Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 30, 2020 7:40 PM
Jun 2020
[quote=Zefyris message=33489255]Depends on what part you're talking
about.
Wow, I'm completely impressed with all this information, (forgive my bad English, I'm a Brazilian in love with this work). I just can't beat the anime, especially now that I've discovered so many differences between the light novel and the animation. It's amazing, Zefyris, if you could just clear up some of my doubts ...

I wonder if there is a wedding ceremony in the light novel, along with a honeymoon for Victorique and Kujo, what exactly is their relationship like? Do they end up having children? There are so many doubts! Explain me please! > :(
Zefyris said:
What?! My God! The novel makes no sense!
WW2 is good ol' 'murica vs Europe AND Asia!

This isn't the same as our world at all. like I said, military technology from america is too above the old continent technology. Besides, the war is in 1925. Germany even in our world was still extremely weakened from the last war, and so was France, with a huge lost of their soldiers in the previous war. Soviet wasn't especially strong so soon after their revolution, either. The previous war mostly did go with the same victors and defeated as in our world, I think.

Think about it, it was 1960-1970 tanks and armaments vs 1925 military technology (which was closer from 1918 military technology than from 1935 technology as far as performance goes imo) and country that were still for several of them recovering from the impact of the previous world war. Do you think a country with such an advanced technology would lose? The war still lasted four whole years.
In gosick, on the old continent, beliefs in occult is strong, and slowed down greatly technological revolution (like in our world) whereas it wasn't the case in America. Gosick make an opposition between the two continent, one where supernatural power exists and that kind of belief is rooted in everyone's consciousness, and one where this did not happen.
So, her abilities shouldn't have worked at all, rather than just lose efficiency in time...

It's the accumulation of it days after days that twisted her perception. It's not like the reports were false, simply that they were not 100% objective. Victorique showed during the whole series the ability to solve things while using at least partially subjective reports.
Victorique's brain wasn't bothered by such small distortion.
It was a small error negligible at first that kept on twisting more and more her exact perception of the current situation.

1. So the seirun are the grey wolves or not?

They are. think there was an explanation for Roscoe's hair color, but I unfortunately don't remember what it was.
So, if she goes into a coma when she leaves the continent (because magic), how come she lives in 'murica with her new husband?

She wakes up from her coma a while after arriving in Japan, so she survived being separated from the old continent in this end, and this is no longer a problem afterward. She "lost" with her depart what was causing such problem. This almost killed her, and killed every single pure blooded supernatural being trying to leave. Maybe it's better to think of it like a difficult surgical operation, I don't know. She got almost killed going through this but afterward, she doesn't have that problem anymore. This is linked to her losing her hair color. Just like she doesn't regain that blond color afterward, she doesn't have the same problem again.
The choice of living in America is very logical. In the novel, Victorique is entrusted with the hope of her mother of a new life free from the old bonds and from the old beliefs. There is no stronger image of this than living on the new continent. On this, this reminds of the old migration of a part of the European population toward america (like the Irish) a few centuries before. Furthermore, bear in mind that in the novel, her father is still alive, and that Japan was allied with Victorique's country. Worse, Kazuya's address was obviously known from the school he went to. On top of being very symbolic, living in America is also the best choice to be freed once and for all from any occult group wanting to use her. Bear in mind, that the "use" of those occult group was far, far, far harsher and cruel in the novel than in the anime. Victorique and her mother suffered greatly from this. America is a continent were the belief in supernatural power doesn't exist in Gosick. There is no better place for her.

Well, just understand that I read it more than one year ago so explaining things from a fuzzy memory may no be the best way to make things clear and understandable, so takes the explanation with a grain of salt.

Wow, I'm completely impressed with all this information, (forgive my bad English, I'm a Brazilian in love with this work). I just can't beat the anime, especially now that I've discovered so many differences between the light novel and the animation. It's amazing, Zefyris, if you could just clear up some of my doubts ...

