Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 18, 2014 11:58 PM

Jun 2013

What's Your First Light Novel?

What it's about
This is a thread to let everyone know what your first Light Novel was!
This is a question that is asked by many, and is answered by more~

Some things to keep in mind about the thread are...

1. If you can, please post a cover of your favorite Light Novel!
It'll make the post that much more fun to read~

2. You can add any type of criteria you want to your entry, but below is a nice little format if you're having trouble with what to put~

LN Entry Form
[*img][/*img]
Name of the Light Novel: [Link + Name]

RanobeSep 4, 2016 6:56 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 19, 2014 1:22 AM

May 2013

The first Light Novel I ever read was "IS:Infinite Stratos". I stumbled upon the anime and instantly fell in love with its characters and story. I have since read 2 volumes and have almost completed the 3rd. I realize that I still haven't gotten past the first season yet as far as the LNs go but its still a series very near a dear to my heart!
Aug 19, 2014 1:51 AM
Mar 2012

Mine was Vampire Hunter D. Back then, I didn't know it was a light novel and read it like any other book. Though this was not the series that got me into reading light novels, it was still a really great read.
Aug 19, 2014 6:08 AM
May 2013

My first Light Novel was "Highschool DxD". 2 Years ago after the first Season of the Anime finished i was curious on how the anime got farther than the Manga and discovered the existence of the LN. Back then not much was translated though....just 3-4 Volumes. I started the LN from the very beginning because i noticed that there were many things left out in the Anime and after i finished it i was so hooked on it that i started reading many more LNs since then.^^
Aug 19, 2014 9:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013

My first LN was actually OreImo, read it right after S2 finished as the scanlations were just coming to a close at that point in time. Really wanted to know how it was gonna end... and well then I eventually found out and it was kinda... yeah >.>
Aug 20, 2014 3:15 AM

Oct 2013

My First LN was Absolute Duo though i've only read 2 volumes of it so far which was only about 1-2 months ago had always wanted to read light novels but never got around to it before though now i've started a few others as well.:D.
Aug 20, 2014 1:57 PM

Jan 2013

After rewatching the anime once again. I really wanted to know the rest of the story, and after a few searches I found the first volume translated to read. Now I'm buying the volumes, currently at the 6th one, finally on new stuff that didn't existed on the Anime, and I love it.
CrimsonSilver4Aug 20, 2014 2:20 PM
Aug 20, 2014 2:15 PM
Jun 2011

The anime was great, and I wanted to start reading light novels. I wanted to give a try to the source material-wasn't disappointed.
Aug 20, 2014 8:43 PM

Feb 2014

Mine was Ookami to Koushinryou, aka Spice and Wolf. It left me an empty void after watching the anime adaption. Really wanted to witness the two's remaining journey so I decided to read this LN. Still my favorite LN to this day with it's charming characters and the realistic medieval world setting.
AlenciaAug 20, 2014 8:56 PM
Aug 21, 2014 8:35 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012

The very first light novel that I've started reading was Toaru Majutsu no Index. It's a really long novel with lots of characters. There's so much scientific and religious symbolism used in the novel, and the author is also good at writing metaphorical statements on various situation and characters. Kamijou Touma is still one of my most favorite male protagonists ever.

Unfortunately, I'm still at a standstill at this great novel as I'm only at volume 11, but I've already vowed to myself that I will definitely finish reading the entire series and move on to New Testament. I keep encountering too many good novels hence I get sidetracked and start reading something else along the way.

First light novel I've read is completely different to the first light novel I've completed so I'll save that for another time~
Aug 22, 2014 5:39 AM

Aug 2013

I think Campione! was my first light novel. To be honest I'm not too sure because when I first started I kinda got addicted and picked up one after another immediately. Surprisingly I put this on hold until now and didn't caught up with it for a long time.. if I'm not mistaken I've only read 5 volumes. I know it's weird since I'm up to date with Seirei Tsukai no Bladedance, Date A Live etc. It's not like I don't like it.. I just got distracted and didn't get a chance to head back into it. The story is great.. and also after watching the anime for this once again harden my resolve to always read the light novels before watching any anime adaption. LOL.

