Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 13, 2014 10:57 AM
Feb 2013
Having seen both series, I was wondering why that is?

Personally, I don't find them much alike. I didn't like Kimi ni Todoke very much (because I found it boring), but I'm quite the AHR fan and every episode makes me excited.

The characters are the first thing that strikes me as different. Kazehaya has none of the sass and cheekiness that makes Kou as precious as he is (and a more unique character), and where Sawako was shy and timid, Futaba is approachable and friendly. AHR has quite dull side characters (they will get better though), where Kimi ni Todoke has some awesome sides that makes the show more enjoyable.

And then there are the pacing and plot. I definitely think AHR is progressing a lot faster then Kimi ni Todoke was.

I hope someone will enlighten me :).. maybe I was not paying enough attention watching Kimi ni Todoke....
Aug 13, 2014 2:47 PM
Dec 2013
I agree with you. I don't think they are similiar. Like you said the characters are not alike at all. The story is really different too. AHR is about the main couple who meet again for the 2nd time and fall in love again where in Kimi No Todoke it's a different story. And Kou and Futaba aren't shy around each other (like sniffing each other, touching each other and such) but Kazehaya and Sawako are really shy around each other. Their friends are different too. There are no girls in Kimi Ni todoke who has same personality as Murao or Makita. And the I think friendship between the girls in Kimi Ni Todoke are better. I think people think AHR and Kimi Ni Todoke are similiar because both series are relaxing (though AHR is more dramatic and will get more dramatic), I think it's the only reason. I like Kimi Ni Todoke but I love Ao Haru Ride more because it's more realistic and the main couple's story is more exciting.
manganimelover1Aug 16, 2014 4:50 PM
Aug 13, 2014 6:30 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Not at all. If so, Hibi Chouchou is similar to Kimi ni Todoke.
Aug 14, 2014 8:36 AM

Sep 2008
I think that AHR and KnT have simillar vibe/feeling...
Their stories have various similarities in characters and relationships...
Classmates, childhood friends, teacherxstudent...
but stories are different...

Also both series are from Betsuma magazine and both are made by Production I.G,
so this also can make people compared these series.
Aug 14, 2014 10:14 AM

May 2009
I agree. The only thing familiar is the fact that it's about a boy and a girl.. that's all. The feeling is totally different. In Kimi ni Todoke everyone was SUPER shy. They had to take 2 freakin seasons to make up how they feel and how to tell. In these series they actually hang out together a lot and lots of touchy-ish without being shy. They are more genuine with each other and way more outgoing which creates great scenes. It's what you said: the pacing is só different. I love the makers of Ao no Haru for making it this way. It's way more interesting this way.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Aug 14, 2014 10:19 AM

Aug 2014
It's just the similar pastel visuals and the fact that both are romance shoujo. Obviously no one is expecting them to be identical.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 16, 2014 4:44 PM

Jun 2008
I don't see it.
Aug 17, 2014 8:01 AM

Dec 2013
Ao Haru Ride gives me the same warm, fuzzy feeling that Kimi ni Todoke did :)
And the animation is really similar too, so I suppose that also adds to it (but KnT had a lot more of those cute, pastel backgrounds).

The actual characters have a different vibe though. Sawako was shy and quiet, and overall, KnT felt more like a story of how she grew as an individual. Futaba, on the other hand, is outgoing and a little bit loud, I guess. They're definitely both alike in that they really wanted and deeply cared about their friends.

Kou seems a lot more aloof compared to Kazehaya, but he was sweet back in middle school :) And Kazehaya openly liked Sawako, I don't really see Kou blushing every time Futaba walks in the room :/

Kazehaya and Sawako's relationship was more innocent too, while Kou and Futaba's leans towards something more friendly and casual. He flippin' head-locked her, for goodness sake :|

The list can go on and on, both on how they're alike and how they're different. Ao Haru Ride and Kimi ni Todoke are both highschool romcom's, there's bound to be similarities here and there, as there will be with other stories of other genres :) I love both either way :)
Aug 17, 2014 2:08 PM

Oct 2007
People comparing apple to orange all the time and most of the times was just to justify what they like and don't.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 21, 2014 11:55 AM
Feb 2013
Thanks guys. It really did help me understand differences and likenesses of the two series. I think my conclusion will be the setting, animation style and yeah also, not the characters, but the fact that we focus on a lot of relationships, are alike.

manganimelover1 said:
I like Kimi Ni Todoke but I love Ao Haru Ride more because it's more realistic and the main couple's story is more exciting.

Totally agree here. I like the physical contact we see in AHR.

Siva said:
People comparing apple to orange all the time and most of the times was just to justify what they like and don't.

Yes, comparisons serve as an easy way to show what's done right or wrong in a show. The problem is that when you compare, you use the perspective of the other show - it's doing things right, this is not. The problem in this case is that I don't think AHR was meant to give of the same vibe as Kimi Ni Todoke. Thus, I think it unfair when AHR is lessened by the argument - 'This is not as cute as Kimi Ni Todoke'
Sep 8, 2014 5:24 PM

Dec 2007
i really love both but its a tottally diferent feeling in both of them, i guess it's easier to relate to the characters in AHR .
Sep 8, 2014 5:30 PM

May 2014
Definitely not alike! Kimi ni Todoke kinda gives off a heart warming atmosphere while Ao haru ride is more normal(?)

the characters are certainly different Shota and Kou have completely diff personalities and same goes for everyone else.

But both are awesome
Sep 9, 2014 3:16 AM

May 2013
AHR and Kimi ni Todoke was most likely compared because they were animated by the same studio and the script writer.

Neither way, I definitely love this two shows. For now, I just put KNT on my on-hold list because I can't catch up right now and the latest chapters of AHR is not kinda good right now.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 2, 2014 3:55 AM
Dec 2013
I don't see it and AHR is better out of the two, Shuu-chan kinda looks like the heroine KnT though. :3
Nov 5, 2014 5:43 AM
May 2012
No comparing =3=

ScazoN said:
I don't see it and AHR is better out of the two, Shuu-chan kinda looks like the heroine KnT though. :3

Yeah, they do look alike O_O

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

296 by Kotori-chama »»
Apr 13, 8:47 AM

» Season 2?

Roni1703 - Apr 3

27 by v4lerria_a »»
Apr 5, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2014

377 by Fenyy »»
Feb 23, 1:25 PM

» What do you think of the anime?

7ohan - Nov 11, 2023

24 by earthborn »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

156 by n0t_4dy »»
Oct 30, 2023 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.