Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2009 11:18 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Power Up!

This episode shows the origin and Astro Boy's first mission.

All 5 DVDs are available right now at Wal-Mart because of the upcoming release of Astro Boy the Movie.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 26, 2009 6:13 PM

Jul 2009
So little love for this series, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It captured the essence of the manga spectacularly. I don't understand the hate for the dub either, the changes are very, very minor, with the largest being the removal of the OP & ED. Everything else was minor, like Astro taking on a personality a little older than the age he looks which only amounts to a bit of extra American slang.

It is annoying all the torrents for this seem to be down half the time, it is definitely one of the greatest anime series I have watched and is a perfect compliment to the manga. But then even the Astro Boy manga is often overlooked, which is sad.
Aug 19, 2010 3:59 PM
Apr 2010
There big noses are funny :)
Sep 5, 2010 7:28 PM
Sep 2010
dethbed said:
So little love for this series, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It captured the essence of the manga spectacularly. I don't understand the hate for the dub either, the changes are very, very minor, with the largest being the removal of the OP & ED. Everything else was minor, like Astro taking on a personality a little older than the age he looks which only amounts to a bit of extra American slang.

It is annoying all the torrents for this seem to be down half the time, it is definitely one of the greatest anime series I have watched and is a perfect compliment to the manga. But then even the Astro Boy manga is often overlooked, which is sad.

The thing is that if one is too see the original through the R3 Korean dvds, one can truly appreciate how beautiful this anime is in all its aspects. We got a cheap release in Pan-scan and letter boxed. It is just nor right, and I believe that Osamu Tezuka's work deserve better.
Dec 19, 2012 8:33 AM
Oct 2012
this first episode sets everything up as do all first espisodes i do really like this series it had alot eggs throwen at it that it did not deserve.it was a shame the creator of astro boy was allredy gone by this time but i really did think it shows human stupity at it's best and i enjoyed the blue knight charter that was introduced later a great balance beteen astro an blue knight.
Jan 2, 2013 10:46 PM
Jan 2011
dethbed said:

They rearranged the episodes and pretty much cut out a lot of things that make the original better and beautiful. The original was animated in bright colours and had good music that's NOT techno to accompany it. Not to mention, it's supposed to be in widescreen. You will miss out on the dubs for sure.
Random. Yeah. Wait you expected me to HAVE a signature or something?
Dec 20, 2015 6:49 PM

Aug 2013
Decent first episode seems like where missing some curial details that'll more then likely be filled in later down the road.
Mar 14, 2020 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
Excited to finally start watching this show. This version was one of the highlights of my childhood. Alongside the video game adaptation, it got some time later. I heard the dub made a lot of changes, tampering with the ost of the more iconic scenes and even adding a new one to give it a more kid-friendly feeling. That and some parts, especially Tenma's who play a big role in this version from what I discerned, were cut and deleted. That is why I am sticking with the original subbed version for now. Maybe I will go out of my way to watch some dubbed episodes since Tenma's English dub voice is glamorous.
removed-userMar 14, 2020 5:22 PM
Nov 12, 2023 7:28 PM
Mar 2019
Watched Pluto, decided to see where it all began.
Atom saves a computer from destroying everything.
Aimed at Kids, but, who cares.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Astro Boy: Tetsuwan Atom Episode 50 Discussion

KonokoAsada - Oct 24, 2021

1 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 9, 12:15 AM

Poll: » Astro Boy: Tetsuwan Atom Episode 49 Discussion

KonokoAsada - Oct 23, 2021

1 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 8, 8:45 PM

Poll: » Astro Boy: Tetsuwan Atom Episode 48 Discussion

KonokoAsada - Oct 21, 2021

1 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 8, 8:05 PM

Poll: » Astro Boy: Tetsuwan Atom Episode 47 Discussion

KonokoAsada - Oct 19, 2021

1 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 8, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Astro Boy: Tetsuwan Atom Episode 45 Discussion

LisbonMapping - Jul 17, 2023

1 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 7, 12:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.