Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Bullet (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Has this series lived up to your expectations?
Jul 29, 2014 2:57 AM

Jul 2013
I have finished watching this series and I must admit this anime could have been a lot better by having 25 instead of 13 episodes as each episode it was packed in too much and seems rushed like you were a clueless chicken at some .point which I had to rewind as to think if I missed a episode.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2014 2:59 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well of course, the pacing was blitzkrieg and was rushed as hell

On the other had it tons of lolis and an awesome soundtrack so it's not all bad at least
Jul 29, 2014 3:13 AM

Jul 2013
HaXXspetten said:

On the other had it tons of lolis and an awesome soundtrack so it's not all bad at least

I do agree with you that the soundtracks are only good but characters were just annoying me to the point where you would want to pull you're brains out except for Tina sprout and Midori
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2014 9:32 PM

Jul 2014
Renaultclio101 said:
HaXXspetten said:

I do agree with you that the soundtracks are only good but characters were just annoying me to the point where you would want to pull you're brains out except for Tina sprout and Midori
I like this anime. My only problems with it are the shitty pacing, lack of character development for supporting characters, and crappy GGI. This anime would of benefitted greatly from a 24 episode season. Really hope we get a season 2 with 24 episodes, but that's problably asking for a lot.
Jul 30, 2014 9:35 PM

Jun 2010
Well, my expectations weren't very high to begin with. I'm just disappointed he didn't manage to form a loli army.
Jul 30, 2014 10:21 PM
Jun 2013
... it has an awesome opening so...
Jul 30, 2014 11:47 PM

Jul 2013
Biscoito said:

So did Angel Beats! and it wasn't all that good either.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jul 31, 2014 12:12 AM

Jul 2014
Biscoito said:
I agree the opening is pretty freaking awesome. Too bad the rest isn't as good. :( I would still watch season 2 if it ever happens.
Jul 31, 2014 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
While, I personally enjoyed the anime myself, I feel that Kadokawa try to force four volumes worth of light novels into a 13 episode series. This is a big problem if you have your writing that has a lot of exposition tied to your plot, if your going to adopt a light novel series like that into an anime adaption, it's better if you adopt 6 volumes worth of light novel content into a two-cour so you have enough room for exposition and characterization.

The light novels were better in characterization and explaining some of the plot holes as well as the politics and philosophy involved. Heck, the author even reminds readers how long Enju has left to live in relation to her corrosion rate.
Jul 31, 2014 6:35 AM

Nov 2013
DarkPaladinX said:
While, I personally enjoyed the anime myself, I feel that Kadokawa try to force four volumes worth of light novels into a 13 episode series. This is a big problem if you have your writing that has a lot of exposition tied to your plot, if your going to adopt a light novel series like that into an anime adaption, it's better if you adopt 6 volumes worth of light novel content into a two-cour so you have enough room for exposition and characterization.

The light novels were better in characterization and explaining some of the plot holes as well as the politics and philosophy involved. Heck, the author even reminds readers how long Enju has left to live in relation to her corrosion rate.
Still better than Mahou Sensou which stuffed 6 volumes into 12 episodes iirc.
Jul 31, 2014 6:36 AM

Jan 2013
Who had high expectations for this shit?
Jul 31, 2014 12:32 PM

Feb 2009
i didn't read the manga or LN or w/e,

I heard it was supposed to be a ripoff of AoT.

but it wasn't anywhere close to it imo. Maybe they failed the crossover from manga to anime,

but i thought it was a solid series that i enjoyed. Take No Game No Life, couldn't have been a more blatant ripoff of Problem Children, and yet it was given high praise.
Jul 31, 2014 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
Marthgun said:

but it wasn't anywhere close to it imo. Maybe they failed the crossover from manga to anime,

but i thought it was a solid series that i enjoyed. Take No Game No Life, couldn't have been a more blatant ripoff of Problem Children, and yet it was given high praise.

