Forums
New
Aug 11, 2014 8:16 PM
Jan 2011
Or are they different?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 13, 2014 4:24 AM

Apr 2013
Depends on what part you're talking about.
The last arc is quite different in the anime and LN.
In the LN, there is supernatural involved (a bit, but important), and situation for victorique and her mother is far harsher (well, it was harsher the whole time, the anime version basically removed all part that could shock viewers). The main things (who dies, who don't, who ends up with who) are mostly the same. One exception is that Victorique's father doesn't die, and was never in danger of dying. the scene of Victorique's mother fighting doesn't exist. It doesn't make sense anyway, as she is a dancer, not a fighter; and victorique's father is a politician and a noble, not a fighter either.
Instead, her mother indeed take place of victorique as well (but it's inside a prison, told you victorique's position was on a whole different level of "harsh" compared to anime), and as soon as she's discovered, she's executed with one of the Brian roscoe by guards piercing her with their spear without them trying to resist.
The second brian roscoe doesn't fall from a cliff. He does indeed die on the boat, but for a whole different (and far more logical reason).

Supernatural power cannot leave the old continent. Brian Roscoe is a pure blooded Seirun tribe, and as such, is a supernatural tribe. He dies after weakening a lot on the boat, just like any other supernatural being who tried to escape the old continent because of war. Victorique however survives because she's a mixed blood. Still, her hair completely lose the golden color (that part wasn't explained in the anime), and is in coma state when arriving to japan. There, she's sold by the boat crew to a japanese procurer, who intends to do of victorique a prostitute. However, when he undress her to give her a bath as she's still unconscious, he realize this won't work for a good reason and leave her free. That 'good reason" is due to a scene that doesn't happen in the anime either. Awesome scene, which is replaced by that scene with victorique looking at Kazuya by the window and crying in the anime. Well, both scene were good, in a different way. In the LN, Victorique is awesome in that specific scene ( she tatoo herself) from start to finish (when his brother comes to bring her to prison); in the anime, the emotional impact here is strong, but victorique is her usual crying self, so her development as a character is lost.
The head of the academy faction (who fled in the anime) never fled since he had no reason to (the katamibako was never delivered to the occult faction) for example, so those weird guys screaming "monstre charmant" everywhere wearing a rabbit head never appear in the LN, that's an invention (and a poor one imo) of the Anime staff, so differences exists in previous arcs as well, and those differences together are heavy enough to change heavily the last arc.

Well, there's a lot of differences like this. They still reunite in japan in 1929, victorique's hair color stil change, both brian and Cordelia dies for example, but the path to reach this is quite different. There is an additional part in manhattan in 1934 after their reunion in 1929 as well, where they're running a detective agency named "gray wolf detective agency".

If you want more specific info, you can ask, but since I finished to read the series last year, cannot promise you that I'll remember everything. As a general rule, any scene that seems weird or illogical -if you think about them- in the anime (there's a lot, especially near the end) were either created by the anime staff, or the anime missed a specific scene related to the explanation of them.
Aug 23, 2014 5:57 AM

Aug 2011
Firstly, regarding this:

Zefyris said:
The LN doesn't simply imply it, as it ends with a few pages in 1934 (so 3 years after gosick red btw) with Kazuya and Victorique Married and running that detective agency in Manhattan.

So they get married in both the endings. K.

Zefyris said:

As for why they are in the US, it goes very well with the explanations of the second world war in Gosick (which is completely different of the 2nd WW in our world ) [...]

What are the historical differences? I got it that the war starts earlier... anything else?

Zefyris said:
[...] as well as the nature of Victorique, and so on. [...]

What are Grey Wolves, ultimately? Didn't find any explanations anywhere... And is there anything else special about Victorique and her mother other than being Grey Wolves?

Zefyris said:

Those explanations are only given in the LN though, as the anime has a really different take in the last arc compared to the original work; so the meaning behind the war, who participated, who won, what happened to legendary beings like the Seirun tribe,why does the second Roscoe die and why does the hair color of Victorique change, everything is linked but that link is completely avoided in the anime.

1. So, the final arcs differ in the anime and novel?
2. Same questions about the war as above.
3. The what tribe?
4. Why does he die? And why does the hair color change?

