Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 18, 2010 9:11 AM

Dec 2008
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
Always loved Teardrop... but now it tends to remind me of House when I hear it ;-)
I know what you mean. Every time I hear "Who Are You" by The Who on the radio now, the scene of Grissom and crew walking out of the smoke during the intro comes to my mind.
Jan 23, 2010 12:54 PM

Mar 2009
Just started singing this today for no reason

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Jan 23, 2010 3:20 PM

Dec 2008
slenderfall said:
Weird, I had the same problem with this one today

I know it was done by the Lemon Pipers long before Disney used it for the movie, but for some reason I like the Goulet version better. Don't know what for sure, but maybe it's the way that movie ended.
Jan 23, 2010 3:51 PM

Aug 2006
Just a quick comment. I was looking for an anime youtube for Chelsea's birthday put to the music of Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen". While searching, I was appalled to find out that a cover has been done by Lindsay Lohan!! BLASPHEMY!! I had to listen to the Stevie version quickly to get the abomination out of my ears and out of my head. It is a sad, sad day, indeed. :(
Feb 4, 2010 9:16 AM

Jan 2010
Jusenkyo_Guide said:

well hear goes:

Goodness, I'm down with at least half of these. The Orb, Orbital and Underworld are longtime obsessions of mine. Coldcut is kind of hit and miss for me but their Journeys By DJ mix is one of my favorite albums ever. I was lucky enough to see Wire a couple of years ago, a great band that I hope never quits.

I haven't heard any of the "older" stuff by Terre Thaemlitz but his album from last year as DJ Sprinkles was ridiculously fantastic and makes me want to hear more from him.

Do you like Primal Scream? Stereolab? I've looked high and low but it's pretty impossible to find anime fans who like this kind of stuff.
Feb 4, 2010 10:25 AM

Feb 2008
slenderfall said:

They're back in the news again...
Feb 4, 2010 2:00 PM

Dec 2008
Chelle said:
Just a quick comment. I was looking for an anime youtube for Chelsea's birthday put to the music of Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen". While searching, I was appalled to find out that a cover has been done by Lindsay Lohan!! BLASPHEMY!! I had to listen to the Stevie version quickly to get the abomination out of my ears and out of my head. It is a sad, sad day, indeed. :(

Lindsay Lohan? Are you serious? Talk about desecration! That's like Pat Boone doing Heavy Metal tunes! Oh, wait, he DID do that....!

Yoiks!

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Feb 4, 2010 2:25 PM

Dec 2008
PhillyFlash said:
Chelle said:

Lindsay Lohan? Are you serious? Talk about desecration! That's like Pat Boone doing Heavy Metal tunes! Oh, wait, he DID do that....!

Yoiks!
The scary part about that is he didn't do half bad. *shudder*
Feb 4, 2010 3:58 PM

Nov 2007
<pokes head into thread> currently listening to type o negative while writing my report..

<nothing to see here... move along...>
devilbunnies are comming! soon we will be leigon!!
Feb 4, 2010 4:18 PM

Sep 2009
seasons said:
Jusenkyo_Guide said:

well hear goes:

Goodness, I'm down with at least half of these. The Orb, Orbital and Underworld are longtime obsessions of mine. Coldcut is kind of hit and miss for me but their Journeys By DJ mix is one of my favorite albums ever. I was lucky enough to see Wire a couple of years ago, a great band that I hope never quits.

I haven't heard any of the "older" stuff by Terre Thaemlitz but his album from last year as DJ Sprinkles was ridiculously fantastic and makes me want to hear more from him.

Do you like Primal Scream? Stereolab? I've looked high and low but it's pretty impossible to find anime fans who like this kind of stuff.
Awesome seasons!!!

I’ve seen Orbital far more times than I could even mention (even made a trip completely across the country, just to catch the opening-night of their Community Service Tour) .. but I’ve never seen Wire, so super jealous about that one!

As far as Thaemlitz... I’ve something like 15 of his self-titled releases .. and honestly feel he’s one of the most underrated composers of the last century. Brilliant Experimental Masterpieces.