The light novels are actually more inspired by Gen Urobuchi's works rather than Attack On Titans. In fact, the author, Shiden Kanzaki, happens to be a huge fan of Gen Urobuchi's and nitroplus's works. He even originally wanted Rentaro's personality similar to Kiritsugu before ditching that idea stating that it wouldn't fit into the setting he's writing in.

In fact, if you think about it, Black Bullet can considered more of a ripoff to Madoka Magica rather than Attack on Titan since both works are written around the same time period (January-March 2011 for Madoka Magica, and July 2011 for Black Bullet). And there are a lot of similarities with Gen Urobuchi's works such as the grimdark/dystopian setting, tendency to sadistically kill off a good number of characters (most of whom are good people at heart), making good-hearted characters like Enju suffer, literary references, and brutal deconstruction of utilitarianism. I could go on to list of similarities and differences between Gen Urobuchi's works and Black Bullet, but that will require me to make another thread for this.
removed-userJul 31, 2014 1:32 PM
Jul 31, 2014 6:18 PM

Nov 2013
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
Everyone I think. That's how I heard about it, the name sounds cool too.

Marthgun said:
It has nothing to do with AoT. People only found the OP to sound similar + big monsters = OMG AoT RIP OFF!!

Marthgun said:
Take No Game No Life, couldn't have been a more blatant ripoff of Problem Children, and yet it was given high praise.
Lolno.
Aug 1, 2014 8:58 PM

May 2014
Botato said:
DarkPaladinX said:

exactly my thought. but to be honest i like black bullet. i enjoyed myself watching all 13 episodes. now mahou sensou was different. i enjoyed that right up until the ending were i feel it didnt just go down a hill, but rather fell off a cliff. with black bullet i enjoyed myself right up to the end. i guess im a type that likes pretty fast pacing, call me impatient maybe? haha, i rated black bullet a 9 and i rate all the shows i watch based on enjoyment, all im seeing is alot of hate for black bullet. i respect everyones opinion but im afraid i dont get why its getting so much hate..?
JJ7712Aug 2, 2014 10:09 AM
Aug 1, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2012
Biscoito said:

It did?
Aug 1, 2014 9:13 PM

Mar 2014
JabonHR said:
Biscoito said:

So did Angel Beats! and it wasn't all that good either.
I have no objections to this statement. episodes 3, 9, and 10 and the very end of 13 were the best parts, along with ep 5 and 4 being super funny, along with the Ova. The rest was them jumping around doing things uninteresting IMO.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Aug 2, 2014 7:36 AM

Nov 2013
JJ7712 said:
Botato said:

exactly my thought. but to be honest i like black bullet. i enjoyed myself watching all 12 episodes. now mahou sensou was different. i enjoyed that right up until the ending were i feel it didnt just go down a hill, but rather fell off a cliff. with black bullet i enjoyed myself right up to the end. i guess im a type that likes pretty fast pacing, call me impatient maybe? haha, i rated black bullet a 9 and i rate all the shows i watch based on enjoyment, all im seeing is alot of hate for black bullet. i respect everyones opinion but im afraid i dont get why its getting so much hate..?
Uhhm.. wut -.-
The reasons for the hate are as clear as the sun. The pacing was shit, which ruined the story and any meaningful characterization the original novels had leaving only loli pandering with a few action scenes. /

I liked it too but you can't really say you don't get the hate on it when not only is it obvious but people who hate the show have expressed their reasons multiple times already; the hate is justified. And yes the hate might be too much at times but the show itself isn't helping either.
Aug 2, 2014 7:39 AM

Jun 2010
mayukachan said:
Biscoito said:

It did?

