Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 24, 2014 4:23 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was pretty upsetting, wasn't really expecting to see all that stuff happen to those poor kids :( I feel sorry for Joker too, clearly he didn't want to let the show happen either. Makes my skin crawl thinking about what the Baron did to all the children he "took in" :|

Overall, a decent episode. The scene where Sebastian "coddled" Ciel got a good giggle out of me :)
Did not miss Lizzy one bit.

Only 3 episodes left! I wonder if that'll be enough to finish this arc off properly.
Looking forward to next week's episode, hope that there'll be some background on Ciel's past. Poor Ciel :(
Aug 24, 2014 6:09 AM

Jul 2013
For crying out loud, why are you all putting the blame on Joker for following the Baron? This episode should have been enough to explain all of Joker's reasons to stay and obey him. Allow me to clarify all of them in a simple manner.

Reasons why Joker endures the pain of serving the crazy lord:

1. The circus

As stated in previous episodes, Baron Kelvin is the patron of Noah's Arc circus. In other words, he is the financial support needed for the circus to keep going.
This was a solid fact in the past, however, Beast stated in her private conversation with Joker before his departure that the circus can now make due on its own, which begs the question "Does the circus still require the Baron's aid?".
In my opinion, it does, due to the high number of performers, animals, props that will eventually require repair and so on (not to mention a certain someone that is tied to both the Baron and the circus). Even if the circus has a high income, I don't believe it would be enough to keep everyone well-fed and dressed all the time, thus the money from the philanthropist is required.

2. The children at the workshop

In this episode there was a scene in which Baron Kelvin indirectly threatens Joker that if he would not obey him, the children at the workshop would not be treated as kindly as they have been. The workshop is where Joker and co. were taken to when they were first picked up from the streets of East End, in order to be fitted with and get used to their new artificial limbs. Having been there himself, Joker fears what can happen to those, who have already suffered too much in the slums.
(This will play an important part in breaking some hearts later, depending on whether or not the studio does the ending correctly.)

3. Parental need and respect

Joker thinks of Baron Kelvin as the one and only adult, who offered him kindness. Having been abandoned due to being born without an arm, he did not know what parental love was until Kelvin came along and picked him and his friends off of the street.
Albeit this information hasn't been shown in dept in the anime, it is obvious after knowing that Joker was an orphan under the wing of a philanthropist.
This being said, opposing him would be the same as you opposing your parents, however, in his situation the fear of being abandoned is painfully strong. This fear is not unreasonable, since Joker sees how easily the baron toys with human lives. It doesn't have to do with him being simply afraid, rather, it's due to his traumatizing past and wishing for everyone else's safety that he continues obeying the lunatic that was once a caring father to him.
If you think about it, it is quite similar to Stockholm syndrome, although Joker himself never got beaten by the Baron.

Please, don't use the card "but you've read the manga" on me, because it's not impossible to reach these conclusions by watching the anime carefully.
Aug 24, 2014 2:44 PM

Dec 2012
That guy is a freak.
Aug 24, 2014 8:56 PM

Jul 2009
lament-flower said:
Inugirlz said:

I was thinking the same thing. There's no excuse for them to be doing such bad things just because they feel indebted to him. It would make more sense if he was holding them some how, maybe holding a loved one hostage or forcing them through some magical force/hypnotism. but as it is now it seems like they're just blindly following him out of some twisted guilt/admiration?

It hasn't been explained fully yet. You'll see why soon enough, most likely in the next episode.

In that case I'm praying for a good reason because feeling indebted to someone doesn't give you no choice!
Aug 24, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2009
Shadowwolfcat said:
For crying out loud, why are you all putting the blame on Joker for following the Baron? This episode should have been enough to explain all of Joker's reasons to stay and obey him. Allow me to clarify all of them in a simple manner.