The only release I picked up from him under the DJ Sprinkles moniker was a 12” single released back in the late 90’s titled Sloppy 42nds, a tribute to the 42nd street transsexual clubs destroyed by walt disney's buyout of times square.

It was pressed on translucent aqua-blue vinyl, and packaged as if it was a giant condom:

I didn’t even know there was a new DJ Sprinkles release, so thank you thank you thank you!!!

I’ve just ordered the CD .. and am super excited to hear it :-)

I never really got too much into Primal Scream, felt that some of theirs was hit or miss for me, but am a massive Stereolab fan.

So very good to meet you, Slenderfall and Krimson are into a lot of the same vein as we are as well...
Feb 4, 2010 4:43 PM

Mar 2009
I have listened to quite a bit of DJ Sprinkles which I like loads when I am in the mood, as for Primal and Sterolab I can take them or leave them

Have you both heard of this guy sort of laid back jazzy thing with a 4/4

Feb 4, 2010 5:31 PM

Dec 2009
Krimson (64.1% Not specified) said:
This song was parodied in Honey and Clover. Its scarily catchy.

I hate to necro-post but good lord krimson was right about this song, it totally replaced The Big Dango Family for me. And currently watching Honey and clover so it's apprapo.
Feb 4, 2010 6:02 PM

Jun 2008
Eh, most of the music I listen to now are the full version of OPs and EDs. Sora no Woto's OP and ED is my newest liking. It's not often I like both.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 5, 2010 12:02 AM
Nov 2008
What I have on my laptop right now

Feb 5, 2010 11:22 AM

Mar 2009
wilfried said:
What I have on my laptop right now

having a lok at your list you may like if you have not listened too already Laibach, SPK, Test Department, early Cabaret Voltaire and Einstürzende Neubauten to name just a handfull -

Feb 5, 2010 5:42 PM

Dec 2008
Gee, and all I have is Jimmy Buffett, Al Stewart, Mannhiem Steamroller, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra (X-mas leftovers). 'Course it's all of Jimmy, Al and MSr, but that's all. Just haven't gotten around to putting them on disc yet.
Feb 5, 2010 6:02 PM

Sep 2009
slenderfall said:
I think I'm diggin' Rondenion Slend... sort of a Coco, Steel & Lovebomb meets Nightmares on Wax, with a little Beanfield thrown in ;-)

thanks for the recommendation!
Feb 7, 2010 10:18 AM

Jan 2010
slenderfall said:

I think I'm drawn to the undercurrent of melancholy in DJ Sprinkles' work, which isn't really happening here, but this still sounds uncannily similar to him.
Feb 22, 2010 6:20 AM

Sep 2008
I saw a new chapter of Vinland Saga came out today, and it made me wonder if there was a Vinland Saga club on MAL, which there was. And on the club main page, they have this Awesome Manga Music Video:

Brilliant!

Feb 22, 2010 6:39 AM

Apr 2009
sbyrstall said:
Eh, most of the music I listen to now are the full version of OPs and EDs. Sora no Woto's OP and ED is my newest liking. It's not often I like both.

I've actually had that OP on my iPod for at least a month now. And I'm pretty much the same, I pretty much only listen to anime and Vocaloid music.
Feb 22, 2010 6:43 AM

Apr 2009
AccipiterF1 said:
Brilliant!

Bah! You changed your post before I could point out that this is the Immigrant Song. Getting flashbacks to my old D&D group from the 80s and 90s (I played in the same campaign for freaking 17 years, back in the day). Man if I still knew those guys (kind of made a hard decision to break off from them, as I got tired of being a pothead) I would totally use that manga to suck them into the world I currently live in.
Feb 22, 2010 6:55 AM

Apr 2009
Totally been addicted to this lately.