So when I asked you to explain... I mostly referred to everything :P
Any help is appreciated, finisher of the novel!
Aug 23, 2014 4:04 PM

Apr 2013
2&a) It's basically America (new continent) vs eurasia countries (old continent). New continent has an overwhelming technology advantage, as contrary to the old continent, their scientific progress were not restrained by old superstitions like it was in Europe (as an example, Take Victorique's country, with that occult ministry (lead by victorique's father) always restraining the scientific ministry). It's quite a unilateral slaughter. Sauville manages thanks to Victorique (drugged permanently to be put in a special state) to resist for quite a while, as she basically predict any event so they can retreat/ surprise attack or whatever, basically knowing the future. However, to function Victorique need to be feed permanently with objective informations. The informations coming from journalists and the like, they are subjectives. After around a year of predicting, she starts to loses accuracy more and more, before she's rescued by her mother.
The new continent ultimately wins; this also kind of marks the end of the "occult domination" on the old continent.

b&3) they are a legendary tribe called the seirun tribe. They're supernatural beings, superior to humans in mind who were living long ago in the eastern europe. They were chased down and murdered in the age of witch hunt for obvious reasons. They fled more and more away from the inquisition and the pogroms until the survivors secluded themselves in a mountain area in western europe, in sauville. Legendary/supernatural beings as well as old divinities are living on the old continent; the seirun tribe isn't especially unique. Most of them are living hidden, although some choose to adapt themselves and live under false identities among human communities.

4) kind of answered above already. Supernatural creatures can only live on the old continent. They die if they leave it. That's why Brian Roscoe dies on the boat. And that's why Victorique, who's half supernatural being, almost die, her hair lose color, and she later fall into coma state.
Aug 29, 2014 6:07 AM

Aug 2011
What?! My God! The novel makes no sense!
WW2 is good ol' 'murica vs Europe AND Asia! But, they'd lose! It's the Soviet Union + Nazis + British Empire + France, actually, drop them, they suck + Italy vs USA...
Unless WW1 went another was as well. Actually, I give up trying to understand the political situation in Gosick. Code Geass was less complicated with Zero-Roman British and Napoleon taking Albion...
Also, didn't Victorique receive subjective information form the very beginning. So, her abilities shouldn't have worked at all, rather than just lose efficiency in time...

ACTUALLY, ignore everything I said above. I give up on trying to understand that. But I might still understand the next things:

1. So the seirun are the grey wolves or not? I'm guessing not, since Roscoe was not blonde... The seirun aren't even mentioned in the anime, are they?

2. So what are the grey wolves, then?

3. So, if she goes into a coma when she leaves the continent (because magic), how come she lives in 'murica with her new husband?

Agh, this is complicated. Thanks for your patience!
Aug 30, 2014 1:38 AM

Apr 2013
What?! My God! The novel makes no sense!
WW2 is good ol' 'murica vs Europe AND Asia!

This isn't the same as our world at all. like I said, military technology from america is too above the old continent technology. Besides, the war is in 1925. Germany even in our world was still extremely weakened from the last war, and so was France, with a huge lost of their soldiers in the previous war. Soviet wasn't especially strong so soon after their revolution, either. The previous war mostly did go with the same victors and defeated as in our world, I think.

Think about it, it was 1960-1970 tanks and armaments vs 1925 military technology (which was closer from 1918 military technology than from 1935 technology as far as performance goes imo) and country that were still for several of them recovering from the impact of the previous world war. Do you think a country with such an advanced technology would lose? The war still lasted four whole years.
In gosick, on the old continent, beliefs in occult is strong, and slowed down greatly technological revolution (like in our world) whereas it wasn't the case in America. Gosick make an opposition between the two continent, one where supernatural power exists and that kind of belief is rooted in everyone's consciousness, and one where this did not happen.
So, her abilities shouldn't have worked at all, rather than just lose efficiency in time...

It's the accumulation of it days after days that twisted her perception. It's not like the reports were false, simply that they were not 100% objective. Victorique showed during the whole series the ability to solve things while using at least partially subjective reports.
Victorique's brain wasn't bothered by such small distortion.
It was a small error negligible at first that kept on twisting more and more her exact perception of the current situation.

1. So the seirun are the grey wolves or not?

They are. think there was an explanation for Roscoe's hair color, but I unfortunately don't remember what it was.
So, if she goes into a coma when she leaves the continent (because magic), how come she lives in 'murica with her new husband?

She wakes up from her coma a while after arriving in Japan, so she survived being separated from the old continent in this end, and this is no longer a problem afterward. She "lost" with her depart what was causing such problem. This almost killed her, and killed every single pure blooded supernatural being trying to leave. Maybe it's better to think of it like a difficult surgical operation, I don't know. She got almost killed going through this but afterward, she doesn't have that problem anymore. This is linked to her losing her hair color. Just like she doesn't regain that blond color afterward, she doesn't have the same problem again.
The choice of living in America is very logical. In the novel, Victorique is entrusted with the hope of her mother of a new life free from the old bonds and from the old beliefs. There is no stronger image of this than living on the new continent. On this, this reminds of the old migration of a part of the European population toward america (like the Irish) a few centuries before. Furthermore, bear in mind that in the novel, her father is still alive, and that Japan was allied with Victorique's country. Worse, Kazuya's address was obviously known from the school he went to. On top of being very symbolic, living in America is also the best choice to be freed once and for all from any occult group wanting to use her. Bear in mind, that the "use" of those occult group was far, far, far harsher and cruel in the novel than in the anime. Victorique and her mother suffered greatly from this. America is a continent were the belief in supernatural power doesn't exist in Gosick. There is no better place for her.