Reasons why Joker endures the pain of serving the crazy lord:

1. The circus

As stated in previous episodes, Baron Kelvin is the patron of Noah's Arc circus. In other words, he is the financial support needed for the circus to keep going.
This was a solid fact in the past, however, Beast stated in her private conversation with Joker before his departure that the circus can now make due on its own, which begs the question "Does the circus still require the Baron's aid?".
In my opinion, it does, due to the high number of performers, animals, props that will eventually require repair and so on (not to mention a certain someone that is tied to both the Baron and the circus). Even if the circus has a high income, I don't believe it would be enough to keep everyone well-fed and dressed all the time, thus the money from the philanthropist is required.

2. The children at the workshop

In this episode there was a scene in which Baron Kelvin indirectly threatens Joker that if he would not obey him, the children at the workshop would not be treated as kindly as they have been. The workshop is where Joker and co. were taken to when they were first picked up from the streets of East End, in order to be fitted with and get used to their new artificial limbs. Having been there himself, Joker fears what can happen to those, who have already suffered too much in the slums.
(This will play an important part in breaking some hearts later, depending on whether or not the studio does the ending correctly.)

3. Parental need and respect

Joker thinks of Baron Kelvin as the one and only adult, who offered him kindness. Having been abandoned due to being born without an arm, he did not know what parental love was until Kelvin came along and picked him and his friends off of the street.
Albeit this information hasn't been shown in dept in the anime, it is obvious after knowing that Joker was an orphan under the wing of a philanthropist.
This being said, opposing him would be the same as you opposing your parents, however, in his situation the fear of being abandoned is painfully strong. This fear is not unreasonable, since Joker sees how easily the baron toys with human lives. It doesn't have to do with him being simply afraid, rather, it's due to his traumatizing past and wishing for everyone else's safety that he continues obeying the lunatic that was once a caring father to him.
If you think about it, it is quite similar to Stockholm syndrome, although Joker himself never got beaten by the Baron.

Please, don't use the card "but you've read the manga" on me, because it's not impossible to reach these conclusions by watching the anime carefully.

...hmm how should i put this...these reasons are much better than the original assumed reason (#3 on ur list. basically the idea that he raised them/he's their parental figure blah blah blah) HOWEVER these reasons cannot justify in any way how you can continue following a psychopath who does such horrible things to children.

reason #2 seems a little off to me though because last time i checked the baron is an old man in a wheelchair while Joker and the circus members are all young athletic badasses who can assassinate like no tomorrow. If they really cared about the hostages they would simply save them. wtf is wheelchair man gonna do about it?

but obviously this is an anime and it's meant for entertainment purposes and it's not real life. But you can't defend Joker's character. He's in the fault just as much as that old man. In fact he's worse cuz he actually SUPPLIES the kids to him and then does nothing about it while feeling guilty. I like Joker but only when he's far away from these evil things being happy go lucky in the circus and when i see him feel guilty cuz at least i know he's not some sadist.

If this happened in real life could u still ask why people would blame Joker? Please! Beast was trying to offer him and everyone a way out and he shot her down. What do they plan to do? live this way forever? Evil is turning a blind eye to the 'other' (the kids in this case). and that's exactly what Joker's doing.
Aug 25, 2014 1:36 AM

Aug 2014
Everything is going so fast, but this anime is still wonderful.
I liked this episodes ending, Ciel is always so cute when he has that appearance.
Aug 25, 2014 7:31 PM

May 2011
What a reminder of how sick some people in the series can be. Is it any wonder people like those who popular the circus exist. People who clearly don't do these deeds easily but feel they must because someone else has some hold over them. It will be a pleasure to see Kelvin beaten down.
Aug 25, 2014 10:33 PM

Jun 2013
wut. did he eat the lobster tail first instead of the meat .. . .?
Aug 25, 2014 10:52 PM
Aug 2011
Worst circus show ever! That old bastard needs to die as soon as possible.
Some scenes looked gorgeous while others were so A-1 derpy.
Aug 25, 2014 11:16 PM