How I wish I could read japanese. :b
Sep 24, 2014 9:22 PM

Aug 2013

I first started to become interested in Light Novels as I heard Oreimo season 2 was about to end at around the same time as its Light Novel counterpart. Although Oreimo wasn't the first Light Novel that I read, but Seirei Tsukai no Kenbu. It caught my interest quickly and soon I became in love with Light Novels! I'm a slow reader and only up to date with Seirei Tsukai no Kenbu and Oregairu. There are so many Light Novels that I want to read, but I can't really find the time because of dumb and lazy excuses.
Sep 24, 2014 10:25 PM

Sep 2012

Zero no Tsukaima

Well, I can't say I liked it. When I first started watching anime, Znt was one of the first I seen, and I wanted to read about the original. Reading it was a pain, but I continued for a long time for the sake of completing it. I wanted to read until the end.
Unfortunately, the author died on us while trying to write the end. RIP.

I began reading Index after that, and since then I keep reading novels.
Sep 24, 2014 10:25 PM

Nov 2012

Pretty sure it was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya since the LN is licensed, the LN is famous and I liked the anime well enough to buy the LN. tbh, I don't remember liking it very much and I still haven't bought Volume 10. My first fan translated was Baccano though and I still love it!
Sep 26, 2014 5:43 AM

Jun 2014

I first started out LNs as i found out that there was a Mondaiji-Tachi LN ongoing. The anime abruptly stopped and i really loved it, so i decided to take my first step towards LNs!
Sep 26, 2014 6:22 AM

Apr 2014

My first light novel was Sword Art Online. The anime was great and i was searching for news about season 2 and i stumbled across Gun Gale online, so i searched it and found SAO Light Novels. i liked it so much that i read about 5 volumes in 1 day lol.
Oct 10, 2014 8:16 AM

May 2014

My first novel was Utsuro no Hako to Zero no maria. At that time it was the best story I had read at that time. Even though I only read 4 parts (decided to wait for vol 7 in order to complete remaining story at once). Now it is still in my top 3 favorite story list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2014 6:12 AM

Apr 2012
gekkou
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Nov 5, 2014 2:23 AM

Oct 2009

First novel: Sword Art Online - scanned by BakaTsuki :D
Nov 27, 2014 12:03 PM

Oct 2012
The fist light novel I read was hard to remember… I kinda started a whole bunch near the same time, but I'm pretty sure it was either Sword Art Online or Campione!

Sword Art Online, I loved the Anime first of Season 1 so much I wanted to know more and stumbled upon Baka-Tsuki and it's almighty Light Novels. Around that time I saw Campione! on the side bar of Baka-Tsuki, and just wanted to know how different the anime was to the original story.

Campione! and Sword Art Online, are still among my favorite Light Novels, and series by far.

Nov 28, 2014 11:39 PM

Apr 2013
Well, I can always answer here as well~

In my case, first LN was Gosick from Sakuraba Kazuki.
Why-> I choose that LN because I enjoyed the anime and most importantly, because the main character Victorique was one of my favorite characters at that time ( she become my fav after reading the LN btw). I intended for a good while to start reading LNs, so I though it would be a good motivation to read a LN with a main character that I liked.

And yes, I enjoyed it, I especially appreciated that all the character (including Victorique) were better in the LN than the anime, and that the end of the story was different and far more credible than the anime adaptation.

Finished? -> yes. Although I finished that story more than one year after starting it, I finished the whole 13 volumes (9 main series +4 of GOSICKs) in June 2013. I plan to read the first sequel (GOSICK RED) in two week, and buy and read GOSICK BLUE coming afterward next year. looking forward to it, as Sakuraba Kazuki sensei's writing is enjoyable. Plus a 21 years old Victorique/Kazuya is nice.