Well, just understand that I read it more than one year ago so explaining things from a fuzzy memory may no be the best way to make things clear and understandable, so takes the explanation with a grain of salt.
ZefyrisAug 30, 2014 1:56 AM
Aug 30, 2014 10:27 AM

Aug 2011
OK.
OK.
OK.
Still. Britain and Japan were very industrialized. They favored technology a lot. And this was by the end of the 19th century. Ah well, suspension of disbelief.
K. No more questions for the war thing.

One final thing.
So the antagonists aren't defeated in the end of the novel? They just run and hide from them? What a downer ending!

In any case, thanks for your time and patience. Things make much more sense now! Thanks!
Aug 30, 2014 5:39 PM

Apr 2013
that's still more logical than having a dancer and a politician fight with knives as if they were some kind of super heroes though.
I like that scene in the anime since cordelia is bad ass, but let be honest, this is stupid. And so are all those stupidities with the rabbit mask guys everywhere. And so is that scene with Roscoe falling from the cliff. The novel is far more cruel with the protagonist and yes, the villain doesn't get what he deserved, which is another peculiarity of this novel. This author can be pretty harsh with her protagonists, anyone who read satougashi no dangan wa uchinukenai knows that. On this point, Victorique was actually pretty lucky to finish her story by still being alive AND married to kazuya. Compared to Umino Mokuzu, that is. Having read satougashi before the end of gosick, you know when I saw how the novel was starting to turn differently from the anime, I really thought for a good while that Victorique and Kazuya would both meet a dire end, but they didn't.

Japanese in 1925 didn't favor advanced technology. British lost a lot of soldier and war materials during the first world war which ended only 7 years before the second war in gosick.
Aug 31, 2014 12:19 PM

Aug 2011
Ah, well, bittersweet, I guess.
Well, thank you for you patience in explaining all this. It was very kind of you.
Hope we'll meet again on the forums.
Sep 17, 2014 11:16 PM
Dec 2013
Bumping an old thread but, does the anime have a conclusive ending then?
Sep 18, 2014 8:51 AM

Apr 2013
it does. Things are completely different on "how they happen", but the result of those events is the same most of the time.
And that wasn't especially an old thread, last post was 18 days old.
Sep 25, 2014 12:59 AM
Dec 2013
Ty for the reply!
Nov 28, 2015 8:27 AM
Sep 2013
Zefyris said:
Depends on what part you're talking about.
The last arc is quite different in the anime and LN.
In the LN, there is supernatural involved (a bit, but important), and situation for victorique and her mother is far harsher (well, it was harsher the whole time, the anime version basically removed all part that could shock viewers). The main things (who dies, who don't, who ends up with who) are mostly the same. One exception is that Victorique's father doesn't die, and was never in danger of dying. the scene of Victorique's mother fighting doesn't exist. It doesn't make sense anyway, as she is a dancer, not a fighter; and victorique's father is a politician and a noble, not a fighter either.
Instead, her mother indeed take place of victorique as well (but it's inside a prison, told you victorique's position was on a whole different level of "harsh" compared to anime), and as soon as she's discovered, she's executed with one of the Brian roscoe by guards piercing her with their spear without them trying to resist.
The second brian roscoe doesn't fall from a cliff. He does indeed die on the boat, but for a whole different (and far more logical reason).

Supernatural power cannot leave the old continent. Brian Roscoe is a pure blooded Seirun tribe, and as such, is a supernatural tribe. He dies after weakening a lot on the boat, just like any other supernatural being who tried to escape the old continent because of war. Victorique however survives because she's a mixed blood. Still, her hair completely lose the golden color (that part wasn't explained in the anime), and is in coma state when arriving to japan. There, she's sold by the boat crew to a japanese procurer, who intends to do of victorique a prostitute. However, when he undress her to give her a bath as she's still unconscious, he realize this won't work for a good reason and leave her free. That 'good reason" is due to a scene that doesn't happen in the anime either. Awesome scene, which is replaced by that scene with victorique looking at Kazuya by the window and crying in the anime. Well, both scene were good, in a different way. In the LN, Victorique is awesome in that specific scene ( she tatoo herself) from start to finish (when his brother comes to bring her to prison); in the anime, the emotional impact here is strong, but victorique is her usual crying self, so her development as a character is lost.
The head of the academy faction (who fled in the anime) never fled since he had no reason to (the katamibako was never delivered to the occult faction) for example, so those weird guys screaming "monstre charmant" everywhere wearing a rabbit head never appear in the LN, that's an invention (and a poor one imo) of the Anime staff, so differences exists in previous arcs as well, and those differences together are heavy enough to change heavily the last arc.