I have it on my iPod as well as three Vocaloid versions (Luka Megurine, Gumi and Meiko). Strangely my mom's hubby (not an anime fan) found this video and showed it to me the day after my Vocaloid cosplay coworker buddeh (dubbed Miku-nyan) pointed it out to me.
Feb 22, 2010 9:26 AM

Sep 2008
Krimson said:
AccipiterF1 said:
Brilliant!

Bah! You changed your post before I could point out that this is the Immigrant Song. Getting flashbacks to my old D&D group from the 80s and 90s (I played in the same campaign for freaking 17 years, back in the day). Man if I still knew those guys (kind of made a hard decision to break off from them, as I got tired of being a pothead) I would totally use that manga to suck them into the world I currently live in.

Haha! I meant to write Achilles last Stand but it's a freaking 10-minute song! And on second thought, too Greek sounding. No Quarter would be good too, though.

Feb 22, 2010 2:28 PM

Dec 2008
Krimson said:

I have it on my iPod as well as three Vocaloid versions (Luka Megurine, Gumi and Meiko). Strangely my mom's hubby (not an anime fan) found this video and showed it to me the day after my Vocaloid cosplay coworker buddeh (dubbed Miku-nyan) pointed it out to me.
That one was very popular around Halloween time I think due to the witch and demon type theme. I did like the silhouette theme ove the video and the tune is rather catchy.
Feb 25, 2010 1:25 PM

Apr 2009
Currently listening to the OST to Mushishi, minus the Sore Feet song since it doesn't go well with the other music.
Feb 28, 2010 7:23 PM

Dec 2008
Thought about posting this with my nomination for the AotM, but figured that might be pushing things. I could care less about the game, but the song is fun. I love his guitar in this version, and I think I figured out what Krimson's cat is listening to.

Mar 1, 2010 7:24 PM

Sep 2009
seasons said:
slenderfall said:

I think I'm drawn to the undercurrent of melancholy in DJ Sprinkles' work.

took like three weeks to finally receive it in the mail, which I thought a $40 CD shoulda shipped out a lil faster... but boy was it worth it!

DJ Sprinkles - “Midtown 120 Blues"

love the spoken part of the intro/track one, especially Terre recanting the story of him being denied entry into The Loft NY even though they were playing his record on the dancefloor at that very moment… This album for me is a cognitive take on self awareness by means of audible art… not only letting it represent you, but having an active/conscious role in the who, what, where & why of yourself .. and decisively expressing that through your art. Basically, what you play/listen to being an outward reflection of an inward mentality.

The album like all of his self titled work definitely comes with an agenda and greater purpose .. and as always, a message worthy of paying attention to :-)
Mar 1, 2010 7:27 PM

Sep 2009
you'll notice a definite similarity to the mid-late 90's Cabaret Voltaire sound, really any of their work released on Instinct or Crepescule

Mar 2, 2010 5:01 AM

Aug 2006
One of my favorite "new" country artists, Lady Antebellum

ChelleMar 2, 2010 5:05 AM
Mar 2, 2010 5:21 AM

Dec 2009
Been listening to bad apple, now Krimson has me hooked on that thing. I turn it up loud and the base scares my cat away, hehehe silly cat.

Some things go together well. Peanut Butter and Chocolate, Apples and cinnamon, Abbot and Costello, Anime and country music.....not so much.
Mar 2, 2010 12:41 PM

Jun 2009
Currently I'm just shy of 25 GB of J Rock/Pop... and around 30 GB for English tunes.. Needless to say, yes I like music :P And yes, when I find a band I like.. I go to the extremes it seems :) and I look for discographies. How better to tell if they really have talent than to listen to more than just the popular songs?
Some of my fav J Rock/Pop bands are as follows:

Luna Sea

Maximum the Hormone - Did u know they're on break right now because the drummer's pregnant?? YAY !! they'll have lil hormones running round :P
Access (or A><S.... or any number of variations.. interesting history behind this duo) [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_(group)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_
ya.. he could purr in my ear all night long NOOOOOOO problem :P

Nightmare ahh n the lead singer is just so kawaii !!!!!! and a voice like velvet!! purrrrr

Boom Boom Satalites

Beat Crusaders
Aqua Timez ... I tell ya the bass in this tune sends shivers down my spine .. I LOVE it *shiver* purrrrrrrrrrr

Abingdon Boys School ( I love all their stuff) and I'm sure anyone who's watched Darker than black (S1 of course) ..will recognize this lil tune :P

And the lead singer from ABS ... was also the lead singer for TM Revolution. Ya he could purr in my OTHER ear all night long PURRRRRRRRRRRR kawaii!!!

