Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2009 1:43 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I like how the show just throws you into it with barely any introduction. That's the best kind of sci-fi, immersing you in the universe without holding your hand.

Music was ok, direction too, animation wasnt great but it gets the job done. So far the production is more noteworthy for its storytelling, which I rank above everything else in importance anyway.

Nice prison escape too. I like that this show is about this fugitive being chased and not saving the universe or anything, well not yet anyway.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 6, 2011 12:05 AM

Aug 2009
Quite honestly, what I love most about the battle scenes is that, aside from the escape, all of it seems possible. Many newer Real Robot shows really disgust me when your main character, an angsty teen with 0 combat experience, starts ripping on fully trained foes with his special prototype, not even taking a scratch (fine, this might now happen all at the same time...but you know...). Here, stuff dies easily and quickly. The Scopedogs easily earn their nickname of "tin cans with machine guns".
Burkeism - Our president is more truculent than yours.
May 14, 2011 7:44 AM

Mar 2008
Odd to see a show not even introducing its main character. It just threw you right in the middle of the story, with a lot of plotting and backstabbing already concluding. And Chirico is just unlucky.

Overall, it was a good start.
May 22, 2011 6:30 PM

Apr 2009
kirant said:
Quite honestly, what I love most about the battle scenes is that, aside from the escape, all of it seems possible. Many newer Real Robot shows really disgust me when your main character, an angsty teen with 0 combat experience, starts ripping on fully trained foes with his special prototype, not even taking a scratch (fine, this might now happen all at the same time...but you know...). Here, stuff dies easily and quickly. The Scopedogs easily earn their nickname of "tin cans with machine guns".

God you have to remind me of those whiny and emo teenager pilots... well at least this is different in a way. I'm already interested to who's what from this first episode but I think it wasn't bad at all, I'm even more curious now how things will turn out after this.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 11, 2011 7:42 AM

Jul 2009
Chirico just showed all those other prison escapers that all you need is a single metal bolt. No need for anything else.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Nov 27, 2013 3:30 PM

Oct 2011
Not a bad start at all. Love the music and directing, but some of the scenes definitely look pretty bad. The lack of real characterization other than basic facts for Chirico is kind of disturbing, but this is a long running series so that can be overlooked.
May 29, 2014 4:44 PM

Nov 2013
I can already tell I'm going to love this series, the whole gritty feel, the conspiracy.

And that whole escape sequence was amazing.
Nov 5, 2014 12:48 AM

Jun 2009
I watched this episode ages ago (at the time of writing this comment, 1472 days ago, according to my list (which is accurate, give or take 1-2 days)). I am only now commenting in this thread to say:

1. I don't remember much, if anything, of what happened in the episode only that the MC was on some sort of mission, he wasn't introduced there was mecha combat. I'm not going to watch episode 1 again.

2. Something about this episode made me just...not want to watch episode 2, or have any sort of desire to watch the anything else for over 3 years. I want to try and finish Votoms as it seems like a show that I would like (it's why I started watching it, after all).

Anyway, here goes.
Jun 1, 2015 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
I have to say I laughed a lot when Chirico opened that thing, only to run away scared after seeing a naked female body.

Pretty good start, hungry for more.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 8, 2015 12:23 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Old school mecha action. Not big in exposition and explanation. that's what you have 52 episodes for, right?

I've been holding back too long from watching this. I hope it's a good one.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 20, 2015 8:45 AM

Nov 2011
Beatnik said:
I like how the show just throws you into it with barely any introduction. That's the best kind of sci-fi, immersing you in the universe without holding your hand.

-----------------

Goddamn I'm enjoying this shit already. Glorious 80s SF anime!
Chirico's even fucking manly!
DAYUM DAYUM DAYUM WHERE CAN YOU GO WRONG?
Aug 27, 2019 2:14 PM

Jun 2014
This looks promising. I've heard great things about this Anime, and now I'm finally watching it.

Chirico is quite a skilled soldier. He was left in the dark regarding that mission, but he did see that naked girl in the capsule. Who is she, and what will happen to her?

Feb 9, 2021 7:57 AM

Jul 2016
My favorite genre: mecha anime, especially from the 80s. 52 episodes is a lot to digest, but I'll give it a try.
Dec 12, 2022 11:30 AM

Jul 2016
chirico is one hell of a boss. a highly capable soldier caught up in shady operations, manipulation, corruption, and essentially; torture. even immediately after flatlining, he's aware enough of his surroundings to nab a single bolt as a potential tool and that's enough for him to cause a chain reaction leading up to his escape. he's the star of his own show. i say that because not all shows can demonstrate this well. great first episode. i'd drag this development out to 2 or 3 if it were up to me, for a slower build-up.
Jan 3, 2023 1:15 AM
Sep 2022
Amazing opening to an icon, grabbed me hook and sink!
Apr 5, 2023 1:14 AM

May 2009
I watched the prequels prior to this and didn't exactly enjoy them. This however was awesome to watch! 
Gaming channel just for fun: https://www.youtube.com/cataorshane
May 22, 2023 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Intriguing first episode, I'm on board!
Jun 1, 2023 7:56 AM
Aug 2021
Man, what a glorious first episode.
Nov 4, 2023 12:26 AM
Nov 2023
Great for a first episode, I really like it when my sci-fi just throws me into the world without a bunch of exposition.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Armored Trooper Votoms Episode 9 Discussion

tofei - May 23, 2011

14 by PlasticRobot »»
Apr 3, 3:06 PM

Poll: » Armored Trooper Votoms Episode 7 Discussion

tofei - May 22, 2011

13 by Origami_Cyclone »»
Feb 12, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Armored Trooper Votoms Episode 52 Discussion

Echelon - Sep 13, 2008

29 by walla »»
Jan 14, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Armored Trooper Votoms Episode 2 Discussion

Beatnik - Oct 19, 2009

13 by sakurology »»
Nov 4, 2023 12:56 AM

Poll: » Armored Trooper Votoms Episode 26 Discussion

tofei - May 24, 2011

8 by walla »»
Oct 30, 2023 9:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.