Well, there's a lot of differences like this. They still reunite in japan in 1929, victorique's hair color stil change, both brian and Cordelia dies for example, but the path to reach this is quite different. There is an additional part in manhattan in 1934 after their reunion in 1929 as well, where they're running a detective agency named "gray wolf detective agency".

If you want more specific info, you can ask, but since I finished to read the series last year, cannot promise you that I'll remember everything. As a general rule, any scene that seems weird or illogical -if you think about them- in the anime (there's a lot, especially near the end) were either created by the anime staff, or the anime missed a specific scene related to the explanation of them.

good day, where can i read the gosick light novel?
any tip on finding light novels? im just getting started being into it xD (read 2 LN so far hakomari and toradora)

Nov 28, 2015 12:51 PM

Apr 2013
it has never be translated (well a few volumes have been, but not the second half at all afaik) so the only way to read the Gosick light novels entirely is to do like I did, IE, buying them in their japanese version and read them directly like that.

Gosick I was the first light novel I've read in japanese btw, so since I'm at more than four hundred volumes read by now, so that takes me back~.
Nov 28, 2015 4:58 PM
Sep 2013
Zefyris said:
it has never be translated (well a few volumes have been, but not the second half at all afaik) so the only way to read the Gosick light novels entirely is to do like I did, IE, buying them in their japanese version and read them directly like that.

Gosick I was the first light novel I've read in japanese btw, so since I'm at more than four hundred volumes read by now, so that takes me back~.

i see thnks!
mind if I add u? i like ur LN corne.
I plan to read those 10/10 scores xD

Nov 29, 2015 12:43 AM

Apr 2013
Half of them aren't currently available translated though, but I don't mind anyway x).
Nov 29, 2015 4:39 AM
Sep 2013
Zefyris said:
Half of them aren't currently available translated though, but I don't mind anyway x).
Zefyris said:

so u read them in jap? O:

Nov 29, 2015 5:53 AM

Apr 2013
I read every LN/novel from japan in japanese. So I've read more than 400 volumes in japanese indeed. Like i said, Gosick 1 was the first novel volume I read in japanese.
Nov 29, 2015 6:02 AM
Sep 2013
Zefyris said:
I read every LN/novel from japan in japanese. So I've read more than 400 volumes in japanese indeed. Like i said, Gosick 1 was the first novel volume I read in japanese.

wow thats great, how I wish I can understand japanese, and read japanese characters =))

Apr 22, 2017 12:27 PM

Oct 2015
Zefyris said:
Why isn't Gosick Red here in MAL's database?
Apr 22, 2017 1:51 PM

Apr 2013
Nostalgik said:
Zefyris said:

Because MAL only allows to create entries for novels published under labels acknowledged to be LN label (or in case where it's difficult to say if it is or isn't), and gosick red is published in a label that isn't recognised by MAL as such.
Apr 22, 2017 2:05 PM

Oct 2015
Zefyris said:
Nostalgik said:

Because MAL only allows to create entries for novels published under labels acknowledged to be LN label (or in case where it's difficult to say if it is or isn't), and gosick red is published in a label that isn't recognised by MAL as such.
That's pretty damn sad :(
Jul 25, 2017 6:40 AM
Jan 2009
just posting to follow this thread. thanks. ^_^
Jan 13, 2019 5:59 PM
Dec 2016
Same. Thanks for the clarification.
Jun 23, 2019 8:38 AM
Sep 2017
Does anyone know what the author has been up to? I haven't heard any news from her or Gosick since Gosick Green. I have never read the novels but I still can't get over it, Gosick is one my favorite series even after all this time. I remember waiting patiently for agrifolia to post a new translated chapter until '(s)he' did no more. Guess it's time to start learning Japanese then.
Does anyone know what happens in G. pink or green at least? I've read a brief summary but I have always felt empty-handed with them. I remember reading in a random forum Victorique dealt with some serious drug addiction at some point and that she wasn't very healthy by the time they reached the new continent.Apparently Kujo was also shot in a leg during the war and he had some trouble walking(?). Is this true though? Just wondering if anyone could say something about this xD
Jun 27, 2019 11:58 AM

Apr 2013
Whiskey-chan said:
Does anyone know what the author has been up to? I haven't heard any news from her or Gosick since Gosick Green. I have never read the novels but I still can't get over it, Gosick is one my favorite series even after all this time. I remember waiting patiently for agrifolia to post a new translated chapter until '(s)he' did no more. Guess it's time to start learning Japanese then.
Does anyone know what happens in G. pink or green at least? I've read a brief summary but I have always felt empty-handed with them. I remember reading in a random forum Victorique dealt with some serious drug addiction at some point and that she wasn't very healthy by the time they reached the new continent.Apparently Kujo was also shot in a leg during the war and he had some trouble walking(?). Is this true though? Just wondering if anyone could say something about this xD

She hasn't released any new volume after Gosick Green for Gosick but has been released other novels. A few months ago, she released a novel called 傷痕.