Actually I found it to be one of fripSide's worst songs.
Aug 2, 2014 8:17 AM

Mar 2012
The writer killed the Dolphin loli and the Cat loli.

that`s my huge disappointment.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Aug 2, 2014 10:08 AM

May 2014
Botato said:
JJ7712 said:

exactly my thought. but to be honest i like black bullet. i enjoyed myself watching all 13 episodes. now mahou sensou was different. i enjoyed that right up until the ending were i feel it didnt just go down a hill, but rather fell off a cliff. with black bullet i enjoyed myself right up to the end. i guess im a type that likes pretty fast pacing, call me impatient maybe? haha, i rated black bullet a 9 and i rate all the shows i watch based on enjoyment, all im seeing is alot of hate for black bullet. i respect everyones opinion but im afraid i dont get why its getting so much hate..?
Uhhm.. wut -.-
The reasons for the hate are as clear as the sun. The pacing was shit, which ruined the story and any meaningful characterization the original novels had leaving only loli pandering with a few action scenes. /

I liked it too but you can't really say you don't get the hate on it when not only is it obvious but people who hate the show have expressed their reasons multiple times already; the hate is justified. And yes the hate might be too much at times but the show itself isn't helping either.

i guess i worded that kind of.. well terribly. i suppose its more or less my own ignorance. because i like the fast pacing and i also really like the main character. so i guess its not that i dont get it more than i don't understand it. like, like i get that people don't like the fast pacing and character but im not sure i understand.

so i suppose what im really searching for is that slap in the face to allow me to realize and understand that... uhhm... sorry does that make sense to you?
Aug 5, 2014 2:33 AM
Jul 2009
DarkPaladinX said:
Marthgun said:

The light novels are actually more inspired by Gen Urobuchi's works rather than Attack On Titans. In fact, the author, Shiden Kanzaki, happens to be a huge fan of Gen Urobuchi's and nitroplus's works. He even originally wanted Rentaro's personality similar to Kiritsugu before ditching that idea stating that it wouldn't fit into the setting he's writing in.

In fact, if you think about it, Black Bullet can considered more of a ripoff to Madoka Magica rather than Attack on Titan since both works are written around the same time period (January-March 2011 for Madoka Magica, and July 2011 for Black Bullet). And there are a lot of similarities with Gen Urobuchi's works such as the grimdark/dystopian setting, tendency to sadistically kill off a good number of characters (most of whom are good people at heart), making good-hearted characters like Enju suffer, literary references, and brutal deconstruction of utilitarianism. I could go on to list of similarities and differences between Gen Urobuchi's works and Black Bullet, but that will require me to make another thread for this.

Is that so? I'm kinda curious to know how different the LN's feel from this adaptation.
Aug 5, 2014 2:54 AM

May 2014
I mean, I want way more of it so I'ts disappointing in that aspect. But I enjoyed what I watched.
Aug 5, 2014 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
Chaosmaster8753 said:

Is that so? I'm kinda curious to know how different the LN's feel from this adaptation.

Well,

[spoiler]the light novels have a lot more exposition explaining what the hell was going on in the world and the plot. For example, the light novels mentioned that some Initiators are powerful enough to unlock a "field" ability (so far, the light novels haven't mentioned much about this, but it also mentioned that the top two initators that killed two of the level 5 Gastreas have the "field" ability). The light novels mentioned more about cursed children politics and there are countries that treat cursed children much worse than Tokyo (United States being one of the countries that treat cursed children worse).

The light novels have better characterization than the anime as well. For example, Kikunojou Tendo was portrayed more like a corrupt politician. The light novels was more in-dept on Kikunojou Tendo and Rentaro's relationship and who Rentaro sees Kikunojou Tendo like his own grandfather after his parents were killed off. Kikunojou Tendo is also portrayed more like a noble anti-villain despite hating the cursed children to the bottom of his heart and wanting genocide on the cursed children. For example, he had plans to evacuate the citizens of Tokyo should Rentaro fail to stop the Hiruko pair despite hiring the Hiruko pair himself. He's also undyingly loyal to Seitenshi despite strong disagreements in regards to the cursed children politics (apparently, his loyalty towards Seitenshi is one of the main reasons why he doesn't much "kick the dog" moments on cursed children).