I wonder if there is a wedding ceremony in the light novel, along with a honeymoon for Victorique and Kujo, what exactly is their relationship like? Do they end up having children? There are so many doubts! Explain me please! > :(
Jun 30, 2020 7:43 PM
Jun 2020
Zefyris said:
Sorry, for Avril, I don't remember what she became.
Whiskey-chan said:

I'm sorry to bring this back but there's this thing I haven't figured out yet. You know, Kujou and Victorique moved to New York out of pure luck or there was a reason behind it?
I've seen some people speculating that it was due to the fact that Marquis de Blois would try to track her down but after reading a Gosick Blue review, I felt Kujou's father was the one to blame this time. It was mentioned that he didn't agree to something and tried to ship her back to her home country. Moving to NY specifically might have been because of Ruri, but I was just wondering what actually made them leave Japan (despite [I guess] the fact of trying to find a better life in a new country untouched by the war).

Do you know or remember anything about this? :0

Hmm, the cause is multiple
-The new continent was always interesting them because of it being not reachable by Victorique's very influential father;
-The disagreement between Kujou/Victorique and Kujou's father pushed them to move there faster than they may have moved otherwise
-Kujou's sister being in Manhattan (as she's married to Japan's ambassador in the US) meant that this town in particular was interesting because they could easily leave in his sister's house for a while until they could find jobs and their own place to live.
NathanMDA said:
Guys, are there Sequel novels in english language to purchase?

Jul 1, 2020 1:03 AM

Apr 2013
dudlatz said:
Zefyris said:
Sorry, for Avril, I don't remember what she became.

Hmm, the cause is multiple
-The new continent was always interesting them because of it being not reachable by Victorique's very influential father;
-The disagreement between Kujou/Victorique and Kujou's father pushed them to move there faster than they may have moved otherwise
-Kujou's sister being in Manhattan (as she's married to Japan's ambassador in the US) meant that this town in particular was interesting because they could easily leave in his sister's house for a while until they could find jobs and their own place to live.
NathanMDA said:
Guys, are there Sequel novels in english language to purchase?

Unfortunately, I can't answer any of those questions since the only reason we know they probably married is that Kujou presents Victorique to other peoples as "his wife" in the last scene of the main novel series. That scene is several years later compared to all the following books so we never reached the point where there's anything like that being described.
Oct 13, 2020 8:20 AM
Captain

Jun 2014
Thank you so much @Zefyris for telling all that information to us...

I imagined that the LN was harsher than the anime due the cruelty showed during Victorique's childbirth...I assume Cordelia was raped by that f*** bastard but man, he even drugged his daughter for months...

I'm glad that they fled to USA and started that detective agency, would loved to watch that in the anime but honestly, after knowing what happens in the LN, I'll keep Albert's death as the 'true ending' + the marriage of Victorique & Kujou
Nov 10, 2020 12:56 PM
Oct 2019
Way late but thanks for the discussion in this post answered all my questions about the novel lol
Apr 17, 2021 9:19 PM
Apr 2021
Zefyris said:
Depends on what part you're talking about.
The last arc is quite different in the anime and LN.
In the LN, there is supernatural involved (a bit, but important), and situation for victorique and her mother is far harsher (well, it was harsher the whole time, the anime version basically removed all part that could shock viewers). The main things (who dies, who don't, who ends up with who) are mostly the same. One exception is that Victorique's father doesn't die, and was never in danger of dying. the scene of Victorique's mother fighting doesn't exist. It doesn't make sense anyway, as she is a dancer, not a fighter; and victorique's father is a politician and a noble, not a fighter either.
Instead, her mother indeed take place of victorique as well (but it's inside a prison, told you victorique's position was on a whole different level of "harsh" compared to anime), and as soon as she's discovered, she's executed with one of the Brian roscoe by guards piercing her with their spear without them trying to resist.
The second brian roscoe doesn't fall from a cliff. He does indeed die on the boat, but for a whole different (and far more logical reason).