That was probably me talking about the drug addiction. The drug addiction is something that didn't happen in the anime version but in the novel, when she's used by her father to predict the enemy's movement, she' heavily drugged all the time for 11 months to rob her of any sense of time or any capacity of refusing to help.
After her mother saved her, drug injection was stopped so she woke up, but the drug addiction' aftermath kept torturing her for years afterwards.
the leg part is true, and I think the anime actually shows something similar.

I've read pink years ago but it's not with me right now so I barely remember anything and can't look into it to remember what that one was about. What I remember was that I wasn't especially impressed by it. I have bought Green as well but due to this I have yet to read it.
Jun 29, 2019 3:09 PM
Sep 2017
Zefyris said:
Whiskey-chan said:

She hasn't released any new volume after Gosick Green for Gosick but has been released other novels. A few months ago, she released a novel called 傷痕.

That was probably me talking about the drug addiction. The drug addiction is something that didn't happen in the anime version but in the novel, when she's used by her father to predict the enemy's movement, she' heavily drugged all the time for 11 months to rob her of any sense of time or any capacity of refusing to help.
After her mother saved her, drug injection was stopped so she woke up, but the drug addiction' aftermath kept torturing her for years afterwards.

I've read pink years ago but it's not with me right now so I barely remember anything and can't look into it to remember what that one was about. What I remember was that I wasn't especially impressed by it. I have bought Green as well but due to this I have yet to read it.

I knew your nickname and dp were somewhat familiar ^-^'
I believe the author had been in some sort of hiatus before and had to finish the last 3 volumes in about 6 months, so I'm guessing this time it's probably the same situation (I hope). That's a very suggestive name for a book though, might give it a check later.

So compared to Blue and Red, Pink was the 'weakest' so far? I thought having Kujo looking for Victorique all around NY would be interesting at the very least. I remember trying to read a fanmade Chinese translation and getting the idea that they were living with Ruri (I didn't even know she was in America) and that Victorique and Ruri's son didn't get along very well. I eventually stopped reading since my Chinese is not that good and I used to spend more time checking the dictionary than actually reading.

I'd just like to ask you one thing tho. That part in the anime in which they are separated after the Christmas party, does it also happen in the books? I read once that they had a very intense scene in the last book but no one ever explained what happened. I was also told there was a really cute scene in which they eat fruits from the library's garden together but I'm not really sure whether that was the 'intense' scene or not. Do you still remember something about that? Sorry to bother you about that ;~;
Jun 30, 2019 9:29 AM

Apr 2013
Whiskey-chan said:
Zefyris said:

I believe the author had been in some sort of hiatus before and had to finish the last 3 volumes in about 6 months, so I'm guessing this time it's probably the same situation (I hope). That's a very suggestive name for a book though, might give it a check later.

So compared to Blue and Red, Pink was the 'weakest' so far? I thought having Kujo looking for Victorique all around NY would be interesting at the very least. I remember trying to read a fanmade Chinese translation and getting the idea that they were living with Ruri (I didn't even know she was in America) and that Victorique and Ruri's son didn't get along very well. I eventually stopped reading since my Chinese is not that good and I used to spend more time checking the dictionary than actually reading.

I'd just like to ask you one thing tho. That part in the anime in which they are separated after the Christmas party, does it also happen in the books? I read once that they had a very intense scene in the last book but no one ever explained what happened. I was also told there was a really cute scene in which they eat fruits from the library's garden together but I'm not really sure whether that was the 'intense' scene or not. Do you still remember something about that? Sorry to bother you about that ;~;

Probably the weakest yes. Too much reliance on random, luck or lack of luck, and characters not properly telling each other important infos; and no real progress felt for the overall story.

Ruri was living over there before Kujou and Victorique moved to the US. Ruri's husband is Japan's ambassador in the US, or something like that.

It's not really that they don't get along, it's more of a recurring childish fight between the two.

They are separated but not the same way. So the scene with Victorique crying while looking through the windows as peoples ask Kujou to follow them doesn't happen. That intense scene not happening in the anime would be that Tatoo scene I suppose. That scene really strongly shows how much Victorique has grown over her time with Kujou, and how determined she has become.

I... Don't remember the fruit scene, but that's possible. After all, I've read some of those volumes more than 8 years ago, so I can't recall everything.
Jun 30, 2019 12:37 PM
Sep 2017
Probably the weakest yes. Too much reliance on random, luck or lack of luck, and characters not properly telling each other important infos; and no real progress felt for the overall story.