Buck Tick (Gotta love the name on these guys) They been round a long time...
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Tick""]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Tick""

9mm Parabellum Bullet
Inoue Joe
Kojima Mayumi (Jazz)
Oasis - shhh... was the OP for eden of the east!! :P

Loudness
Shimamiya Eiko
Uverworld

Wagdung Futuristic Unity

and of course.. Suga Shikao (for xXxHolic... he's gotta be connected to CLAMP)
Ok.. I'll be honest.. this is the first J Rock/Pop tune I actually felt COMPELLED to hunt down and it's still at the top of my favs, though it's getting stiffer competition. The song still gives me goose bumps though ... ya in a real good way :)

Plus various other artists from OST's... for example... :P

Just too many to mention and find/post :)
Dragon-ScalesMar 19, 2010 6:58 PM

Mar 2, 2010 1:09 PM

Apr 2009
Dragon-Scales said:
Maximum the Hormone - Did u know they're on break right now because the drummer's pregnant?? YAY !! they'll have lil hormones running round :P

As a matter of fact, I did. What a great way to wipe my mind clean of country music :P
Mar 2, 2010 1:40 PM

Apr 2009
I suppose I should post more of what I actually listen to these days, which is mostly Vocaloid music. So I am going to put a selection of some of my favorites.

My current favorite next to Bad Apple. The Vocaloid is a new one named Kaai Yuki.

Next one is another new Vocaloid named SF-A2 Miki

Meiko is an older Vocaloid, but Mijipin-P knows how to make her sound awesome.

Kiyoteru Hiyama is also a new Vocaloid. Chelle might like this one.

Megurine Luka is one of my favorites, and this is probably my favorite song by her.

Gumi is probably my all around favorite Vocaloid, her voice provided by Megumi Nakajima who voiced Ranka in Macross Frontier. This is a cover of Tori No Uta.

Gumi singing Bad Apple is pretty damned good too.

You can't really talk Vocaloid without Miku Hatsune.

This next one might be my all around favorite Vocaloid song. It was composed by a little known fellow named Noazi. This one has Gumi, Luka and Miku.

Another fantastic song composed by Noazi. Luka and Miku.

So yeah, that's what I listen to these days.
Mar 3, 2010 8:45 PM

Jun 2009
OK.. this is my fav Abingdon Boys School song.
Nervous Breakdown... it's basically a B side to (I'm sure most of us remember those) .. to the Howling single released for D.Gray-man... and I think this tune is WAY better .... PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 4, 2010 4:14 AM

Aug 2006
Dragon-Scales said:
Ok.. I'll be honest.. this is the first J Rock/Pop tune I actually felt COMPELLED to hunt down and it's still at the top of my favs, :)

OMG... that was the VERY FIRST J Rock/Pop song that I ever felt compelled to look for and download, as well. O_o Very cool!!!
Mar 4, 2010 5:19 AM

Jul 2007
oh man I love all Abingdon Boys School songs, even if they mostly sound the same x3 (Howling was Darker than Black op not DGM, btw)

their newest one (Darker than Black ed.. lol) is one of my current faves :)
Mar 5, 2010 9:36 AM

Aug 2008
At 31, I'm relatively new @ hitting up the dance clubs. Just the right songs can get me going.

Krimson said:

Something like that would work.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Mar 7, 2010 2:10 AM

Dec 2008
Got a little melancholy tonight for some reason.

For some reason, this one always reminds me of Ray Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day". Yeah , I know they're not even the same topic, but like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wizard of Oz", they sort of work well together:

If you haven't read the short story, go, NOW. Hie thee to your library and look for Bradbury's Venus Stories. They are some of his best writing.