Supernatural power cannot leave the old continent. Brian Roscoe is a pure blooded Seirun tribe, and as such, is a supernatural tribe. He dies after weakening a lot on the boat, just like any other supernatural being who tried to escape the old continent because of war. Victorique however survives because she's a mixed blood. Still, her hair completely lose the golden color (that part wasn't explained in the anime), and is in coma state when arriving to japan. There, she's sold by the boat crew to a japanese procurer, who intends to do of victorique a prostitute. However, when he undress her to give her a bath as she's still unconscious, he realize this won't work for a good reason and leave her free. That 'good reason" is due to a scene that doesn't happen in the anime either. Awesome scene, which is replaced by that scene with victorique looking at Kazuya by the window and crying in the anime. Well, both scene were good, in a different way. In the LN, Victorique is awesome in that specific scene ( she tatoo herself) from start to finish (when his brother comes to bring her to prison); in the anime, the emotional impact here is strong, but victorique is her usual crying self, so her development as a character is lost.
The head of the academy faction (who fled in the anime) never fled since he had no reason to (the katamibako was never delivered to the occult faction) for example, so those weird guys screaming "monstre charmant" everywhere wearing a rabbit head never appear in the LN, that's an invention (and a poor one imo) of the Anime staff, so differences exists in previous arcs as well, and those differences together are heavy enough to change heavily the last arc.

Well, there's a lot of differences like this. They still reunite in japan in 1929, victorique's hair color stil change, both brian and Cordelia dies for example, but the path to reach this is quite different. There is an additional part in manhattan in 1934 after their reunion in 1929 as well, where they're running a detective agency named "gray wolf detective agency".

If you want more specific info, you can ask, but since I finished to read the series last year, cannot promise you that I'll remember everything. As a general rule, any scene that seems weird or illogical -if you think about them- in the anime (there's a lot, especially near the end) were either created by the anime staff, or the anime missed a specific scene related to the explanation of them.

Hello, I really appreciate that you explained the differences between LN and anime, I hope you can remove this doubt ... What was it that Victorique tattooed on her body to avoid being sold as a prostitute? I would really appreciate your answer, it has been a while, so I hope you remember something, or someone from the same thread can do it.
Apr 17, 2021 9:37 PM

Apr 2016
Memuusenpai said:

Hello, I really appreciate that you explained the differences between LN and anime, I hope you can remove this doubt ... What was it that Victorique tattooed on her body to avoid being sold as a prostitute? I would really appreciate your answer, it has been a while, so I hope you remember something, or someone from the same thread can do it.

I already asked that question in this thread and it was answered in great detail. Short summary if you don't wanna go look for it, she tattooed Kazuya's address from Japan on herself (which was in Japanese), so that there was no chance of her losing it while in her father's captivity and/or during her travels afterwards. Having an address and somebody's name on her body made her seem like "somebody's property" which is why the brothel released her because she was unusable merchandise. It wasn't anything Victorique had planned for, it just happened to help her in that case. :)
Pit93Apr 18, 2021 4:07 AM
Apr 18, 2021 3:38 AM

Apr 2013
^what Pit93 said.

@Sakku-san you're welcome. Not only did he rape her, but once it was clear she was pregnant, he drugged her all the way until she gave birth to deprive her of any chance of escaping / aborting the child in any way. She barely got any moment of clear consciousness until she gave birth, for more than half a year. So he has a history of drugging both mother and daughter when he used them.
Apr 24, 2021 12:38 AM
Apr 2021
Pit93 said:
Memuusenpai said:

I already asked that question in this thread and it was answered in great detail. Short summary if you don't wanna go look for it, she tattooed Kazuya's address from Japan on herself (which was in Japanese), so that there was no chance of her losing it while in her father's captivity and/or during her travels afterwards. Having an address and somebody's name on her body made her seem like "somebody's property" which is why the brothel released her because she was unusable merchandise. It wasn't anything Victorique had planned for, it just happened to help her in that case. :)

Oh, I see, thank you very much, they are details that although they were not animated, I do not like to lose them, just when I finish watching an anime, I go directly to the source material so as not to miss all the details.
May 15, 2021 6:14 AM
May 2021
Zefyris said:
Jaymarkirad said:

So she's been sexually assaulted by the boat crew? Damn that's was so sad.

She hasn't. What made you think that in what I described ?

Was she still in coma when she was sold?
Was she forced to be a prostitute or did she escape?
May 15, 2021 7:34 AM

Apr 2013
The_game007 said:
Zefyris said:

She hasn't. What made you think that in what I described ?

her being in Coma was the very reason they could sell her.
I already explained above, and Pit93 re explained it, so feel free to read it in details above if you need; to keep it short the decision to release her was made before she woke up when they undressed her to bath her, as they discovered that she had an address tattooed on her skin, making her look like she "belonged" to a Japanese civilian.
May 15, 2021 8:04 AM
May 2021
Zefyris said:
The_game007 said:

I already explained above, and Pit93 re explained it, so feel free to read it in details above if you need; to keep it short the decision to release her was made before she woke up when they undressed her to bath her, as they discovered that she had an address tattooed on her skin, making her look like she "belonged" to a Japanese civilian.