Ruri was living over there before Kujou and Victorique moved to the US. Ruri's husband is Japan's ambassador in the US, or something like that.

It's not really that they don't get along, it's more of a recurring childish fight between the two.

They are separated but not the same way. So the scene with Victorique crying while looking through the windows as peoples ask Kujou to follow them doesn't happen. That intense scene not happening in the anime would be that Tatoo scene I suppose. That scene really strongly shows how much Victorique has grown over her time with Kujou, and how determined she has become.

I... Don't remember the fruit scene, but that's possible. After all, I've read some of those volumes more than 8 years ago, so I can't recall everything.
[/quote]

Well, that sounds pretty disappointing. I hope the author has managed to pick up again in Green. Perhaps that's the reason she's taking a break.

Thank you for the info ^^
Aug 10, 2019 6:22 PM
Dec 2017
Could you tell me what happened to avril in the latest book and how her live was
Baoyeuconpo9999Aug 10, 2019 6:26 PM
Aug 21, 2019 5:04 AM
Sep 2017
Zefyris said:
Whiskey-chan said:

I'm sorry to bring this back but there's this thing I haven't figured out yet. You know, Kujou and Victorique moved to New York out of pure luck or there was a reason behind it?
I've seen some people speculating that it was due to the fact that Marquis de Blois would try to track her down but after reading a Gosick Blue review, I felt Kujou's father was the one to blame this time. It was mentioned that he didn't agree to something and tried to ship her back to her home country. Moving to NY specifically might have been because of Ruri, but I was just wondering what actually made them leave Japan (despite [I guess] the fact of trying to find a better life in a new country untouched by the war).

Do you know or remember anything about this? :0
Aug 23, 2019 6:56 AM

Apr 2013
Sorry, for Avril, I don't remember what she became.
Whiskey-chan said:
Zefyris said:

I'm sorry to bring this back but there's this thing I haven't figured out yet. You know, Kujou and Victorique moved to New York out of pure luck or there was a reason behind it?
I've seen some people speculating that it was due to the fact that Marquis de Blois would try to track her down but after reading a Gosick Blue review, I felt Kujou's father was the one to blame this time. It was mentioned that he didn't agree to something and tried to ship her back to her home country. Moving to NY specifically might have been because of Ruri, but I was just wondering what actually made them leave Japan (despite [I guess] the fact of trying to find a better life in a new country untouched by the war).

Do you know or remember anything about this? :0

Hmm, the cause is multiple
-The new continent was always interesting them because of it being not reachable by Victorique's very influential father;
-The disagreement between Kujou/Victorique and Kujou's father pushed them to move there faster than they may have moved otherwise
-Kujou's sister being in Manhattan (as she's married to Japan's ambassador in the US) meant that this town in particular was interesting because they could easily leave in his sister's house for a while until they could find jobs and their own place to live.
ZefyrisAug 23, 2019 7:00 AM
Aug 23, 2019 7:44 AM
Sep 2017
Zefyris said:
Sorry, for Avril, I don't remember what she became

-The new continent was always interesting them because of it being not reachable by Victorique's very influential father;
-The disagreement between Kujou/Victorique and Kujou's father pushed them to move there faster than they may have moved otherwise
-Kujou's sister being in Manhattan (as she's married to Japan's ambassador in the US) meant that this town in particular was interesting because they could easily leave in his sister's house for a while until they could find jobs and their own place to live.

I see... but why exactly did Kujou's father disapprove of their relationship? Was it because she wasn't Japanese or is it related to the war in some way?
Aug 23, 2019 7:54 AM

Apr 2013
Whiskey-chan said:
Zefyris said:
Sorry, for Avril, I don't remember what she became

I see... but why exactly did Kujou's father disapprove of their relationship? Was it because she wasn't Japanese or is it related to the war in some way?

IIRC Victorique's attitude got on his nerves, which is a pretty easy thing to do considering how different those peoples are. That's IIRC though. He may have wanted him to marry someone Japanese as well, but I can't remember if that was mentioned or not, after all those years.
Aug 24, 2019 2:42 PM
Sep 2017
[quote=Zefyris][quote=Whiskey-chan message=58242751]
Zefyris said:

IIRC Victorique's attitude got on his nerves, which is a pretty easy thing to do considering how different those peoples are. That's IIRC though. He may have wanted him to marry someone Japanese as well, but I can't remember if that was mentioned or not, after all those years.