Finally, some of the scenes from the light novel are drastically changed or removed. For example, the group of cursed children that Rentaro to that were killed in episode 10 was far more brutal in the light novels. The said cursed children that were killed were brutally beaten, lynched, burned, and gang raped by a group of civilians that Rentaro protected.

Apparently, there are a lot of similarities with Gen Urobuchi's work (literary references, dystopian setting, killing off a good number of characters out of sadistic glee, philosophical themes, and deconstruction of utilitarianism). Unfortunately, the folks at Kadokawa thinks Black Bullet isn't popular enough to get a proper two-cour anime series that would have covered up to volume 6 and decide to cut it down to 13 episodes that covered up to volume 4 and make it like a generica grimdark lolicon anime. And sadly, we would never see the brutal deconstrution of Rentaro's utilitarianism (since that was explored in volume 5).

So yeah, the original light novels were much more darker and had more exposition and details than the anime. Apparently, the fact that the author is too dependent on exposition is one of my biggest criticism in his writings (in fact, one of the biggest criticisms about anime adaptions from light novels is that because many light novels are heavy on exposition, most of them are cut out when an anime is adapted).
removed-userAug 5, 2014 9:05 PM
Oct 6, 2014 7:42 AM
Jan 2011
Before watching this, I had my friend tell me it was just like Guilty Crown, so I guess I was a little more prepared than most. I was expecting a piece of shit, but this show was not quite that
Oct 7, 2014 5:43 PM

Jun 2012
When I think back on it, the anime was handled pretty bad. Like most everyone that didn't like the show, I felt that the story went by way too fast for my liking, and huge events felt small and insignificant because they only lasted like 2 episodes. Honestly, I would have been happy if the first season was just covered up to the battle with Kagetane Hiruko. It would have been nice to get to know the back stories of some of the characters that ended up dying. Heck, it would have been good if they kept them alive long enough to actually develop character.

But then I remember how much fun I had watching it. I liked most of the characters, the story was easy to follow (even though it felt like it was going at light speed..) and there was a good balance of action and cute / funny moments. Plus I just can't freaking get over Enju... and Tina... and pretty much all of the other cute characters ・( ̄∀ ̄)・:*: (plus Kagetane Hiruko who I just thought was super cool)
Oct 12, 2014 2:07 AM

Apr 2014
It wasn't too bad but not good either and the ending was so dissapointing.
Nov 24, 2014 1:49 PM

Oct 2007
of course i am disappointed, the anime was garbage, plot was non-existant and there were fucking lolies every fucking where
Nov 24, 2014 2:04 PM

Apr 2013
It has a lot of loli so I see no problem there
Nov 24, 2014 2:09 PM

Dec 2013
I personally enjoyed it, i don't think it is bad.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Nov 29, 2014 5:02 AM

Jul 2014
I didn't exactly hate Black Bullet since I actually haven't heard of it until I actually began watching it (after my boyfriend recommended it to me).

I still found it enjoyable but I did feel like there' s a huge chunk missing from the show. I liked the concept of it, the plot was really good. But the delivery seemed rushed. I think it would've been loads better if they made it into a 25 episode anime.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 11, 2014 1:30 PM
Jun 2014
PriestSlayer said:

same here. Just the ending was quite poor. its like story ended in half.
Dec 18, 2014 6:39 PM
Dec 2008
As a non-manga reader, I was definitely disappointed. Like some others said, the rush and lack of details absolutely killed it, nvm how at multiple points I found myself asking "why" this or that is going on or why something else isn't happening. I'm not going to say it would have been better as a longer anime though, imo 13 episodes is more than enough to create some solid development. Ok let me stop, because I just discovered this is another series I'll get pissed about the longer I think about it
Dec 23, 2014 7:36 AM

Apr 2010
This anime is nothing more than a pedo fest. One of the biggest wastes of time in my life when it comes to watching anime.
Dec 23, 2014 7:38 AM