Thanks for the reply.
I got really sad and depressed because i got too attached to her character then i read that she was sold into prostitution and she has already suffered so much.
So she was never forced or assaulted sexually, right?
If she was still in coma when they undressed her, then when did she wake up from the coma?
And how does gosick new continent end? Did they really marry?
Where can i read gosick volume 9?
But still thanks for reply.
The_game007May 15, 2021 8:25 AM
May 15, 2021 8:20 AM

Apr 2016
The_game007 said:

Thanks for the reply.
I got really sad and depressed because i got too attached to her character then i read that she was sold into prostitution and she has already suffered so much.

I get what you mean, but just some general advice from me about situations like that. No reason to get that upset about a made-up story. You can always invent something different in your head and it will be just as valid because it's gonna be just as made-up as the original as well. "Canon" is really nothing that people should worry too much about imo. ;)
May 15, 2021 8:28 AM
May 2021
Pit93 said:
The_game007 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I get what you mean, but just some general advice from me about situations like that. No reason to get that upset about a made-up story. You can always invent something different in your head and it will be just as valid because it's gonna be just as made-up as the original as well. "Canon" is really nothing that people should worry too much about imo. ;)

Thanks for the advice, i have to try and not get attached to the characters. I always get depressed or feel bad when something like this happens. I know i have to stop over thinking but i cant help how do you do it?
May 15, 2021 9:29 AM

Apr 2016
The_game007 said:

Thanks for the advice, i have to try and not get attached to the characters. I always get depressed or feel bad when something like this happens. I know i have to stop over thinking but i cant help how do you do it?

No problem in getting attached, just remind yourself that in the end the version of them where they may have suffered is just as made-up as the one you can make up in your own head where they might be happy. Nothing in the real world actually changes, only your perception about them. :)
May 15, 2021 9:32 AM
May 2021
Pit93 said:
The_game007 said:

No problem in getting attached, just remind yourself that in the end the version of them where they may have suffered is just as made-up as the one you can make up in your own head where they might be happy. Nothing in the real world actually changes, only your perception about them. :)

Thanks man i will try it. I understand what you mean.
But still just once can you clear my last doubts(above questions i attached it below)

The_game007 said:
Zefyris said:

Thanks for the reply.
If she was still in coma when they undressed her, then when did she wake up from the coma?
May 15, 2021 3:39 PM

Apr 2013
The_game007 said:
Zefyris said:

Thanks for the reply.

she wasn't. She was sold to be a prostitute, so they didn't do anything to her in her sleep, for the buyer, she was precious merchandise, hence why he asked one of his women servant to wash he after he bought her; and that's when the tattoo as discovered.
I don' remember how much time it too her to come back to her senses, but I believe it wasn't that long. She lost consciousness because she wasn't on land for too long, she recovered a while after landing.
In the last scene in Manhattan, Kazuya calls Victorique his "wife " while presenting them to others. Due to the timeskip in between, we've never seen the wedding though, but that was after they've landed in Manhattan not before, since in the colour volumes happening in between the end scene of the anime and the last scene I just talked about, they weren't married yet.

It's only available in Japanese afaik, it was never translated. So the only way is to buy it from amazon and the like and read it in Japanese.
May 20, 2021 8:06 PM
May 2021
Zefyris said:
In the LN, there is supernatural involved (a bit, but important), and situation for victorique and her mother is far harsher (well, it was harsher the whole time, the anime version basically removed all part that could shock viewers). The main things (who dies, who don't, who ends up with who) are mostly the same. One exception is that Victorique's father doesn't die, and was never in danger of dying. the scene of Victorique's mother fighting doesn't exist. It doesn't make sense anyway, as she is a dancer, not a fighter; and victorique's father is a politician and a noble, not a fighter either.
Instead, her mother indeed take place of victorique as well (but it's inside a prison, told you victorique's position was on a whole different level of "harsh" compared to anime), and as soon as she's discovered, she's executed with one of the Brian roscoe by guards piercing her with their spear without them trying to resist.
The second brian roscoe doesn't fall from a cliff. He does indeed die on the boat, but for a whole different (and far more logical reason).