Jun 2009
Inugirlz said:

reason #2 seems a little off to me though because last time i checked the baron is an old man in a wheelchair while Joker and the circus members are all young athletic badasses who can assassinate like no tomorrow. If they really cared about the hostages they would simply save them. wtf is wheelchair man gonna do about it?

but obviously this is an anime and it's meant for entertainment purposes and it's not real life. But you can't defend Joker's character. He's in the fault just as much as that old man. In fact he's worse cuz he actually SUPPLIES the kids to him and then does nothing about it while feeling guilty. I like Joker but only when he's far away from these evil things being happy go lucky in the circus and when i see him feel guilty cuz at least i know he's not some sadist.

If this happened in real life could u still ask why people would blame Joker? Please! Beast was trying to offer him and everyone a way out and he shot her down. What do they plan to do? live this way forever? Evil is turning a blind eye to the 'other' (the kids in this case). and that's exactly what Joker's doing.

How would they save them? Kill the Baron and return a bunch of doped up, traumatized, kidnapped kids to their parents under cover of night? Cool, now you've got a hundred future sociopaths on the loose.

Or kill the Baron then try to support 100 doped up, traumatized, kidnapped kids on a 3-ring budget. Nah

Even if the Baron was arrested, he could easily lay the blame on Joker and Co. since they did the actual kidnapping

It's all psychological manipulation and these things do happen in real life (like Stockholm syndrome for example, child prostitution, sweatshops and tons of cases on Discovery ID). It's too easy to say "he could just..." from the outside, that's oversimplifying the situation.

*I think some of the kids left at the workhouse are siblings of some of the circus members too (not sure where I got that from though), makes the web a little more sticky. Beast's way out was "forget the kids, let's run away together" which Joker was not going to do.
Aug 26, 2014 6:06 AM
Aug 2014
I cried because of the cliff hanger right there. I wanted to die xD in the not so literal sense. I want episode 8 ASAP.
Aug 26, 2014 2:26 PM

Jul 2009
kelken said:
Inugirlz said:

How would they save them? Kill the Baron and return a bunch of doped up, traumatized, kidnapped kids to their parents under cover of night? Cool, now you've got a hundred future sociopaths on the loose.

Or kill the Baron then try to support 100 doped up, traumatized, kidnapped kids on a 3-ring budget. Nah

Even if the Baron was arrested, he could easily lay the blame on Joker and Co. since they did the actual kidnapping

It's all psychological manipulation and these things do happen in real life (like Stockholm syndrome for example, child prostitution, sweatshops and tons of cases on Discovery ID). It's too easy to say "he could just..." from the outside, that's oversimplifying the situation.

*I think some of the kids left at the workhouse are siblings of some of the circus members too (not sure where I got that from though), makes the web a little more sticky. Beast's way out was "forget the kids, let's run away together" which Joker was not going to do.

Please they have many options, obviously its not just black and white and they can't do some grand rescue but it's still better than what they're doing now. If they had any true sympathy they would stop him. 1 they could stop the kidnapping altogether or save the kids BEFORE they got doped up and 2 even after they're doped up returning them home is still better than abandoning them. if your child was kidnapped and this happened to them are you telling me you wouldn't want them back and would prefer to let them be played around with as toys until they died miserable deaths?

And they don't have to actually kill the baron to save the kids either. I don't expect them to be able to do that since he is their saviour.

No one said saving people would be easy but its better than continuing what they're doing in guilt.
Aug 27, 2014 9:01 AM

Jul 2013
Inugirlz said:
kelken said:

Please they have many options, obviously its not just black and white and they can't do some grand rescue but it's still better than what they're doing now. If they had any true sympathy they would stop him. 1 they could stop the kidnapping altogether or save the kids BEFORE they got doped up and 2 even after they're doped up returning them home is still better than abandoning them. if your child was kidnapped and this happened to them are you telling me you wouldn't want them back and would prefer to let them be played around with as toys until they died miserable deaths?

