbo-chan. i dont seem to know the bigger story but thats what i got out of this episode. what gets me crying everytime is the fact that there was a time where limbo and dandy were happy together and im a real sucker for entities or godly figures falling for the most aloof character ever. it reminded me of ban and elaine from 7DS or chiyuki and decim from death parade. its just so sentimental and heartbreaking to see love pursued but never grasped.
edit: i forgot to mention that limbo is the place where the souls of babies who werent baptized and souls of people who died before their time go when they perish. kinda makes sense that we get to understand why limbo told him it wasnt his time yet and sent him back. really sweet
fairystielJan 28, 2020 2:49 AM
Mar 16, 2020 11:05 PM
Jul 2014
This episode reminds me a lot to Tenshi no Tamago
Apr 30, 2020 5:09 AM

Apr 2014
Dandy chose to stay dead

Love
themanualreader@proton.me
May 1, 2020 6:42 PM
Feb 2016
I'm so glad I finished my rewatch of
texhnolyze before I started season 2 of Space Dandy(which you definitely should watch,the first half is quite tedious,but it picks up like a train with a well crafted story towards the latter half), because they did a phenomenal job in explaining the concept of death,life,limbo which was the utopian worldwith no struggle and endless pleasure abound which is a key theme in texhnolyze.

The worldbuilding was amazing and the people trapped in their utopian purgatory debating what it means to be alive and that death is the endgoal of it was very thought provoking.

I freaking lost it when the guitar balled swelled up and the flamenco played during the chase scene of Dandy. I need a extended version of that.

It took a while for dandy to realize he was dead and was being brought to his funeral. When the alien ghost told him that he should accept his fate,die and join them in this limbo world with no struggles or worry he rightfully rejected it, because life isn't worth living without this struggle. That is what makes us human.

It reminded me a lot of the thought experiment by Robert Nozick where he put forth the hypothetical of there being a machine where you would be hooked up and let you experience whatever you want/desire,which was essentially the limbo utopian these people lived in. Not realizing that you would eventually get tired of it and it not really being a experience considering that you are taking all this info in just sitting there hooked up to the machine like a lifeless doll.

I've seen the reddit explanation of the last scene where dandy meets with the girl and she tells him what happened. I like to imagine that this happened after ep 1 where he got blown up when he told QT to activate the self detonation and this whole adventure being a thing because he refused to lie down and die.
May 1, 2020 9:01 PM

Apr 2014

I like to imagine that the whole Cowboy Bebop is a dream and that Spike died right here, as depicted, in a shootout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQXtsFFgr3w in episode 1 intro
themanualreader@proton.me
May 2, 2020 11:03 AM
Feb 2016
Darius said:

I like to imagine that the whole Cowboy Bebop is a dream and that Spike died right here, as depicted, in a shootout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQXtsFFgr3w in episode 1 intro

Same. Spike himself said that he felt like he died that day and everything after that is him dreaming. Watanabe is amazing.
Sep 20, 2020 5:24 PM

Sep 2017
Second trippy episode in this season, and I absolutely LOVED it

By far my favourite episode in the entire series, this surreal atmosphere and the dark, desperate and a bit crazy overall theme was a feast for my brain, the psycheledic vibes were strong with this episode
Nov 28, 2020 1:20 AM
Jul 2018
The episode summed up -

though the episode was beautiful and somewhat deep , gotta agree with the OP the choice of OSTs were great , I have to look it up later but does anyone know the name of the OST playing at the ending during the compilation of the concept art ?
The concept art at the end were great too , idk why but this episode kind of makes me feel sad
Jun 22, 2021 7:59 AM
Jan 2021
Best episode I have ever seen
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Sep 11, 2021 9:30 AM

May 2020
Great episode, animation wise and story wise.

I liked that they acknowledged the alternate dimensions theory, which is probably why Dandy is still around, even though he's been in several situations where he should be dead.

I also like the theory that someone posted in this thread about this not being Dandy and Limbo's first meeting. Personally, I think Dandy chose not to go to another dimension and came back to keep Limbo company.
Apr 20, 2022 4:12 AM

Aug 2018
I love this episode, it feels like a random story you took from a random dream that you're unable to tell after you woke up... and Dandy's "sleeping" position in the end of the episode was just... Dandy being Dandy xD
Oct 13, 2022 7:34 PM
Jul 2022
One of the most beautiful episode
Feb 8, 2023 10:55 PM
Oct 2017
Best Episode so far
Feb 14, 2023 6:10 AM

Jan 2009
dandy died this time and he choose to stay dead to be with the girl
May 8, 2023 4:18 PM
Mar 2022
Love how gloomy the theme for this episode was. Very good!
Jul 14, 2023 12:23 AM

Jun 2021
Weird chapter, this felt like a dream but na too much tenshi no tamago for a space dandy episode, i don't say that this episode was bad, on the contrary, i liked it, the music was great, super strange and atmospheric, also the viking reference of dandy in a boat through the river was clever well putted to show that dandy is in a ghost world
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Dec 7, 2023 5:49 PM

Jul 2021
Very weird episode but i like it. Planet girl was cute.

Mar 15, 6:11 AM
Aug 2017
that was fucking sick
Apr 12, 3:55 AM

Jul 2021
That was sooooo beautiful. Everything about the ep was perfect, the music, the art, the story between dandy and the planet girl. Also answers lots of questions. Dandy choosing to stay behind with the girl was soooo beautiful. Definitely one of the best eps i've ever seen.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

80 by thegoishady »»
Mar 22, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

123 by Alshai »»
Feb 28, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2014

94 by KikiTheDestroyer »»
Jan 21, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2014

139 by TrevRockOne »»
Jan 16, 3:53 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2014

191 by bubba460z »»
Dec 7, 2023 11:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.