ZefyrisNov 29, 2014 4:38 AM
Mar 14, 2015 5:13 AM
Jul 2018
First light novel huh...

I think it was either Tobira no Soto or Mushi to Medama...actually it was probably Tobira no Soto....

Anyways I came across it and read it as if it was a normal novel, and then I was told it was a light novel by a friend. The first volume was good, but now I am reminded that i haven't finished the series yet...
removed-userAug 20, 2016 8:51 PM
Jun 6, 2015 9:09 AM

Dec 2014
Chrome Shelled Regios. It's also my currently reading LN. I'm a beginner on reading LN. Actually, I try to aviod those LN which are still publishing and/or even adapted to airing anime or manga.
Jun 9, 2015 4:10 AM

Nov 2014
My first LN is Oregairu. I really like Oregairu anime,so when i waited for the second season i tried to read the LN.. and it's come i really like the LN too.. still waiting for vol. 11. ( waiting to be translated) and this LN became my first lead to another great LN series
Jun 9, 2015 5:09 PM

Apr 2014
SliverThorn said:

I first started out LNs as i found out that there was a Mondaiji-Tachi LN ongoing. The anime abruptly stopped and i really loved it, so i decided to take my first step towards LNs!

Same for me.
Jun 18, 2015 6:46 PM

Oct 2010

Mushi to Medama for me. I still recall that I asked someone to recommend me a light novel that has no anime counterpart.

This was followed by a masterpiece light novel called Mimizuku to Yoru no Ou which I deemed the Spirited Away of the Light Novels translated online.
Jun 20, 2015 2:32 AM

Oct 2013
SAO, when i watched the anime i really liked the first half but in the second it just become crap and i was wondering if the problem was in who adapted or in the novel and went to check it, to my surprise the novel was even worse than the anime, so who adapted really made a miracle
Jul 3, 2015 11:51 PM
Nov 2010
My first ln was Nisio Isins Kizumonogatari (online trans) which I printed on my laser printer and took on holiday to read while fishing! I picked it because I have been waiting for the anime adaptation for a long time, and I've read thousands (really!) of western books and ran out of entertaining stories.
I loved this story and it will be special to me for a long time.

My favourite was Kara no Kyoukai The Garden of Sinners, which trumps anything (yes anything) I've ever read before. I feel sad I'm unlikely to read such a thing again.
Jul 9, 2015 12:57 PM

Oct 2014
I started reading light novels only few months ago so it's easy to recall the first ln i read. It was Re: Monster. At first i was pretty sceptical about light novels, and i if i wanted to read something i looked for manga.

But everything changed after Fire nation atta........... ugh wait, wrong line....

But everything changed after i stumbled upon Re: monster manga and scanlators pace couldn't keep up with my growing interest in this manga. So, after hesitating a little, i started reading ln.

And well, after Re: Monster ln, few other followed and it just happened that recently i have been neglecting new manga and anime releases because of ln ;-D that's my story.
Aug 8, 2015 10:28 AM
Mar 2015
HIGHSCHOOL DxD

My first light novel for the right reasons. Well the LN took a different turn from what I expected but it was more fun.

That time I had just started watching anime. And I found light novels. So I started going for good light novel anime.

Hehe then I hit Sword Art Online, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Spice and Wolf. So it went on from there. After I finished with the major ones. I started reading the non adapted and great ones.

I reached the best LN series I have read till date- HakoMari ( and Mushoku Tensei )

Now I am reading Xianxia and good ol' Jap LN
Aug 9, 2015 12:24 PM

Apr 2013
HaXXspetten said:

My first LN was actually OreImo, read it right after S2 finished as the scanlations were just coming to a close at that point in time. Really wanted to know how it was gonna end... and well then I eventually found out and it was kinda... yeah >.>

This
Blackfire94 said:

My first Light Novel was "Highschool DxD". 2 Years ago after the first Season of the Anime finished i was curious on how the anime got farther than the Manga and discovered the existence of the LN. Back then not much was translated though....just 3-4 Volumes. I started the LN from the very beginning because i noticed that there were many things left out in the Anime and after i finished it i was so hooked on it that i started reading many more LNs since then.^^

And this!