And they don't have to actually kill the baron to save the kids either. I don't expect them to be able to do that since he is their saviour.

No one said saving people would be easy but its better than continuing what they're doing in guilt.

Oh boy, I wonder how people will be defending Ciel when the end of this arc comes. -.-
I'm sure all the fans will be defending him all over the place, while Joke here's getting a hard time.
Allow me to only say, before we put a "fin" to it, that when you are psychologically manipulated, all those "many options" are nowhere in sight. In this case, kudos to Beast for breaking from that "spell" so similar to the Stockholm syndrome.

In the end, when something wrong has been done, everybody's guilty.
"It's not only the child's fault for eating the whole cake. The one, who gave the whole cake to the child, is also to blame", as they say.
Joke is indeed guilty in his own way, but in this case the Baron's fault is clearly greater. This being said, don't blame Joker without considering his circumstances.
Aug 27, 2014 6:49 PM

Dec 2009
Shadowwolfcat said:

Oh boy, I wonder how people will be defending Ciel when the end of this arc comes. -.-
I'm sure all the fans will be defending him all over the place, while Joke here's getting a hard time.
Allow me to only say, before we put a "fin" to it, that when you are psychologically manipulated, all those "many options" are nowhere in sight. In this case, kudos to Beast for breaking from that "spell" so similar to the Stockholm syndrome.

"It's not only the child's fault for eating the whole cake. The one, who gave the whole cake to the child, is also to blame", as they say.
Joke is indeed guilty in his own way, but in this case the Baron's fault is clearly greater. This being said, don't blame Joker without considering his circumstances.

I think all of us who have read the manga up to date, or at least past the arc, will be laughing at those who foolishly believe there will be a happy ending for those kids.. All I'm going to say to you my little non-manga readers, there is going to be no mercy. And, read the manga from chapter 1 up to date.

I don't know how many will try to defend him, not many I'd assume given that he shows no regrets for what he ordered Sebby to do, and that is another reason why I love our little evil nobleman. But I don't doubt there will be some who will once they see Ciel's trauma take effect.

Ah, there's a good quote from Jack McCoy that fits here but by Gaia I can't remember it.. Either way, circumstances mean nothing, he knew what he did was wrong but still did it anyway. He had every opportunity to walk away and report the crime, but chose not to. Should we ignore those children, those officers, and innocent people who they have killed. No. They should be punished to the fullest extent of the law... Something like that I'd believe he'd say.

And while i'm at it. "The right thing done for the wrong reasons, is still the wrong thing." -Phoebe Hallowell. (Funny, I can remember her quote but I can't remember McCoy's) I know it has nothing to do with this arc, but I couldn't resist quoting it.
lovelyphantomAug 27, 2014 6:55 PM

Aug 28, 2014 12:44 AM

Sep 2009
well the little circus act was certainly unexpected.

(poor snake though.)

i took a look at the manga after this to see if the anime was just doing a weird job of adapting (however unlikely that was since it's only 10 episodes to begin with), but wow. the pacing from here on out seems so unnatural. it definitely dampened my appreciation for this arc.
Aug 29, 2014 6:27 PM

Jul 2009
Shadowwolfcat said:
Inugirlz said:

Oh well the arc isn't done and I didn't read the manga so I don't know the full story yet. But if they're doing it because they've actually been brainwashed that is a different story and more forgiving. (Although such things don't happen so flawlessly in real life...I think)
Aug 31, 2014 11:28 AM

Oct 2012
Oh that was terrible. The crazy guy doesn't even understand what nasty things he is doing. I guess the kids (and Joker and the rest) had some piece of brain taken out (the scars on heads), it made them unable to understand what they are doing. yuck
Still I did expect something like that. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to the whole story.
This ep. proves once again this anime is a masterpiece.
Aug 31, 2014 10:45 PM