Oh... Well, I guess it can't be helped. It seems Victorique hasn't changed much after all, since she's still a bit hard to deal with. I thought that after all they've been through, both of them would have changed in some way, but I'm guessing adult life stress also plays a role here.
I remember reading a thread in which someone mentioned that their relationship hasn't progressed at all and that they're pretty much the same. How true is that though? Do you think the author would like to "start from scratch" for some reason? Sorry for asking so many things ^^'
Aug 24, 2019 3:15 PM

Apr 2013
[quote=Whiskey-chan message=58250896][quote=Zefyris]
Whiskey-chan said:
Zefyris said:

Oh... Well, I guess it can't be helped. It seems Victorique hasn't changed much after all, since she's still a bit hard to deal with. I thought that after all they've been through, both of them would have changed in some way, but I'm guessing adult life stress also plays a role here.
I remember reading a thread in which someone mentioned that their relationship hasn't progressed at all and that they're pretty much the same. How true is that though? Do you think the author would like to "start from scratch" for some reason? Sorry for asking so many things ^^'

Their relationship had progressed quite a bit in the main series by the end of it, and so was Victorique as a character, but with the "color" volumes, it felt like both of those progresses regressed for no apparent reason. This is one of my main complain about the "color" volumes, probably the part that felt the most disappointing to me.
Aug 25, 2019 5:25 AM
Sep 2017
[quote=Zefyris][quote=Whiskey-chan message=58250896]
Zefyris said:
Whiskey-chan said:

Their relationship had progressed quite a bit in the main series by the end of it, and so was Victorique as a character, but with the "color" volumes, it felt like both of those progresses regressed for no apparent reason. This is one of my main complain about the "color" volumes, probably the part that felt the most disappointing to me.

That's quite a disappointment :/ Perhaps it will be explained by the end of the series... If not, I can't think of anything that would put it as a deliberated choice. Even in the anime, there was some progress in their relationship. Could that be the climax in this new continent series? I mean, Victorique seems to be always threatening Kujou, saying she'll leave him. Could their promise under the cherry blossoms be at stake? :0
Aug 25, 2019 8:56 AM

Apr 2013
[quote=Whiskey-chan message=58254036][quote=Zefyris]
Whiskey-chan said:
Zefyris said:

That's quite a disappointment :/ Perhaps it will be explained by the end of the series... If not, I can't think of anything that would put it as a deliberated choice. Even in the anime, there was some progress in their relationship. Could that be the climax in this new continent series? I mean, Victorique seems to be always threatening Kujou, saying she'll leave him. Could their promise under the cherry blossoms be at stake? :0

Well we know from the end of the main series that they will end up married to each other in 2-3 years after the current colour volumes at most so there's no risk at all really.
Sep 15, 2019 1:09 AM
Mar 2016
[quote=Zefyris message=58255094][quote=Whiskey-chan message=58254036]
Zefyris said:
Whiskey-chan said:

Well we know from the end of the main series that they will end up married to each other in 2-3 years after the current colour volumes at most so there's no risk at all really.

so are red blue green pink worth my time?? cuz judging from ur replies it seems that there is not much story... can u please tell me whats the plot of colors in detail if its actually possible for u... and can u please tell me as to what happens after the anime ... does the story continues in gosick colors??
Sep 17, 2019 8:51 AM

Apr 2013
[quote=maaz_hk message=58366853][quote=Zefyris message=58255094]
Whiskey-chan said:
Zefyris said:

so are red blue green pink worth my time?? cuz judging from ur replies it seems that there is not much story... can u please tell me whats the plot of colors in detail if its actually possible for u... and can u please tell me as to what happens after the anime ... does the story continues in gosick colors??

Define "worth your time". I can't speak for everyone and I haven't read the last one (mostly because the previous ones didn't impress me at all so it's still in my backlog , although I had it for like 2 years?), but for me, those colour volumes didn't bring a lot worth mentioning to the story.
A bit, yes, but not that much.
The plot is them solving cases again, this time in New York. A hostage situation, a mysterious death situation, and so on.
Characters themlselves are shown arriving to manhattan in one of the book and finding a place to live, finding a job and the like, so the whole thing progress a bit, but it's mostly focused on the sub plot. There seems to be some kind of overarching plot hinted several times with some individuals acting in the background, but except if was finally done in the last volume, it had led nowhere so far.
Jan 5, 2020 3:53 AM

Apr 2016
@Zefyris
I'm curious about that part about Victorique tattooing herself and the implications.

You said that it was a powerful moment in her character development and it even saved her from that brothel at a later point in the story. Could you please elaborate a bit on these parts? :)

Like why did she tattoo herself and why was this so important, what led to this and what was her goal in doing so? What was the symbol she tattooed and where on her body? And how did that get her out of the brothel?