I started reading them in parallel lol ;P
As of 27/7/14 I have decided trap anime Sword Art Online II has more appeal than Mahouka.
Aug 11, 2015 1:31 AM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015

First light novel I've ever read would have to be Psycome. At first, I thought nothing more of LN's to be just regular chapter books like any other kind of book out there. I used to find them a bit boring, due to the very few amount of illustrations/art used in the novel itself. Therefore; I was wrong. I find the art to light novels a whole lot better than the manga itself. How I came across Psycome was just by browsing through random photos of cute female characters in art with hoods on. As such, Renko popped up for me in the image results about a long while back. Thus; that is how I began reading more and several other kinds.
Sep 21, 2015 5:23 PM

Feb 2008

Mushoku Tensei
First I found the manga with only 10 chapters, but I wanted more so I switched to the Light Novel version. I read Volume 1-24 (ending) in two weeks until today... omg I already missed it !
Sep 23, 2015 10:11 PM
Apr 2015

Hidan no Aria
Found this while I was scrolling through the comments section of the show. Some guy said the anime was based on a LN and was kind enough to paste a link to BT. Then and there did I find a new kind of medium of Japanese media. I kinda got pissed when Hidan no Aria got licensed since I haven't finished reading it. It got posted back by BT again recently. Hehe
Oct 30, 2015 6:02 PM

Dec 2007
LunyRed said:

The very first light novel that I've started reading was Toaru Majutsu no Index.

[center][center]

First one I took up as well. I originally planned to read it just to pass the time during the lulls while at work, but I quickly learned that I read too fast and when I finally caught up I read..

Nearly every other recommended novel on Baka Tsuki... ;;

Now I'm a maniac and hunt web novels too.
Nov 6, 2015 4:48 AM

May 2015

Oregairu

I watched the first season of the anime while it was airing and enjoyed it quite a bit. The characters, especially Hachiman, were likable and the show had an interesting way of showing the social life of a loner.

But after a while the anime moved to the back of my head and I forgot about it until the second season was announced.

After watching the first couple of episodes of Zoku, I enjoyed it so much that I decided to finally start reading my first light novel, and it did not disappoint.

Since it's written from Hachiman's perspective, you would also see his (most of the time hilarious) thoughs/monologues, and the numerous references to other anime/manga/video games made it even better.

I was trying to get into light novels for quite some time. Some of my favorite anime come from light novels, and I plan on reading all of them eventually. (Durarara!!, Baccano!, Monogatari, Fate/Zero, Spice and Wolf)

I am currently at the start of volume 8 and also started reading HakoMari (finished vol. 1)
AlveronNov 6, 2015 4:59 AM
Jan 5, 2016 8:06 AM

Dec 2015
The first light novel i read was "Iris on rainy days". My brother had downloaded it and it had only one volume so i thought why not give it a try. It was better than i expected to be, this led to start other light novels such as "The great archer and the vanadis"," The empty box and the zeroth maria","psycho love comedy" and so on

DukedesmondJan 5, 2016 8:13 AM
Jun 11, 2016 11:19 AM

Jun 2012

"Mahouka Kouko no rettosei volume 8 - reminiscense chapter". This is where it all began with me two months ago. I feel enchanted to the MC whose so much OP. LOL.
Followed by this weakest team :

I'm a big RPG online player so I fell in love with this gritty story.

I'm a fan of every fantasy and dark stories.
Jun 21, 2016 8:41 PM

May 2014
The first LN that I have read was Spice and wolf. Yes it was quite long with 17 volumes but Holo and Lawrence's jabs and banters was really enjoyable to read.