And here's one to lighten the mood a little.

There is a better version (IMO) with a much higher quality video of this titled "A Different Kind of Heroism" put together by Trilaan and posted over at animemusicvideos.org, but due to certain copyrights that is the only place I have been able to find that one, so here's a semi-suitable substitute from YouTube.
OrlahEhontasMar 7, 2010 2:14 AM
Mar 7, 2010 5:16 PM

Jun 2009
Here's another couple - odder tunes I love... They're loaded on the car MP3 player, n fall somewhere between Boom Boom Satellites, and Maximum the Hormone :P
Slenderfall might recognize this first one ... :P

Dragon-ScalesMar 7, 2010 5:43 PM

Mar 7, 2010 5:21 PM

Mar 2009
Krimson said:

Me Too

Mar 7, 2010 5:22 PM

Mar 2009
Dragon-Scales said:
Here's one of the odder ones I love...
Slenderfall might recognize this... :P

Yep Japanese yodellers

Mar 7, 2010 5:53 PM

Jun 2009
Yep I love the tune as well
has anyone checked out the apple carve video for it though??
Very well done!!!!

Mar 8, 2010 5:56 AM

Dec 2009
That there is someone with mad skills and way to much time on their hands.
And that tune is my new song to program by. I like the fast beat.
Mar 8, 2010 10:33 AM

Jun 2009
Hakujou said:
That there is someone with mad skills and way to much time on their hands.
And that tune is my new song to program by. I like the fast beat.

Hmm.... Hakujou likes it fast huh >,<

Mar 8, 2010 11:18 AM

Dec 2009
I will not fall into this trap you naughty naughty minx.
Mar 8, 2010 11:21 AM

Jun 2009
Hakujou said:
I will not fall into this trap you naughty naughty minx.

Damn... foiled again >,<
lol

Mar 8, 2010 1:15 PM

Dec 2009
heh
@Krimson, you seem to be the resident music-wizard. Any other music/instrumentals like bad apple floating around?
Mar 8, 2010 6:45 PM

Jun 2009
ok.. how bout some eng favs for a change.. n a little slower :P
Now how can u not feel good after listening to these :)

Chris DeBurgh - Patricia the Stripper

Great Big Sea - The Mermaid

Great Big Sea - Old Black Rum (Awesome song!!)

The Chicken song :P (not for virgin ears)

Danny Boy (ala muppets)

Mar 8, 2010 9:52 PM

Apr 2009
Hakujou said:
heh
@Krimson, you seem to be the resident music-wizard. Any other music/instrumentals like bad apple floating around?

Bad Apple is kind of a phenomenon in and of itself. So far as music I have found almost as addicting, Distinegration by Lia still seems to top my list for most plays. This version has the best audio, but there's nothing to the video - just a video of the wrong girl

However, probably one of the best videos I have seen so far as eye candy goes is Tripshots' Nebula featuring Miku Hatsune

Oh, and just for my amusement, Bad Apple was actually from the game Touhou 4: Lotus Land Story, and old game from 1998 designed to play on one of these. Here is the original in song in its 16 bit glory.

Mar 9, 2010 4:09 AM

Jun 2008
Dragon-Scales said:
ok.. how bout some eng favs for a change.. n a little slower :P
Now how can u not feel good after listening to these :)

Great Big Sea - The Mermaid

Great Big Sea - Old Black Rum (Awesome song!!)
I miss Great Big Sea. :( My ex got the CD in our divorce and I haven't been able to find. Nothing says being different than being Newfies...

Right now I'm enjoying the ED from FMA:B.
Dodecahedron-O24May 28, 2010 4:10 AM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2901 by jdvz »»
Today, 11:20 AM

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002) ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

57 by whiteflame55 »»
Today, 6:32 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

835 by whiteflame55 »»
May 6, 6:12 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

54 by filifjonkan »»
May 6, 7:49 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.