Jan 2013
at least i got to jerk off to tina sprout

looking back id say i came to enjoy this series.
Dec 23, 2014 7:48 AM

Dec 2013
Peralisc said:
of course i am disappointed, the anime was garbage, plot was non-existant and there were fucking lolies every fucking where

Omg couldn't said it better :D
Dec 23, 2014 7:49 AM

Jan 2013
robis798 said:
Peralisc said:
of course i am amazed, the anime was flawless, plot wasnt important, and there were fucking lolies every fucking where for me to jerk off to

Omg couldn't said it better :D
Jan 5, 2015 4:19 AM

Jan 2014
I actually like this series.

Just finished Episode 13 and hoping to see a season 2. I want to see how the whole Cursed Children politics play out. Will the citizens mistreat the Cursed Children even worse than before? Because they nearly got wiped out by the Gastrea. Or will they start treating the Cursed Children better? Because they were saved thanks to the efforts of the Cursed Children and their Promoters. The army was no help at all.

And I want to see what happens to the singing girl. She survived I think so maybe she will have a part to play later on.

Maybe I will buy some original DVDs from Japan to help boost the sales. Working towards a Season 2! This anime has martial arts! Guns! Swords! Super-powered girls! High school government officers! The weirdness that defines Japanese anime! I say BANZAI Black Bullet! :)
Jul 5, 2015 2:00 PM

Jul 2014
raenydays said:
I didn't exactly hate Black Bullet since I actually haven't heard of it until I actually began watching it (after my boyfriend recommended it to me).

I still found it enjoyable but I did feel like there' s a huge chunk missing from the show. I liked the concept of it, the plot was really good. But the delivery seemed rushed. I think it would've been loads better if they made it into a 25 episode anime.
Kippix said:
PriestSlayer said:

same here. Just the ending was quite poor. its like story ended in half.
Jul 16, 2015 2:11 PM

Jun 2013
Personally, this series was somewhere in the middle. It did feel a bit rushed because they attempted to push a lot of material into 13 episodes.

Also, Rentaro was presented as this weak, Civil Officer that easily got his arse handed to him. All of a sudden, he becomes a badass when his Varanium limbs are revealed. Why wasn't he presented like that in the first place? There was no area of development in between the initial reveal and the Varanium. Should have just presented him as an overconfident Civil Officer then show him progressing and getting stronger. However, I did like that he showed compassion towards the Cursed Children.

Tina Sprout is my favorite! :]
Aug 6, 2015 2:21 AM
Jul 2018
I feel like this series could have been a lot better than it was. There were plenty of positive and negatives for me.

+The world/story was interesting
+The show having a major focus on society's view towards the Cursed Children
+Actually being dark and depressing, for a genre that typically is more light-hearted
+/- Rentaro was pretty much a typical action harem MC. Nothing special
-Pacing was way too quick
-So many unanswered questions and plot points left to be resolved (yeah, I know it's based on a light novel series, but i'm just judging the anime here)
-The thing with Kisara at the end came out of nowhere. Seriously. There was a minor hint in episode 12, but that was it.

So, i'm going with a 7/10 rating for now. If there is a second season, I might have to reevaluate that score. I'd be interested in reading the light novels, but I know the fan translation didn't get very far, and the official English releases is going to take awhile to get past where the anime ended.
Aug 7, 2015 5:29 AM

Jun 2013
since i never read the ln's, i cant judge how the adaptation was, but i did enjoy the anime alot.
Dec 26, 2015 7:21 PM
Jun 2015
SolviteWoTaberu said:

Yes, because the light novel series is great.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2014

521 by FZREMAKE »»
May 11, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2014

383 by FZREMAKE »»
May 11, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

191 by mon_ke_po »»
Mar 16, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2014

434 by mon_ke_po »»
Mar 14, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2014

397 by Karva1 »»
Mar 3, 7:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.