I love the anime for Gosick but I've always felt that around the end there were a few parts that seemed very strange to me (especially the monster charmant part), so that was definitely different in the novel. Gosick is actually one of the novels that's motivating me to learn Japanese, because i REALLY want to be able to read the story myself at some point. ^^

But if you could answer my questions, that would be awesome. :)
Jan 9, 2020 9:41 AM

Apr 2013
@Pit93
Basically Victorique is asked by her father to follow her later the next day after Kazuya has to leave the school.
Victorique had only a short time alone before she would be forced to follow her father's men, so she went in her bedroom with the sheet of paper on which Kazuya wrote his own japanese address... Completely in Japanese.
She accurately guessed that there was no way she'll still have that paper with the address on by the time she'll get free of her father -if that were to ever happen, that is.

Victorique decided to copy the address Kazuya left behind for his home in japan, without understanding it (since it was in kanji) on her body. She took a needle heated to red in a candle's fire or something like that, ink, and proceeded to tattoo herself with the complex kanji address he left behind, reproducing stroke by stroke the long and complex address on her skin.

Imagine Victorique who was so vulnerable to physical pain that she was crying all the time for even the slightest pain inflicted to her, as a complete tatoo amateur doing it for the first time, with no proper tool just a heated needle, starting to tattoo herself the very long address around her hip (I think it was on her hip).
This scene is very powerfully written and really shows how much Victorique has been changed by Kazuya, and how resolute to survive and meet him again she had become.

Cecile arrives in the middle of it and is astonished to see Victorique doing that without uttering a sound at the violent pain she was inflicting herself. Understanding Victorique's resolution, Cecile locks the door behind her and take the needle from Victorique to do it herself.
When Victorique finally exits her room, her father's men and brother have been waiting for her for a while that she "finishes changing ". She gets out I believing wearing the school's uniform that she never wore before, as a silent provocation and refusal of her being anything else than a simple human child that they're going to rob the freedom of. The provocation and non-spoken words coming with it actually hits quite hard her brother as well.

Because she has the full japanese address (with the name and such) tattooed on her skin, she cannot be kept by Japanese procurers as this is like keeping the" property" of another Japanese rather than buying and enslaving a stranger; and there's no way to remove the tattoo to hide it. So despite having paid for her, once she wakes up the procurer decides to release her.

After she is released by the procurer, she spent some long time showing her tattoo around to get directions and travelling in Japan without knowing Japanese, simply indicating that she wants to reach that specific address; and finally arrived in Kazuya's home. We don't really follow her in that journey in the novels.
Jan 11, 2020 1:54 PM

Dec 2012
@Zefyris
Holy shit!
it's a shame they didn't adapt this
Jan 12, 2020 12:51 PM

Apr 2016
@Zefyris
Thank you very much for this thorough explanation! :)

Damn, that's really unfortunate that they didn't adapt this. D:
Makes me all the more giddy though to read the novels in their original form at some point in the future. ^^
Jan 21, 2020 7:12 AM
May 2013
I also would love to read all this... but is there even a version online in English?...
Mar 28, 2020 5:34 PM

Oct 2019
That's also what I want to know... I would even buy the english version of the book if there's any possibility.
May 4, 2020 6:54 PM
Mar 2020
@Zefyris
Still, her hair completely lose the golden color (that part wasn't explained in the anime), and is in coma state when arriving to japan. There, she's sold by the boat crew to a japanese procurer, who intends to do of victorique a prostitute. However, when he undress her to give her a bath as she's still unconscious, he realize this won't work for a good reason and leave her free.

So she's been sexually assaulted by the boat crew? Damn that's was so sad.
Natsuki_HitamaMay 4, 2020 7:02 PM
May 5, 2020 2:27 AM

Apr 2013
Jaymarkirad said:

So she's been sexually assaulted by the boat crew? Damn that's was so sad.

She hasn't. What made you think that in what I described ?
Jun 9, 2020 7:39 PM
Oct 2014
Guys, are there Sequel novels in english language to purchase?
Jun 10, 2020 4:18 AM

Apr 2013
NathanMDA said:
Guys, are there Sequel novels in english language to purchase?

there isn't.
even the main novel series is not fully available in english, let alone the short stories volumes and the colour sequel volumes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Need Help Finding Gosick Volumes

Ibune - May 24, 2020

5 by Ilfracombe »»
Dec 5, 2023 2:55 PM

» Kodakawa bunko announced that they will publish a GOSICK 's sequel by the end of 2013

Zefyris - Nov 30, 2013

10 by issen-ken-taka »»
Aug 23, 2014 5:49 AM

» English Release

Fang-tan - Jul 30, 2009

8 by CherryChan98 »»
Nov 8, 2012 7:21 AM

» Is Amazon a good site?

aoimotion - Jun 12, 2011

7 by Karhu »»
Mar 12, 2012 6:21 AM

» Which chapter of the novel matches the end of the anime?

aoimotion - Jun 13, 2011

2 by Faust721 »»
Jun 18, 2011 1:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.