Sorry for big pic though.
Argraagre_RemJul 26, 2016 10:16 PM

"MOE is LOVE, LOLI is LIFE, FLAT is JUSTICE"

Jul 26, 2016 12:38 PM

Feb 2012

Like many others, my first light novel was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I can't remember how exactly it found its way into my hands, but what I can say is that it enlightened me to a preferred form of anime/manga storytelling.

Since then, I've read more books than I ever have—from official releases to fan translations, to even wider Japanese literature (Osamu Dazai, Haruki Murakami, etc.)

There's been some truly fantastic stories that I wouldn't have experienced otherwise, so thank you very much Nagaru Tanigawa—now please finish volume 12!
AstarJul 27, 2016 12:41 AM
Jul 28, 2016 10:07 AM

Jan 2015

My first Light Novel was Kumo desu ga, Nani ka?
I remember reading the first chapter of the manga, and I absolutely wanted to read more! So I started reading the Light Novel (well Web Novel but it's the same).
I still am reading it, and it keeps getting better and better. I want to try to read other Light Novels, but I always feel lazy. Lately I started reading the first chapter of Clockwork Planet, still have to read the second chapter, but it's very long and I always get distracted :/
Jul 28, 2016 1:18 PM

Aug 2015

Overlord, all thanks to the anime, it introduced me to the world of web & light novels. :3
Aug 28, 2016 7:48 PM
Aug 2011
Blackfire94 said:

same, but in my case i read after second episode
Sep 3, 2016 4:56 AM

Feb 2015

I wanted to read it because there was no news of an adaptation yet, and I'm pretty impatient so I tried to read on my PC, but it's kinda hard so I just ended up buying it.
Not only did it rekindle my love for reading, I also discovered I'm a very fast reader (I finished it in less than a day...).
Have been hooked on LN's ever since, although I do try to buy them when they're available in English because I have some trouble reading long texts on my PC. And so, my LN collections keeps increasing! (I may need another shelf...)
With this amazing work of Nisio Isin (a lot better than the adaptation imo), I'm now an avid reader/buyer of LN's
Leonardo_senpaiSep 3, 2016 5:00 AM
Sep 11, 2016 12:37 PM

Aug 2010
Over1ord said:

Overlord, all thanks to the anime, it introduced me to the world of web & light novels. :3

Same here.

I read Vol. 4 to 10 in like 10 days i think or less. Cant wait for Vol. 11 :D
''If you cannot be a poet, be the poem.'' - David Carradine

Yabas~
Sep 25, 2016 6:09 PM

Oct 2012

Name: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
I started reading it back in 2013 and it made me want to start reading other LNs. I always liked to read, so I became attached to light novels really fast, I'm studying japanese now because there's a lot of LNs I want to read that don't have a translation yet.
Sep 28, 2016 2:31 AM
May 2015

The first Light Novel that I've read is "Hataraku Maou-sama!". After finishing watching the Anime, I immediately longed to know more of the story.
Oct 2, 2016 11:35 AM
Oct 2016
Hmmm The first one for me was OverLord :) Such a good story line!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » [CLOSED] ►► LNA Official Card Shop ◄◄ ( 1 2 )

Ranobe - Aug 2, 2016

70 by solace »»
Dec 25, 2020 12:15 AM

» Help me find the title of this LN

alysho10 - May 31, 2019

0 by alysho10 »»
May 31, 2019 8:18 AM

» manga which feels like your reading a light novel

foscor70 - Feb 3, 2018

1 by -daijoubu- »»
Mar 31, 2019 11:50 AM

» Light Novel

NatsukazeAi - Dec 29, 2018

1 by pedoropedoro »»
Jan 16, 2019 4:55 PM

Sticky: » [ACTIVE] ►► Add a LN to the Relations List◄◄

Ranobe - Jul 1, 2015

17 by valoon »»
Sep 9, 2018 6:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.