Jun 2009
Inugirlz said:
Shadowwolfcat said:

Oh well the arc isn't done and I didn't read the manga so I don't know the full story yet. But if they're doing it because they've actually been brainwashed that is a different story and more forgiving. (Although such things don't happen so flawlessly in real life...I think)

Seriously, that's what I said....Psychological manipulation~brainwashing geez
Sep 3, 2014 12:24 PM

Oct 2009
Oh dam..I forgot how dark this can be..dam this is good!
Sep 3, 2014 10:53 PM

Aug 2014
This is so good...
This series is DARK as diarrhea! And... I LOVE it!
Nov 3, 2014 7:15 PM

May 2012
Damn those children, that was pretty fucked but well quite liked the episode and development in general! Let's see what happens next though.
Apr 23, 2015 5:18 PM

Jul 2013
damn that mummy-looking dude is fucked in the head. But not as fucked as Joker and the other circus peeps who keep on obeying his sick-ass orders. Why? Because they owe him? I'm sure there's more to it than that.
Nov 10, 2015 8:38 AM

Jan 2012
what a sick pedo.

Jan 28, 2016 11:37 AM

Sep 2014
That rotten perverted man should die. Just kill him already Ciel.
Aug 11, 2016 1:20 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, I can't believe how insane that guy is!

And those poor children, dying just because he wants entertainment! that's horribly cruel!

The end with the recreated bit where Ciel suffered greatly and those flashbacks were so horrible as well! what a sick man.
Jul 29, 2017 12:57 AM
Jun 2013
Man this show sure has a lot of child abuse be it filler or not. This was just grusome and I feel bad for joker. It's clear he doesint want this. At first I thought the kids were hypnotized, but closer look seems lobadomize.
Sep 17, 2017 12:57 PM

Jun 2016
I swear everyone in the circus are so fucking kind, but the person who took care of them or "who they owe their lives" is a fucking lolicon. Jesus. And he's making them feel bad for yeah he's telling them they're not appreciative for saving their lives. Fucksake. I just want to shoot him in the head.

Poor Joker. Poor everyone in the circus.

Ugh. I love that guy who loves Beast so much and jeez that Snake. Hahaha. He's a parseltongue. Yep.

Aww, Prince Soma took care of Ciel all night. What a cutie! I want to give him a hug. :3 I feel you, Agni. Hahaha.

"Say "Ah"" - Sebby Goddamnit, Ciel. You shouldn't have told him to stop. Goddamnit. Goddamnit. I'll take your place just to be asked by Sebby to say 'Ah'. Lmao.

AAAAAAAAAAH! ELIZABETH! HISASHIBURI, MY BABY! I'M SOOOO HAPPY SEEING HER AND THE SERVANTS. HAHAHAHA. OHMYGOD. FINNY, BARD, AND TANAKA-SAN CROSSDRESSING. LMFAOOOO. GLORIOUS!

Ugh. Can't get over that fucking lolicon. And those kids who performed the circus and JUST FUCKING DIED JUST LIKE THAT. I JUST SCREAMED "WHAT THE FUCK!". FUCK THAT GUY. And he's the guy who did THAT to Ciel? How fucked up can you get, asshole?!?! I'm so pissed. I WANT HIM DEAD!

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 1, 2020 6:00 AM

Mar 2019
Idk man, I love Joker so much. And even tho I hate their "father" I still felt so awkward when Ciel threw the glass and said those words. Idk why, Im always like this. I'm too soft, smh.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 6, 2:05 PM

Nov 2017
The real circus begins! 🎪
Apr 29, 10:46 AM

May 2015
This count is one of the most rotten being who exist in the world.
May 6, 8:15 PM

Aug 2019
This episode is messed up and seriously disturbing. The guy is a sick person.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2014

150 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 11:35 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

131 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 11:08 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

98 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

93 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

70 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 6:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.