Supernatural power cannot leave the old continent. Brian Roscoe is a pure blooded Seirun tribe, and as such, is a supernatural tribe. He dies after weakening a lot on the boat, just like any other supernatural being who tried to escape the old continent because of war. Victorique however survives because she's a mixed blood. Still, her hair completely lose the golden color (that part wasn't explained in the anime), and is in coma state when arriving to japan.

If I remember correctly the "supernatural" part was never mentioned in anime.
So why does her hair change color when she leaves the continent.
Did the anime remove the supernatural part and does that mean she never fells in coma in anime and that part where victorique tattooed herself never happened either?

The_game007May 20, 2021 8:31 PM
May 21, 2021 1:07 AM

Apr 2013
The_game007 said:
Zefyris said:

Supernatural power cannot leave the old continent. Brian Roscoe is a pure blooded Seirun tribe, and as such, is a supernatural tribe. He dies after weakening a lot on the boat, just like any other supernatural being who tried to escape the old continent because of war. Victorique however survives because she's a mixed blood. Still, her hair completely lose the golden color (that part wasn't explained in the anime), and is in coma state when arriving to japan.

Did the anime remove the supernatural part and does that mean she never fells in coma in anime and that part where victorique tattooed herself never happened either?

yes, the anime removed all of the supernatural baring the predictions of war and the supernatural intelligence of Victorique.
Her hair change colour because she's half a creature of legend, who is bound to the "old continent " like all of them. Fleeing by boat for so long so far of the coast cost her that bound and it is reflected by the loss of the golden colour. She only survived because she was a half. The twin accompanying her didn't survive the travel (in the novel, there is no accident whatsoever happening to him, he just weakens and weakens and die on the boat IIRC). Victorique was heavily weakened for a while and that's why she was in coma, but her half human status made her survive it.
and yes, tattoo, coma, never happened in the anime. that part wasn't out in the novel yet when the anime aired btw, it was still being wirtten.
May 21, 2021 10:37 AM
May 2021
Zefyris said:
The_game007 said:

yes, the anime removed all of the supernatural baring the predictions of war and the supernatural intelligence of Victorique.
Her hair change colour because she's half a creature of legend, who is bound to the "old continent " like all of them. Fleeing by boat for so long so far of the coast cost her that bound and it is reflected by the loss of the golden colour. She only survived because she was a half. The twin accompanying her didn't survive the travel (in the novel, there is no accident whatsoever happening to him, he just weakens and weakens and die on the boat IIRC). Victorique was heavily weakened for a while and that's why she was in coma, but her half human status made her survive it.
and yes, tattoo, coma, never happened in the anime. that part wasn't out in the novel yet when the anime aired btw, it was still being wirtten.
Zefyris said:
The_game007 said:

But if the anime removes the supernatural part and her hair changes colour due to it, what was the reason behind the colour change in anime?
May 21, 2021 11:34 AM

Apr 2013
The_game007 said:
Zefyris said:

Zefyris said:

But if the anime removes the supernatural part and her hair changes colour due to it, what was the reason behind the colour change in anime?

in the anime, she tainted it to avoid being recognised iirc.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Need Help Finding Gosick Volumes

Ibune - May 24, 2020

5 by Ilfracombe »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:55 PM

» Kodakawa bunko announced that they will publish a GOSICK 's sequel by the end of 2013

Zefyris - Nov 30, 2013

10 by issen-ken-taka »»
Aug 23, 2014 5:49 AM

» English Release

Fang-tan - Jul 30, 2009

8 by CherryChan98 »»
Nov 8, 2012 7:21 AM

» Is Amazon a good site?

aoimotion - Jun 12, 2011

7 by Karhu »»
Mar 12, 2012 6:21 AM

» Which chapter of the novel matches the end of the anime?

aoimotion - Jun 13, 2011

2 by Faust721 »»
Jun 18, 2011 1:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.